PDA

View Full Version : Steelers select WR James Washington in the 2nd round of 2018 draft

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 08:17 PM

st33lersguy
04-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Bryant's replacement.

teegre
04-27-2018, 08:39 PM
In my mock, I flip-flopped between him & Kerryon Johnson. Like, every time that I re-read it, I switched players.

In other words, I like this pick.

His 40 was okay, but when he has the pads on, he maintains his speed; ergo, he’s actually one of the fastest receivers (if not THE fastest receiver) in the draft. He fights for the ball. He made Mason Rudolph look good.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 09:04 PM
In my mock, I flip-flopped between him & Kerryon Johnson. Like, every time that I re-read it, I switched players.

His 40 was okay, but when he has the pads on, he maintains his speed; ergo, he’s actually one of the fastest receivers (if not THE fastest receiver) in the draft. He fights for the ball. He made Mason Rudolph look good.

I hope James Washington makes Mason Rudolph look good for many more years to come!

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 09:04 PM

I’m pretty sure this is the definition of irony.

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 09:07 PM
I am going to reserve judgment because I hated the JJSM pick last year.

I am okay with receiver this year but I really thought we would go bigger. Doesn't ultimately matter if Washington is good.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 09:33 PM
I am going to reserve judgment because I hated the JJSM pick last year.

I am okay with receiver this year but I really thought we would go bigger. Doesn't ultimately matter if Washington is good.

when you say bigger you must mean taller because James Washington is built like a brick shithouse...

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 09:42 PM
when you say bigger you must mean taller because James Washington is built like a brick shithouse...

Yeah taller is what I meant.

Shoes
04-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Yeah taller is what I meant.

His arms are nearly as long as his body!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2018, 10:28 PM
Wasn't sure if it was him or Chark they wanted. He is a big body guy that will go up and get the football, while Chark will run away from defenders. They had the chance at both, so got the guy they wanted and suddenly the Steelers #3 WR position is solid. Pencil in the ususal suspects like Hunter and DHB and this season I expect Marcus Tucker to make it as the #6 WR. Nice pick.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Wasn't sure if it was him or Chark they wanted. He is a big body guy that will go up and get the football, while Chark will run away from defenders. They had the chance at both, so got the guy they wanted and suddenly the Steelers #3 WR position is solid. Pencil in the ususal suspects like Hunter and DHB and this season I expect Marcus Tucker to make it as the #6 WR. Nice pick.

they will probably re-sign Eli Rogers again also after the doctors clear him.

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 12:53 AM
He's a WR and the Steelers drafted him. Nuff said.

teegre
04-28-2018, 01:25 AM
I hope James Washington makes Mason Rudolph look good for many more years to come!

:nervous:

- - - Updated - - -

I’m pretty sure this is the definition of irony.

:hatsoff:

BlackAndGold
04-28-2018, 02:00 AM

teegre
04-28-2018, 06:29 AM
He wore 28... I wonder if he’ll wear 82.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 10:46 AM
I just rewatched his Combine field drills and he caught the ball well in the gauntlet, ran good patterns, tracked the ball well and adjusted on some over the shoulder go routes. Some of the comments were as follows:

Mayock
-he's thick and muscular, built like a RB
-when you put on his tape, he plays bigger and runs faster than he looks
-he's really good at tracking the football on deep passes and making adjustments, it comes naturally.
-at 6ft or 6'1" or whatever he is, he isn't the biggest guy, but he goes up and challenges for those 50-50 balls with an aggressiveness that most guys his size don't.

Daniel Jeremiah
-I see a lot of Pierre Garcon in him for what he does with the football after the catch. (implied he runs strong and doesn't go down easy)
-another pro comparison I heard was Chris Chambers, the WR from Wisconsin who was very strong as well

Michael Irvin
- I really like this Washington kid. He runs well, catches well, looks like a really good player. (then as Washington adjusts to a deep 9 thrown over the wrong shoulder..."nice adjustment on the deep ball, which he does naturally")

I also am gleaning that he is a farmer, an agriculture major, from a small town and appears to have a great work ethic. Some of the scouting reports say that he fights the ball at times and isn't a natural hands catcher, but he looked natural in the gauntlet and caught a quick out in drill and got the ball in and turned upfield abruptly, where other WR's rounded it out more. I'm really starting to think he is an instant improvement to the WR corps on day 1. Might be a competition to see who works harder between AB, JuJu and JW.....something tells me this kid is just gonna grind and be great.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 11:12 AM
I just rewatched his Combine field drills and he caught the ball well in the gauntlet, ran good patterns, tracked the ball well and adjusted on some over the shoulder go routes. Some of the comments were as follows:

Mayock
-he's thick and muscular, built like a RB
-when you put on his tape, he plays bigger and runs faster than he looks
-he's really good at tracking the football on deep passes and making adjustments, it comes naturally.
-at 6ft or 6'1" or whatever he is, he isn't the biggest guy, but he goes up and challenges for those 50-50 balls with an aggressiveness that most guys his size don't.

Daniel Jeremiah
-I see a lot of Pierre Garcon in him for what he does with the football after the catch. (implied he runs strong and doesn't go down easy)
-another pro comparison I heard was Chris Chambers, the WR from Wisconsin who was very strong as well

Michael Irvin
- I really like this Washington kid. He runs well, catches well, looks like a really good player. (then as Washington adjusts to a deep 9 thrown over the wrong shoulder..."nice adjustment on the deep ball, which he does naturally")

I also am gleaning that he is a farmer, an agriculture major, from a small town and appears to have a great work ethic. Some of the scouting reports say that he fights the ball at times and isn't a natural hands catcher, but he looked natural in the gauntlet and caught a quick out in drill and got the ball in and turned upfield abruptly, where other WR's rounded it out more. I'm really starting to think he is an instant improvement to the WR corps on day 1. Might be a competition to see who works harder between AB, JuJu and JW.....something tells me this kid is just gonna grind and be great.

Thanks for sharing all that.

Anyone else getting the vibe that Washington's ceiling is like a thicker version of Steve Smith Sr.? I'm not trying to put the kid in the HOF or anything, but I just mean a stocky, fiesty guy that plays far faster and better than his testing #'s indicate?

I mean take a look: http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5881 and https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-washington?id=32462018-0002-5599-27dc-5f82fa873706

However, I always always over-rate WR prospects. Mostly because I forget that half the time in college they are covered by guys who won't even sniff the NFL.

stillers4me
04-28-2018, 12:57 PM

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Thanks for sharing all that.

Anyone else getting the vibe that Washington's ceiling is like a thicker version of Steve Smith Sr.? I'm not trying to put the kid in the HOF or anything, but I just mean a stocky, fiesty guy that plays far faster and better than his testing #'s indicate?

I mean take a look: http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5881 and https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-washington?id=32462018-0002-5599-27dc-5f82fa873706

However, I always always over-rate WR prospects. Mostly because I forget that half the time in college they are covered by guys who won't even sniff the NFL.

Testing #'s are ok to look at, but Steve Smith didn't succeed on testing #'s. It was that 400 lb chip on his shoulder that he played with every day. I think the takeaway is that Washington isn't as undersized as Smith, and not as shifty laterally as Smith, but plays bigger and faster than he looks like. He may not have that huge chip on his shoulder, but looks like he competes.

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 01:47 PM
If I recall correctly, AB ran a 4.56 at the combine. Pedestrian. He’s OK in pads.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 01:49 PM
If I recall correctly, AB ran a 4.56 at the combine. Pedestrian. He’s OK in pads.

yeah, not bad...

43Hitman
04-28-2018, 01:50 PM

The problem is that he just doesn't work hard enough.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2018, 01:51 PM

between AB not working hard enough and Ben not watching enough film it's no wonder we don't win the Super Bowl every year.

43Hitman
04-28-2018, 01:53 PM
between AB not working hard enough and Ben not watching enough film it's no wonder we don't win the Super Bowl every year.

That falls squarely on the coaches shoulders. Obviously they are not motivated and haven't been taught good work ethic, attention to detail, etc.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Testing #'s are ok to look at, but Steve Smith didn't succeed on testing #'s. It was that 400 lb chip on his shoulder that he played with every day. I think the takeaway is that Washington isn't as undersized as Smith, and not as shifty laterally as Smith, but plays bigger and faster than he looks like. He may not have that huge chip on his shoulder, but looks like he competes.

I agree with all that. If Washington comes in and works like AB and JuJu - he is going to be a pretty darn good WR.

pczach
04-28-2018, 03:45 PM

If only Ben watched more film, studied the playbook harder, and really worked on knowing his assignments, he would have been on the same page as Martavis Bryant more often and wouldn't have been shaking his head as much after plays.

:bounce:

DesertSteel
04-28-2018, 03:53 PM
He's alright on special teams.

stillers4me
04-28-2018, 03:57 PM
He's alright on special teams.

Speaking of special teams......Tomlin only has one pick left to get his next speedy 5'2" returner. :heh:

ALLD
04-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Speaking of special teams......Tomlin only has one pick left to get his next speedy 5'2" returner. :heh:

Or a 5'7" CB to cover TEs.

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2018, 12:54 AM
Oklahoma State receiver James Washington becomes Steelers new deep threat

by RAY FITTIPALDO
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
APR 27, 2018

The Steelers were without a deep threat on their receiving corps for about 24 hours. General manager Kevin Colbert wasted no time finding a replacement for Martavis Bryant by selecting receiver James Washington out of Oklahoma State with the No. 60 overall pick in the second round Friday night.

One day after trading Bryant to the Raiders, the Steelers found the most productive receiver in the country available to them. A unanimous All-America selection, Washington led the nation with 1,549 receiving yards. He posted nine 100-yard games.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/27/Oklahoma-State-receiver-James-Washington-becomes-Steelers-new-deep-threat/stories/201804270192

ALLD
04-29-2018, 08:12 AM
This could be their best pick in their draft and hopefully the player Limas Sweed was supposed to become.

Texasteel
04-29-2018, 10:49 AM
ou

He does look thick through the body. I have an idea he could be a load to bring down in the open field.

BlackAndGold
04-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Mojouw
04-29-2018, 09:44 PM

On one hand, that catch. On the other, was t that likely Rudolph air mailing that ball?

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Aggressive when faced with contested catches. Boy, if Martavis ever got good at that he would have 1300 yards and double digit TD's every year like clockwork

BlackAndGold
04-29-2018, 09:54 PM
On one hand, that catch. On the other, was t that likely Rudolph air mailing that ball?

Rudolph had a great pro day, but I take this gif as Washington making a great/tough catch, something he'll have to do on the NFL level.

Shoes
04-29-2018, 10:09 PM
Rudolph had a great pro day, but I take this gif as Washington making a great/tough catch, something he'll have to do on the NFL level.

Indeed, I think Ben has thrown a few like that over the years.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2018, 02:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxOfaDD7gc

teegre
04-30-2018, 06:27 AM

That has been my concern: did/does James Washington make Rudolph look better than he is?

Texasteel
04-30-2018, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=teegre;641424]That has been my concern: did/does James Washington make Rudolph look better than he is?[/QUOTE

You may be right teeg, but then, there was a time that could have been said about Bradshaw, and several other pretty good QBs. After Friday I became one of the biggest Rudolph fans.

86WARD
04-30-2018, 07:43 AM
Washington looks very thick to be a WR. Looks a little bit like David Boston. The Cardinals version...

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 11:22 AM
That has been my concern: did/does James Washington make Rudolph look better than he is?

THe other WR was pretty much a physical mismatch against the Big 12 as well. That being said, Stefon Diggs and Adam Theilen spent most of last season making Keenum look good all the way to the brink of a SB. I think Rudolph is better than Keenum...so...

Everyone is going to think that I don't like the Rudolph pick, but I really do. It is great in the 3rd round. It carries almost no risk. I just think that he isn't as "pro ready" as some of his #'s make him seem.

JayC
04-30-2018, 06:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/LrEx65c.jpg

i think he is going to be a beast but we'll see.

Shoes
04-30-2018, 07:36 PM

His arms and legs are the same length! :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

THe other WR was pretty much a physical mismatch against the Big 12 as well. That being said, Stefon Diggs and Adam Theilen spent most of last season making Keenum look good all the way to the brink of a SB. I think Rudolph is better than Keenum...so...

Everyone is going to think that I don't like the Rudolph pick, but I really do. It is great in the 3rd round. It carries almost no risk. I just think that he isn't as "pro ready" as some of his #'s make him seem.

Lots of people didn't think Watt was either.

teegre
05-01-2018, 05:51 AM
You may be right teeg, but then, there was a time that could have been said about Bradshaw, and several other pretty good QBs. After Friday I became one of the biggest Rudolph fans.

Born2Steel posted something before the draft (I have no ideas in which thread; so, I hope that he posts it again) about how Mason Rudolph was the only QB in this draft who checked off all 7 boxes (on some sort of QB characteristics chart).

BlackAndGold
05-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Born2Steel posted something before the draft (I have no ideas in which thread; so, I hope that he posts it again) about how Mason Rudolph was the only QB in this draft who checked off all 7 boxes (on some sort of QB characteristics chart).

Maybe it's another set of 7 rules but Rudolph does check off Bill Parcells' 7 QB rules

3 years as starter? Yes – 3
Is he a senior? Yes
Did he graduate? Yes
Did he start 30 games? Yes – 41
Did he win 23 games? Yes – 32
TD:INT ratio at least 2:1? Yes – 92:26
Completion percentage over 60? Yes – 63.2%
7/7 criteria met

(He and Mayfield were on the only QB's to go 7 for 7)

ALLD
05-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Does he remind anybody of Mike Wallace #17?

Texasteel
05-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Does he remind anybody of Mike Wallace #17?

No,,,, he's jumping to make the catch.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Everyone is going to think that I don't like the Rudolph pick, but I really do. It is great in the 3rd round. It carries almost no risk.

I just think that he isn't as "pro ready" as some of his #'s make him seem.

Well, it sounds like he will have the benefit of several years of tutelage under the amazing and timeless Big Ben.