PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Select S Terrell Edmunds In First Round Of 2018 NFL Draft

86WARD
04-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Thoughts? I don’t love the pick...should I? 6’1, 217 lbs. pretty big safety. Could he add weight and go to ILB?

BlackAndGold
04-26-2018, 10:26 PM

st33lersguy
04-26-2018, 10:27 PM
Really hope he can play free safety. Reid and Bates could play free safety, and I thought they were better prospects

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Thoughts? I don’t love the pick...should I? 6’1, 217 lbs. pretty big safety. Could he add weight and go to ILB?

they said he would start out as a dime ILB...

BlackAndGold
04-26-2018, 10:31 PM
Posted in the draft thread.

Start trading back.

Cyphon25
04-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Went through a little tape a few minutes ago and I do like what I see initially. Major concern is that I feel like they could have traded back and got him. I just don't understand why they refuse to trade back.

Shoes
04-26-2018, 10:42 PM
I'm fine with the pick. Welcome to Pittsburgh Terrell!

86WARD
04-26-2018, 10:45 PM
Went through a little tape a few minutes ago and I do like what I see initially. Major concern is that I feel like they could have traded back and got him. I just don't understand why they refuse to trade back.

Baltimore was clearly looking to move up. I think rumors were that the Bears and Raiders were on the phone trying to get into the first as well.

You never know though...they may have been trying to....just didn’t get the compensation they needed. The benefit of that 5th year option though on a first round player could be huge.

I always remember the ton of flack that the Seahawks got for drafting Bruce Irvin “too early”. I don’t fault teams for it...if that’s their guy, then go for it. Clearly, the Steelers thought he was the best safety...

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2018, 10:46 PM

my thoughts also, the Steelers must have believed another team like the Browns who need a safety would pick Edmunds before they had another shot at him...

Shoes
04-26-2018, 10:50 PM
my thoughts also, the Steelers must have believed another team like the Browns who need a safety would pick Edmunds before they had another shot at him...

You're probably correct. I think this will work out fine and it happened without a dinner or visit, I think.. :lol:

st33lersguy
04-26-2018, 10:52 PM
Better than picking Kordell 2.0 (aka Lamar Jackson who is now Baltimore's problem)

pczach
04-26-2018, 10:53 PM

That was my concern too. I like the player, but I would have loved to see them move back and still get him since that was their guy and pick up an additional draft pick.

I'm ok with the pick, I think he's a very good player.

I think they have more planned for him than just a dime LB. I stated in the draft thread that they may see him as a player like Deone Bucannon. A player that can be moved all over the field and give you advantages in matchups and the ability to fool offenses with his versatility. He's a good tackler, and he can cover with good size.

I'm anxious to see how they use him.

Shoes
04-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Better than picking Kordell 2.0 (aka Lamar Jackson who is now Baltimore's problem)

and hairball has to deal with his mother.

BlackAndGold
04-26-2018, 10:54 PM
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/terrell-edmunds

teegre
04-26-2018, 10:56 PM

As I said in the Draft Thread...

My buddy is a VaTech fan and he thinks that they’ll play Edmunds as a small ILB.

I thought the same thing (drafting a hybrid) when I mocked Fred Warner to us.

SUMMATION:
At 28, I think we could have gotten a better value, but I like the position that they are trying to create.

- - - Updated - - -

You're probably correct. I think this will work out fine and it happened without a dinner or visit, I think.. :lol:

:applaudit:

BlackAndGold
04-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Just can't believe they took Edmunds over both Bates and Reid.

JayC
04-26-2018, 11:02 PM
meh.. only time will tell.

steelreserve
04-26-2018, 11:03 PM
Honestly, this was one where I had to go and look up who the guy was because he was not even on my radar at all. I'll just have to trust that they know what they're doing, sounds like maybe they're thinking of creating a roamer / "wild card" role, which could be exciting.

If it's just a straight safety pick, then I'd kind of have to go wtf, we just signed one and have two likely starters there, with bigger holes elsewhere.

teegre
04-26-2018, 11:03 PM

Aside from his height, that’s extremely impressive.

Shoes
04-26-2018, 11:06 PM

Probably because they might know a bit more than we do. I thought they would have taken Landry. I think we get too zeroed in on visits and dinner. I'm just delighted we passed on Jackson and his mother. :chuckle:

pczach
04-26-2018, 11:06 PM
Aside from his height, that’s extremely impressive.

Yes it is.

BlackAndGold
04-26-2018, 11:09 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Probably because they might know a bit more than we do. I thought they would have taken Landry. I think we get too zeroed in on visits and dinner. :chuckle:

Of course. There was a connection to Edmunds with Tomlin being a Virginia native, everyone ignored it.

Three years in a row they take a player that was considered a day 2 prospect.

pczach
04-26-2018, 11:10 PM

Good stuff there.

For the fans here that have been losing their minds for a few years with all the missed tackles, this is a sight for sore eyes.

The kid can flat out tackle, and is good in coverage with good size. He's not tall, but he plays strong at 217.

st33lersguy
04-26-2018, 11:10 PM
This is a high ceiling low floor pick. His ceiling is he becomes what they lost in Ryan Shazier. His floor is 2017 Mike Mitchell.

pczach
04-26-2018, 11:11 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Of course. There was a connection to Edmunds with Tomlin being a Virginia native, everyone ignored it.

And the other 2 were homeruns.

Shoes
04-26-2018, 11:14 PM
Good stuff there.

For the fans here that have been losing their minds for a few years with all the missed tackles, this is a sight for sore eyes.

The kid can flat out tackle, and is good in coverage with good size. He's not tall, but he plays strong at 217.

Amen!

Fire Goodell
04-26-2018, 11:23 PM

Well that's bound to happen when your pick isn't until the end of the round. All the no-brainer picks for round 1 are pretty much all gone by #15

In any case, the Steelers draft picks usually aren't the sexy picks, but success speaks for itself

BlackAndGold
04-26-2018, 11:44 PM

Have to give Jason credit(because I dismiss his reports), he mentioned a week ago that Terrell could go in round 1.

st33lersguy
04-26-2018, 11:50 PM
Another thing is that this pick makes me even more glad Lake is gone. More confidence in Tom Bradley getting Edmunds to reach his ceiling

Mojouw
04-26-2018, 11:59 PM

Well that is absolutely ridiculous and fits their pattern. Crazy athletes that they now have to mold into a role.

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Well that is absolutely ridiculous and fits their pattern. Crazy athletes that they now have to mold into a role.

Yep. The same trend that started with Shazier in 14'.

st33lersguy
04-27-2018, 12:28 AM
New pattern, 2nd year in a row they selected a guy from a competitive football family who is related to someone who is/was in the NFL

DesertSteel
04-27-2018, 12:47 AM
Who's they?

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 12:50 AM
28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Terrell Edmunds, S, Virginia Tech

Why they did it: The Steelers needed to upgrade a secondary that had far too many breakdowns late last season, and they coveted Edmunds’ versatility. He can play free safety, strong safety and linebacker in sub-packages. He’s physical and runs a 4.47-second 40. He was a leader for a Virginia Tech defense that featured his 19-year-old brother, Tremaine, who was drafted 16th overall by Buffalo. “He checks all the boxes,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Biggest question: How do the Steelers replenish two key positions at inside linebacker and wide receiver? The loss of Martavis Bryant via a trade to Oakland and Ryan Shazier to injury leaves the Steelers with two massive holes entering Day 2. General manager Kevin Colbert doesn’t seem worried. “There are good players available,” he said. There are questions about whether Edmunds was a first-round prospect, but the Steelers say he was the top player on their board. -- Jeremy Fowler

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/274225/pros-and-cons-for-every-2018-nfl-first-round-draft-pick

Craic
04-27-2018, 01:04 AM
Honestly, this was one where I had to go and look up who the guy was because he was not even on my radar at all. I'll just have to trust that they know what they're doing, sounds like maybe they're thinking of creating a roamer / "wild card" role, which could be exciting.

If it's just a straight safety pick, then I'd kind of have to go wtf, we just signed one and have two likely starters there, with bigger holes elsewhere.

Honestly, I think this is it. As I watched some of his highlight reel, he reminded me of a poor man's Troy P. So, if that's their idea, then it makes sense. Maybe they're envisioning a lot of nickel defense this year. They have guys on the outside that can play man coverage. Now, they have a guy that can come inside and stop the run, rush the QB, or go out in coverage. That would also account for not focusing on ILB, which, if we don't draft at that position until late, will be really telling.

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 03:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=m8iIOXCwhLU

stillers4me
04-27-2018, 05:33 AM

86WARD
04-27-2018, 05:35 AM
So after the first day of the draft, on paper, the Steelers are worse off on offense than they were going into the draft and potentially a little better on defense. Day 2 has to be a big day...

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 05:37 AM
So after the first day of the draft, on paper, the Steelers are worse off on offense than they were going into the draft and potentially a little better on defense. Day 2 has to be a big day...

Starting to believe they go WR in round 2, then ILB round 3.

stillers4me
04-27-2018, 05:51 AM

- - - Updated - - -

NCSteeler
04-27-2018, 07:15 AM

- - - Updated - - -

989707123645927424It certainly seemed the timing of the martavious trade meant they were looking to move up to get an ILB. I'm not sure what to think about this guy other than all the worthy ILBs were gone and this guy seems to help that problem out a bit. I don't see martavious as a huge loss but I'm sure they will find a guy who can fill in. We did resign Hunter right

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
04-27-2018, 07:34 AM
My first reaction was just stunned because I (like everyone else) was not expecting this. Then I disliked it more, but then started to like it more the more I learned and the more positives I saw. I like that they got someone who can play free safety, versatility, and could be a dynamic playmaker. Plus safety was still a need, we still don't know what we have in Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett is a high risk to miss some games due to injury, and no one else engenders confidence

LLT
04-27-2018, 07:35 AM

I think it was by design. With the stud ILB's off the board...and the obvious need at that position....I think their philosophy switched towards running a dime defense. By design they can keep Edmunds, Burnett, and Davis on the field, using Edmunds much like they used Troy several years ago.

Bates and Reid are more traditional safeties.....but don't provide the big body AND speed that Edmunds would as a hybrid Safety/Linebacker.

Shazier is 6'1 and 229 lbs, compared to Edmunds who is is 6'1 and 220 lbs

Both Reid and Bates are about 6'1 and 200 lbs.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 07:39 AM
And the other 2 were homeruns.

not sure I would call Artie Burns a homerun at least not at this juncture , but TJ is looking like one

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 07:48 AM
I think it was by design. With the stud ILB's off the board...and the obvious need at that position....I think their philosophy switched to running a dime defense. By design they can keep Edmunds, Burnett, and Davis on the field, using Edmunds much like they used Troy several years ago. Bates and Reid are more traditional safeties.....but don't provide the big body AND speed that Edmunds would as a hybrid Safety/Linebacker.

Shazier is 6'1 and 229 lbs, compared to Edmunds who is is 6'1 and 220 lbs

Both Reid and Bates are about 6'1 and 200 lbs.

this is probably as close to right as anything , I still do not love the pick ... think they could have got him later perhaps as late as their second round pick without moving ... that said the draft is a crap shoot and you just never know ..

I wont dog the kid as he does have some skills that will lend themselves useful and he seemingly has a high ceiling ... lets give it a chance to work itself out and see how he can take on a role in helping this team ..

as LLT eludes to he is just 9 pounds lighter than Shazier if he could bulk up just a bit and move to ILB the linebacker issue could be solved without most realizing it ..

lets give it a chance to work itself out

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 07:59 AM
got this off twitter ( wish I could remember how to link a tweet correctly here )

Tommy Jaggi‏ @TommyJaggi (https://twitter.com/TommyJaggi) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/TommyJaggi/status/989849171606765568)

Again in terms of athleticism for newest #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash) safety Terrell Edmunds, he's among the very best in the draft class. His 138.9 SPARQ score makes him a 97.2% athlete compared to #NFL (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash) safeties. Better than notable names like Justin Reid and Derwin James #NFLDraft (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLDraft?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/NFLDraft18/NFLDraft18.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLDraft?src=hash) #SteelersDraft (https://twitter.com/hashtag/SteelersDraft?src=hash)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbyl71gVwAAWhPh.jpg:large

86WARD
04-27-2018, 08:02 AM
After sleeping on it, I will go on early record as saying I don’t like the pick. I’m not sure exactly why, maybe I thought there were better safeties out there or maybe I thought they reached and could’ve done something by trading back. It’s nothing against Edmunds, just a gut feeling that he’s just gonna be a “blah” type of player...

Had a similar feeling when they took Rasheed Mendenhall (I had more hate for the Mendenhall pick though) and a similar feeling when they took Timmons...soooooooo...lol.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2018, 08:06 AM

On paper yes, but on the field they are better with Bryant gone. Do you recall how many times he looked like he gave up on footballs, or that Ben was yelling at him after the incompletion because he didn't look like he ran the correct route? The team culture is better with Bryant's attitude gone and they will draft a good young replacement today. Defensively Bostic is better than Spence and Burnett is better than Mitchell. Edmunds is an explosive athlete at safety that probably becomes the replacement for Golden on ST instantly, while working his way to being the SS of the future for the Steelers.

IMO, getting rid of Bryant and getting a 3rd round pick for him today is such a great move.

Moose
04-27-2018, 08:53 AM
I'm ALL IN on any player coming in that will do some pass rushing and actually TACKLING !! Hope the kid will pan out for us, GOOD LUCK Terrell ! I'd love to see some glimpse of a young Troy.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 09:01 AM
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/989866427233505283

Edmunds #22 in this clip ( granted just 1 play ) but still

DesertSteel
04-27-2018, 10:36 AM
What irritates me with all these talking heads and draft grade gurus is that the only knock I've read on Edmunds is that "no one had him mocked in the 1st round." Steelers get a 'D' from one site because everyone had him mocked in the 2nd - no mention of his caliber of play or potential. It's laughable.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Big, athletic, smart, versatile, physical, great tackler, team leader, pedigree.

He can also cover tight ends.

Good fit, good pick.

B+

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 10:45 AM
What irritates me with all these talking heads and draft grade gurus is that the only knock I've read on Edmunds is that "no one had him mocked in the 1st round." Steelers get a 'D' from one site because everyone had him mocked in the 2nd - no mention of his caliber of play or potential. It's laughable.

Dude I stopped listening to them when they all graded his brother so highly. All they ever said was athlete, athlete, athlete and never even mentioned his poor play on the field.

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 11:13 AM
After sleeping on it, I’m still not sure what I think. I do suspect that part of the impetus of the Bryant trade was to move up and get a ILB in Round 1 - then they couldn’t pull the second part off. Still, they got more for Bryant than I thought possible and while I am always hesitant to move established talent for lottery tickets - it makes sense. Back to the actual pick, I’m not sure I get it.

Edmunds would appear to duplicate the skill sets of Burnett and Davis to a degree. More than the player, I am struggling to envision the scheme moving forward. Year one, Edmunds plays some as a Dime package player. Okay. Where the hell does Cam Sutton play? Never? Year Two, Edmunds takes over for Burnett? Then why sign Burnett in a cold safety market? Just role the dice and wait till after the draft. I have to think they envisioned Burnett playing more than one year here. So what does Edmunds do in year 2? In all of this, what is Davis doing? I mean they keep saying he might not play FS and Burnett might. If that were the case, then Edmunds makes even less sense, unless they want to bail on Davis and just won’t come out and say it. Other versions have Haden moving to FS (a move Joe himself has talked about) Sutton starting outside and Davis moving back to SS. Where do you fit Edmunds in there?

I refuse to believe that the Steelers drafted a years 2-5 sub-package player in round one. So he’s a linebacker? Or Sean Davis is a dead man walking? I really don’t understand where this all goes long term. But I don’t have to, I guess. The thing I keep coming back to is that if Edmunds is a LB, then almost all of his negative scouting comments go away. WHile he may be rough in man coverage for a safety, he is amazing at it for a linebacker. While he bites on routes for a safety, he is better than most NFL linebackers, etc. etc.

Oh, yeah I do suspect this means that JJ Wilcox is gone.

LLT
04-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Spot on.

The Steelers had a specific need and they saw that it could be filled with Bostic in the base defense and a big-bodied Safety in a Dime defense....the talking heads can't wrap their head around it.

Not saying that it "definitely" will pan out....but they need to at least TRY and understand the process instead of being so "scheme myopic".

steelreserve
04-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I think this is it. As I watched some of his highlight reel, he reminded me of a poor man's Troy P. So, if that's their idea, then it makes sense. Maybe they're envisioning a lot of nickel defense this year. They have guys on the outside that can play man coverage. Now, they have a guy that can come inside and stop the run, rush the QB, or go out in coverage. That would also account for not focusing on ILB, which, if we don't draft at that position until late, will be really telling.

I read that we (and most teams) now use some version of the nickel more than half the time simply due to the offensive personnel matchups. In a way, it's like a second "base" defense. A guy like this could do a lot of things in that setup, whether it's a 3-3-5 or a 2-4-5. One thing I don't know is whether he can play like a LB against the run, or is strictly limited to DB stuff, which could have a big effect on how he's used.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2018, 11:26 AM
I read that we (and most teams) now use some version of the nickel more than half the time simply due to the offensive personnel matchups. In a way, it's like a second "base" defense. A guy like this could do a lot of things in that setup, whether it's a 3-3-5 or a 2-4-5. One thing I don't know is whether he can play like a LB against the run, or is strictly limited to DB stuff, which could have a big effect on how he's used.

Sounds to me if he puts on 10 or 15 lbs he could be a very good fit at LB.

DesertSteel
04-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Maybe.............. this is the guy who can cover Gronk. Dude has a 42" vertical and good size.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Maybe.............. this is the guy who can cover Gronk. Dude has a 42" vertical and good size.

My thoughts exactly.

IowaSteeler927
04-27-2018, 11:50 AM
I like the pick. Good size, speed, physical tackler, good hands. Some of his highlights he looked like he was running the receiver's route for him. One interception I saw looked eerily like a Polamalu interception (no, not saying he's Troy). The kid looks good, they obviously wanted him, and I'm sure they've got their reasons. I like the kid, and I'm not going to pass judgment until he gives me a reason not to like him.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Spot on.

The Steelers had a specific need and they saw that it could be filled with Bostic is a base defense and a big-bodied Safety in a Dime defense....the talking heads can't wrap their head around it.

Not saying that it "definitely" will pan out....but they need to at least TRY and understand the process instead of being so "scheme myopic".

Okay. So he fills that need in Year One. Kinda similar to the "Rover" role he played at VT. Where does he play for the rest of his rookie contract?

There is NO way they drafted a guy in the first round with only a sub-package plan for him. Long term, he seems to be an odd for fit alongside the existing players on the roster.

Fire Goodell
04-27-2018, 12:05 PM
give him some steroids, +20 lbs and he'd make a fine ILB :chuckle:

LLT
04-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Okay. So he fills that need in Year One. Kinda similar to the "Rover" role he played at VT. Where does he play for the rest of his rookie contract?

There is NO way they drafted a guy in the first round with only a sub-package plan for him. Long term, he seems to be an odd for fit alongside the existing players on the roster.

If Davis plays like he did last year...Edmunds could end up being the starter...with Davis coming in during Dime defense to move Edmunds closer to the line as the Safety/Linebacker hybrid.

tube517
04-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 12:12 PM
If Davis plays like he did last year...Edmunds could end up being the starter...with Davis coming in during Dime defense to move Edmunds closer to the line as the Safety/Linebacker hybrid.

But where? Edmunds doesn't sound like a FS based on all the reports I've come across this morning. Burnett at FS? I mean I guess...

I think Edmunds is a freakish athlete with production at big-time school and he is young. Those are all hallmarks of a Colbert Round 1 pick. But this is the first one in awhile where I struggle to see how they plan on using him for all 5 years of that rookie deal. Now, that may not mean a thing. What do I know? Also, who knows what Butler and company have cooked up. They have certainly created a DB group with a ton of athletic ability and a decent amount of position versatility. Now, if only the best tackler in the room wasn't Mike Hilton....

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

Virginia Tech’s Terrell Edmunds was my eighth-ranked safety. Eighth. And the Steelers took him at No. 28 overall. There’s no doubt that he’s physically gifted like his brother, Tremaine, who went 12 spots ahead of him, but the tape doesn’t show a first-round player. In fact, I thought he might be underrated as a versatile safety who could play in the slot. But that’s when I thought he was more likely to go at the end of Day 2. This is another head-scratcher.

Todd McShay, ESPN

Edmunds is a terrific athlete and will help Pittsburgh’s back end, but he’s my 84th-ranked player. He ran a 4.47-second 40 and had a 41-inch vertical, but I’m concerned he’s a better tester right now than football player. This was a little early for him to go.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/27/draft-experts-puzzled-by-steelers-pick-of-terrell-edmunds/

LLT
04-27-2018, 12:20 PM
But where? Edmunds doesn't sound like a FS based on all the reports I've come across this morning. Burnett at FS? I mean I guess...

I think Edmunds is a freakish athlete with production at big-time school and he is young. Those are all hallmarks of a Colbert Round 1 pick. But this is the first one in awhile where I struggle to see how they plan on using him for all 5 years of that rookie deal. Now, that may not mean a thing. What do I know? Also, who knows what Butler and company have cooked up. They have certainly created a DB group with a ton of athletic ability and a decent amount of position versatility. Now, if only the best tackler in the room wasn't Mike Hilton....

Tomlin has already said that they would open OTA's with Burnett at Free Safety.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

Virginia Tech’s Terrell Edmunds was my eighth-ranked safety. Eighth. And the Steelers took him at No. 28 overall. There’s no doubt that he’s physically gifted like his brother, Tremaine, who went 12 spots ahead of him, but the tape doesn’t show a first-round player. In fact, I thought he might be underrated as a versatile safety who could play in the slot. But that’s when I thought he was more likely to go at the end of Day 2. This is another head-scratcher.

Todd McShay, ESPN

Edmunds is a terrific athlete and will help Pittsburgh’s back end, but he’s my 84th-ranked player. He ran a 4.47-second 40 and had a 41-inch vertical, but I’m concerned he’s a better tester right now than football player. This was a little early for him to go.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/27/draft-experts-puzzled-by-steelers-pick-of-terrell-edmunds/

that said there is a reason they ( along with us ) are not working in NFL facilities and helping to develops a teams draft board ...

the pick is in and we do not get a do over so we may as well do our best to get behind the kid and hope for the best ...

I guess ....

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Tomlin has already said that they would open OTA's with Burnett at Free Safety.

OK. But what about next year? The Year After? Sean Davis gets banged on a ton around here, myself included. But maybe if the Steelers set out a specific role and position for him and kept him there, he might actually make some progress. He has played nickel CB, SS, FS, and designated Gronk sacrifice so far in his two year career. Most people who know more than me argue that Davis should be kept at SS and offered a chance to progress and apply his significant physical gifts to the position.

But Edmunds seems to have the exact same skill set...but whatever. I'm harping on a point that I know very little about and is a whole season in the future.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Safeties – 2 locks; 5 possibleI have a hard time seeing more than four safeties going. I actually don't see more than three going. But I could make a legit case for five of them and can't tell you exactly which would go where, yet. Minkah Fitzpatrick (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2186316/minkah-fitzpatrick) and Derwin James (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2179267/derwin-james) are going very high in this draft. I continue to hear there are teams late in the first round who are very high on Terrell Edmunds (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2139162/terrell-edmunds) and Justin Reid (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2186838/justin-reid); I believe one of those two ends up in the first round and Ronnie Harrison (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2180568/ronnie-harrison) is under consideration in the late first round as well.
So that brings us to 27 locks out of 32 picks. We'll find out in a few days how accurate I was at this stage of the process. And at this point I'm going with 44 names on my possible list. Bring on the draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-heres-why-these-27-prospects-are-locks-to-go-in-the-first-round/

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 12:40 PM
NFL teams (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams) might be systematically ignoring Eric Reid (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1737133/eric-reid) for some now-obvious reasons unrelated to football, but his brother is getting a lot of attention. Stanford (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/STNFRD/stanford-cardinal) safety Justin Reid (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2186838/justin-reid) has a legit shot at going in the first round, and the Titans (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/TEN/tennessee-titans) have done a lot of work on safeties. Reid or Ronnie Harrison (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2180568/ronnie-harrison) (Alabama) could be the pick there depending on how things break. And for as much attention as Tremaine Edmunds is garnering late, keep a very close eye on his brother, safety Terrell Edmunds (https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2139162/terrell-edmunds). Teams love his makeup and athleticism more than is being let on, and the projected grades on him in the fourth/fifth round are going to look way low. I keep hearing it's possible he sneaks into the late first round, or certainly second round. The Panthers (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/CAR/carolina-panthers), Titans and Steelers (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers) could be a fit.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-raiders-eyeing-key-tackle-broncos-open-to-trade-and-more-notes/

LLT
04-27-2018, 12:42 PM
OK. But what about next year? The Year After? Sean Davis gets banged on a ton around here, myself included. But maybe if the Steelers set out a specific role and position for him and kept him there, he might actually make some progress. He has played nickel CB, SS, FS, and designated Gronk sacrifice so far in his two year career. Most people who know more than me argue that Davis should be kept at SS and offered a chance to progress and apply his significant physical gifts to the position.

But Edmunds seems to have the exact same skill set...but whatever. I'm harping on a point that I know very little about and is a whole season in the future.

Yea...I understand.

I think I comprehend why we went for that "type" of player....but I wont say it will definitely work.

AtlantaDan
04-27-2018, 01:26 PM
If this was a reach for a WR my guess is most Steelers fans (and talking heads on sports TV) would be behind the pick given the Steelers history of drafting receivers.

The flip side is given the Steelers sorry history with safeties picked in the early rounds since Troy (as discussed in this P-G article last week) the Edmunds pick is presumed to be sketchy

Since Troy Polamalu, the Steelers have struggled drafting safeties

In the 14 years since Polamalu was taken with the No. 16 overall pick, the Steelers haven’t been as shrewd when it comes to picking safeties in the draft. They’ve taken five safeties since 2006, and only one has developed into what can be considered a solid starter. The others either failed miserably or served as reserves.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/19/steelers-mock-draft-safeties-troy-polamalu-justin-reid-jessie-bates-ronnie-harrison/stories/201804190066

Will hope for the best - as posted above this is a diversion for me and a job for the Steelers front office, so I will assume they have a long term plan for Edmunds

Shoes
04-27-2018, 01:36 PM

Agreed, lets face it there is a lot of butt hurt because the know all mockers shit the bed on this one also.

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

Todd McShay, ESPN

I hate to keep harping on this but isn't this basically the same reason they have his brother rated so highly? Incredible athlete. And they are using that same reason to knock Terrell. These guys are idiots.

AtlantaDan
04-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Agreed, lets face it there is a lot of butt hurt because the know all mockers shit the bed on this one also.

As conceded in this article in The Ringer:applaudit:

We have already discovered the complete futility of the seven-round mock draft, (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/20/17259146/seven-round-mock-draft-online-economy) but this year, even the first round was impossible to project. Please forget this instantly and read a bunch of mock drafts next year; bloggers need you to click on them so we can feed our families

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/27/17289496/2018-draft-winners-losers-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-lamar-jackson-baltimore-ravens

steel striker
04-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Well after the way Mitchell has played I think this fills a glaring hole in the defense but, time will tell. I'm sure the next pick could be a ILB.

86WARD
04-27-2018, 02:19 PM

A lot of things I read and heard have him in the middle of the second round. According to some of the radio shows, a lot of GMs had him ranked mid second round. That’s pretty much a lower half of the first round pick for argument sake. 33rd is a second round pick as well...lol.

teegre
04-27-2018, 02:19 PM
A few years ago, everyone was assuming that Eddie Lacy would be Pittsburgh’s pick... and were shocked when the Steelers took Le’Veon Bell instead.

A year later, everyone was assuming that CJ Mosley would be Pittsburgh’s pick... and were shocked when the Steelers took Ryan Shazier instead.

Last night, everyone was assuming that Justin Reid would be Pittsburgh’s pick... and were shocked when the Steelers took Terrell Edmunds instead.

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 02:21 PM
A few years ago, everyone was assuming that Eddie Lacy would be Pittsburgh’s pick... and were shocked when the Steelers took Le’Veon Bell instead.

A year later, everyone was assuming that CJ Mosley would be Pittsburgh’s pick... and were shocked when the Steelers took Ryan Shazier instead.

Last night, everyone was assuming that Justin Reid would be Pittsburgh’s pick... and were shocked when the Steelers took Terrell Edmunds instead.

Interesting point. For me this is going to be the tie breaker. Bell was obviously right but I think a very strong case (that I would agree with) can be made that Mosley was the better choice.

I don't know how shocked people were about Davis but I thought they should have taken Von Bell so that is another one I am paying attention to.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 02:28 PM
the old saying stands true ...

If he is your guy whether its the first round or the 5th round ...YOU TAKE HIM

remember when everyone had bell rated as a 3rd round back ? ( myself included)

when we took him in round 2 it was like the world was coming to an end .... seems like that turned out ok

how many teams would spend a second round pick for Lev Bell on his rookie deal for 4 years if they could do it today ?

point being , give the kid a chance to prove his worth before dumping on the pick to hard ..I am not thrilled with it , hell not even happy about it but at the end of the day until he lines up with 10 others from this defense in this scheme we likely are just throwing mud at the wall

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 02:46 PM
A lot of things I read and heard have him in the middle of the second round. According to some of the radio shows, a lot of GMs had him ranked mid second round.

the argument would be that the Steelers didn't really get good value, they could have traded down to the middle of the second round and still select Terrell Edmunds while picking up another third round draft choice.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 02:49 PM
the argument would be that the Steelers didn't really get good value, they could have traded down to the middle of the second round and still select Terrell Edmunds while picking up another third round draft choice.

post 70 & 71 in this thread think otherwise

Born2Steel
04-27-2018, 02:56 PM
I think Shazier DID just announce his replacement player. At least until he's 100% back.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 02:56 PM
post 70 & 71 in this thread think otherwise

maybe the "rumored teams" that liked Terrell Edmunds and Justin Reid in the back end of the first round was only the Steelers, I didn't see any other team selecting Justin Reid...

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 03:14 PM
maybe the "rumored teams" that liked Terrell Edmunds and Justin Reid in the back end of the first round was only the Steelers, I didn't see any other team selecting Justin Reid...

true ...

the Titans where mentioned , maybe they where interested but with Evans sitting there it waned in comparison ? IDK and likely we will never know

st33lersguy
04-27-2018, 03:36 PM
These are my thoughts from what I have gathered

Pros
-Physical
-Alpha dog, vocal leader (big plus)
-Versatile
-Great in communication (an expressed concern from Haden)
-Can play free safety (though may be better suited for strong safety)
-Drafting a guy with NFL bloodlines in a football family reminiscent of TJ Watt last year
-Dynamic player
-Fills a need
-Positive work ethic
-Has a love for the game
-Great tackler
-Can cover the TE

Cons
-Seems to fall under the dreaded "raw but athletically gifted category"
-Bites on routes making him vulnerable to give up the deep ball (and bite on those Patriot flea flickers)
-May be too raw to make a true impact until 2019
-Could easily get misused
-Shoulder injury last year

Best case scenario: Equivalent to a healthy Ryan Shazier that can play safety. A dynamic defensive player and vocal leader/team captain. A centerpiece to build the secondary around

Worst case scenario: He allows long pass plays frequently. Gets misused and mismanaged by the coaching staff.

Overall: Lot more to like than dislike about the actual pick. I can see why the team drafted him and what they saw. If he does turn into what the coaching staff saw and hits his ceiling it would make the defense much better. Possesses a lot of what you want in a football player. This is also where no longer having Carnell Lake becomes a plus. Hopefully Tom Bradley can turn this guy into a contributor in 2018 and a dynamic player in the secondary by 2019

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 05:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbuCF2mXkAAIz1Y?format=jpg

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-27-2018, 05:35 PM
We addressed a need with that pick and usually works out when the Steelers pick a player earlier then expected. I'm cool with it and love that we got a third for MB.

EzraTank
04-27-2018, 06:11 PM
I really wanted R. Evans. Word is we tried hard to trade up for him.

JayC
04-27-2018, 06:33 PM
well one thing for sure, just watched part of his interview and i can see how he impressed the coach when they met. guy sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders

st33lersguy
04-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Kerryon Johnson, damn

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 07:26 PM
by Mike Mayock

28. Terrell Edmunds, S, Pittsburgh Steelers

He's a very physical football player. Played him a lot in the box, almost played Dime linebacker. Explosive athlete. I think the key here is he can match tight ends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928836/article/mike-mayocks-pickbypick-draft-analysis-for-round-1-results

Shoes
04-27-2018, 10:31 PM
This kid has got it together. He going to be a good one.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Introducing-Terrell-Edmunds/cf705591-d66a-4de8-a349-361a1f4c3cf0

Six Rings
04-28-2018, 07:41 AM

He was picked to replace what Shazier brought to the defense. Could be better off at ILB, where he had his best year in college. A bit of a reach, but he fills a need.

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 09:44 AM
I think I got this one figured out after sleeping on it again.

Ryan Shazier has these testing #'s - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ryan-shazier?position=ATH - but the key ones for this discussion are the fact that he is 6'1" and played at about 230 lbs. Edmunds is 6' and a half inch and reportedly got up to to like 220. If he can play at about 220-225 - every other available testing # is pretty similar (obviously worse because Shazier was a space alien not a human being) https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/terrell-edmunds?position=ATH the similarities even run to arm length and hand size.

Also, what separates Edmunds from the rest of the safety class - that he can carry his listed weight (217) and maintain the athleticism his testing #'s indicate. Bates and Reid tested close but Edmunds has 10-20 pounds on them.

So to replace a LB that many thought could play safety, the Steelers signed Jon Bostic and drafted a safety that some think can play LB...?

I am beginning to think that Evans was plan A and when he was gone -- this is a creative Plan B. Now we get to see if they were too clever by half...

pczach
04-28-2018, 10:00 AM
I think I got this one figured out after sleeping on it again.

Ryan Shazier has these testing #'s - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ryan-shazier?position=ATH - but the key ones for this discussion are the fact that he is 6'1" and played at about 230 lbs. Edmunds is 6' and a half inch and reportedly got up to to like 220. If he can play at about 220-225 - every other available testing # is pretty similar (obviously worse because Shazier was a space alien not a human being) https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/terrell-edmunds?position=ATH the similarities even run to arm length and hand size.

Also, what separates Edmunds from the rest of the safety class - that he can carry his listed weight (217) and maintain the athleticism his testing #'s indicate. Bates and Reid tested close but Edmunds has 10-20 pounds on them.

So to replace a LB that many thought could play safety, the Steelers signed Jon Bostic and drafted a safety that some think can play LB...?

I am beginning to think that Evans was plan A and when he was gone -- this is a creative Plan B. Now we get to see if they were too clever by half...

Plus, as I've stated in other posts....Edmunds punches above his weight class. He is a very physical player that packs a punch and plays with strength that belies his weight.

Bluecoat96
04-28-2018, 10:09 AM
One thing that I really liked was Edmunds' interviews after being drafted. To use a Tomlinism, he seems to be pretty smart " above the neck." He mentioned something about testing a grade level higher back in school. Not a sole determining factor for success, but if they are serious about improving communication in the secondary, this seems like a real positive step in the correct direction.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
04-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Plus, as I've stated in other posts....Edmunds punches above his weight class. He is a very physical player that packs a punch and plays with strength that belies his weight.

Great point! More I consider the idea that Edmunds is more of LB (at least in the role he plays in the overall defense) than a Safety; the more the entire first 3 rounds make "sense" to me...

...Which makes me think that Butler and company have some serious scheme changes coming...maybe thoughts in another thread....

Dwinsgames
04-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Great point! More I consider the idea that Edmunds is more of LB (at least in the role he plays in the overall defense) than a Safety; the more the entire first 3 rounds make "sense" to me...

...Which makes me think that Butler and company have some serious scheme changes coming...maybe thoughts in another thread....

seven

43Hitman
04-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Another thing we may need to consider, Bud Foster is regarded by many to be a defensive genius in the college ranks. So having said that, if I am a defensive coach and I have two guys with similar

traits that both are all-world athletes and I can put one in the front seven and he kills and another into the backfield and he kills it, I am better off scheme wise with that than I would be if both of the

guys played the same position. So it's entirely possible that Edmunds could have played LB and VT, but didn't because Bud Foster wanted that elite talent in another area of his defense. Giving him two

very strong areas instead of one super strong linebacking group. I don't know but that seems like the logical thing to me.

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2018, 12:10 AM
http://prod.images.steelers.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/STEELERS/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2018/04-April/tempAP_437662400421--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

BlackAndGold
04-29-2018, 12:54 AM
So since Reid went in round 3, does that mean he would have been a reach had he been the pick at #28?

:stirthepot:

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2018, 02:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjdJg6iVpnM

Cyphon25
04-30-2018, 03:19 AM
So since Reid went in round 3, does that mean he would have been a reach had he been the pick at #28?

:stirthepot:

For sure.

I said a few times leading up to the draft that I thought the safeties the Steelers showed interest in were going to fall. Mainly looking at Bates and Reid I thought we would have a shot at both at 60. You could tell safety value has kind of waned given the state of the FA market in the NFL. Bates didn't quite make it to 60 but Reid went after so I was pretty close in my estimation. Make you wonder where Edmunds would have went if the Steelers didn't take him at 28.

86WARD
04-30-2018, 08:53 AM

But everyone goes on the assumption that the Steelers didn’t try to trade down. We will never know if they did or didn’t try...maybe they did and they thought the cost was too high? No one knows...point is, a lot had Edmunds as a mid second round player...or a “second round guy”. Guess what, pick 28...it’s pretty much second round. If he was their guy, then this is no stretch at all to take a guy ranked 45 at the 28 spot. He’s not going to be there at their next pick.

86WARD
04-30-2018, 08:54 AM
the old saying stands true ...

If he is your guy whether its the first round or the 5th round ...YOU TAKE HIM

remember when everyone had bell rated as a 3rd round back ? ( myself included)

when we took him in round 2 it was like the world was coming to an end .... seems like that turned out ok

how many teams would spend a second round pick for Lev Bell on his rookie deal for 4 years if they could do it today ?

point being , give the kid a chance to prove his worth before dumping on the pick to hard ..I am not thrilled with it , hell not even happy about it but at the end of the day until he lines up with 10 others from this defense in this scheme we likely are just throwing mud at the wall

The greatest example of this is when the Seahawks drafted Bruce Irvin...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he was supposed to be taken and they got ridiculed to no end for it.

That team up there in Seattle, out of all 32 teams, is the one that sticks to their guns/draft chart and takes the guy they want. They don’t give a shit about anything else...lol

Dwinsgames
04-30-2018, 09:07 AM
The greatest example of this is when the Seahawks drafted Bruce Irvin...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he was supposed to be taken and they got ridiculed to no end for it.

That team up there in Seattle, out of all 32 teams, is the one that sticks to their guns/draft chart and takes the guy they want. They don’t give a shit about anything else...lol

:drink:

BlackAndGold
04-30-2018, 10:51 AM
For sure.

I said a few times leading up to the draft that I thought the safeties the Steelers showed interest in were going to fall. Mainly looking at Bates and Reid I thought we would have a shot at both at 60. You could tell safety value has kind of waned given the state of the FA market in the NFL. Bates didn't quite make it to 60 but Reid went after so I was pretty close in my estimation. Make you wonder where Edmunds would have went if the Steelers didn't take him at 28.

There was reports of him going in the top 40-50. So I doubt he makes it to our 2nd round pick.

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 11:01 AM
But everyone goes on the assumption that the Steelers didn’t try to trade down. We will never know if they did or didn’t try...maybe they did and they thought the cost was too high? No one knows...point is, a lot had Edmunds as a mid second round player...or a “second round guy”. Guess what, pick 28...it’s pretty much second round. If he was their guy, then this is no stretch at all to take a guy ranked 45 at the 28 spot. He’s not going to be there at their next pick.

I agree. I've seen and heard smart experienced football people make the argument that in every draft, there is a tipping point in the first round. Before that point, you are getting that classic first round player. A guy who just stands out and projects to be really really good at football. After that point you are getting basically the same player until another transition point somewhere in the 3rd round. Long story short, I saw more than a few people make the case for this draft hitting that first point around pick 18. So a "second/third round" grade on a guy makes sense from that logic...

AtlantaDan
04-30-2018, 11:52 AM
In his chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo supports the assumption people who actually make selections might have a better idea what is going on than the draftniks (but notes when there is a market for a product a supply is going to be created)

Ray Fittipaldo - I'm not saying Edmunds will pan out, but the people taking what these draftniks are saying about him like it's gospel is very odd. I have better credentials to do what many of them do and I've never worked in an NFL front office....

No offense to you or anyone else, but it's become pretty clear in recent years that no one in the media is really very good at predicting who NFL teams will pick. Why do you think mock drafts continue draw so much interest?
Ray Fittipaldo - Did you see the ratings for the draft. We can't write about the draft enough. People have huge appetites for draft coverage.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/30/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-4-30-18/stories/201804300114

Mojouw
04-30-2018, 12:16 PM
In his chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo supports the assumption people who actually make selections might have a better idea what is going on than the draftniks (but notes when there is a market for a product a supply is going to be created)

Ray Fittipaldo - I'm not saying Edmunds will pan out, but the people taking what these draftniks are saying about him like it's gospel is very odd. I have better credentials to do what many of them do and I've never worked in an NFL front office....

No offense to you or anyone else, but it's become pretty clear in recent years that no one in the media is really very good at predicting who NFL teams will pick. Why do you think mock drafts continue draw so much interest?
Ray Fittipaldo - Did you see the ratings for the draft. We can't write about the draft enough. People have huge appetites for draft coverage.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/04/30/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-4-30-18/stories/201804300114

I think that for the average to extremely dedicated NFL fan it is the one part of the what each franchise does during a year that they feel like they can come close to replicating. With so much information available on the internet and so much content floating around, it feels like it is possible to know a ton about each prospect. Does it come anywhere near to what an NFL team does for each prospect? Almost certainly not, but it allows each of us to pretend that we "know" things.

Then the internet provides a combination echo chamber and megaphone - and BOOM -- Team X is stupid for reaching for Player Y at least Z picks too early because of Known Thing A, B, C, and D.

86WARD
04-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Bye bye JJ.

DesertSteel
04-30-2018, 04:05 PM
I think that for the average to extremely dedicated NFL fan it is the one part of the what each franchise does during a year that they feel like they can come close to replicating. With so much information available on the internet and so much content floating around, it feels like it is possible to know a ton about each prospect. Does it come anywhere near to what an NFL team does for each prospect? Almost certainly not, but it allows each of us to pretend that we "know" things.

Then the internet provides a combination echo chamber and megaphone - and BOOM -- Team X is stupid for reaching for Player Y at least Z picks too early because of Known Thing A, B, C, and D.
The timing of the draft is also very important in that it's almost three months since the Super Bowl and real fans are all football-starved. Those NFL people run a smart business :)

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2018, 03:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPAeOc-0RrI

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2018, 03:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ReLO-HKUhY

teegre
05-01-2018, 05:45 AM

Travis Frederick & Terrell Davis

When the Cowboys took Travis Frederick with the 31st pick in the draft, everyone laughed at them. Everyone thought that Frederick was a R3 prospect. 4 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pro seasons later (out of 5 seasons), the Cowboys appear to have made the right choice.

When Mike Shannahan was asked how he knew to “wait” until R5 to take Terrell Davis, Shannsgan replied, “If I had known how good Terrell was, I would have drafted him in R1. I wouldn’t have risked losing him by waiting even until R2.”

pczach
05-01-2018, 06:02 AM
Travis Frederick & Terrell Davis

When the Cowboys took Travis Frederick with the 31st pick in the draft, everyone laughed at them. Everyone thought that Frederick was a R3 prospect. 4 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pro seasons later (out of 5 seasons), the Cowboys appear to have made the right choice.

When Mike Shannahan was asked how he knew to “wait” until R5 to take Terrell Davis, Shannsgan replied, “If I had known how good Terrell was, I would have drafted him in R1. I wouldn’t have risked losing him by waiting even until R2.”

You have to trust how you feel about a player when you are an organization. If a player is "your guy" and you think there's a possibility he won't be there with your next pick, you draft him. It doesn't matter what media people say or what draft analysts say. Criticism will come, but you have to stick with what you believe.

BlackAndGold
05-01-2018, 09:37 AM

AtlantaDan
05-01-2018, 10:49 AM
You have to trust how you feel about a player when you are an organization. If a player is "your guy" and you think there's a possibility he won't be there with your next pick, you draft him. It doesn't matter what media people say or what draft analysts say. Criticism will come, but you have to stick with what you believe.

True that - this hot take on the greatest draft class in NFL history

The following was written by a sports columnist in the Jan. 30, 1974 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette following the first five rounds of the 1974 NFL Draft, after the Steelers had picked Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, cornerback Jimmy Allen and Webster:

“The Steelers seem to have come out of the first five rounds of the draft appreciably strengthened at wide receiver but nowhere else. They didn’t get a tight end, and the ones remaining are more suspect than prospect. They didn’t get a punter, although none of the nation’s best collegiate punters went in the first five rounds. They didn’t get an offensive tackle who might’ve shored up what could well become a weakness. What they did get was Swann, who seems to be a sure-pop to help; Lambert, who figures to be the No. 5 linebacker if he pans out; and three question marks.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-history/article-1/This-draft-class-was-epic/30065171-f4c1-4b19-9720-10e6e7fdda2e

pczach
05-01-2018, 02:53 PM
True that - this hot take on the greatest draft class in NFL history

The following was written by a sports columnist in the Jan. 30, 1974 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette following the first five rounds of the 1974 NFL Draft, after the Steelers had picked Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, cornerback Jimmy Allen and Webster:

“The Steelers seem to have come out of the first five rounds of the draft appreciably strengthened at wide receiver but nowhere else. They didn’t get a tight end, and the ones remaining are more suspect than prospect. They didn’t get a punter, although none of the nation’s best collegiate punters went in the first five rounds. They didn’t get an offensive tackle who might’ve shored up what could well become a weakness. What they did get was Swann, who seems to be a sure-pop to help; Lambert, who figures to be the No. 5 linebacker if he pans out; and three question marks.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-history/article-1/This-draft-class-was-epic/30065171-f4c1-4b19-9720-10e6e7fdda2e

Amazing! I wonder if anyone rubbed that column in his face a few years later?
:pointlaugh:

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2018, 12:44 PM
He was picked to replace what Shazier brought to the defense. Could be better off at ILB, where he had his best year in college. A bit of a reach, but he fills a need.

Fowler: Terrell Edmunds Was Considered A First Round Pick By NFL

By Alex Kozora
Posted on May 1, 2018

The biggest complaint from Pittsburgh Steelers’ fans after Day One of the NFL Draft was the value in taking safety Terrell Edmunds. Most in the draft community believed it was a reach, grading Edmunds as a second or even third round pick. But the NFL apparently felt much differently. According to this report/tweet from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, Edmunds was considered a first round selection by some organizations.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/05/fowler-terrell-edmunds-was-considered-a-first-round-pick-by-nfl/