PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this is Why LVE Runs Around Blocks

Mojouw
04-25-2018, 10:29 AM
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17273966/leighton-vander-esch-draft-prospect-profile-boise-state

Interesting article that talks about how LVE played 8 man football. Then really only played ILB for a portion of his time at Boise.

Starting to bring me back around on why he always ends up on his butt when engaged with a blocker. Clearly the kid is tough enough, but can he be retrained to stop running around blocks/traffic and power through them? I mean look how dang big he is.

Also seems the medical thing is in the past....

I had hopped off the LVE hype train, but I'm thinking about climbing back aboard...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2018, 11:01 AM
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17273966/leighton-vander-esch-draft-prospect-profile-boise-state

Interesting article that talks about how LVE played 8 man football. Then really only played ILB for a portion of his time at Boise.

Starting to bring me back around on why he always ends up on his butt when engaged with a blocker. Clearly the kid is tough enough, but can he be retrained to stop running around blocks/traffic and power through them? I mean look how dang big he is.

Also seems the medical thing is in the past....

I had hopped off the LVE hype train, but I'm thinking about climbing back aboard...
On tape he runs around blocks because when he takes on a blocker, he has a hard time getting off the block and making a tackle. If I am not mistaken, he played 2 seasons at Boise St and should be used to taking on a block of an O lineman. He sounds like a good kid and motivated to get better, so I hope he does well and any team that drafts him has hopefully done their homework.

His athletic ability means he has such great potential. But if he doesn't turn that into being a complete LB in the NFL, he will be another great athlete that just isn't a great pro football player. If he has the right demeanor, he could turn into a pro bowler. I'm so cautious as I really don't like all that he has put on tape.

Mojouw
04-25-2018, 11:13 AM
On tape he runs around blocks because when he takes on a blocker, he has a hard time getting off the block and making a tackle. If I am not mistaken, he played 2 seasons at Boise St and should be used to taking on a block of an O lineman. He sounds like a good kid and motivated to get better, so I hope he does well and any team that drafts him has hopefully done their homework.

His athletic ability means he has such great potential. But if he doesn't turn that into being a complete LB in the NFL, he will be another great athlete that just isn't a great pro football player. If he has the right demeanor, he could turn into a pro bowler. I'm so cautious as I really don't like all that he has put on tape.

I share the exact same reservations. The article lays out some reasons why LVE has the flaws in his game that he does and paints the picture of a kid who is very willing to work to get better.

For me the take-away was that he had 2 years at college where he was this big and given significant snaps. The first year was as a sub-package player and he missed 7 weeks of practice and games with the injury issue (resolved now) that teams are currently freaking over. Then he played his only year as a starter. Taking all of it together, I can see why he has the flaws that he has. I figure for him it would all come down to the interview and individual workout if I was running a team.

Interesting, but I suspect some other team will take the decision out of the Steelers hands anyways.

steelreserve
04-25-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm no expert, but given the amount of hype over this guy in the last month or two, my guess is he'll be gone a good 10 picks before our turn.

teegre
04-25-2018, 02:10 PM
I share the exact same reservations. The article lays out some reasons why LVE has the flaws in his game that he does and paints the picture of a kid who is very willing to work to get better.

For me the take-away was that he had 2 years at college where he was this big and given significant snaps. The first year was as a sub-package player and he missed 7 weeks of practice and games with the injury issue (resolved now) that teams are currently freaking over. Then he played his only year as a starter. Taking all of it together, I can see why he has the flaws that he has. I figure for him it would all come down to the interview and individual workout if I was running a team.

Interesting, but I suspect some other team will take the decision out of the Steelers hands anyways.

Year 1: ugly
Year 2: warts, but a lot of good
Year 3: rookie, work on those warts
Year 4: sophomore season, almost there
Years 5-13: watch out!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm no expert, but given the amount of hype over this guy in the last month or two, my guess is he'll be gone a good 10 picks before our turn.

:nod: BINGO!!!

pczach
04-25-2018, 03:02 PM

That's how I feel about him. He hasn't shown me nearly enough on tape to make me spend a first-round pick on him.

Everything about his measurables tells you he should be able to take on blocks, and he should be able to shed those blocks and make plays... but he doesn't.

I understand not having the instincts at this point because he hasn't been playing football that long. I could look past that a little bit, but he should be showing me something with aggression at the point of attack.... and he's not.

He seems like a really good kid, and I wish the best for him no matter where he goes. If the Steelers do draft him, I hope he is able to tap into all his talent and physical gifts and achieve his full potential. I'm just not willing to bet on that with my first round pick if it's me picking. Not at #28.

Cyphon25
04-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Yeah LVE is someone who definitely hasn't learned to use his length very well and plays sort of 'dumb' in that regard if you will. Saw quite a few times on tape where he just kind of shoulered into blockers instead of getting his hands up to keep them off of his body. Seems like something that should be teachable with the right coach.

teegre
04-26-2018, 05:33 AM
Seems like something that should be teachable with the right coach.

:nod: