PDA

View Full Version : 14 years ago today ......

Dwinsgames
04-24-2018, 08:08 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbjKhzyW0AEgDzs.jpg

tube517
04-24-2018, 10:01 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9sNmwisd59FmA8/source.gif

vasteeler
04-24-2018, 11:35 AM
Man... Time flies

86WARD
04-24-2018, 11:50 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9sNmwisd59FmA8/source.gif

Lol. One of my favorite Roethlisberger GIFs.

86WARD
04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FluidPracticalFanworms-max-1mb.gif

Anyone remember this nod to Mike Wallace?

Count Steeler
04-24-2018, 12:40 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FluidPracticalFanworms-max-1mb.gif

Anyone remember this nod to Mike Wallace?

Yup. 75-80 yard TD versus the Colts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-24-2018, 12:46 PM
So the modern day Steeler fan has had a franchise QB for 14 years now. So why all the constant complaining in public and on message boards about only getting to 2 SB and winning?

Enjoy it everybody and lets just hope we don't have another 20 year drought like from when Bradshaw retired in 1984.

JnK
04-24-2018, 12:58 PM
It's been a heck of a ride.... good and bad! Here's hoping for a few more years out of Ben and another Lombardi or two.

Hard to believe it's been 14 years already.

st33lersguy
04-24-2018, 01:06 PM
14 years ago, a legend was drafted. Without him, the Steelers would still be searching for one for the thumb. Recently watched a youtube video about the 2004 draft of QBs, the Eli and Rivers trade followed by Ben's drop out of the top 10. I thought, sure ended up working out for the Steelers, and Ben

hawaiiansteeler
04-24-2018, 02:07 PM
should have drafted Shawn Andrews :stirthepot:

Dwinsgames
04-24-2018, 02:49 PM
:asskick:

pczach
04-24-2018, 03:24 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/UhaXmVO84SiFW/giphy.gif

Lady Steel
04-24-2018, 07:38 PM
So the modern day Steeler fan has had a franchise QB for 14 years now. So why all the constant complaining in public and on message boards about only getting to 2 SB and winning?

Enjoy it everybody and lets just hope we don't have another 20 year drought like from when Bradshaw retired in 1984.

Because some people are as dumb as a bag of hair.

Drafting Ben was one of the best decisions the Rooneys ever made.

Everyone should be cherishing every minute Ben is on the field. :)

Texasteel
04-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Been a rabid Steeler fan for over 4o years and have seen some good players, some very good players, and some great players. I have never seen one better than Ben. He may even be better than Terry was, and those who know me know that's not easy for me to say. Thanks Ben, for 14 great years.

SteelMayhem72
04-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Whats funny about Ben is his noggin obviously got bigger....lol

SteelMayhem72
04-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Been a rabid Steeler fan for over 4o years and have seen some good players, some very good players, and some great players. I have never seen one better than Ben. He may even be better than Terry was, and those who know me know that's not easy for me to say. Thanks Ben, for 14 great years.
No doubt in my mind that he is better than Terry!

Dwinsgames
04-24-2018, 09:28 PM
No doubt in my mind that he is better than Terry!

not when the lights are shining their brightest .... no way a knock on Ben but Terry was lights out on the biggest stage

pczach
04-24-2018, 10:02 PM
not when the lights are shining their brightest .... no way a knock on Ben but Terry was lights out on the biggest stage

Terry did play his best in the playoffs, but it makes you wonder why he didn't play better more often and was often horrible. It's as if he didn't care about regular season games

No knock on Terry, but he had the more talented team by a mile in nearly every game he ever played. Life is always a little easier that way.

Kind of the way Emmett Smith gained the most yards behind that great OL, but nobody thinks he's the best RB.

212 career TD passes and 210 career INT isn't the recipe for success on most teams. Luckily, he played on the best team. They won many, many games in spite of Terry for a lot of his career.

Just sayin'

It was great seeing Terry do so well late in his career when he seemed to finally completely understand the game. If only everything had clicked earlier, he would have had a chance to be much higher on the list of great NFL quarterbacks.

tube517
04-24-2018, 10:13 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/THTysnarIsI/AAAAAAAAdcY/o3R24DtMWh8/s1600/ms_cowher_roeth_si.jpg :scratchchin: :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
04-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Terry did play his best in the playoffs, but it makes you wonder why he didn't play better more often and was often horrible. It's as if he didn't care about regular season games

No knock on Terry, but he had the more talented team by a mile in nearly every game he ever played. Life is always a little easier that way.

Kind of the way Emmett Smith gained the most yards behind that great OL, but nobody thinks he's the best RB.

212 career TD passes and 210 career INT isn't the recipe for success on most teams. Luckily, he played on the best team. They won many, many games in spite of Terry for a lot of his career.

Just sayin'

It was great seeing Terry do so well late in his career when he seemed to finally completely understand the game. If only everything had clicked earlier, he would have had a chance to be much higher on the list of great NFL quarterbacks.

you will find that MOST QBs in that era ( and before ) statistically where not as good as the modern era guys Hell Look at Namath ( Beaver Falls Tiger ) in the HOF and today he would be a 3rd stringer ( or worse ) 50.1 completion percentage 173 TDs and 220 picks ...... today you would be lucky to hold a clip board

hawaiiansteeler
04-25-2018, 12:37 AM

not always, in Super Bowl IX against the Vikings Terry went 9/14 for only 96 yards and 1 TD. we won that Super Bowl because of our defense, not Bradshaw...

Fire Goodell
04-25-2018, 01:01 AM
you will find that MOST QBs in that era ( and before ) statistically where not as good as the modern era guys Hell Look at Namath ( Beaver Falls Tiger ) in the HOF and today he would be a 3rd stringer ( or worse ) 50.1 completion percentage 173 TDs and 220 picks ...... today you would be lucky to hold a clip board

I think a lot of it has to be the rules back then. It was harder to play QB then. You were allowed to get hit just like any other player, and DB's could karate chop receivers in their heads back then

Craic
04-25-2018, 01:30 AM
not always, in Super Bowl IX against the Vikings Terry went 9/14 for only 96 yards and 1 TD. we won that Super Bowl because of our defense, not Bradshaw...

Actually, that was a very good game statistically. Terry played fine for what he was asked to do. Using the modern QB rating, that is a 108.0 game, which is very consistent with this 112.8 overall career Superbowl passer rating (which puts him 4th, behind Joe Montana, Jim Plunkett, and Russell Wilson, the last two only going to the SB twice).

On the other hand, Franco Harris rushed for 158 yards on 34 attempts and Rocky Bleier resuhed for 65 yards on 17 attempts (and Bradshaw had another 33 yards on 5 attempts). That game was won because we have a very good running game (even they fumbled three times), a very good defense, and a very good QB that shined when he had to.

hawaiiansteeler
04-25-2018, 01:44 AM
Actually, that was a very good game statistically. Terry played fine for what he was asked to do. Using the modern QB rating, that is a 108.0 game, which is very consistent with this 112.8 overall career Superbowl passer rating (which puts him 4th, behind Joe Montana, Jim Plunkett, and Russell Wilson, the last two only going to the SB twice).

On the other hand, Franco Harris rushed for 158 yards on 34 attempts and Rocky Bleier resuhed for 65 yards on 17 attempts (and Bradshaw had another 33 yards on 5 attempts). That game was won because we have a very good running game (even they fumbled three times), a very good defense, and a very good QB that shined when he had to.

if you think 9/14 for only 96 yards and 1 TD pass for a QB is a good game statistically then we'll just have to agree to disagree...

IowaSteeler927
04-25-2018, 03:00 AM
We need to enjoy this while it lasts, we could be the Browns, still searching for a franchise QB. We've been very blessed to have a guy that's won us two championships, taken us to a third, and will be a Future First Ballot Hall of Famer. I'm going to enjoy watching #7 while we've still got him.

pczach
04-25-2018, 05:48 AM

I'm not banging your point. The whole point of the post was that Terry played with a much better team around him for almost his entire career than Ben did. Nobody ever had a better surrounding cast. Also, I've always been weary of Terry's regular season play for long stretches. Sometimes I don't think he did everything he could to play better.

Just for the record, here are some TD-INT ratios:

Staubach 153-109 (missed some of his prime years serving his country)
Stabler 194-222
Bob Griese 192-172
Fran Tarkenton 342-266
Bert Jones 124-101
Billy Kilmer 152-146
Jim Hart 209-247
Ken Anderson 197-160
Archie Manning 125-173

FrancoLambert
04-25-2018, 06:20 AM

It was Terry's first Super Bowl. Ben stunk up the joint in his first Super Bowl as well.....9/21, 2 picks and no TD's. Let's be fair.

86WARD
04-25-2018, 08:44 AM

That Vikings defense wasn’t any kind of joke either.

Bradshaw also came through in places the defense didn’t. Pretty much why it’s a team game...

EzraTank
04-25-2018, 09:11 AM

Exactly. Defensive guys in the 70's could mug receivers. You didn't start getting gawdy QB numbers until the league changed the PI call to favor the offense. That paved the way for guys like Marino, Montana, Elway into today. Jesus I see guys like Cam Newton and Brady whine about being hit. They NEVER would have survived the 70's. Remember Lambert picking guys up carrying them a few yards and slamming them to the ground. LOL Lambert would be suspended 1/2 the season today.

Mojouw
04-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Impossible to compare between Bradshaw's era and Ben's era for passing #'s. The rule changes and scheme changes just alter the landscape so much.

I think Plimpton wrote about how offensive players called the middle of the field "the pit" and flatly stated you never went into the pit if you could avoid it. Now, AB, Bell, and Ben make a big part of their living in "the pit".

Routes were less developed then than now. Schemes were far simpler and pre-snap motion and disguise was not to the level it is today. Sub-packages to force mismatches were not as prevalent. And on and on.

DWins, point holds - at least for me - no matter how you slice it. Guys from that era that are in the HOF have #'s that look like modern era 3rd stringers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2018, 10:45 AM
We need to enjoy this while it lasts, we could be the Browns, still searching for a franchise QB. We've been very blessed to have a guy that's won us two championships, taken us to a third, and will be a Future First Ballot Hall of Famer. I'm going to enjoy watching #7 while we've still got him.

:nw: Very well said. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

I bet a few posters here can attest to watching Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Brister, Tomczak, Graham, Stewart, O'Donnell, Maddox over 20 years and be appreciative of Ben's 14 years.

Dwinsgames
04-25-2018, 11:13 AM
:nw: Very well said. Going to enjoy it while it lasts.

I bet a few posters here can attest to watching Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Brister, Tomczak, Graham, Stewart, O'Donnell, Maddox over 20 years and be appreciative of Ben's 14 years.

Scott Campbell , Blackledge

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Scott Campbell , Blackledge Um, OK...I will play along. Steve Bono, Jim Miller. I always liked Mike Quinn as he looked good in preseason, but only had 1 pass with the team.

tube517
04-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Um, OK...I will play along. Steve Bono, Jim Miller. I always liked Mike Quinn as he looked good in preseason, but only had 1 pass with the team.

Rick Strom, Reggie Collier. :coffee: :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
04-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Um, OK...I will play along. Steve Bono, Jim Miller. I always liked Mike Quinn as he looked good in preseason, but only had 1 pass with the team.

Bono is probably the most successful " scab " in the history of scabs ....

got his NFL break in the strike shortened season with the Steelers and made a lot of money because of it

86WARD
04-25-2018, 03:36 PM
I don’t think Jim Miller ever got a fair shot...