PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Steelers now select in Round 2?

hawaiiansteeler
04-16-2018, 12:51 PM
after selecting Alabama ILB Rashaan Evans in the first round of our Steelers Universe Mock Draft, who should the Pittsburgh Steelers then pick in Round 2?

the assumption is being made that all of these players are still available and they're listed in alphabetical order:

Shoes
04-16-2018, 01:36 PM
If you can't get a TE in R1, try R2!

SteelMember
04-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Alright, I'll join the Shoes Quest for TE in this scenario. Gogurt and Carter are probably the biggest value available, but we just took a LB in the 1st. So, TE come on down... :chuckle:

Gogurt
Carter
Kirk
Gesiki

Mojouw
04-16-2018, 02:21 PM
If they want to go safety, I assume this means that Reid and Bates are gone. Edmunds is the last of the stupidly athtletic and versatile prospects. After him, in my opinion there is a measurable drop-off. So Edmunds it is. White and Allen are limited in coverage.

hawaiiansteeler
04-16-2018, 03:11 PM
If they want to go safety, I assume this means that Reid and Bates are gone. Edmunds is the last of the stupidly athtletic and versatile prospects. After him, in my opinion there is a measurable drop-off. So Edmunds it is. White and Allen are limited in coverage.

yes, I could be wrong of course but imo it wasn't realistic to have Reid or Bates still available at 2(60). I believe if the Steelers want either of those two safeties they will need to select them at 1(28) or trade up in the second round for them which is always a possibility.

steelreserve
04-16-2018, 05:14 PM
I don't think we'll be going for a safety with our FA signings. A good goal was to take one position of need off the table in FA and we did that. Assuming ILB in round 1, that leaves OLB, TE, and possibly RB or QB.

It will depend heavily on who's available. I think we have at least a plausible plan for TE that does not involve spending a high draft pick (hope that McDonald can give it a full season). That leaves OLB and RB, and at RB we have a really good one for this year, at least in theory. I think we'll go OLB.

More likely though, we'll go OLB in round 1 and ILB in round 2, because every goddamn year there's a guy who drops down into the 20s and we're like "omg, can't pass on this guy - he has incredible raw talent but needs to develop his game to succeed at the pro level!"

So basically if OLB is on our list of needs, we don't get a first-round pick that year because that happens instead. Then OLB is on the list again in 3 years.

86WARD
04-16-2018, 06:15 PM
BPA

st33lersguy
04-16-2018, 07:42 PM
If they don't go ILB in round 1, I'd pick Leonard. With Evans the round 1 pick, I go with Goeddert, best player available at position of need

teegre
04-16-2018, 07:49 PM
I reeeally want to pick Frank Ragnow...

DesertSteel
04-16-2018, 11:29 PM
Nick Chubb!

BlackAndGold
04-17-2018, 12:43 AM
Selected safety Terrell Edmunds.

Vance McDonald and Jesse James are the #1 and #2 TE's. No need to take one early.

Rotorhead
04-17-2018, 10:18 AM
I picked Baker, cause we need another OLB at least for depth, and depending on how he plays, the ILB/OLB could be useful.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2018, 11:04 AM
if BPA is the philosophy , hard to imagine anyone on the list is actually better than Arden Key ( IMO anyways ) but that being said the red flags are of major concern ....

I took him here but not sure I would do it again thinking about it more .... so much talent and ability but what good is it if he cant stay on the field because of his immaturity and poor decision making

st33lersguy
04-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Goeddert won't be there at pick 60, but if he is, they'd be hard pressed not to take him

teegre
04-19-2018, 10:09 PM
I voted for Frank Ragnow.

He’s amazing!!!

IowaSteeler927
04-20-2018, 07:05 AM
I got Vander Esch in Round 1, and Arden Key in Round 2. We need help at ILB with Shazier being out still for the foreseeable future, and we still need a dominant pass rusher. Key could possibly fill that role if he eliminates the character issues, and makes football his priority.

86WARD
04-22-2018, 04:50 AM
I’m leaning more towards a WR here...if a safety or ILB is taken at one. Just seems like it would be one of those scratch your head things that Colbert would do.

Maybe a James Washington or Desean Hamilton here?

teegre
04-22-2018, 09:10 AM
I’m leaning more towards a WR here...if a safety or ILB is taken at one. Just seems like it would be one of those scratch your head things that Colbert would do.

Maybe a James Washington or Desean Hamilton here?

That is totally possible (and, IMO, not a head scratcher).

The Steelers have AB, JuJu, and Bryant (for one more season). They routinely like to go three- and four- deep at WR. So, even if Bryant stays, drafting a WR early is not far-fetched.

hawaiiansteeler
04-24-2018, 02:01 PM
I voted for Frank Ragnow.

He’s amazing!!!

Tuesday Draft Week Rumors

Updated April 24, 2018
By Charlie Campbell

The 2018 NFL Draft is just two days away! Here are some rumors that I have heard from sources with the draft just hours away.

One of the late-risers as teams held their draft meetings has been Arkansas center Frank Ragnow. After a long run of being one of the most reliable offensive linemen in the the SEC, Ragnow had his senior year cut short by a high ankle sprain. That kept him out of the Senior Bowl, and WalterFootball.com was first to report that he would miss the combine workout. As a result, Ragnow has gone under the radar to a large degree, while other interior offensive line prospects like Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Billy Price, and James Daniels received more projections of being first- or second-rounders. However, sources say that Ragnow has a shot at being a late first-round or second-round pick.

In the 20s, a run could start on these interior offensive linemen, which could see them all go off the board by the end of the top-20 picks in the second round. The 6-foot-4, 307-pound Ragnow is viewed as having a good skill set while also being a polished blocker and a technician. Teams feel that he could be a starter at guard or center in the NFL. Ragnow might sneak into Thursday night, and it sounds like the second round is the lowest that he would potentially go.

http://walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress

teegre
04-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Tuesday Draft Week Rumors

Updated April 24, 2018
By Charlie Campbell

The 2018 NFL Draft is just two days away! Here are some rumors that I have heard from sources with the draft just hours away.

One of the late-risers as teams held their draft meetings has been Arkansas center Frank Ragnow. After a long run of being one of the most reliable offensive linemen in the the SEC, Ragnow had his senior year cut short by a high ankle sprain. That kept him out of the Senior Bowl, and WalterFootball.com was first to report that he would miss the combine workout. As a result, Ragnow has gone under the radar to a large degree, while other interior offensive line prospects like Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Billy Price, and James Daniels received more projections of being first- or second-rounders. However, sources say that Ragnow has a shot at being a late first-round or second-round pick.

In the 20s, a run could start on these interior offensive linemen, which could see them all go off the board by the end of the top-20 picks in the second round. The 6-foot-4, 307-pound Ragnow is viewed as having a good skill set while also being a polished blocker and a technician. Teams feel that he could be a starter at guard or center in the NFL. Ragnow might sneak into Thursday night, and it sounds like the second round is the lowest that he would potentially go.

http://walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress

NOOOOO!!!

Good for him, but I was hoping he’d slip to us at 60. We have too many other needs to take him at 28 (although, he would be a great pick, since he has never given up a sack).

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Terrell Edmunds was tied for the most votes in this poll, the Steelers just happened to pick him a round earlier than most of us had thought...

Shoes
04-26-2018, 10:40 PM
Terrell Edmunds was tied for the most votes in this poll, the Steelers just happened to pick him a round earlier than most of us had thought...

Just like TJ last year, many had him as a R2

st33lersguy
04-26-2018, 10:45 PM
If Darius Leonard is there, take him

86WARD
04-26-2018, 10:49 PM
WR

teegre
04-26-2018, 10:51 PM
I’ll change my vote to...

Justin Reid :wink02:

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2018, 10:51 PM
If Darius Leonard is there, take him

ILB or WR now that we traded Martavis Bryant would seem like logical positions to address in Day 2.

sorry Shoes :behindsofa:

Shoes
04-26-2018, 10:59 PM
ILB or WR now that we traded Martavis Bryant would seem like logical positions to address in Day 2.

sorry Shoes :behindsofa:

With Goedert you get the best of both worlds WR & TE. :chuckle:

teegre
04-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Joking aside...

If Edmunds is a dime ILB, then Justin Reid or Jessie Bates are still possibilities.

Shoes
04-26-2018, 11:01 PM
R2 Darius Leonard?

teegre
04-26-2018, 11:11 PM
R2 Darius Leonard?

Darius Leonard
Malik Jefferson
Jerome Baker (R3)

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 12:03 AM
James Washington.

Darius Leonard or Jefferson or Warner with the Raiders R3 pick and then BPA.

86WARD
04-27-2018, 05:42 AM
Joking aside...

If Edmunds is a dime ILB, then Justin Reid or Jessie Bates are still possibilities.

Would they be there at that stage when they pick again and would they take one of the two after drafting Edmunds and signing Burnett?

86WARD
04-27-2018, 05:43 AM
James Washington.

Darius Leonard or Jefferson or Warner with the Raiders R3 pick and then BPA.

I’d be good with this.

teegre
04-27-2018, 05:45 AM
Would they be there at that stage when they pick again and would they take one of the two after drafting Edmunds and signing Burnett?

Would they be there?
The way that this draft is unfolding, possibly so.

Would they draft Reid/Bates after drafting Edmunds?
If Edmubds is seen as more of an ILB, then yes.

86WARD
04-27-2018, 06:30 AM
I really want Daesean Hamilton on the Steelers Roster.

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 06:43 AM
With that pick yesterday it becomes an interesting conversation who they might pick. At some point they are getting a WR but could they go TE in round 2? RB?

ILB is going to be interesting because of a few things.

Where are people graded? There are still some good ILB's that could be round 2 or 3 guys like Kiser and Jewell but I have also seen them anywhere from round 3-5. So would the value be right? And is the position fit right? Kiser is a Buck and only a Buck and Jewell is viewed as a somehwat limited athlete for Mack but he could definitely play it. Most people say Shazier needs replaced but Williams is also on the last year of his contract. I think he will absolutely re-sign if given the oppurtunity but you never know.

Then there is the idea of Edmunds being a kind of hybrid guy. If they view him as a sort of ILB then maybe that priority drops some for them. So many questions and I am eagerly awaiting the answers. Truthfully I would love Kiser or Jewell at some point in this draft. Easily 2 of my favorite prospects. My gut tells me the 2nd is going to be a WR though.

teegre
04-27-2018, 06:50 AM
As I’ve done before, here are the players we want... and players we want drafted by other clubs (so that players from the first list drop to us). We need 28.

PLAYERS TE STEELERS WANT:
-Darius Leonard, ILB, South Carolina St.
-Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
-Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia
-Uchenna Nwosa, LB, USC
-Harold Landry, OLB, BC
-Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio St.
-Josh Sweat, OLB, Florida St.
-Arden Key, OLB, LSU
-Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
-Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn
-Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
-Ronald Jones II, RB, USC
-Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
-Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
-James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.
-Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
-Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
-Justin Reid, DB, Stanford (?)
-Jessie Bates III, FS, Vanderbilt (?)
-Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama (?)

PLAYERS WHO (IF DRAFTED) PUSH A PLAYER FROM LIST DOWN DOWN TO THE STEELERS:
-Connor Willians, RT, Texas
-Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
-James Daniels, C, Iowa
-Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma St.

REACHES AT 60 (EARLY R3 PLAYERS):
-Jerome Baker, ILB, Ohio St.
-DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn St.
-Dante Pettis, WR/KR, Washington
-Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
-DJ Chark, WR, LSU
-Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado St.
-Fred Warner, ILB, BYU
-Jesse Jewell, ILB, Iowa
-Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 07:27 AM
As I’ve done before, here are the players we want... and players we want drafted by other clubs (so that players from the first list drop to us). We need 28.

PLAYERS TE STEELERS WANT:
-Darius Leonard, ILB, South Carolina St.
-Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
-Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia
-Uchenna Nwosa, LB, USC
-Harold Landry, OLB, BC
-Sam Hubbard, OLB, Ohio St.
-Josh Sweat, OLB, Florida St.
-Arden Key, OLB, LSU
-Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
-Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn
-Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
-Ronald Jones II, RB, USC
-Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota St.
-Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
-James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St.
-Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
-Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
-Justin Reid, DB, Stanford (?)
-Jessie Bates III, FS, Vanderbilt (?)
-Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama (?)

Gotta disagree with the bold. I definitely don't want an RB or QB early. RB is such a fungible position that I think value can be found in just about any round and we still have Bell for this year and Connor flashed some good running last year even if he needs to clean up his pass pro. If you are taking a QB to replace Ben it needs to be high pedigree. We already grabbed Dobbs as a flier pick so no more of those.

As for Arden Key, no thanks at all with the character concerns for me. I don't start taking chances on guys like that until the 4th or later. I don't think the Steelers will either. They have started a trend of going for high character, smart guys. Watt, Sutton, and Dobbs all from last year and even Edmunds in the first this year they are talking about his family and leadership for VT. So you can cross Key off that list in super ultra permanent ink.

Jefferson I just don't like his tape all that much. He showed some flash being able to knife through blockers and make some impressive plays but he isn't the strongest guy or strongest tackler and that is something specifically they need to look for and improve on.

The underline I just did because I am pretty sure safety will be off of the board for us now with the Edmunds pick. I know there is talk of a hybrid role for Edmunds but that still covers safety along with Burnett and Davis.

I'd like to give you thoughts on the others but I didn't watch any offensive tape and never got around to any of the other defensive guys on your board. What I have been saying though is that if they go receiver I still think it should lean to the big side. Bryant is gone and Ben likes big targets and they now wont have one. You already have JuJu for the slot and possibly Eli Rogers. I am thinking 6'2 and higher for the guy they potentially go for and I know one guy that will fit that a little later than round 2 is J'Mon Moore. Sutton still hasn't been drafted either. Another name to keep an eye on is Equanimeous St. Brown. 6'5 214 lbs and runs a 4.4

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2018, 07:51 AM
I really want Daesean Hamilton on the Steelers Roster. You think he is more of a likely target in the 3rd? He is a good route runner and I think would be a good addition, but are maybe some bigger guys like Equanimous St. Brown or James Washington more of the big targets that Ben has stated in the past that he likes?

86WARD
04-27-2018, 07:59 AM
You think he is more of a likely target in the 3rd? He is a good route runner and I think would be a good addition, but are maybe some bigger guys like Equanimous St. Brown or James Washington more of the big targets that Ben has stated in the past that he likes?

If they could get Washington in Round 2 and then Hamilton with the Raiders 3 pick, I’d be good with that. Rather see a ILB or S then Hamilton at Raiders pick

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 08:13 AM
I forgot to add D.J. Chark to my list of someone to look out for. Another height, weight, speed guy the Steelers could be interested in if he makes it to them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2018, 08:19 AM
If they could get Washington in Round 2 and then Hamilton with the Raiders 3 pick, I’d be good with that. Rather see a ILB or S then Hamilton at Raiders pick

I really hope they don't draft 2WR's today. Such a waste IMO, as the WR position is so dependent on a lot of other factors,( much more than any other position on the field). Steelers have so many more pressing needs than finding a #3 WR, IMO they still need to find a #1 TE and ILB.

QB's make WR's good for the most part. Mike Wallace was never as good as when he had Ben throwing him footballs. Dez Bryant was better when Romo was his QB than Dak Prescott and Peyton Manning made dozens of marginal WR's into guys with 40+ catch seasons.

Born2Steel
04-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Tomlin and Colbert showed the most interest in Jefferson. I think Baker after Edmunds would be redundant. Or doubling down.

Dwinsgames
04-27-2018, 08:22 AM
my FEAR is this ....

the Bryant trade nets them an extra 3 ....

the cost of moving to the top part of round 2 would most likely be the Steelers 2 and a 3 ....

where the fear comes in is that move up will be for a QB and not a guy who will help us this or next year ...

that said Better Rudolph than Jackson who is now the Ravens problem to acclimate

teegre
04-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Gotta disagree with the bold. I definitely don't want an RB or QB early. RB is such a fungible position that I think value can be found in just about any round and we still have Bell for this year and Connor flashed some good running last year even if he needs to clean up his pass pro. If you are taking a QB to replace Ben it needs to be high pedigree. We already grabbed Dobbs as a flier pick so no more of those.

As for Arden Key, no thanks at all with the character concerns for me. I don't start taking chances on guys like that until the 4th or later. I don't think the Steelers will either. They have started a trend of going for high character, smart guys. Watt, Sutton, and Dobbs all from last year and even Edmunds in the first this year they are talking about his family and leadership for VT. So you can cross Key off that list in super ultra permanent ink.

Jefferson I just don't like his tape all that much. He showed some flash being able to knife through blockers and make some impressive plays but he isn't the strongest guy or strongest tackler and that is something specifically they need to look for and improve on.

The underline I just did because I am pretty sure safety will be off of the board for us now with the Edmunds pick. I know there is talk of a hybrid role for Edmunds but that still covers safety along with Burnett and Davis.

I'd like to give you thoughts on the others but I didn't watch any offensive tape and never got around to any of the other defensive guys on your board. What I have been saying though is that if they go receiver I still think it should lean to the big side. Bryant is gone and Ben likes big targets and they now wont have one. You already have JuJu for the slot and possibly Eli Rogers. I am thinking 6'2 and higher for the guy they potentially go for and I know one guy that will fit that a little later than round 2 is J'Mon Moore. Sutton still hasn't been drafted either. Another name to keep an eye on is Equanimeous St. Brown. 6'5 214 lbs and runs a 4.4

RB:
Steelesr fans are divided. Some want to replace Bell. Some do not want a RB at all. I’ll say this: Conner cannot block. Ergo, he did not see the field much. Someone like Kerryon Johnson (a clone of Bell) would take 150 snaps away form Bell, and Bell would still have 200 touches.

QB:
IMO, Lauletta is the third best QB is this draft. I’d gladly take him at 60.

KEY:
Good point about character.

JEFFERSON:
My problem with Jefferson is that he often appears lost. It’s my nice way of saying that he is stupid (and not just academically... he cannot seem to diagnose a play). But, he has ungodly physical traits.

SAFETY:
You're probably right. I missed out on LVE, but I had a few days to process that one (Dallas was so transparent with that pick that ISBN was a “lock” by Tuesday morning). So, losing out on Reid will take me another day to get over.

RECEIVERS:
I’d bet a month’s mortgage on Washington becoming a Steeler. He’s a fighter and blazing fast with the pads on (not just in the 40). J’Mon Moore visited, but I do not think he would/should be drafted at 60. If we are going to get a guy later on, I like Justin Watson.

Mojouw
04-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Okay. So if we just generate a list of dude's I wouldn't mind seeing drafted in this round (and maybe in Round 3 as well) I get:

Lorenzo Carter (actually I kinda want them to package the Raiders pick and their own 2nd rounder to go up and get this kid and then unleash him at ILB - Timmons 2.0)
Harold Landry - He's gonna get to the QB. Not sure he does much else as an OLB and he might get worked over in space, but sacks.
Eqanimious (sp?) St. Brown - Brown, St. Brown, and Smith-Schuster, Wide Receivers at Law. Business is Boomin!
Anthony Miller
Genard Avery
Fred Warner
Josh Sweat - You wanna rush the passer off the edge? Here's your guy.
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - Another edge rush gamble.
DJ Chark - another size/speed guy for the WR pipeline
James Washington - deep threat
Malik Jefferson - I wouldn't hate the pick...

Cyphon25
04-27-2018, 02:36 PM
RB:
Steelesr fans are divided. Some want to replace Bell. Some do not want a RB at all. I’ll say this: Conner cannot block. Ergo, he did not see the field much. Someone like Kerryon Johnson (a clone of Bell) would take 150 snaps away form Bell, and Bell would still have 200 touches.

QB:
IMO, Lauletta is the third best QB is this draft. I’d gladly take him at 60.

KEY:
Good point about character.

JEFFERSON:
My problem with Jefferson is that he often appears lost. It’s my nice way of saying that he is stupid (and not just academically... he cannot seem to diagnose a play). But, he has ungodly physical traits.

SAFETY:
You're probably right. I missed out on LVE, but I had a few days to process that one (Dallas was so transparent with that pick that ISBN was a “lock” by Tuesday morning). So, losing out on Reid will take me another day to get over.

RECEIVERS:
I’d bet a month’s mortgage on Washington becoming a Steeler. He’s a fighter and blazing fast with the pads on (not just in the 40). J’Mon Moore visited, but I do not think he would/should be drafted at 60. If we are going to get a guy later on, I like Justin Watson.

Man Teegre, you certainly open up a lot for discussion lol. It is awesome. I hope you don't take this as me 'targeting' you just to be a contrarian or anything, I just love the convo.

RB: I am for having Bells replacement, I just don't love early round RB value. One is because I think the position is fungible and you can get solid guys almost anywhere in the draft. The other is because if we want to look at a sort of 'win now' mode I don't see any RB taking as many snaps from Bell as you do. They don't want him off of the field.

QB: If the Steelers believe he is the future I would be okay with it, but if they are taken a flier on a guy I would hate it. They just took a flier on Dobbs last year so QB just doesn't make sense unless they are truly certain he will be the future.

Jefferson: So you are calling him the second round Tremaine Edmunds lol.

WR: It is hard for me to say who I personally like because I didn't watch offensive guys but it just seems so odd to me that the Steelers wouldn't bring in a big guy. Redzone has been a problem for years now and they just traded their biggest target. So why bring in another 6' guy who offers similar traits to what we already have? A good receiver is a good receiver so I wouldn't necessarily complain but there are a lot of big bodies still on the board. You are right about Moore. I have seen him as low as the 5th and maybe no higher than the 4th so I am not talking about taking him in the 2nd but if they don't take one he is a guy later on they might. I still have this idea of Sutton being the guy if he makes the slide. Kazora over at SD does those studies and Sutton checks every Steelers box when looking at WR traits. And he is 6'3 and over 210 lbs.

I am starting to really feel like TE could be on the board as well. They like McDonald but have to be hesitant with the injuries and James is a clear number 2. Just keep thinking Redzone help and that might lead us to the pick.

BlackAndGold
04-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Wide Receiver in round two. Washington, Kirk, Chark

Born2Steel
04-27-2018, 02:52 PM
The list of WRs I would like to see from this draft is almost endless. There is an unending supply of talent from this WR class. Hell, take 2 this draft.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-27-2018, 05:30 PM
If we go TE I think this should be the round!