PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Steelers select in Round 1?

hawaiiansteeler
04-10-2018, 04:37 PM
teegre just wrote a great article about the prospects the Steelers might select in the upcoming NFL Draft. if you haven't already read it you should do so, Tiger has truly outdone himself with this very well thought out article:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-2018-steelers-draft-big-board/

assuming all the players he mentioned are still available along with some others I also added, which of these 15 players would you select if you were the GM of the Steelers? and btw, I listed the players in alphabetical order:

Psycho Ward 86
04-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Justin Reid. BPA out of the defensive players listed. He's going to be a star, even better than his brother

hawaiiansteeler
04-10-2018, 07:07 PM
interesting start, 4 votes so far all for different players...

st33lersguy
04-10-2018, 07:22 PM
This was difficult. I chose to go for a center-fielding free safety and went with Bates. Give them what they've lacked really since Ryan Clark. Probably would have gone with Evans if I didn't want Leonard so much. A lot of good options here

Dwinsgames
04-10-2018, 08:48 PM
difficult ....

I took the road less traveled . biggest Need is ILB by far ( IMO )

but I just could not pass on Landry , the 3-4 is predicated on the pass rush and quite frankly Dupree has been a huge disappointment and needs an upgrade besides I like Darius Leonard a lot and am willing to gamble he is still sitting there at 60

teegre
04-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Time for Captain Deduction!!!

The Steelers have had dinner with:
-Jessie Bates III
-James Washington
-Derrius Guice
-LVE
-Ronnie Harrison
-Rashaan Evans

Guice and LVE should be gone. Bates, Washington, and Harrison are reaches (IMO). Ergo, my math says that Evans should be the pick.

But... in 2014, they merely “met” with Ryan Shazier (they did not eat eith him). That said, they showed quite a bit of interest in him... which reminds me of the interest that they have shown in two players: Mason Rudolph and Justin Reid. (They’ve “met” with both of these players twice each.)

My reaction to each of them is as follows:
Rudolph... meh
Reid... YES!!!

Ergo, Reid is the pick.

Rotorhead
04-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Our biggest need is ILB, I went with Evans, besides, if Shalieve does come back next year and is even close to his old self, imagine that ILB combo!

SteelMember
04-11-2018, 12:11 PM
difficult ....

I took the road less traveled . biggest Need is ILB by far ( IMO )

but I just could not pass on Landry , the 3-4 is predicated on the pass rush and quite frankly Dupree has been a huge disappointment and needs an upgrade besides I like Darius Leonard a lot and am willing to gamble he is still sitting there at 60

Would probably prefer the Landry pick, but my thinking he wouldn't be available pushes me towards Evans. I just think he is a better possibility at 28...

teegre
04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Wait a second... Shoes didn’t choose a TE???

Someone must have hacked his account!!! :lol:

Shoes
04-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Wait a second... Shoes didn’t choose a TE???

Someone must have hacked his account!!! :lol:

Well, I'm trying to pick how I think the Steelers will pick. I'd be ok with a TE in R1 ( :lol: ), but think the Steelers are going edge.

teegre
04-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Well, I'm trying to pick how I think the Steelers will pick. I'd be ok with a TE in R1 ( :lol: ), but think the Steelers are going edge.

Let’s say it is indeed a TE at 28... which one is your preference?

st33lersguy
04-12-2018, 02:34 PM
There are a lot of good options here that I like and I would be glad to see Bates, Evans, Reid, Landry, Hubbard, Guice, or Goeddert. I guess I wouldn't mind LVE because they need his coverage skills at the position, but I would rather have the previous players

86WARD
04-12-2018, 03:52 PM
It’s looking less and less like there will be any ILB left by the time the Steelers pick at 28. Two more teams just today have entered the inside linebacker sweepstakes.

teegre
04-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Two more teams just today have entered the inside linebacker sweepstakes.

Do tell...

Mojouw
04-12-2018, 07:52 PM
49ers and Bungles? Burfict is suspended and Rueben Foster is most likely going to jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
04-12-2018, 07:58 PM
49ers and Bungles? Burfict is suspended and Rueben Foster is most likely going to jail.

Right :nod:

Shoes
04-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Let’s say it is indeed a TE at 28... which one is your preference?

Goedert.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol:

teegre
04-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Goedert.

Maybe it is just me... but, when I hear his name, I hear a 3-year-old trying to say “Go-GURT”

hawaiiansteeler
04-12-2018, 11:43 PM

Report: Reuben Foster not eligible for exempt list yet, can participate in team workouts for now

Posted by Charean Williams on April 12, 2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/12/report-reuben-foster-not-eligible-for-exempt-list-yet-can-participate-monday/

86WARD
04-13-2018, 12:15 PM

Yeah. That potentially adds two more teams into that ILB sweepstakes.

tube517
04-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Maybe it is just me... but, when I hear his name, I hear a 3-year-old trying to say “Go-GURT”

You and I both have young children and that was also the first thing that popped in my head.

http://www.multivu.com/players/English/63127-yoplait-go-gurt/flexSwf/impAsset/image/8c191eb2-5e26-4323-8853-485e687bffe1.png

pczach
04-13-2018, 06:54 PM

My kids are grown, but I still think that every time I hear his name! :sofunny:

teegre
04-13-2018, 09:20 PM
You and I both have young children and that was also the first thing that popped in my head.

http://www.multivu.com/players/English/63127-yoplait-go-gurt/flexSwf/impAsset/image/8c191eb2-5e26-4323-8853-485e687bffe1.png

My kids are grown, but I still think that every time I hear his name! :sofunny:

:nod:

Whew!!!... I’m not Deone in my craziness.

Psycho Ward 86
04-14-2018, 10:42 AM

i remember how bad i wanted TJ Watt last year, but also thinking "damn, getting Reuben Foster now and trading up for TJ would be amazing too." Glad im not the GM

hawaiiansteeler
04-14-2018, 01:18 PM
i remember how bad i wanted TJ Watt last year, but also thinking "damn, getting Reuben Foster now and trading up for TJ would be amazing too." Glad im not the GM

in your defense Reuben Foster had an outstanding rookie season for the 49ers. when the 49ers traded up for him I thought they were getting a steal, although there were several red flags already which caused him to almost drop out of the first round.

teegre
04-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Interesting that Guice didn’t get a single vote... despite all of the “Replace Bell” threads.

pczach
04-16-2018, 05:54 AM
Interesting that Guice didn’t get a single vote... despite all of the “Replace Bell” threads.

I think I would rather have a guy like Penny a little later in the draft. A RB that has proven he can do everything within this offense. Not that Guice isn't a good back. It's just that taking a RB that high when they have defensive needs just doesn't seem right.

I'm pretty sure that's what most fans are thinking. DRAFT DEFENSE! :chuckle:

EzraTank
04-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Our biggest need is ILB, I went with Evans, besides, if Shalieve does come back next year and is even close to his old self, imagine that ILB combo!

Shazier is barely standing up on his own right now without looking like a 90 year old trying to get out of a chair. There is no way he plays next year or ever again at this point.

st33lersguy
04-16-2018, 12:59 PM

Guice is a good option and they do need to think about replacing Bell, but I just think it was hard to select Guice over all the other 1st round ILB, OLB, and S prospects

GBMelBlount
04-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Shazier is barely standing up on his own right now without looking like a 90 year old trying to get out of a chair. There is no way he plays next year or ever again at this point.

We shall see.

It was amazing that Spence ever saw the field again after his brutal injury.

As long as Shazier continues to improve I will continue to believe he has a chance for a full recovery.

86WARD
04-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Guice is a good option and they do need to think about replacing Bell, but I just think it was hard to select Guice over all the other 1st round ILB, OLB, and S prospects

There’s a good chance that none of those ILBs are even available at that point.

steelcityboyz
04-16-2018, 06:50 PM
There’s a good chance that none of those ILBs are even available at that point.Agreed. If Guice is there at 28 the steelers need to take him, being Bell will not be here next season.

hawaiiansteeler
04-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Agreed. If Guice is there at 28 the steelers need to take him, being Bell will not be here next season.

just wondering, how come you didn't vote for Guice then?

st33lersguy
04-17-2018, 08:22 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018reader_1.php

The Steelers are on the clock in Walterfootball's annual reader mock. Options are:

Rashaan Evans
Derrius Guice
Ronnie Harrison
Mike Hughes
Kyle Lauletta
Sony Michel
Justin Reid
Mason Rudolph

Evans has a commanding lead, poll may not last too long

teegre
04-17-2018, 08:25 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018reader_1.php

The Steelers are on the clock in Walterfootball's annual reader mock. Options are:

Rashaan Evans
Derrius Guice
Ronnie Harrison
Mike Hughes
Kyle Lauletta
Sony Michel
Justin Reid
Mason Rudolph

Evans has a commanding lead, poll may not last too long

That site always reroutes me to an ad...

Regardless, IMO, with those option available, it’s either Evans or Reid.

hawaiiansteeler
04-18-2018, 04:01 PM
28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

The Steelers just miss out on Rashaan Evans here. I think Leighton Vander Esch could be in play at this point, but some teams have him graded on Day 2 over significant injury concerns. Le'Veon Bell looks like he is on a 1-year proposition in Pittsburgh, and Michel could be a natural scheme fit as a replacement.

The 5-foot-11, 214-pound Michel averaged 7.9 yards per carry in 2017 for 1,227 yards with 16 touchdowns. Michel has a ton of fans in the scouting community and was receiving second-day grades during the fall before his tremendous finish to the season that put him in contention to be a first-round pick. One general manager told me he thinks Michel could go late in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Aside from being a quick back capable of ripping off long runs, Michel showed well in the passing game as a receiver and blocker during his collegiate career. Michel has starting potential for the NFL with speed, strength and versatility. He also enters the pros with less wear-and-tear after splitting carries with a variety of backs at Georgia.

Michel played well in 2016 while serving as the backup to Nick Chubb. On the season, Michel took 152 carries for 840 yards - a 5.3-yard average - and four touchdowns. He also had 22 receptions for 149 yards.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018charlie_1.php

teegre
04-18-2018, 07:56 PM
There really are a lot of very good RBs in this draft.

ALLD
04-18-2018, 08:34 PM
My guess is the Ravens or Bungles will draft an ILB just to keep the Steelers from getting one.

steelcityboyz
04-18-2018, 09:00 PM
just wondering, how come you didn't vote for Guice then?I like LVE to be honest.. But like 86 said they probably won't be there at 28

86WARD
04-18-2018, 09:31 PM
My guess is the Ravens or Bungles will draft an ILB just to keep the Steelers from getting one.

The sad part is the Bengals are no in the market for one to replace Burfict for the beginning of the season and they’d love to stick it to the Steelers...again.

Devilsdancefloor
04-18-2018, 09:49 PM
I like ronnie harrison at 28, so no worries whomever i have a draft crush on never happens, so youre all safe on your picks except shoes TE

st33lersguy
04-18-2018, 10:04 PM
I always notice that whenever one player is frequently linked to the Steelers in round 1, that pick does not end up happening. Evans to the Steelers feels a lot like 2012 when Don'ta Hightower was frequently mocked to the Steelers, then it didn't happen (in 2012 it was Decastro falling).

teegre
04-19-2018, 05:46 AM
I always notice that whenever one player is frequently linked to the Steelers in round 1, that pick does not end up happening. Evans to the Steelers feels a lot like 2012 when Don'ta Hightower was frequently mocked to the Steelers, then it didn't happen (in 2012 it was Decastro falling).

That is interesting, because over at the site that I was on at the time, DeCastro was the player whom we discussed the most. But, yes, Hightower was discussed quite a bit, as well.

Born2Steel
04-19-2018, 08:00 AM
I think plan A is ILB. OL, TE, WR, RB, and QB would all be a luxury pick for the offense. Bell is the starter with backups in place, IF everyone stays healthy and on the field, the other offensive positions are fine too. DL, CB, and Safety, with the addition of Burnett, would be a luxury pick also. That leaves ILB and OLB as first round needs. Plan A should be the more desperate ILB and plan B is edge rusher. If there are no 1st round ILB or OLB, then there will be a Safety, RB or QB the Steelers would consider. So I am down to 2 primary position goals and 3 secondary position goals. I f no ILB/OLB is there, I would hope to trade down though and get more overall picks.

Moose
04-19-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm just throwing my 2 cents in, which means nothing......but, I'm NOT a 'draft' person. Couldn't care less, I think the draft is useless and means nothing, just a waste of time, most of the time it takes 3/4 year's for any draft to pan out and by then either the player has been traded off or not even playing the 'drafted' position. I know it's just me, but the draft time situation is just a joke in the sports field and a time that all, or most, of the talking sport heads to get aroused about nothing. Like I said, just my opinion....LOL. I like the surprise of getting some young, exciting player ( i.e. JuJu) and think, " damn, where in the hell did we get him", rather than be pissed and disappointed when we get a bust and wasted a pick. It's all just a roll of the dice and no one knows how a draftee will pan out in the real world of the NFL.

teegre
04-19-2018, 02:09 PM
It's all just a roll of the dice and no one knows how a draftee will pan out in the real world of the NFL.

That is exactly why I find it so facilitating.

IowaSteeler927
04-20-2018, 07:18 AM
I think it's gotta be Evans or Vander Esch in Round 1. We have to fix the holes on defense. When Shazier wasn't on the field against Jacksonville in the playoff game, our run defense was pathetic. Shazier is that special, that he actual helps mask other deficiencies in our defense. We need an ILB that can try to fill his shoes. We also need a dominant pass rusher. Bud Dupree has been underwhelming, I wouldn't mind seeing Arden Key in Round 2 to provide Dupree with some motivation and competition.

Texasteel
04-20-2018, 09:05 AM
The draft is indeed a roll of the dice, but if it is a guess it should be an educated guess. Problem is, many of us, even those that do this for a living, get infatuated with a player and ignore some red flags. I did that with Jones myself.

I started with Evens, and will stick with him till another team calls his name. If we don't get an ILB in the 1st I hope we find one in the second, or 3rd at the latest, but don't draft one just to be drafting one.

I don't think Cincy will pick Evens because of the lack of drafting information. I don't believe he has a police record.

Dwinsgames
04-20-2018, 09:09 AM
I think plan A is ILB. OL, TE, WR, RB, and QB would all be a luxury pick for the offense. Bell is the starter with backups in place, IF everyone stays healthy and on the field, the other offensive positions are fine too. DL, CB, and Safety, with the addition of Burnett, would be a luxury pick also. That leaves ILB and OLB as first round needs. Plan A should be the more desperate ILB and plan B is edge rusher. If there are no 1st round ILB or OLB, then there will be a Safety, RB or QB the Steelers would consider. So I am down to 2 primary position goals and 3 secondary position goals. I f no ILB/OLB is there, I would hope to trade down though and get more overall picks.

this is a plan I can get behind

LLT
04-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Gotta believe that either Vander Esch or Evans will be when we pick. But I think a team ahead of us will "probably" grab Vander Esch due to his intangibles. Then I think we look at Safety in the second...and either WR or CB in the third.

teegre
04-20-2018, 02:03 PM
I don't think Cincy will pick Evens because of the lack of drafting information. I don't believe he has a police record.

:applaudit:

Joking aside, doesn’t “Arden Key to the Bengals” make complete sense???

teegre
04-20-2018, 02:24 PM
I think it's gotta be Evans or Vander Esch in Round 1. We have to fix the holes on defense. When Shazier wasn't on the field against Jacksonville in the playoff game, our run defense was pathetic. Shazier is that special, that he actual helps mask other deficiencies in our defense. We need an ILB that can try to fill his shoes. We also need a dominant pass rusher. Bud Dupree has been underwhelming, I wouldn't mind seeing Arden Key in Round 2 to provide Dupree with some motivation and competition.

It’s good to see you posting here, Iowa. (This made my day.)

Texasteel
04-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Gotta believe that either Vander Esch or Evans will be when we pick. But I think a team ahead of us will "probably" grab Vander Esch due to his intangibles. Then I think we look at Safety in the second...and either WR or CB in the third.

If we go WR in the first half of the draft. I like Gallup out of Colorado St.

BlackAndGold
04-21-2018, 02:59 AM
I've narrowed down the list of who I believe the pick will be if things go to plan (meaning players getting drafted where they're projected to go)

LVE (if he falls, some medical flagged him)
Bates
Evans
Harrison

Maybe list
Reid
Guice (just can't see it)
Lamar Jackson/Rudolph (which ever is there)

LLT
04-21-2018, 04:02 AM
If we go WR in the first half of the draft. I like Gallup out of Colorado St.

If we go 3rd or early 5th, Im guessing Richie James from Middle Tennesse St. or Christian Kirk of Texas A&M..... if we wait until the back end of the draft it might be Justin Watson of Penn St. or Quadree Henderson from Pittsburgh.

IowaSteeler927
04-21-2018, 04:44 AM
It’s good to see you posting here, Iowa. (This made my day.)

Thanks Teeg! Yeah it's been awhile since I've visited this neck of the woods. I'm going to make a concerted effort to post over here a little bit more! Hope all is well with you brother!

teegre
04-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Thanks Teeg! Yeah it's been awhile since I've visited this neck of the woods. I'm going to make a concerted effort to post over here a little bit more! Hope all is well with you brother!

I’m going to hold you to that. :wink02: Because, really, your insight & logical posts are always a welcome addition.

(Life is very good.)

pczach
04-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Hey Brother, great to see you here!

86WARD
04-22-2018, 04:44 AM
Anyone remember the clamoring for LenDale White? Lol.

Dwinsgames
04-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Anyone remember the clamoring for LenDale White? Lol.

all to well ....

IowaSteeler927
04-23-2018, 01:17 AM
Hey Brother, great to see you here!Thanks man. It's great to see some familiar faces, especially you and Teeg!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk