PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board

teegre
04-10-2018, 02:23 PM
Here is my latest article from The Point of Pittsburgh.

The 2018 Steelers Big Draft Board
by Tiger Rowan

In few weeks, I will be creating my annual Steelers mock draft. In the meantime, I will set up a draft board. The way that I arrange my draft board is similar to how NFL teams set up their draft boards.

First, I create a list of players whom the Steelers would absolutely love to draft, but those players also have no realistic chance of dropping down to 28. Similarly, I make a list of players whom the Steelers do not need, but again, those players will assuredly go in the top portion of the draft.

After compiling those two lists, I generally have about a dozen names written down (players who have absolutely no shot at dropping to 28). At this juncture, I can now create a tiered list of the players whom the Steelers might actually draft.

Last, but not least, I make a list of players that the Steelers do not need (or, whom I do not want). This list is crucial, because every time that one of these players gets drafted, it bumps one of the players from the third list (i.e. possible picks) down towards Pittsburgh’s slot.

With no further ado...

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-2018-steelers-draft-big-board/

Feel free to pass this along to anyone who you think may be interested... including Kevin Colbert and/or Mike Tomlin.

Dwinsgames
04-10-2018, 03:09 PM
nice work

pczach
04-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Good article Teeg.

The first round pick could go in any direction. Like any other year, we also have no idea who will still be available when the #28 pick is on the clock.

This is going to be exciting. Many are going to lose their minds. I hope I'm not one of them! :willy:

Mojouw
04-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Great Stuff!

teegre
04-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Good article Teeg.

The first round pick could go in any direction. Like any other year, we also have no idea who will still be available when the #28 pick is on the clock.

This is going to be exciting. Many are going to lose their minds. I hope I'm not one of them! :willy:

This is absolutely going to be the most exciting first round that I’ve ever experienced.

The top 5 could all be QBs... or, 3 QBs... plus, three trades... or no trades. And, the after effects cascade down like dominos, all the way down the board, right into the 28th pick, which could be literally ANY position.

All that is certain: no matter who the pick is, some Steelers fans will immediately hate it. :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
04-10-2018, 06:36 PM
All that is certain: no matter who the pick is, some Steelers fans will immediately hate it. :lol:

Fire Tomlin! :cool:

Born2Steel
04-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Love the part on the OL. My thoughts are the exact same, with one addition. BJ Finney is a FA after the 2018 season as well. Finney is currently the only backup for OG and Center. I can actually see an OL being picked in the first 3 rounds, or using 2 of the last 4 picks on OL. Losing Hubbard hurt a lot, he could play any position on the line. The interior of this OL could be in trouble if talent is not replaced.

st33lersguy
04-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Nice work

pczach
04-10-2018, 07:57 PM

If there is anything certain in life...........that's it!:toofunny:

Shoes
04-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Nicely done TR!

teegre
04-10-2018, 09:24 PM
If there is anything certain in life...........that's it!:toofunny:

Death, taxes, and Steelers fans being disgruntled. :lol:

Rotorhead
04-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Good read, thanks!

86WARD
04-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Good stuff teegre.

hawaiiansteeler
04-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Mel Kiper: Steelers draft a OLB, RB, CB in 3 round Mock Draft

Kiper has the Steelers going defense with two of their first three picks in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Bryan DeArdo - Apr 11

Round 1 (28): Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
Round 2 (60): Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
Round 3 (92): Chris Campbell, CB, Penn State

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Mel-Kiper-Steelers-draft-a-OLB-RB-CB-in-3-round-Mock-Draft-117230615

teegre
04-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Love the part on the OL. My thoughts are the exact same, with one addition. BJ Finney is a FA after the 2018 season as well. Finney is currently the only backup for OG and Center. I can actually see an OL being picked in the first 3 rounds, or using 2 of the last 4 picks on OL. Losing Hubbard hurt a lot, he could play any position on the line. The interior of this OL could be in trouble if talent is not replaced.

Plus... if we draft the replacements now, they can train under Munchak for a year or two (while Munchak is still here).

Born2Steel
04-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Plus... if we draft the replacements now, they can train under Munchak for a year or two (while Munchak is still here).

This is a deep draft for interior OL. I think we can get a very high quality guy in the 5th, maybe even double dip in the 5th. I do not see OL as a need for next season since we do have OTs that can move inside if absolutely needed, but after 2018 it gets very thin very fast. So maybe not double dip this draft(depending on who's on the board as always) but we should draft 1 and I would use a 5th.

Some rosters list Feiler as a backup OG, and some list him as a backup OT. The 3 new names just signed to camp are not expected to make the 53 or PS but maybe we get lucky with 1 or 2. Be nice to get 'Mike Hilton' lucky with one of them. I even found a roster that omitted AV completely. Truth is, IMO, the starting 5 are terrific. Backups are OT Hawkins, OG/C Finney, and OG/OT Feiler. I think 1 more quality interior guy would make us set.

teegre
04-12-2018, 08:03 PM
This is a deep draft for interior OL. I think we can get a very high quality guy in the 5th, maybe even double dip in the 5th. I do not see OL as a need for next season since we do have OTs that can move inside if absolutely needed, but after 2018 it gets very thin very fast. So maybe not double dip this draft(depending on who's on the board as always) but we should draft 1 and I would use a 5th.

Some rosters list Feiler as a backup OG, and some list him as a backup OT. The 3 new names just signed to camp are not expected to make the 53 or PS but maybe we get lucky with 1 or 2. Be nice to get 'Mike Hilton' lucky with one of them. I even found a roster that omitted AV completely. Truth is, IMO, the starting 5 are terrific. Backups are OT Hawkins, OG/C Finney, and OG/OT Feiler. I think 1 more quality interior guy would make us set.

As much sense as “we” are making, the Steelers have met with ZERO offensive linemen.

Not one.

Born2Steel
04-12-2018, 08:44 PM
As much sense as “we” are making, the Steelers have met with ZERO offensive linemen.

Not one.

Just that rugby player. How many visits left? And what WRs have we met with?

teegre
04-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Just that rugby player. How many visits left? And what WRs have we met with?

About 15

James Washington, Oklahoma St.
Donte Pettis, Washington
Richie James, Middle Tenn St.
Justin Watson, Penn
Quadree Henderson, Pitt

Born2Steel
04-12-2018, 09:06 PM
About 15

Donte Pettis, Washington
Justin Watson, Penn
Quadree Henderson, Pitt

Wow, 5'8" to 6'3". Hard to tell what type WR they are looking at. I think Pettis is the PR ace the Daves were talking about. He and Washington look like 2nd/3rd round guys, but small guys. I think I would rather look at 6'2" or taller if losing MB after 2018.

As for OG, this draft is the draft to get some really good guards. Many are decent center prospects as well. I would put a fairly large wager that we draft an interior OL this year.

Really want to emphasize how big losing Hubbard is. He played well for Gilbert when he was suspended. He played the blocking TE role in our jumbo package. I don't believe he ever had to play the center role, but he was able to move inside to guard as well. Now we are looking at possibly losing Foster and Finney after 2018 season and, again possibly, losing Pouncey and Decastro after 2019. It's not an urgent need but it is a need/want this draft.

teegre
04-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Wow, 5'8" to 6'3". Hard to tell what type WR they are looking at. I think Pettis is the PR ace the Daves were talking about. He and Washington look like 2nd/3rd round guys, but small guys. I think I would rather look at 6'2" or taller if losing MB after 2018.

As for OG, this draft is the draft to get some really good guards. Many are decent center prospects as well. I would put a fairly large wager that we draft an interior OL this year.

Really want to emphasize how big losing Hubbard is. He played well for Gilbert when he was suspended. He played the blocking TE role in our jumbo package. I don't believe he ever had to play the center role, but he was able to move inside to guard as well. Now we are looking at possibly losing Foster and Finney after 2018 season and, again possibly, losing Pouncey and Decastro after 2019. It's not an urgent need but it is a need/want this draft.

Washington has the two things that the Steelers love in receivers: speed and the willingness to fight for the football.

Ragnow from Arkansas is a stud... but, he’d be a Day 2 (instead of a Day 3) pick.

Oh, I absolutely think that OG & C are going to be huge needs. If the Steelers win the SuperBowl and Ben retires, so does Pouncey. With Foster aging/not having a contract, that leaves Finney at LG... and squat at OC.

My point (about visits) is that they haven’t had any visits with OL; so, it’s hard to say who they could draft. Then again, they attended Ohio State’s pro day (Price) and LSU’s pro day (they have two very good OGs). Lastly, they attended Arksnsas’s pro day, and there was no one worth watching there except for... Ragnow. :nod:

Born2Steel
04-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Washington has the two things that the Steelers love in receivers: speed and the willingness to fight for the football.

Ragnow from Arkansas is a stud... but, he’d be a Day 2 (instead of a Day 3) pick.

Oh, I absolutely think that OG & C are going to be huge needs. If the Steelers win the SuperBowl and Ben retires, so does Pouncey. With Foster aging/not having a contract, that leaves Finney at LG... and squat at OC.

My point (about visits) is that they haven’t had any visits with OL; so, it’s hard to say who they could draft. Then again, they attended Ohio State’s pro day (Price) and LSU’s pro day (they have two very good OGs). Lastly, they attended Arksnsas’s pro day, and there was no one worth watching there except for... Ragnow. :nod:

I like Ragnow a lot too. If there is no "center field safety" at 60 worth taking, I would consider Ragnow there. I still think 28 will be ILB, Reid or Bates.

hawaiiansteeler
04-13-2018, 12:56 PM
About 15

Donte Pettis, Washington
Justin Watson, Penn
Quadree Henderson, Pitt

add Christian Kirk to that list:

Steelers host Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk on pre-draft visit

By: Simon A Chester

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted their 16th pre-draft visitor on Friday and once again it is a name expected to go no earlier than the second round.

After an extremely productive career at Texas A&M, Christian Kirk should be among the first five wide receivers taken during the NFL Draft. Listed as a second-round prospect by most experts, Kirk has earned praise for his work ethic from coaches and scouts.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/13/steelers-host-texas-am-wr-christian-kirk-on-pre-draft-visit/

teegre
04-13-2018, 09:26 PM
add Christian Kirk to that list:

Steelers host Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk on pre-draft visit

By: Simon A Chester

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted their 16th pre-draft visitor on Friday and once again it is a name expected to go no earlier than the second round.

After an extremely productive career at Texas A&M, Christian Kirk should be among the first five wide receivers taken during the NFL Draft. Listed as a second-round prospect by most experts, Kirk has earned praise for his work ethic from coaches and scouts.

to read rest of article:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/13/steelers-host-texas-am-wr-christian-kirk-on-pre-draft-visit/

That list helped me narrow everything down.

The Steelers will draft a WR somewhere between R2 and R7.

pczach
04-13-2018, 10:20 PM

I'm praying for Anthony Miller in the second. :eyebrows:

I just don't think he'll still be there.

hawaiiansteeler
04-13-2018, 10:28 PM

but it certainly does look like the Steelers are serious about drafting a WR somewhere, you don't bring in six of them for official visits if you aren't.

teegre
04-14-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm praying for Anthony Miller in the second. :eyebrows:

I just don't think he'll still be there.

Miller had an awful pro day... so, I think he’ll be there in R3.

Mojouw
04-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Not one.
Munch doesn’t need pre draft visits or scouting. He just runs his hands over the list of prospects until he feels a disturbance in the o line force...then he drafts that guy.

teegre
04-14-2018, 10:58 AM
but it certainly does look like the Steelers are serious about drafting a WR somewhere, you don't bring in six of them for official visits if you aren't.

Plus, they’ve visited with 7 TEs.

Born2Steel
04-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Hate to put all in on any one player, but Allen Lazard could solve the WR and TE want/need for the steelers.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/allen-lazard?id=32462018-0002-5598-54b7-82a438b6b248
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/12/17180524/2018-nfl-draft-allen-lazard-iowa-state
https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/25/allen-lazard-nfl-draft-profile/

hawaiiansteeler
04-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Plus, they’ve visited with 7 TEs.

but they haven't brought in any of them for official visits...

teegre
04-15-2018, 04:32 PM
but they haven't brought in any of them for official visits...

True

That said, msybe the Steelers assessed everything that they needed to know during the Combine interviews.

hawaiiansteeler
04-15-2018, 10:45 PM
True

That said, msybe the Steelers assessed everything that they needed to know during the Combine interviews.

there's a huge party scheduled at Shoes' house if the Steelers draft a TE in Round 1 this year, everyone's invited! :chuckle:

teegre
04-16-2018, 09:26 PM
there's a huge party scheduled at Shoes' house if the Steelers draft a TE in Round 1 this year, everyone's invited! :chuckle:

:applaudit:

hawaiiansteeler
04-19-2018, 10:18 PM
True

if the Steelers view Vance McDonald as their starter and Jesse James as the backup then I wouldn't think TE would be addressed until Day 3. but that's a big if, McDonald seems to have a hard time staying on the field...

teegre
04-20-2018, 05:50 AM
if the Steelers view Vance McDonald as their starter and Jesse James as the backup then I wouldn't think TE would be addressed until Day 3. but that's a big if, McDonald seems to have a hard time staying on the field...

Ben loves McDonald. In that playoff game, we saw what Ben-to-McDonald can indeed be.

But, McDonald HAS to stay healthy.

Texasteel
04-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Nice work bud. By the way, I don't think an interior line pick is completely out of the question, but I do think it's unlikely.

Dwinsgames
04-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Ben loves McDonald. In that playoff game, we saw what Ben-to-McDonald can indeed be.

But, McDonald HAS to stay healthy.

and consistent .............. cant have Ben lose confidence in him

teegre
04-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Nice work bud. By the way, I don't think an interior line pick is completely out of the question, but I do think it's unlikely.

Rumor is that Quenton Nelson might slip into the teens. (Whaaaat???) If that did occur, as the other thread asked, “For whom would you trade up?” Well, my answer would be Nelson.

Texasteel
04-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Rumor is that Quenton Nelson might slip into the teens. (Whaaaat???) If that did occur, as the other thread asked, “For whom would you trade up?” Well, my answer would be Nelson.

Deja vu all over again? Trading into the teens probably would cost to much, but early twenties could rate some consideration. Hell, Bell may pay us to stay here.

teegre
04-20-2018, 09:16 PM
Deja vu all over again? Trading into the teens probably would cost to much, but early twenties could rate some consideration. Hell, Bell may pay us to stay here.

I know, right.

BELL: Gimme $18 million!!!

COLBERT: How about $14 million and we add Nelson...

BELL: Deal.

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2018, 10:03 PM
BELL: Gimme $18 million!!!

COLBERT: How about $14 million and we add Nelson...

BELL: Now I want $19 million.

there, fixed it for you.

Mojouw
04-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Starting to think far too much about how Round 1 goes down. I think Carter, Harrison, and one of the ILb will be on the board. Trying to think like Colbert, I come up with it being between Harrison and Carter. With Davis playing free safety and Burnett playing strong, Harrison has a year one role as a hybrid LB/safety sub package defender. Moving forward, he replaces Burnett. Some combination of Davis, Haden, and Sutton is the “answer” at FS.

Carter plays year one as an outside/onside package player. Eventually either moves inside full time and takes over for Bostic or supplants Dupree on the outside. If the latter, Long term ILB is then filled either with later round pick or in 2019 draft.

Wildcards in this are a sliding Nelson or Davenport. History says Colbert wouldn’t be able to resist either.

I’m gonna go on record saying Colbert can’t resist Carter if he’s there over both LVE and Evans. With Harrison as a fallback if they are feeling creative. Then Evans as they equivalent of applying to a safety school.

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Wildcards in this are a sliding Nelson or Davenport. History says Colbert wouldn’t be able to resist either.

Colbert has a history of not drafting small school players like Davenport in Round 1 and Nelson may slide a bit but nowhere near down to #28.

Mojouw
04-20-2018, 11:15 PM
Colbert has a history of not drafting small school players like Davenport in Round 1 and Nelson may slide a bit but nowhere near down to #28.

Stranger things and all that. Davenport would be a sharp break with non Ben tradition but he seems like the exact kind of toolsy edge rusher that Colbert can't resist.

But you are right, both would be a serious upset if they were both available and the pick

teegre
04-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Nelson may slide a bit but nowhere near down to #28.

True.

But, if he slides, how far up would you trade up?

28 = 660 points
60 = 300 points
92 = 130 points
Next year’s R1 is equivalent to this year’s R2 = 300

Trading our R3 gets us to 22.
Trading our R2 gets us to 17.
Trading our R2 & R3 gets us to 14.
Trading our R2 & R3 AND next year’s R1 gets us to 8.

If he gets to 22, I would 100% trade up. If he gets to 17... hmmm... maybe. Other than that, I cannot justify even considering it.

Texasteel
04-21-2018, 06:08 PM
Give up a 3rd round, you bet, a 2nd , I probably would probably take the clock down to 2 thinking that one over. I may be wrong about this kid, I was once before, no, twice, but I think this would make for probably the best interior line in the game, and make who ever our RB is look better. Then again, everyone knows I love the big uglies.

Born2Steel
04-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Give up a 3rd round, you bet, a 2nd , I probably would probably take the clock down to 2 thinking that one over. I may be wrong about this kid, I was once before, no, twice, but I think this would make for probably the best interior line in the game, and make who ever our RB is look better. Then again, everyone knows I love the big uglies.

Put the OL into a bigger picture perspective....Let's just say Ben retires after 2018/2019. Pouncey, Foster, and DeCastro could ALL follow him. Age/current contracts are why I say that's possible. Finney is a FA after 2018 also. Now you have Dobbs/Jones and maybe new rookie QB with a new OL and who's the RB? If we do not address the OL disaster looms. That's my opinion.

BTW, Will Hernandez pressed 37 times at the combine and is close to Nelson in run block and may be better in pass protections. Hernandez could easily be there at 28. Just saying may not be the need to trade.

Neversatisfied
04-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Put the OL into a bigger picture perspective....Let's just say Ben retires after 2018/2019. Pouncey, Foster, and DeCastro could ALL follow him. Age/current contracts are why I say that's possible. Finney is a FA after 2018 also. Now you have Dobbs/Jones and maybe new rookie QB with a new OL and who's the RB? If we do not address the OL disaster looms. That's my opinion.

BTW, Will Hernandez pressed 37 times at the combine and is close to Nelson in run block and may be better in pass protections. Hernandez could easily be there at 28. Just saying may not be the need to trade.

I'm concerned that scenario will happen as well but what concerns me more than the OL is Ben. If Ben is injured or just decides to move on what will the Steelers do rely on Landry Jones or Kordell Stewart (Dobbs)? If the Steelers organization chooses to ignore the writing on the wall and not draft a QB, Ben retired in the offseason this team won't win a playoff game for quite some time.

Texasteel
04-21-2018, 07:14 PM

I do see Hernandez as a notch below Nelson, but I think he is a legitimate 1st rounder and one big son of a gun. If we get to 28 and the steelers feel he is the best option I would have no problem with it. I mean, the Nelson scenario is not likely to happen. Like I said earlier, I think the drafting of any 1st round O-lineman is also unlikely, but who really knows.

Rotorhead
04-21-2018, 07:18 PM
I do see Hernandez as a notch below Nelson, but I think he is a legitimate 1st rounder and one big son of a gun. If we get to 28 and the steelers feel he is the best option I would have no problem with it. I mean, the Nelson scenario is not likely to happen. Like I said earlier, I think the drafting of any 1st round O-lineman is also unlikely, but who really knows.

That may be true, then we rebuild for a couple/few down years while trying to find our next franchise QB, so when he does get here, he has a team to play with. It would suck worse to have this great team and no QB to lead it to a SB

Born2Steel
04-22-2018, 12:49 AM

No way do I take OL in the first this draft. If the top 4 ILBs are gone, the top 3 OLBs are gone and somehow the top 3 safeties are also gone at 28, I would desperately try to trade down and get more picks. OL is a "need". But for the 2018 season it is a luxury pick. I see one of the 4 ILBs Smith, Edmunds, LVE, and Evans, or one of the 3 top edge guys in Chubb, Landry, or Carter, or one of the top safety prospects in Fitz, James, Reid, or Bates. I think the rest are luxury picks unless it's Guice, Nelson, or Lamar Jackson.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine, would the Steelers take a guy from UTSA in the first round to be a backup OG for the 2018 season?

Texasteel
04-22-2018, 07:19 AM
No way do I take OL in the first this draft. If the top 4 ILBs are gone, the top 3 OLBs are gone and somehow the top 3 safeties are also gone at 28, I would desperately try to trade down and get more picks. OL is a "need". But for the 2018 season it is a luxury pick. I see one of the 4 ILBs Smith, Edmunds, LVE, and Evans, or one of the 3 top edge guys in Chubb, Landry, or Carter, or one of the top safety prospects in Fitz, James, Reid, or Bates. I think the rest are luxury picks unless it's Guice, Nelson, or Lamar Jackson.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine, would the Steelers take a guy from UTSA in the first round to be a backup OG for the 2018 season?

Actually I agree with you as far as will they. Just don't agree as of, would I be upset if they do. Thats why I wrote, it is unlikely. The steelers are still a top 4 teem in their mind and mine. If they did take an OL it would be someone that in their mind is an unusually talented star, no matter what school he comes from..

teegre
04-22-2018, 09:16 AM

I agree 100% with everything in this post... (I even call them big uglies).

teegre
04-23-2018, 05:43 AM

Technically, it would be UTEP...

Born2Steel
04-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Technically, it would be UTEP...

Yep, that's the one.