PDA

View Full Version : Rob Rang Has Steelers Going ILB, QB, HB In Latest 3-Round Mock Draft

Shoes
04-08-2018, 02:59 PM
On Saturday, I passed along the latest three-round mock draft (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/dane-brugler-has-steelers-going-cb-s-qb-in-latest-3-round-mock-draft/) released by Dane Brugler this past week and today we’ll look at the three-rounder released by his sidekick (http://nfldraftscout.com/rang-3-round-mock-draft/) at NFL Draft Scout, Rob Rang.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/rob-rang-has-steelers-going-ilb-qb-hb-in-latest-3-round-mock-draft/

teegre
04-08-2018, 10:00 PM
LVE:
I’d love for LVE to be there, but he’s the “player du jour”.

Rudolph:
The feeling out there is that some team will reach for him as early as pick 15.
See: Christian Ponder
See: Ryan Tannehill

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2018, 12:55 AM
LVE:
I’d love for LVE to be there, but he’s the “player du jour”.

Rudolph:
The feeling out there is that some team will reach for him as early as pick 15.
See: Christian Ponder
See: Ryan Tannehill

I hope they get a productive player. I know you have the man crush on LVE, but I cant help but think he reminds me of a LB version of Scott Shields. Lots of measurable and hype, but what he has put on film isn't that impressive IMO.

Rudoph, I hope somebody reaches for him before the Steelers. I like the idea of Mike White in the 2nd round.

teegre
04-09-2018, 07:21 AM
I hope they get a productive player. I know you have the man crush on LVE, but I cant help but think he reminds me of a LB version of Scott Shields. Lots of measurable and hype, but what he has put on film isn't that impressive IMO.

Rudoph, I hope somebody reaches for him before the Steelers. I like the idea of Mike White in the 2nd round.

LVE:
Scott Shields was akin to Mike Mamula: a good player who had a tremendous Combine. LVE was looking more & more like a R1 pick before the Combine (although, his Combine did help).

LVE’s early tapes, even from the beginning of this year, showed major problems. But, as the year went on, his play got better & better. The Oregon game is where he currently is... and, if he continues his trajectory from the beginning of the year, he’ll be amazing by the end of his second NFL season.

Regardless of his flaws (e.g. not disengaging from O-linemen), he is he best coverage linebacker in this draft.

RUDOLPH:
My guess is that someone is indeed going to reach. Baltimore, San Diego, New England are all looking at a young replacement for their aging QBs.

Mojouw
04-09-2018, 09:56 AM
LVE:
Scott Shields was akin to Mike Mamula: a good player who had a tremendous Combine. LVE was looking more & more like a R1 pick before the Combine (although, his Combine did help).

LVE’s early tapes, even from the beginning of this year, showed major problems. But, as the year went on, his play got better & better. The Oregon game is where he currently is... and, if he continues his trajectory from the beginning of the year, he’ll be amazing by the end of his second NFL season.

Regardless of his flaws (e.g. not disengaging from O-linemen), he is he best coverage linebacker in this draft.

RUDOLPH:
My guess is that someone is indeed going to reach. Baltimore, San Diego, New England are all looking at a young replacement for their aging QBs.

For the Rudolph Reach (trademark applied for) don't forget Saints and Cardinals. Both could use a QB. Breesus can't play forever and who is even the starter in Arizona? Bradford? So what happens after Bradford's body explodes in Week 2?

Here is my thing from LVE, I can't get the images from that tape breakdown I posted last week or so. In games where the team puts a blocker on him, he ends up off his feet every time. Best case is he falls into the back. In the Oregon game, they seem to have just forgot to block him and LVE excelled. How many games in the NFL is he not going to have stack and shed an offensive lineman or a TE on the way to the RB? I'm gonna go ahead and guess exactly zero. He has the same athletic tools as TJ Watt according to pizza spiderweb graphs, but Watt almost never ended up off his feet in college and seemed to have a stunning ability to disengage from OL. LVE has about none. Now, he is one of the best coverage backers in the draft and that is a great skill to have. So currently he is the inverse of Vince Williams. Not sure I can pull the trigger on that in the first round.

This is from the Huddle Report (one of my favorite places for player write-ups that are a bit out of step with the normal) - http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2018profiles/Leighton.VanderEsch.htm
"There is a lot of athletic talent in a big body that I would think that most teams will struggle to pass on in the 1st round nevertheless if Leighton is put on the field too early he will struggle to impact and hold up. He needs to be in a good strength and conditioning program to bring his upper body up to the level required for the next level. If he is moved to the outside he needs to learn a lot more and better pass rush moves to become a complete player along with learning how to shed blocks better to make tackles when those big pulling offensive guards and tackles come at him to set the edge."

Way I see it is that if your draft LVE, you are drafting a specialty tool in year one - some sort of nickel or dime LB that can come in and hopefully run with TEs and some WRs in obvious passing situations. Then you just hope that by year two you can teach him the techniques and rock him up w/out losing quickness and flexibility enough that he doesn't get put on his ass by every blocker. I am by no means saying that LVE isn't a good player and I suspect that if he is on the board, he will be the pick. But I am saying that I think the pick will almost solely be on the contributions from year 2-5 and year 1 I anticipate being almost a redshirt year.

FWIW - same sight as above on Mason Rudolph -- "Although Mason has the potential to be a franchise quarterback that will never happen unless he learns how to better deal with pressure in the pocket. Right now he lacks the instincts to manipulate the pocket and feel pressure and he does lose accuracy under pressure, throwing the ball high when he is forced out of the pocket or has to move his feet." and "He reminds me of Arizona Cardinals Carson Palmer and Baltimore Ravens Joe Flacco. He throws the deep ball with excellent accuracy and velocity. "

86WARD
04-10-2018, 08:50 AM
I think Arizona takes Rudolph but takes him in the second round.