PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young's maturity

Bipolar The Titan
09-20-2010, 05:20 AM
I was actually at the game, so I don't know if this was on camera... but did anyone happen to see Vince Young's reaction to that particularly VICIOUS sack? I was actually concerned. From what I saw, and he was slow to get up.. I thought he may have been hurt. To me it looked as if he was picked up and slammed. Now before anyone goes popping off accusing me of making a dirty play argument, that's not what this topic is about. While I don't think the play was "dirty"... I do think had that been, say... Peyton Manning... or even Drew Brees... then it would be penalized... maybe... can't really rough a guy who isn't passing, right? Ok... here's my point... Feel free to disagree, but I think Philip Rivers or Peyton Manning would go running to the man in the white hat asking where in the hell his call is... But what did Vince do? After he got his wind he hopped up on his feet, left the field swiftly while clapping his hands. Vince actually applauded the play of the physicality of the defense. Vince may never be a Hall of Famer like Peyton Manning will inevitably be, but I think Vince has a sense of gamesmanship that is superior to Manning. Just my opinion. Thoughts anyone?

Bipolar The Titan
09-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Furthermore... Vince had a bad game. He was benched. I thought he took that well.

venom
09-20-2010, 06:01 AM
I have no idea how he got up from that pile driver . Strong kid !

HometownGal
09-20-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm shocked that Young even got UP from that sack!

I do give the young man props for not crying and whining about it like Fairy Tom surely would have. He took his punishment like a man and walked off the field. :drink:

GodfatherofSoul
09-20-2010, 07:31 AM
He was clapping because he thought he was back in his 3rd grade music jamboree.

steelpride12
09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
There were a few times I saw him just have that facial expression late in the game like he was giving up or didn't care, but hey he never actually complained or cried so props to him.

Steeldude
09-20-2010, 08:45 AM
i'm shocked the titans haven't given up on this young experiment.

fansince'76
09-20-2010, 08:49 AM
While I don't think the play was "dirty"... I do think had that been, say... Peyton Manning... or even Drew Brees... then it would be penalized...

I agree. Considering the pussified rules that are in place nowadays, I'm surprised that it wasn't flagged, particularly in light of the bogus roughing the passer penalty the Ravens got hit with yesterday. And there is NO QUESTION had it been Manning or Brady, both of them would have whined loudly to the refs about it, it would have been flagged, and some hefty fines from the league office would have been handed out this morning to boot. On a side note, I'm glad Young was OK.

BnG_Hevn
09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
I think Manning/Brady etc complain to the Refs because they think they can get the call, not necessarily because they deserve the call. It's the ole "squeaky wheel gets the grease" argument. You see it all the time, a lot with kickers - when they earn academy awards by their performances. Many times refs will be on the fence and the reaction of the player will push them to one side or the other.

I don't agree with it, but it is the reality of the NFL.

43Hitman
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
He was clapping because he thought he was back in his 3rd grade music jamboree.

:rofl2::rofl2:

SteelerEmpire
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought I would see his helmet rolling out from under that pile with his head in it... or "some form" of separating his head from shoulders !!! If anything, Young gets a 99 for durability !

Craic
09-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree. Considering the pussified rules that are in place nowadays, I'm surprised that it wasn't flagged, particularly in light of the bogus roughing the passer penalty the Ravens got hit with yesterday. And there is NO QUESTION had it been Manning or Brady, both of them would have whined loudly to the refs about it, it would have been flagged, and some hefty fines from the league office would have been handed out this morning to boot. On a side note, I'm glad Young was OK.

I have to agree on every statement here. The play was still going. The refs didn't blow the whistle. the Steelers finished the play. VY got up and walked off.

Now, if he was in the process of passing, that may be different. The more important question however, is if the QB's are so dang important to this league, and the league wants to protect them, then why wasn't a WHISTLE BLOWN SOONER?

Sure is sad when you know that Tom "I can play QB because my coach cheated and told me what the defense was going to do for half a decade" Brady and Peyton Manning would have gotten a 15 yard penalty and maybe even an ejection out of it.

ALLD
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
If it makes Titans fans feel any better, Chris johnson was also slammed to the ground and beat up by the defense, but in a slower battle of attrition. I must agree that the gang tackle on Vince Young looked like something more out of Shawshank prison rather than the NFL.

The Steeler defense played angry and it was payback for disrespecting them in the past.

JayC
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
indeed i give him some props (although he was terrible) for not crying for a flag after the piledriver sack like carson palmer or tom brady would have

Iron Steeler
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
My opinion of the body slam, was it a dirty play? Absolutely
Was it the steelers fault? Absolutely not.

It was the officials, your always trained as a player to play through the whistle. And the Steelers players went 100% until the heard a whistle.

Side note: The reason I think that there was no whistle is because Vince Young is such a beast. For example does anyone remember Mithais Kiwinuka wrap him up completely then think the play was over then he scamper for a first down. Plays like that might have put a thought in the head of the official that "eh maybe hell get out of it" hence no whistle.

Makes a good highlight for a defense tho

Borski
09-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I wanna see the look on Josh Freeman's face looking at that play while studying film for the game this week.

SteelerEmpire
09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
If it makes Titans fans feel any better, Chris johnson was also slammed to the ground and beat up by the defense, but in a slower battle of attrition. I must agree that the gang tackle on Vince Young looked like something more out of Shawshank prison rather than the NFL.

The Steeler defense played angry and it was payback for disrespecting them in the past.

Maybe the "Terrible Towel" didn't totally forgive the Titans after all ?

salamander
09-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I wanna see the look on Josh Freeman's face looking at that play while studying film for the game this week.

Probably something along the lines of "I'm f*cked."

ALLD
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Watch Freeman come all duct taped up with extra padding like the Michelin Man.

stlrtruck
09-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Probably something along the lines of "I'm f*cked."

Watch Freeman come all duct taped up with extra padding like the Michelin Man.

I hope they have a picture of his face on the jumbo tron when it happens!

beSteelmyheart
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Now that you bring it up, you are probably right-If "Tom Terrific" could have even survived such a hit there is no doubt it would have been a big penalty for the Steelers. We've also seen plenty of no-calls for the same thing involving Ben, so I'll have to tip one for Vince Young.:drink:

zulater
09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

If that was Brady, or Manning, Goodell would be sending a firing squad to Pittsurgh this week. :smokin:

Bipolar The Titan
09-21-2010, 07:58 AM
The reason I think that there was no whistle is because Vince Young is such a beast. For example does anyone remember Mithais Kiwinuka wrap him up completely then think the play was over then he scamper for a first down. Plays like that might have put a thought in the head of the official that "eh maybe hell get out of it" hence no whistle.
Remember? I don't think I'll ever forget that. That game was miraculous. Titans fans call it the "Pacman" game though. At LP Field in 2006—Vince Young's eighth career start—they scored 24 points in the final 10 minutes of the fourth quarter, erasing a 21-0 deficit to win 24-21.

I almost saw a miracle Sunday. For a moment OT look like a distinct possibility. At LP Field, you got to play 60 minutes and it ain't over 'till it's over.