PDA

View Full Version : I see a lot of similarities

Dwinsgames
03-31-2018, 07:06 PM
in round 3 .....

I am all over this kid ( may be tempted to pull the trigger earlier )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekFflo8fHI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmT5sX7G3xk

st33lersguy
03-31-2018, 07:12 PM
He won't make it to the Steelers round 3 pick. I'd take him in round 2 if the Steelers don't go ILB in round 1. Really like the guy

Dwinsgames
03-31-2018, 07:16 PM
He won't make it to the Steelers round 3 pick. I'd take him in round 2 if the Steelers don't go ILB in round 1. Really like the guy

have been running a lot of mock sims lately and am astonished at just how many of those times there is no ILB or FS worthy of a rd 1 pick ( who knows how the real draft will pan out )

honestly see a ton of good things with this kid and personally would have no issue taking him in rd 2 ..tons of upside

teegre
03-31-2018, 10:00 PM
Darius Leonard was (arguably) the best defender on the field at the Senior Bowl.

Steeldude
04-01-2018, 04:32 AM
Has anyone figured out his weight yet? The combine weighed him in at 213lbs.

teegre
04-01-2018, 06:56 AM
Has anyone figured out his weight yet? The combine weighed him in at 213lbs.

I think the 213 is a typo/someone transposed the numbers.

Regardless, his weight was my concern, as well. As I mentioned previously, he was only 180 lbs. as a freshman, and rapidly put on 50 lbs. That kind of weight gain happens, but it also reminds me of Kendrell Bell (whose body shut down after just a few seasons in the NFL).

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Steelers drafted Hargrave from the same program. They are familiar with the issues related to projecting the level of competition to the NFL. Unless they absolutely fall in love with Evans or LVE, this kid seems like a great solution at ILB.

Heck, depending on how the rest of the draft plays out -- could be part of a LB double dip.

A depth chart of:

Bostic
VW
Evans/LVE
Leonard
Matekevich

Certainly looks far more robust than the current depth chart. One could argue it is overkill -- but it would ensure a "solution" is found.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Darius Leonard was (arguably) the best defender on the field at the Senior Bowl.

I agree. He showed the ability to recognize plays, the speed to track down the ballcarrier and tackle well there and during the season. His measurements in Mobile were 6'2" 229lbs. I would be happy if they drafted him in the 2nd round as well.

Dwinsgames
04-01-2018, 12:56 PM

I think the 213 is a typo/someone transposed the numbers.

Regardless, his weight was my concern, as well. As I mentioned previously, he was only 180 lbs. as a freshman, and rapidly put on 50 lbs. That kind of weight gain happens, but it also reminds me of Kendrell Bell (whose body shut down after just a few seasons in the NFL).

I personally am not concerned with it at all , his frame still has some room he looks thin even at 231 ..nothing an NFL weight room / trainers and dietician can not take care of ...I think he has plenty of room to bulk up without losing any mobility ... looking for 10-15 pounds of good weight ....

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2018, 01:05 PM
I personally am not concerned with it at all , his frame still has some room he looks thin even at 231 ..nothing an NFL weight room / trainers and dietician can not take care of ...I think he has plenty of room to bulk up without losing any mobility ... looking for 10-15 pounds of good weight ....

I agree. Deion Jones of Atlanta is listed as 6'1" 222lbs. That is the guy that I think Leonard reminds me of most. So he plays at 6'2" and 235lbs, but can run and tackle....that works in todays NFL.

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 01:09 PM
I agree. Deion Jones of Atlanta is listed as 6'1" 222lbs. That is the guy that I think Leonard reminds me of most. So he plays at 6'2" and 235lbs, but can run and tackle....that works in todays NFL.

Didn't Leonard run like a 4.7 at the combine? I mean he certainly looks faster than that on tape.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/embed/darius-leonard?position=LB&page=GRAPH

I can't find Pro Day numbers for him. Would really like to see what he times out at in the change of direction stuff. I'm not saying that a kid has to run a 4.4 or a 4.3 or something to play ILB -- but 4.7 is pretty darn slow.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Didn't Leonard run like a 4.7 at the combine? I mean he certainly looks faster than that on tape.

I can't find Pro Day numbers for him. Would really like to see what he times out at in the change of direction stuff. I'm not saying that a kid has to run a 4.4 or a 4.3 or something to play ILB -- but 4.7 is pretty darn slow.

True, Roquan Smith posted a 4.51 and VanderEsch a 4.65. I don't think the 4.7 is terrible, but its not eye opening. Film looks good on him and the Senior Bowl I like because it has best on best competition instead of FCS schools only.

Dwinsgames
04-01-2018, 01:32 PM

4.7 is correct ...

not a big fan of reading to much into this stuff though because of a few factors ...

1) a bad start off the blocks in a 40 can be irrecoverable .2 -.3 is easily lost with a bad start and these are football players not track stars

2) timed events in shorts are often very different than same event with pads , not every player carries pad weight the same as the next guy it may slow some while others show no discernible difference in movement

I always use this as my guide watch the tape is he moving as fast or faster than those he is trying to tackle , do people run away from him or is he always stride for stride or gaining ground ....

then there is this further proving that my eyes are seeing what I think I am seeing http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000909829/DJ-SC-State-LB-Darius-Leonard-could-be-the-next-Telvin-Smith

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 01:50 PM
4.7 is correct ...

not a big fan of reading to much into this stuff though because of a few factors ...

1) a bad start off the blocks in a 40 can be irrecoverable .2 -.3 is easily lost with a bad start and these are football players not track stars

2) timed events in shorts are often very different than same event with pads , not every player carries pad weight the same as the next guy it may slow some while others show no discernible difference in movement

I always use this as my guide watch the tape is he moving as fast or faster than those he is trying to tackle , do people run away from him or is he always stride for stride or gaining ground ....

then there is this further proving that my eyes are seeing what I think I am seeing http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000909829/DJ-SC-State-LB-Darius-Leonard-could-be-the-next-Telvin-Smith

All that is true. And will the MEAC isn't exactly some terrible level of competition filled with folks that would struggle to play beer league softball or something -- it isn't full of the elite athletes that are playing on Sundays.

So if a kid seems to fly around the field at a lower level of competition and runs a slow time - I worry that while he still looks fast on tape, it is because everyone is 2 steps slow at the level.

All that being said, I really think Leonard could end up being first round value at a third or fourth round pick.

Dwinsgames
04-01-2018, 02:10 PM
All that is true. And will the MEAC isn't exactly some terrible level of competition filled with folks that would struggle to play beer league softball or something -- it isn't full of the elite athletes that are playing on Sundays.

So if a kid seems to fly around the field at a lower level of competition and runs a slow time - I worry that while he still looks fast on tape, it is because everyone is 2 steps slow at the level.

All that being said, I really think Leonard could end up being first round value at a third or fourth round pick.

his SR bowl week was stand out stuff vs mostly guys from higher level of competition if that makes you feel any better :)

teegre
04-01-2018, 09:07 PM
his SR bowl week was stand out stuff vs mostly guys from higher level of competition if that makes you feel any better :)

IMO, the Senior Bowl is a pretty good indicator of success... because, as you said, it’s an All Star game of future NFL players. Plus, it shows how quickly a player can pick up a new system.

(not directed at you, but it needs to be said)
I heard Merril Hope talking about small school prospects, and he said it as simple as this: “If you can play, you can play.” He cited Jerry Rice, Carson Wentz, & Khalil Mack. And, Leonard can play.

Leonard might be smaller, but I don’t really care; he makes the tackle (whereas, Jerome Baker always seems to get blocked out of plays by a wide receiver).

I still prefer LVE, but if we go another route in R1, I’d gladly “settle” for Leonard in R2.