PDA

View Full Version : Wonderlic test scores of 2018 NFL Draft QBs leaked

Shoes
03-29-2018, 06:59 PM
The Combine is a huge part of the NFL Draft process for prospects, and in addition to position drills and basic athletic testing, prospects are asked to take the Wonderlic test (https://www.wonderlic.com/). The scores of these tests are supposed to remain private, but every year some of them get leaked.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wonderlic-test-scores-2018-nfl-180347825.html

BnG_Hevn
03-30-2018, 08:02 PM
13?

You could probably score that by choosing the same option for all questions. Assuming it's multiple choice.

Craic
03-30-2018, 10:19 PM
13?

You could probably score that by choosing the same option for all questions. Assuming it's multiple choice.

It's a culturally biased test. While I often don't put stock in "cultural bias" and other things, in this case, it is very true. I just took an example test that asked questions such as "Which of the following does not relate to a triangle: obtuse, Rhombus, etc. etc." It is only through reading certain types of texts or being around certain elements that a person knows the answer is rhombus. Another one was "which state is on the West coast." That question has nothing to do with intelligence. If a person lives on the West coast, or reads, or has looked at a map, it's easy. However, for people who had no reason to pay attention to geography, it is a meaningless question.

There are culturally unbiased tests that are much better for this type of thing. Those tests just look for pattern recognition, which makes a lot more sense for a football player as their whole game is dependent on quick pattern recognition and breaks in patterns.

Born2Steel
03-30-2018, 11:13 PM
It's a culturally biased test. While I often don't put stock in "cultural bias" and other things, in this case, it is very true. I just took an example test that asked questions such as "Which of the following does not relate to a triangle: obtuse, Rhombus, etc. etc." It is only through reading certain types of texts or being around certain elements that a person knows the answer is rhombus. Another one was "which state is on the West coast." That question has nothing to do with intelligence. If a person lives on the West coast, or reads, or has looked at a map, it's easy. However, for people who had no reason to pay attention to geography, it is a meaningless question.

There are culturally unbiased tests that are much better for this type of thing. Those tests just look for pattern recognition, which makes a lot more sense for a football player as their whole game is dependent on quick pattern recognition and breaks in patterns.

I only took a wonderlic test once as part of a job interview process. My questions were more common sense related, like it showed a picture of several gears labeled a,b,c,and d for example. If a turns clockwise which direction does d turn? That sort of thing. Or it showed a pulley system and which rope will lift the bucket type question. Very similar to the ASVAB I took in highschool.
I still have no idea how this test relates to a QB and football.

Craic
03-30-2018, 11:30 PM
I only took a wonderlic test once as part of a job interview process. My questions were more common sense related, like it showed a picture of several gears labeled a,b,c,and d for example. If a turns clockwise which direction does d turn? That sort of thing. Or it showed a pulley system and which rope will lift the bucket type question. Very similar to the ASVAB I took in highschool.

That, at least, is a little more culturally neutral. It relates, I believe, by associating spacial reasoning, pattern understanding, etc. Those are the types of intellectual processes that lay underneath the specifics of many types of jobs.

Mojouw
03-31-2018, 12:10 AM

I think the goal is to benchmark how fast a kid processes information. But that is kinda odd because ultimately all these prospects are basically idiot savants about football.

Read any interview with Ben. He sounds like a moron but he knows where to go with the football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
03-31-2018, 07:22 AM
I think you are both right. This test is timed, therefore it assesses how quickly you process info, recognize patterns, memory match, etc. It's more about logic and reasoning skills than an intelligence gage. It makes more sense to me now why it's a tool used with QB prospects to measure ability in presnap breakdowns, blitz hot reads, how fast they can go through passing checkdowns, or trust with audibles. I don't think it is a defining tool by any means but I can understand why it is used now. Appreciate the explanations. Just never really wondered about it before last night.

teegre
03-31-2018, 09:30 AM
As I mentioned elsewhere...

The 40 time is to defensive backs as the Wondelic score is to quarterbacks.

Neither measure has a direct correlation with actual play on the football field.

Born2Steel
03-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Of course there is no direct correlation but there is some indirect correlation. All these tests and questions and measurements and physicals are used to paint a broader picture of the individual as well as the athlete. I love looking at the stats and measuring which ILB runs faster, is the better tackler, and makes the splash plays behind the LOS or in coverage. What I don't look at is the Wonderlic scores, the response to "inappropriate" questions, or even how they interview on those ESPN draft specials. I have to wonder, where QBs are concerned, how much of the info determined by a wonderlic test does correlate to a QB's ability to know when a LB showing blitz presnap actually drops at the snap. Or understanding to just throw the ball away in the redzone rather than try to split a double/triple coverage and turn the ball over. QBs have to be able to think and deduce on the fly and under pressure more than any other position on the field. I know there is no number that directly or accurately describes this, but it is a noteworthy number.

OR...what does it say about a player character if he just goes through the test marking the first answer option for each question? If you add a detail like that, to a player refusing to run a 40 for scouts, plus refusing to even consider moving positions, that player starts to look more and more like Kordell or Tebow. Just pre-draft goofy analysis stuff.

teegre
03-31-2018, 10:54 AM
I think the goal is to benchmark how fast a kid processes information. But that is kinda odd because ultimately all these prospects are basically idiot savants about football.

Read any interview with Ben. He sounds like a moron but he knows where to go with the football.

It sounds like the premise for a sit-com.

He is an idiot savant quarterback who knows where to throw the football.

She is a 1970’s disco queen.

What would happen if the two of them switched bodies whenever they hear the name “Mr. T”...??? I’ll tell you what would happen: hilarity.

“Why is our quarterback singing ‘Hot Stuff’?”

Starring... Ben Roethlisberger and Donna Summer, with special appearances by Mr. T.

It’s “Ben There, Donna That!!!”

Steeldude
03-31-2018, 02:47 PM

The test isn't biased at all. You are either well educated or you are not well educated.

If a US citizen doesn't know where each state lies on a map then he needs to go back to elementary school.

IMO, the Wonderlic test is similar to the bench press. The bench press is an indicator of how much time was spent in the gym. The Wonderlic is an indicator of how much time was spent in class.

If a players scores a 10 or below you really have to wonder what he has done his entire life. Did he completely disregard school?

Dwinsgames
03-31-2018, 02:50 PM
If a players scores a 10 or below you really have to wonder what he has done his entire life. Did he completely disregard school?

Jeff George resembles that remark

Dwinsgames
03-31-2018, 02:56 PM
best and worse all time wonderlic scores ( as of 2012 )

Morris Claiborne scored a 4
Frank Gore a 6

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1130834-nfl-draft-2012-the-5-best-and-the-5-worst-wonderlic-scores-in-nfl-history

DesertSteel
03-31-2018, 03:03 PM
I've administered many Wonderlic's and taken the test numerous times myself. My company would not consider someone with a score below 18, even for an entry level position. My personal knowledge of the test leads leads me to believe that it is relevant in assessing someone's intelligence as well as how fast he processes information and forms conclusions. I'd be very leery of a QB with 13 score.

Dwinsgames
03-31-2018, 03:44 PM
I think part of what is lost when looking at wonderlic scores is people inability to differentiate between the results and what those results mean to the game of football ...

sure it can be a helpful tool to see how well you can sift through information , that said you first have to know the answers to the questions or you will never sort through it

knowing where a specific state is on the map , what direction a gear travels if driven by gear A or B will not ever help you to know where to go with the football with a single high safety and showing man coverage ...

it will tell you who got good grades in school ( without cheating )

it may give you an indicator of who may or may not be easily led into bad situations

Bradshaw 16 wonderlic - 4 Lombardis
Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 wonderlic - 0 Lombardis

Born2Steel
03-31-2018, 03:48 PM
I think part of what is lost when looking at wonderlic scores is people inability to differentiate between the results and what those results mean to the game of football ...

sure it can be a helpful tool to see how well you can sift through information , that said you first have to know the answers to the questions or you will never sort through it

knowing where a specific state is on the map , what direction a gear travels if driven by gear A or B will not ever help you to know where to go with the football with a single high safety and showing man coverage ...

it will tell you who got good grades in school ( without cheating )

it may give you an indicator of who may or may not be easily led into bad situations

Bradshaw 16 wonderlic - 4 Lombardis
Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 wonderlic - 0 Lombardis

So you're saying it's all about the defense....:lol:

Dwinsgames
03-31-2018, 03:55 PM
So you're saying it's all about the defense....:lol:

well my name , and the steel curtain era of Bradshaw may give some that belief lets not forget that offense has several HoFers on it too Bradshaw , Swann ,Stallworth , Franco , Webster

I suppose one could argue Bradshaw is in because he had great weapons , but the next guy could argue equally well those weapons became household names because of Bradshaw and neither would be wrong ( to me )

Born2Steel
03-31-2018, 04:53 PM
well my name , and the steel curtain era of Bradshaw may give some that belief lets not forget that offense has several HoFers on it too Bradshaw , Swann ,Stallworth , Franco , Webster

I suppose one could argue Bradshaw is in because he had great weapons , but the next guy could argue equally well those weapons became household names because of Bradshaw and neither would be wrong ( to me )

Yes, that is the reference.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2018, 01:02 PM
The test isn't biased at all. You are either well educated or you are not well educated.

Yeah, I don't understand the statements that its culturally biased. So Jeff George, Neil O donnell, Brad Banks, Tee Martin, Brock Berlin, Lamar Jackson all scored 13 or worse on the Wonderlic. Maybe its biased about the culture where athletes don't goto class.

I love the analogy that Bench Press shows you went to the gym and Wonderlic shows you went to class. :chuckle: Its so true and I think just another thing taken into evaluation in a position where playbook study and film study are needed.

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Educated means you went to a set of classes that taught information that the Wonderlic deems useful. Remember this test was developed in the 1930's. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are smart or not smart. Or even tell you much about class attendance in college. For instance, many of the forms of the Wonderlic I have seen or taken have a fair amount of pattern recognition based around fundamental math principles and a familiarity with working with #'s. Well, current college level curriculum can make it possible that a kid is taking the Wonderlic 2-3 years after he last took a math class and they haven't used #'s almost at all in college. Seriously, you all would be shocked at how little math some of these students know - think total inability to calculate percentages. Does that make them stupid? Bad students? Or does it mean that they just didn't ever take a ton of math classes?

IQ tests - which is basically what the Wonderlic is - are testing your ability to retain and deal with a set of information that is deemed to mark "educated" at the time the test is written. If for whatever reason you don't have that set of information in your head - you are going to do fairly poor.

NFL teams are realizing this and are trying to find alternative ways to measure how kids can deal with pressure, process information, and learn new patterns -- https://www.vox.com/2014/5/8/5694518/why-the-nfls-wonderlic-aptitude-test-is-totally-worthless

Remember if you are good enough to play in the NFL, you are not a "student athlete" unless you choose to be. Most times you can get through enough school to get drafted without doing too much. I have worked with some students who are trying to rehab their academics after slipping below the standards at some "Last Chance U". They are all totally capable and mentally clever enough - they are just lacking basic skills because they most likely just got pushed through a system because they could play ball.

All that being said, I would really want to have some serious discussions with Lamar Jackson to better understand his background and the potential reasons/explanations for his lower than desired test scores. Because the scariest thing is that you can study to "game" tests like the Wonderlic. They are relatively predictable in their format and content and you can spend time "cramming" for the info and skills that will allow you to pull of a one time high score without actually "knowing" anything.

So the question is whether it took that for Jackson to even get a 13 or did his lack of a professional and experienced support structure fail to prepare him well?

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 01:46 PM
If anyone cares, "cultural bias" is one of those explosive terms that makes people angry on both sides of the issue. We typically hear it related to standardized testing and issues of curricular design in public schools. Issues that make people very stressed out and passionate.

But think of it this way. Ever know someone that didn't read a lot of books, maybe struggled with anything beyond basic math, and perhaps got low marks in school. But then put them out in the real world and tell them to make things "work" - and they are a superstar? Just seem to instinctively know how to fix things and fashion new ways to do things that are better and faster? In a sense this is rough analogy for cultural bias. Maybe our somewhat imaginary individual didn't come from a household where anyone previously had graduated high school, much less college. There were few books laying around. Libraries were not a thing. Maybe really limited or no computer and internet access (to update things a bit). After grade school, really no family members that could help them with their schoolwork. Heck, maybe no one in the family really considered school important. I could go on - but I think you all can get the point.

Regardless of the specifics in any example/hypothetical, we can easily and readily see a scenario where there is an individual who is smart, capable, clever, and high functioning out in the real world -- but will score low to very low on a standardized test such as a Wonderlic. This is due to them not having a "standard" educational experience/background - which the test is assuming everyone has had. Hence, cultural bias.

Education has become so complex and multi-faceted that it is arguably no longer possible to come up with a "standard" set of courses, concepts, books read, skills learned, etc. that we can use to evaluate intelligence.

Dwinsgames
04-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Educated means you went to a set of classes that taught information that the Wonderlic deems useful. Remember this test was developed in the 1930's. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are smart or not smart. Or even tell you much about class attendance in college. For instance, many of the forms of the Wonderlic I have seen or taken have a fair amount of pattern recognition based around fundamental math principles and a familiarity with working with #'s. Well, current college level curriculum can make it possible that a kid is taking the Wonderlic 2-3 years after he last took a math class and they haven't used #'s almost at all in college. Seriously, you all would be shocked at how little math some of these students know - think total inability to calculate percentages. Does that make them stupid? Bad students? Or does it mean that they just didn't ever take a ton of math classes?

IQ tests - which is basically what the Wonderlic is - are testing your ability to retain and deal with a set of information that is deemed to mark "educated" at the time the test is written. If for whatever reason you don't have that set of information in your head - you are going to do fairly poor.

NFL teams are realizing this and are trying to find alternative ways to measure how kids can deal with pressure, process information, and learn new patterns -- https://www.vox.com/2014/5/8/5694518/why-the-nfls-wonderlic-aptitude-test-is-totally-worthless

Remember if you are good enough to play in the NFL, you are not a "student athlete" unless you choose to be. Most times you can get through enough school to get drafted without doing too much. I have worked with some students who are trying to rehab their academics after slipping below the standards at some "Last Chance U". They are all totally capable and mentally clever enough - they are just lacking basic skills because they most likely just got pushed through a system because they could play ball.

All that being said, I would really want to have some serious discussions with Lamar Jackson to better understand his background and the potential reasons/explanations for his lower than desired test scores. Because the scariest thing is that you can study to "game" tests like the Wonderlic. They are relatively predictable in their format and content and you can spend time "cramming" for the info and skills that will allow you to pull of a one time high score without actually "knowing" anything.

So the question is whether it took that for Jackson to even get a 13 or did his lack of a professional and experienced support structure fail to prepare him well?

while I will not dispute anything you said I would like to add 1 caveat to all of this ...

you mentioned you could study for it ...

I have a lot of contact with prospects ( this year far less than normal but still ) I have interviewed many prospects over the years some still in the league
and the last thing these young men have time for is to study for a test , they are so busy training for combine and pro day events ( because much of it is not something they have ever done before )

they feel they have to test well athletically , the 40 esp. but that is not something football players do so they are training with trainers many hours a day , they are interviewing with the media , with social media people and bloggers
prepping for team interviews with people doing mock interviews on that side of it ....

I have guys talk to me all the time and commit to interviews that I go ahead and send out but they often never find the time to complete and return them ( that is why I have not done jack this year )

I had a kid ask me to do an interview with him this year it started before the season with contact from him via twitter in DM we talked a few times a week we decided that the end of Feb would be the time to shoot for so I got the interview out to him on Feb 24th via email last I heard from him was March 1 but I still have yet to get it back ...this kid has a ton of talent has NFL bloodline ( 3 family members in the league ) he posted daily on twitter but now nothing .... just no time for anything extra

most do not realize how busy these kids lives become at this juncture in their lives ....

so while they MIGHT be able to study for the wonderlic my guess is most simply do not have the time to do so even if they wanted to there is just so much going on

this kid I spoke of ,,, His name is Devron Davis , cousins in the league you have probably heard of Steve Nelson , Vontae Davis , Vernon Davis ..I do not blame Devron he by all accounts is a good stand up kid , but no matter how much preparation / insight of how hectic things will get you never fully understand it until you are part of it ....

by the way I really like him as a late round prospect at Corner and harbor no ill intentions towards him for not holding up his end , I understand , I get it and his name was not put here in order to throw him under the bus in any way shape or form ...

I am still a fan of Devron's

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 02:16 PM
while I will not dispute anything you said I would like to add 1 caveat to all of this ...

you mentioned you could study for it ...

I have a lot of contact with prospects ( this year far less than normal but still ) I have interviewed many prospects over the years some still in the league
and the last thing these young men have time for is to study for a test , they are so busy training for combine and pro day events ( because much of it is not something they have ever done before )

they feel they have to test well athletically , the 40 esp. but that is not something football players do so they are training with trainers many hours a day , they are interviewing with the media , with social media people and bloggers
prepping for team interviews with people doing mock interviews on that side of it ....

I have guys talk to me all the time and commit to interviews that I go ahead and send out but they often never find the time to complete and return them ( that is why I have not done jack this year )

I had a kid ask me to do an interview with him this year it started before the season with contact from him via twitter in DM we talked a few times a week we decided that the end of Feb would be the time to shoot for so I got the interview out to him on Feb 24th via email last I heard from him was March 1 but I still have yet to get it back ...this kid has a ton of talent has NFL bloodline ( 3 family members in the league ) he posted daily on twitter but now nothing .... just no time for anything extra

most do not realize how busy these kids lives become at this juncture in their lives ....

so while they MIGHT be able to study for the wonderlic my guess is most simply do not have the time to do so even if they wanted to there is just so much going on

this kid I spoke of ,,, His name is Devron Davis , cousins in the league you have probably heard of Steve Nelson , Vontae Davis , Vernon Davis ..I do not blame Devron he by all accounts is a good stand up kid , but no matter how much preparation / insight of how hectic things will get you never fully understand it until you are part of it ....

by the way I really like him as a late round prospect at Corner and harbor no ill intentions towards him for not holding up his end , I understand , I get it and his name was not put here in order to throw him under the bus in any way shape or form ...

I am still a fan of Devron's

I hadn't really accounted for that. Excellent point. Even more reason that Wonderlic scores may be only marginally useful in the overall pre-draft process? Plus no matter how important or not important each player decides school is to them -- they are still taking on the grind of a full college semester.

Dwinsgames
04-01-2018, 02:25 PM
I hadn't really accounted for that. Excellent point. Even more reason that Wonderlic scores may be only marginally useful in the overall pre-draft process? Plus no matter how important or not important each player decides school is to them -- they are still taking on the grind of a full college semester.

I didn't even mention , finding an agency to properly represent them , a place to live because you now have to move out of your college dorm / frat house / apartment

hello real world can be a pretty big smack in the face and eye opener

Craic
04-01-2018, 02:30 PM
When it comes to testing, "cultural bias" means those who were educated or trained in a specific culture has a better chance of succeeding in a test because the test is testing for cultural knowledge rather than actual intellect (my definition). For instance, how would you (the reader) fair in a test that asked, "what is the largest province in Russia?" I wouldn't know because I didn't grow up there, so a test in Russia asking that question is culturally biased towards Russian culture. There is a great difference between intellect and knowledge.

So, rather than saying "culturally unbiased" it might be better to speak of knowledge tests vs. intelligence tests. Knowledge tests, then, test information. Intelligence tests test processing and pattern recognition.

Here is an example (https://www.queendom.com/queendom_tests/transfer) of such a test.

Craic
04-01-2018, 04:31 PM

If a US citizen doesn't know where each state lies on a map then he needs to go back to elementary school.

IMO, the Wonderlic test is similar to the bench press. The bench press is an indicator of how much time was spent in the gym. The Wonderlic is an indicator of how much time was spent in class.

Sadly, that's not true. The test also incorporates things such as word definitions. Language is at the heart of any culture, and subcultures are most easily noticed by different elements of language. Having to decide whether the words doupioni and tulle are synonyms, antonyms, or have no relation is very much based on culture. If you're not in the right culture, you're not going to come across those words. If you're a part of an oral culture that stresses linguistic repetition rather than individual expression, you're never going to come across such words.

I'd rather have a test that truly tested intelligence rather than a test that tested knowledge. Stupid people can have a ton of knowledge. It does them no good if they don't have the intellect to apply it. It reminds me of a girl I knew in college. She aced almost everything because she could memorize and recalled anything almost instantaneously. However, when she was asked to process the information, she was completely lost. (Which is why I'd rather use essays that force students to process information rather than test a baseline knowledge) This woman could almost ace a Wonderlic, but she'd bomb a true intelligence test.

That's the difference and the reason knowledge tests (aka culturally biased tests) are not good measurements of intelligence.

Mojouw
04-01-2018, 04:49 PM
When it comes to testing, "cultural bias" means those who were educated or trained in a specific culture has a better chance of succeeding in a test because the test is testing for cultural knowledge rather than actual intellect (my definition). For instance, how would you (the reader) fair in a test that asked, "what is the largest province in Russia?" I wouldn't know because I didn't grow up there, so a test in Russia asking that question is culturally biased towards Russian culture. There is a great difference between intellect and knowledge.

So, rather than saying "culturally unbiased" it might be better to speak of knowledge tests vs. intelligence tests. Knowledge tests, then, test information. Intelligence tests test processing and pattern recognition.

Here is an example (https://www.queendom.com/queendom_tests/transfer) of such a test.

That was hard and I did not do well.

Dwinsgames
04-01-2018, 04:59 PM

with this head cold ( head feels like a tire rated at 32 pounds of pressure inflated to 60 ) I won't even attempt it

ALLD
04-01-2018, 05:01 PM
The higher the score the better the chance of QB success relatively speaking. I would not risk resources in a QB with a score of 13, but maybe an OL.

Craic
04-01-2018, 05:42 PM

I scored "Your performance on the test was quite good - you scored above the average." However, these tests also carry a little bias in that people who work with patterns or train themselves to do so will score higher. Since my dissertation is based on seeing patterns in literature, well . . . That and I've messed with these types of tests before. On the other hand, they're much fairer than some other tests where my ADHD really kicks in and hinders me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2018, 11:32 PM
The higher the score the better the chance of QB success relatively speaking. I would not risk resources in a QB with a score of 13, but maybe an OL.

O line I believe is the position that has the 2nd highest wonderlic average. Lots more thinking and decision making done on the O line than people think. D-line is more of a place where the Warren Sapp's of the world can excel, despite spelling Cat with a K.

teegre
04-02-2018, 12:33 AM
the Warren Sapp's of the world can excel, despite spelling Cat with a K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cYS6aGstU&app=desktop

EzraTank
04-02-2018, 10:39 AM

What? I'm sorry but if you're a grown adult and you can't identify a state on the West coast I would question your intelligence as well. Now if the kid was from another nation maybe I give them a pass but if you were born and raised here ...

I'm not saying you have to score a 48 on the test like Fitzpatrick, but I'd at least look for average or slightly below.

Frank Gore scored a 6, but his job isn't complicated. Block guy running at your QB or take ball and run where big guys are not.

Craic
04-02-2018, 01:13 PM
What? I'm sorry but if you're a grown adult and you can't identify a state on the West coast I would question your intelligence as well. Now if the kid was from another nation maybe I give them a pass but if you were born and raised here ...

I'm not saying you have to score a 48 on the test like Fitzpatrick, but I'd at least look for average or slightly below.

Frank Gore scored a 6, but his job isn't complicated. Block guy running at your QB or take ball and run where big guys are not.
The fact that you recognize a kid from another nation would not know the answer or is more likely not to know proves the point the test is a knowledge test rather than an intelligence test. As such, it IS culturally biased. And because it that, the wonderlic test really doesn't make sense as an NFL measuring tool. If people are really concerned, use something that bypasses knowledge and tests the intelligence instead.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2018, 01:58 PM
The fact that you recognize a kid from another nation would not know the answer or is more likely not to know proves the point the test is a knowledge test rather than an intelligence test. As such, it IS culturally biased. And because it that, the wonderlic test really doesn't make sense as an NFL measuring tool. If people are really concerned, use something that bypasses knowledge and tests the intelligence instead.

perhaps the test should be on more level ground ...

based it entirely on the game of football , its rules , its formations , player responsibilities within those roles ...

I mean they do not give you a wonderlic before getting a drivers license they give you a test based upon driving and responsibilities of a driver and there is a pass fail built into the test .

lets be honest their are people who are not particularly bright but do have " football smarts"

a linguistics major probably will not score incredibly well on a math test and a math major probably will not do well being tested on the French revolution that makes neither of them dumb it just makes them not suited well to take work in one field or the other ..

the wonderlic has about as much to do with football as a drivers test has to do with the french revolution

I do not care ( nor should care ) if you can build a rocket but I do care if you have a rocket of an arm if you know what to do with it /when /where and to whom as it pertains to football because after all that is the game you are being evaluated to play

Craic
04-02-2018, 04:47 PM

based it entirely on the game of football , its rules , its formations , player responsibilities within those roles ...

See, now that makes sense. Is it culturally biased still? Yes. However, it's set within the very culture in which players are about to take part, so it would be a very good indicator whether they could succeed at that level. You can still throw in logic games because they're necessary. "This series of hand signals means A, This series means B, this series means C, this series means D, etc. through, say, M (some series counter others while other series work together). Before the snap, the Defensive coach signals in the following manner. What is he asking for?

ALLD
04-02-2018, 05:31 PM
It is rumored on the test the extra credit question is to interpret the Catch Rule.

teegre
04-03-2018, 03:01 PM

I mean they do not give you a wonderlic before getting a drivers license they give you a test based upon driving and responsibilities of a driver and there is a pass fail built into the test .

lets be honest their are people who are not particularly bright but do have " football smarts"

a linguistics major probably will not score incredibly well on a math test and a math major probably will not do well being tested on the French revolution that makes neither of them dumb it just makes them not suited well to take work in one field or the other ..

the wonderlic has about as much to do with football as a drivers test has to do with the french revolution

I do not care ( nor should care ) if you can build a rocket but I do care if you have a rocket of an arm if you know what to do with it /when /where and to whom as it pertains to football because after all that is the game you are being evaluated to play

Bingo!!!

I don’t need my doctor to have passed the Bar Exam...