PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Diving the rest of FA

Mojouw
03-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Clearly it is the bargain bin time in free agency and the Steelers still have a few holes to patch prior to the draft. Trying to both think like Colbert and also go my own way; here are some ideas.

1. WR - need another one on the roster before the draft. A few options jump to mind:

Brice Butler. 28 years old. Can fly. Did good things whenever Dallas remembered to get him the ball. In Steelers offense he could put up big #'s. Unclear that he would be willing to sign on to be a 4th WR.
Jeremy Maclin. Sure he may not be what he once was, but still. I figure 75% of prime Maclin is better than a ton of other guys still out there. Pitch him with the chance to go to the playoffs and stick it to the Ravens twice.
Marcus Wheaton - stranger things have happened. If he could stay healthy he isn't the worst 4th WR out there.
Jordan Matthews - still somehow just 25 years old! Maybe this is the next Steelers WR reclamation project?
Jeff Janis - 26 year old who could also be worth a minimal investment to see what he can do.
Eli Rodgers - the obvious choice. LEt him hang out until camp and then bring him in...

2. Linebacker - depth both outside and inside is dodgy at best.

Gerald Hodges - bounced around the league and is likely only a 2 down backer. BUt he can tackle and defend the run.

I'm sure there other proposals. Maybe along either line? At RB? But thought I would get the ball rolling.

BlackAndGold
03-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I'd like them to bring back Eli Rogers if he has recovered from the ACL injury. Solid slot WR, punt returner(Do not want AB returning punts again).

Maclin as a #4 WR would be pretty interesting.

86WARD
03-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Eli Rogers, Brice Butler or Jeff Janis would be my picks out of that WR grouping. Rogers is Rogers. I still think the guy has flashes of AB in him when he gets the ball in his hands and has room to move. Butler did a lot of nice things in Dallas, but he never really got a chance to shine. If I signed Janis, it would be to replace DHB as the 5th WR and special teams returner. Janis could solve the kick return problems the Steelers have been suffering through for the last umpteen years...

I think they are good at RB at the moment but I’d take a team friendly flier on Eddie Lacy or Thomas Rawls as short yardage backs in hopes that they stay healthy and in shape.

Shoes
03-23-2018, 06:58 PM
I'd be fine with Jeff Janis or Rodgers.

Dwinsgames
03-23-2018, 09:53 PM
I have nothing against any of them really ( at the right price )

I am most certainly in the minority but I like Jordan Mathews as a role player , he isnt going to be a guy who gets big chunks ( for whatever reason because he isnt " slow " 4.46 ) but he has good hands and can get you those TE kind of yards so in a niche role I would be fine with him but it would have to be on the cheap because a lot of guys can do what he does ..never less than 800 yards in a season until he went to the Bills for 2017 so as a 4th WR he would be unbelievable IMO

Psycho Ward 86
03-24-2018, 03:44 PM

I am most certainly in the minority but I like Jordan Mathews as a role player , he isnt going to be a guy who gets big chunks ( for whatever reason because he isnt " slow " 4.46 ) but he has good hands and can get you those TE kind of yards so in a niche role I would be fine with him but it would have to be on the cheap because a lot of guys can do what he does ..never less than 800 yards in a season until he went to the Bills for 2017 so as a 4th WR he would be unbelievable IMO

Hes a slot receiver. With Rogers hurt it gives us depth where we dont have it. Inversely, opens up more opportunities for Juju to play outside perhaps? But also takes Martavis off the field, who i think im not alone in believing he'll have a big year.

Matthews would have to be really dumb to sign here, but id be down to see him be that dumb

Born2Steel
03-25-2018, 01:16 AM
Jordan Matthews averages almost 12 yards per catch. He's definitely worth a look, IMO.

86WARD
03-25-2018, 12:02 PM

I don't know if you watched Matthews at all when he was in Philly, but he was GOD AWFUL. His hands are actually pretty terrible. He was consistently dropping the ball in critical conditions and he was terrible at running routes. His real drop percentage is up around 10%. He's one of those players that just has the "stink gene" on him. So much potential and it just never showed.

I'd take Mike Wallace's hands back before I signed Matthews.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-25-2018, 12:40 PM
I don't know if you watched Matthews at all when he was in Philly, but he was GOD AWFUL. His hands are actually pretty terrible. He was consistently dropping the ball in critical conditions and he was terrible at running routes. His real drop percentage is up around 10%. He's one of those players that just has the "stink gene" on him. So much potential and it just never showed.

I'd take Mike Wallace's hands back before I signed Matthews. Yep and why he is not still a Eagle and shame he has the physical tools. I personally think Steelers draft their 4th wr in 3rd or 4th rd and go with him

86WARD
03-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Yep and why he is not still a Eagle and shame he has the physical tools. I personally think Steelers draft their 4th wr in 3rd or 4th rd and go with him

The Eagles were dying to find a receiver at that time. They thought he was it but far from it.

I agree though, I think the Steeers draft a guy and then pending how Rogers is healthwise, I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed him back.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-25-2018, 07:16 PM
The Eagles were dying to find a receiver at that time. They thought he was it but far from it.

I agree though, I think the Steeers draft a guy and then pending how Rogers is healthwise, I wouldn’t be surprised if they signed him back. I wouldn't mind Rogers back at all but someone has to take his place till he is healthy and why I think they use the draft to do that.

teegre
03-26-2018, 09:15 AM
I had Jordan Matthews on my fantasy team his first two seasons. He has some production value: 8 TDs in each of those two seasons (with a crappy QB).

Could be a good signing if he could regain even half of that type of production (4 TDs from your 4th receiver is prettty good, actually.)

BlackAndGold
03-27-2018, 10:59 AM

stillers4me
04-03-2018, 11:41 AM