PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to sign former Packers safety Morgan Burnett

BlackAndGold
03-20-2018, 12:19 AM

BlackAndGold
03-20-2018, 12:44 AM
Will be interesting to see what the contract will look like.

Setting up for this guy(pic below) to be be the first pick??

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/633/433/hi-res-d7cd3d745655506551706445588f726c_crop_north.jpg?14 76862098&w=630&h=420

teegre
03-20-2018, 05:40 AM
Wow!!! I had given up hope on Burnett (I thought that he’d be too pricey).

mojoUW and PsychoWard both have this guy the nod... good signing.

(And, yes, it now makes Mason Rudolph the front-runner at 28.)

86WARD
03-20-2018, 05:45 AM
This would be a great signing. Burnett is probably the best all around free agent safety that hit the market this year.

pczach
03-20-2018, 06:04 AM
Wow! A great signing!

Just when we thought nothing big was going to happen.

They just filled a position of need with a high quality player.

I approve this message!:thumbsup:

LLT
03-20-2018, 06:17 AM
This is a homerun for the Steelers. If they get Burnett... it ultimately upgrades us at both safety positions . He is light years better than Mitchell...and his experience and leadership will make Sean Davis a better player.

43Hitman
03-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Very excited by this signing! :tt02: Maybe QB is the target for the first round after all?

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2018, 06:25 AM
Perfect signing. Way to go! (assuming it really happens). Depth piece for the rest of FA and we'll be fine

tube517
03-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Fits with the type and age of the free agents they sign.

I still want to see a safety in the draft.

SteelerFanInStl
03-20-2018, 07:42 AM
This is a homerun for the Steelers. If they get Burnett... it ultimately upgrades us at both safety positions . He is light years better than Mitchell...and his experience and leadership will make Sean Davis a better player.

Agreed. I really like this signing. Burnett is a big upgrade over Mitchell.

tube517
03-20-2018, 07:43 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/film-room-morgan-burnett-offers-steelers-plenty-of-flexibility/

Alex's breakdown

stillers4me
03-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Look at Cam's twitter reaction... :lol:

stillers4me
03-20-2018, 08:14 AM
And Binces' response... :rofl:

86WARD
03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Very excited by this signing! :tt02: Maybe QB is the target for the first round after all?

Best Available. RB?

teegre
03-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Best Available. RB?

Even before all of these signings, one of the men mock draft guys (Rob Rang maybe) suggested that the Steelers would “absolutely” take Derrius Guice if he’s there at 28.

That is a huge amount of “confidence” in a pick...

Shoes
03-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Very nice!

86WARD
03-20-2018, 09:52 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/film-room-morgan-burnett-offers-steelers-plenty-of-flexibility/

Alex's breakdown

That’s probably Alex’s best work there.

DesertSteel
03-20-2018, 10:31 AM
(And, yes, it now makes Mason Rudolph the front-runner at 28.)
Can't see it! Perhaps Guice.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Nice! Burnett was a guy that I hoped the Steelers might draft out of GA Tech to plan for the replacement of Ryan Clark. He is a bit late, but still happy to have him in B&G and its a big upgrade over the last guy wearing #23.

86WARD
03-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Where’s the official announcement??

Iron Steeler
03-20-2018, 11:19 AM
This would be a great signing. Burnett is probably the best all around free agent safety that hit the market this year.

Better then the Honey Badger?

steelerdude15
03-20-2018, 11:26 AM
After being excited when we signed Mike Mitchell back in 2014 and how he turned out, I'm going to reserve any excitement I have until I see Burnett play as a Steeler.

If he can cover a tight end or a running back and actually be able to tackle someone, I'll be happy with this signing.

Iron Steeler
03-20-2018, 11:32 AM
I am very Mehh... About this deal.

Morgan Burnett is 29 years old and has lingering injuries. When we got Mike Mitchell in 2014 at least he was 26 and on the tail end of his prime. I feel like we are getting a guy past his prime and has a HIGH football IQ.

To me this is just a bridge gap signing, and we go after a Safety in the draft.

Nothing about this signing makes me feel " Yes now teams will think twice about throwing it deep on us"

Just being honest... hopefully he proves me wrong.

steelerdude15
03-20-2018, 11:40 AM
I am very Mehh... About this deal.

Morgan Burnett is 29 years old and has lingering injuries. When we got Mike Mitchell in 2014 at least he was 26 and on the tail end of his prime. I feel like we are getting a guy past his prime and has a HIGH football IQ.

To me this is just a bridge gap signing, and we go after a Safety in the draft.

Nothing about this signing makes me feel " Yes now teams will think twice about throwing it deep on us"

Just being honest... hopefully he proves me wrong.

You're right about the injuries. He hasn't played a full season since 2012. That would be an issue since we don't have any good quality depth to take his place.

I think with or without the signing, the Steelers still draft a safety somewhere in the first few rounds of the draft.

I wonder if part of the reason why he was brought in was to help mentor Sean and other safeties on the team.

st33lersguy
03-20-2018, 11:43 AM
On paper, this is what the Steelers need, hopefully this move pans out.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right about the injuries. He hasn't played a full season since 2012. That would be an issue since we don't have any good quality depth to take his place.

I think with or without the signing, the Steelers still draft a safety somewhere in the first few rounds of the draft.

I wonder if part of the reason why he was brought in was to help mentor Sean and other safeties on the team.

Especially since They headed into the off-season needing more than one safety.

Mojouw
03-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Couple of thoughts and mostly Alex's film breakdown over at Steelers Depot already mentioned all of them.

1. Burnett is great at what Burnett is great at. But it certainly isn't sitting idly by in the deep third of the field playing last line of defense. It is attacking a specific aspect of the offense on a given play - whether that being coming downhill against the run or taking away a RB, TE, or slot WR in the passing game.

2. He is already going to know most of the defense - or at least a great deal of it. They do a ton of the same things as the Steelers in Green Bay. Worked under Capers.

3. Still not sure who plays FS.

Overall, if true, this is a great signing.

steelreserve
03-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Well, we still need a safety and an ILB in the draft, that doesn't change. But I still feel better with an established player starting at S this year than throwing a rookie into the fire. Linebacker you can get by at while on the learning curve. DB is pretty risky.

Don't think this changes our draft plans much, but I do think it was the right move in the short term if trying to win now.

EzraTank
03-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Why would we be taking a QB/RB in the first round? We need someone to replace Shazier. Bell is going to be here at least one more year like it or not. If Rashaan Evans is there you have to take him.

Born2Steel
03-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Why would we be taking a QB/RB in the first round? We need someone to replace Shazier. Bell is going to be here at least one more year like it or not. If Rashaan Evans is there you have to take him.

Valid point. I think this signing opens up first round options a bit more. If another Shazier falls to 28 that could very well be the pick. Safety could still be the pick. QB is ALWAYS in play. RB is a definite need too considering this is most likely Bell's last season, Conner is already coming off knee surgery after a 32 carry season, and Toussaint is the 3rd back as of today. Simply cannot lock yourself into one position, and certainly not one player.

- - - Updated - - -

Today's news says he's flying out tomorrow to sign. Guess anything can still happen so not official until it's official.

86WARD
03-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Better then the Honey Badger?

At this point yes. Not sure Honey Badger has fully recovered from his ACL. If he has, then Honey Badger is the better player. Both guys have had their fair share of injuries...

Mojouw
03-20-2018, 12:32 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/2/9/16995662/packers-2018-free-agents-what-is-morgan-burnetts-value-and-role

Decent overview of Burnett.

Does anyone have anything that says this is happening besides just repeats of ONE tweet by some random dude?

I mean before we all hyperventilate and start dreaming up draft day scenarios -- lets confirm Burnett is signing...

Also, what other move is being made to free up the 6-10 million dollars it is going to take to get this done?

I'm starting to talk myself into this being purely internet speculation. Heck, half the coaching staff isn't even in Pittsburgh today!

tube517
03-20-2018, 12:58 PM
3 years, 14.5 million, cheaper than Mitchell.

Mojouw
03-20-2018, 01:01 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/report-s-morgan-burnett-to-sign-3-year-contract-with-steelers-worth-around-14-5-million/

What?! That can not possibly be correct. Burnett is signing for less money than he was making last season? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/morgan-burnett-6579/

At this rate, Mike Mitchell is going to have to pay someone to have him play in 2018.

Also, how can you pay Burnett $4.5 million and Wilcox $3.8 million? No way Wilcox stays at that cap #.

SteelMember
03-20-2018, 01:19 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/2/9/16995662/packers-2018-free-agents-what-is-morgan-burnetts-value-and-role

Decent overview of Burnett.

Does anyone have anything that says this is happening besides just repeats of ONE tweet by some random dude?

I mean before we all hyperventilate and start dreaming up draft day scenarios -- lets confirm Burnett is signing...

Also, what other move is being made to free up the 6-10 million dollars it is going to take to get this done?

I'm starting to talk myself into this being purely internet speculation. Heck, half the coaching staff isn't even in Pittsburgh today!

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-sign-Burnett/d6143373-d475-4600-b1a4-56093cee9dfc

Steeldude
03-20-2018, 01:22 PM
The Steelers could be drafting an OLB in the first round.

Mojouw
03-20-2018, 01:25 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-4/Steelers-sign-Burnett/d6143373-d475-4600-b1a4-56093cee9dfc

Honestly, I am absolutely stunned. Burnett was asking for over $8 million per as recently as the combine according to Packers reports in the Wisco area. And most observers were convinced that he would easily obtain that on the open market.

Now he is a Steeler for half of that? Incredible.

How do the Rams feel about that $11+ million tag on Joyner now?

So far the story of the 2018 Free Agency cycle is the ludicrous WR values and the total cratering of the safety market.

SteelMember
03-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Honestly, I am absolutely stunned. Burnett was asking for over $8 million per as recently as the combine according to Packers reports in the Wisco area. And most observers were convinced that he would easily obtain that on the open market.

So far the story of the 2018 Free Agency cycle is the ludicrous WR values and the total cratering of the safety market.

I really thought he'd price himself above our number, but glad to see him here. Sure, so he's 29, but that isn't as bad as it necessarily sounds... only a 3 year deal for a reasonable number. Most of which looks to be in the 1st two years.

steelreserve
03-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Free agency has been really weird this year. Seems like there were only a few of the big-name, big-money deals at the outset, and everyone's taking their time. Guys who would normally be gone in the first day or two are still there a week later. Teams with tons of cap space still haven't spent it all. Everything's moving in slow motion.

The safety thing is a nice surprise for us, but I guess not totally surprising in hindsight - unusually high amount of talent on the market, more sellers than buyers, it looks like.

BlackAndGold
03-20-2018, 01:45 PM
The Steelers could be drafting an OLB in the first round.

Would be very unlikely. They took one last year.

FrancoLambert
03-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Another one of Colbert's specialties: FA signings that are unspectacular yet solid.

BlackAndGold
03-20-2018, 01:49 PM
This signing still doesn't change the draft plan. A ILB, and safety will be taken in the first three rounds. It just adds flexibility for the #28th overall pick, which still could be a safety.

Mojouw
03-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Free agency has been really weird this year. Seems like there were only a few of the big-name, big-money deals at the outset, and everyone's taking their time. Guys who would normally be gone in the first day or two are still there a week later. Teams with tons of cap space still haven't spent it all. Everything's moving in slow motion.

The safety thing is a nice surprise for us, but I guess not totally surprising in hindsight - unusually high amount of talent on the market, more sellers than buyers, it looks like.

Just can't get over a guy like Donte Moncrief getting $10 million or so guaranteed and Burnett doesn't even get a raise? I mean I know he had a "down" year but he spent most of 2017 being an emergency injury band-aid for a desperate Packers team.

stillers4me
03-20-2018, 02:17 PM

43Hitman
03-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Best Available. RB?
I'm hoping that we stick with the usual draft day game plan, picking the BPA. I'm just a bit nervous with how much attention they have been giving QB's this off-season that they may get enamored with a guy and pick him too early.

Craic
03-20-2018, 03:07 PM
As much as I'd like to see us get a QB and then let him develop for a year or two, I have to agree with 43 here. We still have first or second round needs at safety, ILB, and TE. Of course, whether someone is there and worth the pick is a different story.

tube517
03-20-2018, 03:09 PM
He's friends w/Cam Sutton and played under Cam's brother in high school.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2018/03/steelers_morgan_burnett_sutton.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2018, 03:20 PM
3 years, 14.5 million, cheaper than Mitchell.

Mitchell did a good job of talking big and stealing money at FS. Good on him for getting paid, but I think if you look up his career he did a solid job of making a big living off one good season in Carolina. Glad to have Burnett in the secondary along with Haden. When you consider the young guys like Burns, Sutton, Hilton, Davis....its got a real mix of young talent and proven veteran playmakers.

Next up is improve the ILB spot.

Six Rings
03-20-2018, 04:14 PM
An upgrade over Mitchell at the right price. Well done.

86WARD
03-20-2018, 04:42 PM

The $7M that Honey Badger got screwed that up for the safeties. He was the Anti-Bell!!!

SteelerFanInStl
03-20-2018, 04:55 PM
It sounds to me like Burnett really wanted to play for the Steelers and that's great to hear. Seeing the contract that he was given, this signing was a HR. We still need a safety in the draft but this gives him time to develop.

pczach
03-20-2018, 05:03 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/report-s-morgan-burnett-to-sign-3-year-contract-with-steelers-worth-around-14-5-million/

What?! That can not possibly be correct. Burnett is signing for less money than he was making last season? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/morgan-burnett-6579/

At this rate, Mike Mitchell is going to have to pay someone to have him play in 2018.

Also, how can you pay Burnett $4.5 million and Wilcox $3.8 million? No way Wilcox stays at that cap #.

That figure is a steal for Burnett. He had to take less money to get to a winner and a chance to win. That gets me even more pumped up about this guy.

Everyone is assuming that they are going to draft a safety early....and they may, but there may be other plans at work.

I started a thread posting the article Bob Labriola wrote about the cornerback position. He said in the article that Cam Sutton is someone the team is looking at to possibly move to safety. He also said the Brian Allen probably won't be moving to S. The team really likes him as a player, and they project him as an outside CB that they think may push for a starting CB position at some point if he continues to develop. Interesting stuff that gives us some clues about how they may use the talent already on the team and the S position. That's why I posted the article. Here's the link if you want to check it out. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/28608-Steelers-by-Position-Cornerbacks

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2018, 05:37 PM
After being excited when we signed Mike Mitchell back in 2014 and how he turned out, I'm going to reserve any excitement I have until I see Burnett play as a Steeler.

If he can cover a tight end or a running back and actually be able to tackle someone, I'll be happy with this signing.

You must be new to the Morgan Burnett show :)

This signing cant be understated. if Burnett stays healthy and maintains his body of work from his career with the packers, he'll be one of Colbert's finest. The Mitchell comparisons make me laugh. Mitchell was the beneficiary of some great front 7's in Carolina. Burnett was consistently one of the few bright spots on Dom Capers' defense. Strangely enough, the Packers have been letting a lot of their 2ndary talent walk away the past few seasons and regretted the hell out of it everytime. This will be no different.

We're getting one of the better and more versatile safeties in the league. This signing pretty much cements Davis' shift towards free safety. Burnett can play there too, but his great talents in the box, and lined up as a cornerback, LB, QB spy would all be wasted if he played full time deep down the field.

Btw do people realize Burnett wanted about $8.5 million dollars per season around the time of the combine? STEAL

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Steelers sign S Morgan Burnett (3 years, $14.5 million): A+ Grade

As is usually the case, one of the smarter teams in the NFL waited until the second week of free agency to acquire a talented player at a very cheap rate. The Steelers did this with Morgan Burnett in what was one of the best moves in the new league year thus far.

Safety was Pittsburgh's top need (excluding inside linebacker) heading into the offseason. That's no longer the case in the wake of the Burnett signing. Burnett, 29, was outstanding for the Packers for most of his career. He had a bit of a down season in 2017 because of injuries, but he's young enough to have a bounce-back campaign. Assuming this happens, Burnett will offer the Steelers a huge upgrade at safety at a big-time bargain price.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

GBMelBlount
03-20-2018, 06:47 PM
So do we have any more room for another quality FA signing or are we tapped out with regard to picking up additional players of this caliber?

Steeldude
03-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Would be very unlikely. They took one last year.

And they need another one opposite Watt. It depends on who is available.

Born2Steel
03-20-2018, 07:47 PM

Depends on what you're looking for in an OLB opposite Watt. Not to try and derail a thread here, but we have had discussions about the role of OLB in other threads. A pure pass rusher edge player is no longer a 1st round type player anymore.

Morgan Burnett is one of those FA signings that just makes you fist bump the air. No way is this a bad thing. I disagree to a small extent the assumption that Davis now goes to FS. True Burnett is now the SS, but we usually play more of a 2 SS type defense. We could see a set with our DL, VW and Bostic letting no RB have between the tackles, and Watt, Dupree, Burnett, and Davis making sure no run goes outside. This run defense just got a lot better, IMO.

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Tim Benz: Patience brings Steelers steal at safety

TIM BENZ | Tuesday, March 20, 2018

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/13439354-74/story

BlackAndGold
03-20-2018, 09:10 PM

They have one in Bud Dupree who the coaches are happy with.

steelreserve
03-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Not that happy, or they probably would've picked up his option for 2019.

We do need someone at OLB, but I disagree that it has to be a first-round, highlight-reel player. Just a guy who does half the things an OLB does really well and is ok at the others. That kind of guy is good for 8 or so sacks when the DL and the other OLB are good, and the secondary is not a sieve.

Dupree, on the other hand, just does not get it at the NFL level and probably never will. He was "raw talent, needs work" when he was drafted and that's still what he is, plus a few injuries piling up. I'm not counting on a damn thing out of him.

BlackAndGold
03-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Not that happy, or they probably would've picked up his option for 2019.

They usually pick up 5th year options sometime in April.

Steeldude
03-21-2018, 12:44 AM

Haha. Dupree is a bust.

steelreserve
03-21-2018, 10:24 AM
They usually pick up 5th year options sometime in April.

Well, let's hope they don't.

Dwinsgames
03-21-2018, 10:44 AM
when healthy Burnett is just about all anyone could want / expect from a starting FS ....key words when healthy ...

hopefully he can stay healthy here ...

this should buy us a couple year of stability in the back end ( its as if they are trying to give ben what he needs to carry him through his window )

in Typical Colbert fashion we head into the draft with no MUST select pos. I would still like to see ILB if the right guy is on the board in round 1 ....

must be a solid run stopper and have good to great range with the ability to be a difference maker in the passing game .... those guys do not grow on trees and if anyone is expecting Ryan Shazier 2.0 I am not sure this draft class offers that prospect but there are a couple guys that may be able to fill the role to a large degree ..... question is will they linger 27 picks and be there at 28 ?

IDK .........

Lets pretend there is not worth ILB at 28 that fits the model we need ...( good chance that is a reality )

then what ? in no particular order

RB .... Bell clearly in his last year here ( will he even be on the field the first month ? )

QB .... Bens career is close to over do they go after his eventual replacement a year early ?

OLB.... Dupree has shown next to nothing ( other than hype ) and I believe next year he will be a FA ( could be wrong as I didnt check )

CB ... Burns hasnt set the world on fire and they could be close to giving up on him ever being the guy they expected to be drafting

any of these could be ( as I see it ) potential targets this could be the best opportunity for Colbert to walk away with a difference maker kind of player when the need is not driving the Bus in any one area much more than several others

will make it tough to mock for sure and the Steelers could be a wild card in this draft even being down a couple of picks

Rotorhead
03-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Lets pretend there is not worth ILB at 28 that fits the model we need ...( good chance that is a reality )

RB .... Bell clearly in his last year here ( will he even be on the field the first month ? )

QB .... Bens career is close to over do they go after his eventual replacement a year early ?

OLB.... Dupree has shown next to nothing ( other than hype ) and I believe next year he will be a FA ( could be wrong as I didnt check )

CB ... Burns hasnt set the world on fire and they could be close to giving up on him ever being the guy they expected to be drafting

any of these could be ( as I see it ) potential targets this could be the best opportunity for Colbert to walk away with a difference maker kind of player when the need is not driving the Bus in any one area much more than several others

will make it tough to mock for sure and the Steelers could be a wild card in this draft even being down a couple of picks

I think it needs to be OLB, Dupree not being able to set the edge killed us last year, he gets little to no pressure when needed and is just ok in coverage. After that we need depth at ILB and S. I am not so worried about losing Bell, he is good (borderline great) but I think we can replace his running pretty easily honestly. We are stacked enough at WR that we can replace his WR ability that way. I am willing to bank it all for the next season or 2 with Ben to get a championship before we need to rebuild for a couple seasons.

FrancoLambert
03-21-2018, 11:07 AM
when healthy Burnett is just about all anyone could want / expect from a starting FS ....key words when healthy ...

hopefully he can stay healthy here ...

this should buy us a couple year of stability in the back end ( its as if they are trying to give ben what he needs to carry him through his window )

in Typical Colbert fashion we head into the draft with no MUST select pos. I would still like to see ILB if the right guy is on the board in round 1 ....

must be a solid run stopper and have good to great range with the ability to be a difference maker in the passing game .... those guys do not grow on trees and if anyone is expecting Ryan Shazier 2.0 I am not sure this draft class offers that prospect but there are a couple guys that may be able to fill the role to a large degree ..... question is will they linger 27 picks and be there at 28 ?

IDK .........

Before the signings of Bostic and Burnett, ILB and S were the primary targets IMO. I'll go with your premise that they do not have a first round grade on an ILB or S when it's their turn to pick.

Now, I'd lean to picking a RB, this year's group seems pretty deep.... but, ONLY if they have a first round grade for that player.

If not, go BPA at any position.

Bell's gone after this year and I don't want to sort between Conner, Touissant, and whomever to find my RB that can impact a game.

Dwinsgames
03-21-2018, 11:09 AM
I think it needs to be OLB, Dupree not being able to set the edge killed us last year, he gets little to no pressure when needed and is just ok in coverage. After that we need depth at ILB and S. I am not so worried about losing Bell, he is good (borderline great) but I think we can replace his running pretty easily honestly. We are stacked enough at WR that we can replace his WR ability that way. I am willing to bank it all for the next season or 2 with Ben to get a championship before we need to rebuild for a couple seasons.

you might be right .... that is the beauty of this draft and the way the team has set itself up to this point .... they have the ability to go in several different directions in the first two rounds and not be out of line in doing so giving hem the chance to get BPA and that piece help the team

Mojouw
03-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Actually, it didn't. If anything it was TJ Watt's performance in the run game coupled with Artie Burns' missed tackles.

From this article: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

This second table lists each team's Adjusted Line Yards in each direction listed in official NFL play-by-play, along with rank among the 32 teams. Only five directions are listed because research so far shows no statistically significant difference between how well a team performs on runs listed middle, left guard, and right guard. These runs are from the perspective of the OFFENSE, so a run listed as LEFT TACKLE is actually at the RIGHT defensive end.

LEFT END
LEFT TACKLE
MID/GUARD
RIGHT TACKLE
RIGHT END

TEAM
ALY
Rank
ALY
Rank
ALY
Rank
ALY
Rank
ALY
Rank

PHI

CLE

ARI

DEN

CAR

NYJ

BAL

HOU

GB

MIA

DAL

PIT

I really don't understand why we have to keep having the same conversation over and over and over again. The defense was TWICE as effective at stopping the run on the Heyward/Dupree/Shazier/Haden/Davis side of the formation than they were on the Tuitt/Watt/Williams/Burns/Mitchell side of the formation. IF I GOT THAT BACKWARD IN MY HEAD -- I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY NOW!!

Also despite calls for the reinsertion of a massive NT into the line-up, the Steelers were not exactly gouged up the middle.

While this does not mean that Dupree is totally fine and doesn't need improved upon - it means that many of the broad brush and overly simplified criticisms that get repeated over and over around the defense are more complex than first appearances. For 2 years running now, the Steelers have been absolutely terrible on outside runs. That coincides with Burns and Davis entering the line-up far more than Dupree. There was also a drop over on Watt's side of the defense as he took over from Harrison. If anything, Dupree improved his side. I realize it is all related as team defense is really important in dealing with the run, but it appears that the #'s say it is more on the DBs taking terrible containment angles and missing tackles more than any one LB getting blown off the ball - which of course happens at times as well.

Interestingly enough, the Steelers were #1 last season in covering TEs - something that had traditionally just killed them! But they were crap against covering RBs against the pass. I would love to see where that # went before and after Shazier's injury. So again, we see something to address either with players or scheme -- why do RBs just kill this defense in the passing game? I suspect it was the late season play of the ILBs. Hopefully something that Bostic and Burnett go a long ways towards correcting.

Further the team is not "stacked" at WR. After this season the only known quantities on the roster project to be AB and JuJu. Bryant almost certainly leaves for greener pastures and Eli Rogers is not currently a Steeler. DHB isn't really a WR anymore and Marcus Tucker is a PS guy. That's 2 wideouts on a team that likes to go 5-6 deep at the position.

SteelMember
03-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Morgan said you don't have to clutter up his thread with all this LB talk... He'll make everyone better.

:chuckle:

BlackAndGold
03-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Off topic:

Is Steelers Depot working for anyone else? says "page not found"

SteelMember
03-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Off topic:

Is Steelers Depot working for anyone else? says "page not found"

Hot link from our main page went right through... :noidea:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/

BlackAndGold
03-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Hot link from our main page went right through... :noidea:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/

I just fixed the issue. Thanks though.

BlackAndGold
03-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Further the team is not "stacked" at WR. After this season the only known quantities on the roster project to be AB and JuJu. Bryant almost certainly leaves for greener pastures and Eli Rogers is not currently a Steeler. DHB isn't really a WR anymore and Marcus Tucker is a PS guy. That's 2 wideouts on a team that likes to go 5-6 deep at the position.

Reason why I have a WR in my mock going early.

Wonder if they look to sign a WR in FA? Hopefully better than Hunter. I wouldn't mind a reunion with Mike Wallace if the price is right.

hawaiiansteeler
03-21-2018, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't mind a reunion with Mike Wallace if the price is right.

I think that bridge is burnt...

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/37130119.jpg

Mojouw
03-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Reason why I have a WR in my mock going early.

Wonder if they look to sign a WR in FA? Hopefully better than Hunter. I wouldn't mind a reunion with Mike Wallace if the price is right.

With the WR market slowing down now, I think they wait until after the draft. Draft might have a big impact on the rest of the roster "shaping" that goes on.

If you draft a safety, does that mean that Wilcox and his 3 million cap hit take a walk? If you draft a WR or two does that mean DHB goes off the books? How about drafting a CB and cutting Sensabaugh?

I'm not really saying that the team should pass up moves prior to the draft, but depending on the draft -- they might have more cap space later.

BlackAndGold
03-21-2018, 02:43 PM
With the WR market slowing down now, I think they wait until after the draft. Draft might have a big impact on the rest of the roster "shaping" that goes on.

If you draft a safety, does that mean that Wilcox and his 3 million cap hit take a walk? If you draft a WR or two does that mean DHB goes off the books? How about drafting a CB and cutting Sensabaugh?

I'm not really saying that the team should pass up moves prior to the draft, but depending on the draft -- they might have more cap space later.

I could see them waiting. Either way if they sign anyone it'll be cheap.

I do wonder if they did anything to Wilcox contract, or plan to. Would be kinda surprising if he is kept at that price tag as a back up.

86WARD
03-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Round One will be BPA and it could come from the RB, QB, WR, OLB, ILB, CB, S variety. All could use help this year for depth and most likely next year for larger contributions.

86WARD
03-21-2018, 03:10 PM
If you had the opportunity to sign Mitchell back (say in August) as a depth player. Pay him in the neighborhood of $2.25M (give or take 250k) would you entertain the idea?

Dwinsgames
03-21-2018, 03:34 PM
If you had the opportunity to sign Mitchell back (say in August) as a depth player. Pay him in the neighborhood of $2.25M (give or take 250k) would you entertain the idea?

no thanks

Fire Goodell
03-21-2018, 04:15 PM
I think that bridge is burnt...

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/37130119.jpg

Sure it can.. "One year, vet minimum."

teegre
03-21-2018, 07:01 PM
This Burnett signing is great and all.

But... what do all of you think of Marcus Gilbert???

Shoes
03-21-2018, 07:11 PM
This Burnett signing is great and all.

But... what do all of you think of Marcus Gilbert???

I think he likes "Slurp juice."

Craic
03-21-2018, 09:53 PM

Absolutely.

I still believe he gets scapegoated too much around here. Nevertheless, I would agree he is not a starting safety in the NFL. However, if we had the ability to bring in veteran depth and do so while avoiding the "scheme learning" curve while having to fill in depth, we'd be foolish not to do it. I can't think of a FA in August that would be better equipped to contribute than someone like him. Note the highlighted word. Free agent in August.

GBMelBlount
03-22-2018, 07:54 AM
So do we have any more room for another quality FA signing or are we tapped out with regard to picking up additional players of this caliber?

Great question GB.

It looks like we are done unless we do some more restructuring.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2018/03/steelers_burnett_salary_cap.html#incart_river_inde x

pczach
03-22-2018, 01:49 PM
no thanks

Hey man, what's up? Glad to see you here.

I'd be alright with Mitchell coming back at a good price. It would also free them up to have a safety that could come in and play either safety position if there is an injury that knows the system and can communicate the defense to the secondary.

I know his overexuberance isn't appreciated by many, but it does make a ton of sense to have someone that familiar with the system that can lay the lumber. I still believe he is best suited to play SS. I like him a hell of a lot more coming off the bench or as a box safety than I do as a starting free safety.

tube517
03-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Sure it can.. "One year, vet minimum."

:vetmin:

Don't want him back but just wanted to use this smiley :chuckle: