PDA

View Full Version : With the #1 overall pick, the BROWNS select...

teegre
03-19-2018, 05:44 AM
It is time for the annual Steelers Universe mock draft. Each pick will go up for a vote (and discussion). After24 hours, the player with the most votes becomes the pick.

With no further ado, the Cleveland Browns are on the clock...

1. CLEV:

Mods, in the past, you’ve allowed us to keep the poll n the man forum for one day, that way we get as many votes as possible. Then, once the vote has been concluded, the thread usually gets moved to the draft section.

teegre
03-19-2018, 06:22 AM
I went with Barkley.

My rationale:

1. He’s the best skill player in the draft.
2. At 4, the Browns are assured of getting one of the top QBs.

Counter-argument:

1. What if “their” QB is gone at 4...
2. If the Bills acquire the #2 overall pick (they are vocal about wanting Rosen) and the Jets already traded up in order to get a QB, pick #2 and pick #3 will BOTH be QBs... leaving Saquon still available at 4. Ergo, the Browns could get “their” QB at #1, and still get Barkley.

Counter-counter-argument:

1. The Giants may not trade out of #2...
2. ...and, they could definitely take Barkley.

SUMMATION:
I take Barkley.

86WARD
03-19-2018, 06:43 AM
I think the Jets trade helps the Browns lean even more towards QB at 1 and then Barkley at 4 and I think QB was their plan before the Jets slid into that Colts spot.

Here’s my thought...they’ve added all of these Free Agents and during this process, the player that kinda gets lost in all the Tyrod Taylor, Jarvis Landry, TJ Carrie, Demarcus Randall, Duane Stephenson, the retirement of Joe Thomas, is the signing of Carlos Hyde. They sign Hyde to a very manageable 3 year, $15M deal as an insurance policy if Barkley does get taken at picks 2 or 3. Barkley is a Todd Haley type RB and he’d fit Haley’s offensive scheme perfectly.

st33lersguy
03-19-2018, 08:08 AM
I don't think the browns want to miss losing out on Barkley. Plus I think they want Mayfield who is probably there at 4

SteelMember
03-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Jets move makes me think the Browns better take their QB at #1. That being said, the Jets probably not even thinking of whoever Browns have as "best" given their history of passing on guys with their flawed evaluation process, but things look to be changing... Sam Darnold

Mojouw
03-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Darnold.

Jets didn't trade up to take a RB. Giants would be foolish to not take Eli's successor. New Dorsey led regime in Cleveland finally gets things right and takes their franchise leader at #1. Then hopes Barkley is there at #4.

BlackAndGold
03-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Darnold.

Can't take the chance of the Giants and Jets taking QB's leaving them with the third best QB(Allen).

Drazo85
03-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Darnold!

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока

Steeldude
03-19-2018, 10:51 AM
It will be Barkley. They won't draft a QB because they think Taylor is the answer.

steelreserve
03-19-2018, 12:08 PM
There is only one "S-Rank" running back prospect in the draft, but three or four top quarterback prospects. Take the RB #1 and you are still guaranteed of also getting one of the top three QBs at #4. The other way around, not so much. The Browns also let go of their leading rusher, so there's that ...

Unless there is one quarterback that they REALLY want above all the others, I think they just go the safe route and do this.

FrancoLambert
03-19-2018, 12:19 PM
It will be Barkley. They won't draft a QB because they think Taylor is the answer.

Agree. When you can get the most talented offensive player available, you grab him.

If they're high on the QB still available at #4, they grab him. If not, pick up another stud at another position and go with Taylor as your QB.

The Browns might get this right after all.

Mojouw
03-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Okay. So RBs are fungible and easy to obtain according to the last 3 months of posts on this board. Additionally, RB by committee may be a cheaper and more preferable path to roster construction.

Now the board is advocating for taking a RB with #1 overall?

Is it the wear and tear that wildly swings a RB value in the first 5 years of their careers? Alternatively if a RB has only a 4-6 year useful career with a high usage rate, why take that player #1 overall instead of the 10-15 year career player in the QB?

Not trying to call anyone out, but there seems to be two parallel and opposed chains of logic running in the draft discussion and the FA discussions. Or does the RB's are not valuable and hard to get ahold of only kick in when the contract value passes a certain benchmark?

I guess if you view Allen-Rosen-Darnold as interchangeable then maybe Barkley #1 makes sense. I guess I could be influenced by the fact that I believe it is Darnold then a pretty noticeable gap and then the rest of the top cluster of QBs.

But still...

86WARD
03-19-2018, 12:56 PM
The Colts were the biggest threat to take Barkley and they traded out of that spot. Sure the Giants could step in there and get him which would be fine. If the Browns have a QB in mind (Darnold) they have to go with that. It’s not like they don’t have a back signed to the roster and it’s actually an upgrade over what they lost. Hyde is a much better option in the backfield for Haley than Crowell would be so if they do miss out on Barkley, they have Hyde as an insurance policy to fall back on for a few seasons.

ALLD
03-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Poor Sam Donald goes #1 to the Browns and joins the long list of QB busts.

DesertSteel
03-19-2018, 01:11 PM
I went with Barkley.

My rationale:

1. He’s the best skill player in the draft.
2. At 4, the Browns are assured of getting one of the top QBs.

Counter-argument:

1. What if “their” QB is gone at 4...
2. If the Bills acquire the #2 overall pick (they are vocal about wanting Rosen) and the Jets already traded up in order to get a QB, pick #2 and pick #3 will BOTH be QBs... leaving Saquon still available at 4. Ergo, the Browns could get “their” QB at #1, and still get Barkley.

Counter-counter-argument:

1. The Giants may not trade out of #2...
2. ...and, they could definitely take Barkley.

SUMMATION:
I take Barkley.
A mock draft normally works by guessing what THAT team would do, not what you would do. What are you expecting in our response?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Todd Haley is the Browns HC by game 12.

steelreserve
03-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Okay. So RBs are fungible and easy to obtain according to the last 3 months of posts on this board. Additionally, RB by committee may be a cheaper and more preferable path to roster construction.

Is it the wear and tear that wildly swings a RB value in the first 5 years of their careers? Alternatively if a RB has only a 4-6 year useful career with a high usage rate, why take that player #1 overall instead of the 10-15 year career player in the QB?

Not trying to call anyone out, but there seems to be two parallel and opposed chains of logic running in the draft discussion and the FA discussions. Or does the RB's are not valuable and hard to get ahold of only kick in when the contract value passes a certain benchmark?

I guess if you view Allen-Rosen-Darnold as interchangeable then maybe Barkley #1 makes sense. I guess I could be influenced by the fact that I believe it is Darnold then a pretty noticeable gap and then the rest of the top cluster of QBs.

But still...

If you've got two of the top 4 picks and can be assured of getting both positions, that's kind of a special case and that's when I would do it. If you have the normal one pick in the top 4, no way in hell would I take the RB.

Personally, I don't understand why Barkley is rated so much higher than the usual top college RBs that come out; nothing stands out more about him than Elliott or Fournette or whoever happens to be the standout guy that year. If anything, I'm less impressed than I was with those two guys, but that could be that I'm just out of the loop on college this year.

Same for the QB situation. I think of them all as more or less equivalent, but if one is really better than the rest (which I don't know for sure), then no question you take him #1 and take your chances at #4. Maybe they'll be looking for a left tackle again and that's what they do. Although if you want to talk about overdrafted, overpaid, overhyped positions - THAT has got to be at the top of the list, although that's its own whole separate tangent.

Mojouw
03-19-2018, 01:37 PM
If you've got two of the top 4 picks and can be assured of getting both positions, that's kind of a special case and that's when I would do it. If you have the normal one pick in the top 4, no way in hell would I take the RB.

Personally, I don't understand why Barkley is rated so much higher than the usual top college RBs that come out; nothing stands out more about him than Elliott or Fournette or whoever happens to be the standout guy that year. If anything, I'm less impressed than I was with those two guys, but that could be that I'm just out of the loop on college this year.

Same for the QB situation. I think of them all as more or less equivalent, but if one is really better than the rest (which I don't know for sure), then no question you take him #1 and take your chances at #4. Maybe they'll be looking for a left tackle again and that's what they do. Although if you want to talk about overdrafted, overpaid, overhyped positions - THAT has got to be at the top of the list, although that's its own whole separate tangent.

That makes sense. For me I look at recent SB teams and other teams advancing deep into the playoffs. One common thread is that many of them either have an established franchise QB or an emerging franchise guy on a cheap rookie deal. That allows them to spend lavishly on other parts of the roster.

Long story short, I'm going to make sure that I have my pick of the litter at #1 with a QB and not get cute with it. If Barkley is there at 4-- great. If not, I move on to any of the other highly talented backs in the draft.

Also, lost in all this is that from what I have read, the current plan is to have Chris Hubbard play LT for the Browns. So maybe LT is the pick at 4?

teegre
03-19-2018, 01:57 PM
A mock draft normally works by guessing what THAT team would do, not what you would do. What are you expecting in our response?

Okay. I did. :huh:

Everything out there says that the BROWNS want Josh Allen (not Sam Darnold)... which is exactly the QB who I mentioned.

Likewise, the current pulse of the BROWNS is that the BROWNS will either go “Barkley then Allen or “Allen then Barkley”. I was trying to guess what the BROWNS would do... and, I opted for the first option (“Barkley then Allen”).

What “I” would do is very different. “I” do not see any of these QBs as being special. Good, but not special. Ergo. “I” would trade out of #1, down to #5. In that scenario, it’d be QB-QB-QB 1, 2, 3. “I” would take Barkley at 4 and Quentin Nelson at #5. Then, using my plethora of mid-round picks, “I” would trade up into the very end of R1 in order to acquire Kyle Lauletta (QB, Richmond). Yes, Lauletta would most likely be there at 33, but acquiring the QB in R1 gives me the fifth-year option.

Fire Goodell
03-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Barkley is one of the most talented RB's I've seen coming out of the draft. The guy moves like Barry Sanders and that's not something that you will see once every 10, or even 20 years. You can't pass up a player like this, even if you're Cleveland. He goes #1.

I'd have to say he's fun to watch. I know it's collegiate level, but if this guy breaks it past the 2nd level he's pretty much gone. Him vs a db in space always seems to be a mismatch, like watching Sanders back in the day. Curious to see what he can do in the pros.

BlackAndGold
03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Reports are that it's likely QB at #1.

The Browns also signed Carlos Hyde in free agency to start at RB. Darnold #1

Shoes
03-19-2018, 04:19 PM
QB's are like drugs to the Browns...Sam Darnold it will be.

86WARD
03-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Browns busts or USC busts?

pczach
03-19-2018, 06:27 PM

But still...

Barkley is considered by many to be the most talented RB to come out since Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson, and they couldn't run routes, catch the ball, or block the way he does. In other words, he may be the most complete and talented running back to come out of college in the history of the sport. I know he hasn't done anything yet, but his athleticism, measurables, and intangibles are all off the charts. So is his character and off field record. The kid is as good as it gets from a draft perspective.

I think that qualifies as a special situation.

I still think there are going to be a lot of productive RB's taken through the first 4-5 rounds, plus there are always a couple late rounders and UFA's that make an impact.

DesertSteel
03-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Whatever the Browns decide to do, I’m quite sure, will ultimately be the wrong thing.

Mojouw
03-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Barkley is considered by many to be the most talented RB to come out since Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson, and they couldn't run routes, catch the ball, or block the way he does. In other words, he may be the most complete and talented running back to come out of college in the history of the sport. I know he hasn't done anything yet, but his athleticism, measurables, and intangibles are all off the charts. So is his character and off field record. The kid is as good as it gets from a draft perspective.

I think that qualifies as a special situation.

I still think there are going to be a lot of productive RB's taken through the first 4-5 rounds, plus there are always a couple late rounders and UFA's that make an impact.

Jerrick mckinnon beat almost every measurable.

Just sayin:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
03-19-2018, 10:23 PM
Barkley, I don't think even the Brownies can screw this one up.

oh wait...

teegre
03-20-2018, 05:30 AM
After the poll being up for 24 hours, the pick is...

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.

The next poll will be up shortly. (Mods, feel free to move this thread to the draft section.)

pczach
03-20-2018, 05:59 AM
Jerrick mckinnon beat almost every measurable.

Just sayin:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. That's why I listed every other category that he just kills it in.

If you've ever watched him play, it's hard to deny his talent.

With that said, that's why I also said he hasn't done anything yet. Should he be the first pick in the draft? Who knows! I think he's a pretty safe pick to be a terrific player for a long time.

In a perfect world, the Browns never give him a good OL, he struggles there for a few years, and after they cut him the Steelers sign him and he becomes the best RB in the NFL for 5-6 years. :D

Mojouw
03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
I know. That's why I listed every other category that he just kills it in.

If you've ever watched him play, it's hard to deny his talent.

With that said, that's why I also said he hasn't done anything yet. Should he be the first pick in the draft? Who knows! I think he's a pretty safe pick to be a terrific player for a long time.

In a perfect world, the Browns never give him a good OL, he struggles there for a few years, and after they cut him the Steelers sign him and he becomes the best RB in the NFL for 5-6 years. :D

Works for me! In my role as GM of the Browns, I just don't see how you can EVER pass on a "franchise" QB for a RB. And I do believe that Darnold will be better than the rest of this class in the long run.

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Works for me! In my role as GM of the Browns, I just don't see how you can EVER pass on a "franchise" QB for a RB. And I do believe that Darnold will be better than the rest of this class in the long run.

NFL Rumors - March 20 Updates:

"My understanding is, and who knows what's going to happen over the next five weeks, but I think the Jets are operating under the assumption that Sam Darnold will be the No. 1 pick." - Manish Mehta, New York Daily News

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

pczach
03-21-2018, 04:37 AM

I agree.

If you're a team that needs a quarterback and you believe a player is a franchise quarterback.....you draft him....period.

We just don't know who the Browns evaluate as the best quarterback in this draft.

hawaiiansteeler
03-21-2018, 02:35 PM
I agree.

If you're a team that needs a quarterback and you believe a player is a franchise quarterback.....you draft him....period.

We just don't know who the Browns evaluate as the best quarterback in this draft.

rumor has it that QB is Darnold...

hawaiiansteeler
03-28-2018, 01:13 AM
The Browns are debating between Sam Darnold and Josh Allen with the first-overall pick. - Chris Mortensen, ESPN

Yesterday, Dan Patrick reported that the Browns are attempting to feign interest in Sam Darnold to get the Darnold-smitten Giants to move up to No. 1 overall. It would make sense for the teams to swap picks if the Browns ultimately decide that they want to go with Allen. -Walter

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors

BlackAndGold
04-11-2018, 06:04 PM

st33lersguy
04-11-2018, 06:36 PM

That would be a mistake. Typical browns

teegre
04-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Yep :nod:

Everything out there says that the BROWNS want Josh Allen (not Sam Darnold)... which is exactly the QB who I mentioned.

hawaiiansteeler
04-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Cleveland Browns: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Saquon Barkley may have been a legitimate option for the top pick at one point, but recent trades will force the Browns into taking a quarterback first overall because they'll almost certainly be able to obtain Barkley with the fourth-overall choice.

The Jets have traded up to No. 3 - go here for my NFL Trade Grades page to see what I've given the Jets and Colts - and it's likely that the Bills, Broncos or Cardinals wil make a move to grab the second-overall selection from the Giants. It's also possible that the Giants will just select Sam Darnold, their top-rated signal-caller. Thus, if the Browns want a specific quarterback, they can just get him here and then snag Barkley at No. 4.

The Browns have been linked to every quarterback not named Josh Rosen. Josh Allen has the biggest arm in this class, and he makes sense for Todd Haley's offense. Darnold is also a strong option. I think it comes down to one of them, and I think I'd give Allen a slight edge right now, per recent reports.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

Born2Steel
04-12-2018, 07:46 AM
I don't know who they will select but I hope he refuses to wear the #2.

DesertSteel
04-12-2018, 01:42 PM
I can easily see their first pick doubling their wins from the past two seasons.... combined!

hawaiiansteeler
04-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Report: Saquon Barkley’s agents don’t want him to go to Cleveland

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 18, 2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/18/report-saquon-barkleys-agents-dont-want-him-to-go-to-cleveland/

86WARD
04-19-2018, 10:43 AM
He’s gonna be there unless the Giants save him...

Shoes
04-19-2018, 01:39 PM
I don't know how the Browns will be able afford to keep all these early picks after their rookie contract is up?

teegre
04-19-2018, 02:08 PM
I don't know how the Browns will be able afford to keep all these early picks after their rookie contract is up?

They won’t. It’s the moneyball approach.

Load up on young talent.
Hope to strike gold with 7-10 of those players.
Keep 5 or 6 core guys.
The other good ones that escape as free agents, turn in R3 comp picks.
Repeat.

IowaSteeler927
04-21-2018, 05:25 AM
I think the Brownies will take Darnold 1st Overall. He's more pro-ready than Allen is at this point. Allen needs to sit on the bench for a couple of years. The Browns ideally need to take a guy that might be able to play now if he's forced into it. I don't see Tyrod Taylor lighting the world on fire. The way the Browns go through Quarterbacks I expect Taylor will make it halfway through the season at most. Darnold or Rosen are the most prepared guys coming out of college. If Allen had to be thrown into the fire, I don't think it'd be good for him. The kid has the intangibles but I think he needs to sit a year or two behind a seasoned quarterback and work on his mechanics, and knowledge of the game.

I think it'll be Darnold #1, and Barkley with #4.

Texasteel
04-21-2018, 07:08 AM
I too think Darnold will become the annual sacrificial lamb. I will send him a sympathy for the death of him career.

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2018, 03:21 PM
I think the Brownies will take Darnold 1st Overall. He's more pro-ready than Allen is at this point. Allen needs to sit on the bench for a couple of years. The Browns ideally need to take a guy that might be able to play now if he's forced into it. I don't see Tyrod Taylor lighting the world on fire. The way the Browns go through Quarterbacks I expect Taylor will make it halfway through the season at most. Darnold or Rosen are the most prepared guys coming out of college. If Allen had to be thrown into the fire, I don't think it'd be good for him. The kid has the intangibles but I think he needs to sit a year or two behind a seasoned quarterback and work on his mechanics, and knowledge of the game.

I think it'll be Darnold #1, and Barkley with #4.

I think the Brownies will take Darnold at #1 also but I think the Giants at #2 will then pick Barkley...

IowaSteeler927
04-23-2018, 01:15 AM
I think the Brownies will take Darnold at #1 also but I think the Giants at #2 will then pick Barkley...I just don't see the Giants skipping out on Rosen. I think if the Brownies take Darnold, the Giants will take Rosen, and the Jets will take either Mayfield, or Allen. I think Barkley will still be available at #4.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
04-24-2018, 11:58 AM
4/24: Baker Mayfield is "definitely" in the conversation to be the first-overall pick. - Adam Schefter, ESPN

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft

Because, Browns

Mojouw
04-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Rosen - most ready to play now and maybe highest floor of the big 3 QB prospects.
Allen - eye-popping physical tools and (by far) the highest bust potential
Mayfield - medium ceiling and medium floor because of his accuracy
Darnold - needs to keep growing, but ceiling almost as high as Allen and almost as ready to play as Rosen.

What am I getting at? Darnold just looks like the pick of the litter and Allen looks like the hardest roll of the dice and a "bust" that can Ryan Leaf a franchise.

Allen is the pick. It is the Browns. What do we honestly think they are going to do? Be sensible?

st33lersguy
04-25-2018, 04:48 PM
I think Rosen is going to be the best QB from this class. Polished, pro ready, smart
Darnold could have a really good career, but his turnovers and the track record of USC QBs give me pause that he may be just average
I think Mayfield and Allen end up busts. Mayfeild seems like an on-field Johnny Football and QBs from these gimmick offenses really don't pan out. Meanwhile, Allen to me screams draft bust. Accuracy issues, failed consistently against power 5 schools (some will point to Ben's 5 INT game against Iowa in 03, but he had a great game against Iowa in 02), not polished at all.

teegre
04-25-2018, 04:53 PM
I think Rosen is going to be the best QB from this class.

Absolutely... if for no other reason than his interview on NFL Network yesterday.

Holy crap!!!! talk about awakening the sleeping giant.

BnG_Hevn
04-25-2018, 04:56 PM
If the Browns go with Mayfield they are a lost cause.

My guess is Josh Allen and then at 4 they take either Barkley or Chubbs.

j-d-s
04-25-2018, 05:12 PM

This. After the Browns managed to trade away picks that became Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson in the last two years, I think they don't want to risk it this time. And, being the Browns, their QB winds up as a bust.

Dwinsgames
04-25-2018, 08:12 PM
4/24: Baker Mayfield is "definitely" in the conversation to be the first-overall pick. - Adam Schefter, ESPN

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft

Because, Browns

Robert Klemko just said Baker doesn't think he's going to the Browns. He said Baker thinks he's going to Jets or Broncos ...whatever that is worth

86WARD
04-26-2018, 10:50 AM
That’s nothing but positive thinking on the part of Baker...

All kidding aside though, the Browns situation as it stands is pretty damn good if the right QB with the right attitude goes in there. Cleveland is poised to be in the best position of any AFC North Team in the next 3-4 years.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 06:11 PM
Mike Freeman's NFL Draft Notebook: Browns Blow It, Again

Browns blow another draft

It's sometimes too easy to pick on the Browns. But dear God, do they make it easy.

to read rest of article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772670-mike-freemans-nfl-draft-notebook-browns-blow-it-again-and-of-course

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Judging by this brutal first pitch, Baker Mayfield already looks like a Cleveland Browns QB

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judging-brutal-first-pitch-baker-153549741.html

ALLD
04-30-2018, 03:32 PM
I wonder if the Browns will pick another QB next year with the #1 pick?

Texasteel
05-01-2018, 07:48 PM
I wonder if the Browns will pick another QB next year with the #1 pick?

I think the Browns have learned their lesson. Next year they will take a QB in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds.