PDA

View Full Version : ILB and OLB in Nickel and Dime Question

Mojouw
03-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Sitting in front of the computer again avoiding doing actual work...and I got to thinking.

What about a nickel and dime package that doesn't have either ILB on the field?

Tuitt - Hargrave - Heyward and then stand Dupree up and move him around as the 4th in the front wall.

Watt is joined by Davis at the LB level.

Burns-Sutton-Haden-Hilton-MYSTERY SAFETY

Then if you want to go Dime, take Dupree off the field and add Sensabaugh or Allen?

Call me crazy and I realize that takes Watt out of the pass rush more than anyone may like, but let's assume they can't/don't get a guy who can cover like Shazier could -- rather than bang your head on the wall trying to force someone into a role they are ill-suited for, just go another direction? The biggest drawback I could see is that there just isn't enough "beef" on the field in this type of alignment. But maybe you only pull this out on like 3rd and 5 or more?

steelreserve
03-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Call me crazy and I realize that takes Watt out of the pass rush more than anyone may like, but let's assume they can't/don't get a guy who can cover like Shazier could -- rather than bang your head on the wall trying to force someone into a role they are ill-suited for, just go another direction?

Based on past experience, I think they would bang their head against the wall. I really hope they get a LB fast enough to cover people.

teegre
03-18-2018, 10:33 PM
You might be onto something.

I remember Artie Burns talking about a new alignment with 7 DBs (plus, Watt and 3 d-linemen).

Mojouw
03-18-2018, 10:54 PM
You might be onto something.

I remember Artie Burns talking about a new alignment with 7 DBs (plus, Watt and 3 d-linemen).

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Artie Burns can count?