PDA

View Full Version : Preacher's "What I learned today"

Craic
09-19-2010, 11:38 PM
What did I learn today?

1. I learned that any discussion of the best linebacker corp in the HISTORY OF THE NFL, will very soon have to include the corp of Timmons, Farrior, Harrison, Woodley, Clark, and Fox. As a sidenote, I learned that there is absolutely no reason to hold my breath when our two stud ILB's sit out the same play or series, as our backups are literal starters on most other teams.

2. I learned that some kid named Sylvester is a mean, hot-headed, bright spot in our future. He knows how to light em up.

3. I learned that our OL coach is an absolute stud to get what he is getting out of what he has. Remember, we have a 2nd stringer, and in some cases, third stringers on the line today. We were playing in such a way that the defense were bringing up 8 in the box without too much worry, reminiscent of the mid 90's. Yet, we have a very long way to go, with 4 sacks today. As a sidenote, I learned that Legursky should probably stay at RG, and Kemo should kick out to LT for now.

4. I learned that our ST's are on a very long journey. They have come a long way, and they have a long way to go.

5. I have learned that the calendar in the Steelers defensive meetings seems to say, September, 2008, not 2010.

6. I have learned that with everything that is absolutely shut-down beautiful and wonderful in our defense, I still have reason to worry about the last 5 minutes of every game. There is absolutely no reason the defense should have shut down the Titans for 55 minutes, and then almost give the game away (well, give up a tie and OT).

7. I have learned that there is a reason why Dixon is a number three, and Batch is a number four QB for the Steelers. For anyone who wants to start in on BA about Redzone Td's, there is absolutely no room for that argument until we actually have a QB that can make a throw longer than 10 yards with any type of consistency.

8. I learned that even with our troubles, our offense is as mean as our defense, and what happens when Hines Ward stops smiling.

9. I learned that in 3 more weeks, if our defense keeps playing like this, there will be no stopping this team once Ben is back.

10. I'm starting to get that "feeling" concerning this defense.

Merchant
09-19-2010, 11:58 PM
In the words of Ocho... Once Ben comes back... you might as well Kiss the Baby

JHSilverback
09-20-2010, 12:18 AM
What did I learn today?

6. I have learned that with everything that is absolutely shut-down beautiful and wonderful in our defense, I still have reason to worry about the last 5 minutes of every game. There is absolutely no reason the defense should have shut down the Titans for 55 minutes, and then almost give the game away (well, give up a tie and OT).

The defense was just tired from fact that it was hotter than no other and the dirty titans made them wear their home unis. You could see guys going to their knees not because they were hurt but, they were dehydrated and probably had heat exhaustion. Heck they even had sideline staff holding some make shift tent shade so the players could cool off. So I'm looking at the decline of the defense in the last couple minutes not due to the defense but to the conditions.

Craic
09-20-2010, 12:30 AM
The defense was just tired from fact that it was hotter than no other and the dirty titans made them wear their home unis. You could see guys going to their knees not because they were hurt but, they were dehydrated and probably had heat exhaustion. Heck they even had sideline staff holding some make shift tent shade so the players could cool off. So I'm looking at the decline of the defense in the last couple minutes not due to the defense but to the conditions.

I'd accept that, except for the defensive breakdowns numerous times last year in the 4th quarter, and even in the playoffs the year before (though we still won). I do not understand why, after we are so aggressive for 55 minutes, we pull in the fangs in the last two drives.

pepsyman1
09-20-2010, 12:31 AM

The defense went into a prevent shell and stopped blitzing. There weren't any blitzes on Collins TD drive. We do that frequently at the end of games and it drives me nuts. I know we do it so as not to give up a big play, but it never fails that we give up a quick drive and a TD anyway. I'd rather see if the opposition can beat us at our best instead of giving them a red carpet to march down the field.

kmsteelerwr15
09-20-2010, 12:59 AM
What did I learn today?

9. I learned that in 3 more weeks, if our defense keeps playing like this, there will be no stopping this team once Ben is back.

:tt03:

NCSteeler
09-20-2010, 03:56 AM
I'd accept that, except for the defensive breakdowns numerous times last year in the 4th quarter, and even in the playoffs the year before (though we still won). I do not understand why, after we are so aggressive for 55 minutes, we pull in the fangs in the last two drives.

Did you watch the game? With 5 minutes left they could barely muster the energy to walk on the field, let alone blitz. Those guys played their hearts out today in gut wrenching heat, and you want more. Nice real nice. Cut the guys some slack, would ya.

Bipolar The Titan
09-20-2010, 04:59 AM
The defense was just tired from fact that it was hotter than no other and the dirty titans made them wear their home unis.
:lol: Dirty? Seriously? Ok man... that like saying the "dirty" opponent won the toss and elected to receive.... :bs: please.... :hand: Given the choice between white and solid color on that day, in those conditions, which the home team has the 1st choice of uniform set... what would you do? :dizzy:

stillers4me
09-20-2010, 05:50 AM
:lol: Dirty? Seriously? Ok man... that like saying the "dirty" opponent won the toss and elected to receive.... :bs: please.... :hand: Given the choice between white and solid color on that day, in those conditions, which the home team has the 1st choice of uniform set... what would you do? :dizzy:

Your solid color is what?? Baby blue??

GoSlash27
09-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Bipolar,
You have been a classy guest and we're glad to have you aboard. I was disturbed to see the Steelers in black yesterday also, and while I certainly won't call it "dirty", it is still somehow seems wrong. I can't remember the last time I saw the Steelers in black at an away game. It's one of those things that's just not done. *shrug*
Anyway, kudos on the Titans for playing like cornered badgers. We can always count on you guys for a hard-fought game.

SteelMember
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't remember the last time I saw the Steelers in black at an away game. It's one of those things that's just not done. *shrug*

I think the last time was in Dallas, but their home jerseys ARE the white ones. The last "non-traditional" time I believe was in Jagoffville. It is, however, not done that often as you say. I guess when your looking for an advantage, you'll take everything you can get. :noidea:

What we all learned... We were one Charlie Batch dropback away from seeing Randle El as an NFL quarterback for more than the occasional gadget play... yikes.

7 turnovers, and they still had a chance at the end. Take nothing for granted.

There is no QB controversy. When Ben gets back... He will start.

vasteeler
09-20-2010, 10:27 AM

thats a smart move, it was close to 100 degrees and we have black jerseys......take any advantage you can get

43Hitman
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I tend to agree with the jersey thing. If I have a chance to make my opponent tire quicker than me, I'm doing it.

Craic
09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Did you watch the game? With 5 minutes left they could barely muster the energy to walk on the field, let alone blitz. Those guys played their hearts out today in gut wrenching heat, and you want more. Nice real nice. Cut the guys some slack, would ya.

Yes I did. I noticed that the very series before, we were still blitzing lights out. You mean to tell me that in just a couple minutes, our players went from monsters to middle-aged men that can't hack the heat? Sorry, not buying it, especially since it is the continuation of a pattern set two years ago. What excuse will be made in December? It's too cold? That's one I don't remember from last year in any of our 5 giveaways.

Bipolar The Titan
09-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Your solid color is what?? Baby blue??
and your point is what? Are you suggesting in the interest of fairness we should have elected to wear the alternate dark navy as an equalizer? Maybe while we are at it instruct our fans to sit on their hands while the opposing offense drives? We wouldn't want to tip the fairness balance by distracting or interfering with the signal callers cadence by, God forbid, making noise, now would we?

How about instead of a throwback alternate uni with black jersey and yellow numbers you have a yellow jersey with white numbers and black piping? Is it my teams fault that you have TWO black shirt uniform sets? Is that REALLY necessary? I bet you the Titans dark navy became alternate rather than primary home in part because of the heat saturation issue of playing home games in the mid south. If the Titans open the season on the road in San Diego you can bet your bottom dollar the Chargers would wear white.

"You people" don't take the heat into consideration just as I, conversely, don't take into account the cold. Pittsburgh has a cold weather advantage. As does New York teams, Patriots, EC. Take a Titans team, ask them if they would rather play the Giants, on the road, in week 3 or week 13... How would you predict the result of that poll?

BlastFurnace
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Bipolar,
You have been a classy guest and we're glad to have you aboard. I was disturbed to see the Steelers in black yesterday also, and while I certainly won't call it "dirty", it is still somehow seems wrong. I can't remember the last time I saw the Steelers in black at an away game. It's one of those things that's just not done. *shrug*
Anyway, kudos on the Titans for playing like cornered badgers. We can always count on you guys for a hard-fought game.

That's not being dirty, that's being smart. The Jaguars used to do it to us every year in Jacksonville.

Craic
09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
That's not being dirty, that's being smart. The Jaguars used to do it to us every year in Jacksonville.

Exactly. You play every advantage you have. One of the home field advantages are Jerseys. Using it is just as dirty as a defense rising their arms trying to get the crowd going. Home field advantage, that is all.

SteelersGirlTN7
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Using it is just as dirty as a defense rising their arms trying to get the crowd going. Home field advantage, that is all.

Which the Steelers were doing at LP Field near the end of the game .. LOL I loved it!

Craic
09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Which the Steelers were doing at LP Field near the end of the game .. LOL I loved it!

Heck, when the Steelers scored at the beginning of the game, I was shocked at the cheering. I told my friend to watch and I replayed it. All the towels waving, the crowd cheering, it DID seem like a homegame.