PDA

View Full Version : Tyrann Mathieu's skill set has to intrigue Steelers

Shoes
03-16-2018, 11:17 AM
PITTSBURGH -- A rangy safety who can line up as a cornerback or linebacker with a mix of athleticism and physicality?

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27442/tyrann-mathieus-skill-set-has-to-intrigue-steelers

Steelermania
03-16-2018, 04:32 PM
He's Bob Sanders, too small to hold up. He'll be living on IR.

st33lersguy
03-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Not sure it is a good idea to spend that money on an injury prone player, especially cap-strapped

Born2Steel
03-16-2018, 08:18 PM
The injury prone part does concern me. But...."cap-strapped" or not, we need a functional safety from somewhere. I'm not up on the Mathieu injury saga myself, but what I understand is he has had both knees reconstructed already. I would not expect him to make much of a difference here.Not on 2 bad knees.

pczach
03-16-2018, 09:24 PM
The injury prone part does concern me. But...."cap-strapped" or not, we need a functional safety from somewhere. I'm not up on the Mathieu injury saga myself, but what I understand is he has had both knees reconstructed already. I would not expect him to make much of a difference here.Not on 2 bad knees.

This defense would really improve if they created more turnovers. Ball-hawking playmakers could make a huge difference.

I don't care if players already on the roster step up and become that type of player, if they get a FA, if they make a trade, or if they draft a player. This defense needs that type of player. Imagine the damage the offense could do with more short fields and more possessions. Creating turnovers can make an otherwise pedestrian defense into an effective unit.

BlackAndGold
03-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Mathieu has signed with Houston on a 1 year deal.

hawaiiansteeler
03-16-2018, 10:06 PM
Mathieu has signed with Houston on a 1 year deal.

one year for $7 million dollars...

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eser p%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2018, 10:54 PM
The Texans? LOL! I thought that he wanted a "winning culture"?

Born2Steel
03-17-2018, 09:32 AM
This defense would really improve if they created more turnovers. Ball-hawking playmakers could make a huge difference.

I don't care if players already on the roster step up and become that type of player, if they get a FA, if they make a trade, or if they draft a player. This defense needs that type of player. Imagine the damage the offense could do with more short fields and more possessions. Creating turnovers can make an otherwise pedestrian defense into an effective unit.

100% agree.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2018, 11:24 AM
just seen this .... now I am confused was this Before or after the texans announcement ?

https://twitter.com/handsomeasfuc/status/974678974126321665

teegre
03-17-2018, 11:29 AM
just seen this .... now I am confused was this Before or after the texans announcement ?

https://twitter.com/handsomeasfuc/status/974678974126321665

That’s a parody account that makes fun of Ian Rapoport’s awful tweets.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2018, 11:31 AM
That’s a parody account that makes fun of Ian Rapoport’s awful tweets.

oh good lord how did I miss that lmao ( guess that is what I get for staying up past 4 am and missing a ton of sleep )

teegre
03-17-2018, 11:50 AM
oh good lord how did I miss that lmao ( guess that is what I get for staying up past 4 am and missing a ton of sleep )

When your coffee starts talking to... it’s time to go to bed. :lol:

silver & black
03-17-2018, 01:04 PM
The Texans? LOL! I thought that he wanted a "winning culture"?

"Winning culture" is code for $$$.

BlackAndGold
03-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Well to be fair, a winning culture will happen with the Texans very soon.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2e0ed0924c5c0840ac036cec07b660ef/tenor.gif?itemid=7462991

pczach
03-17-2018, 01:33 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/2e0ed0924c5c0840ac036cec07b660ef/tenor.gif?itemid=7462991

You got that right!

What a player and leader he is.

Mojouw
03-17-2018, 01:43 PM
You got that right!

I really want Watson to be great. He put on a heck of a month of October last season.

My only concern is that they started running a bit of hybrid pro and college style offense when Watson took over. Once teams get used to it and get more tape on it -- what happens then? I suspect, Obrien and Watson adjust and things keep rolling...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah. Back to the thread topic. Mathieu's skill set did and does intrigue the Steelers. SO much so that they have tried multiple players jammed into that nickelbacker role. Both the Goldens, Davis a bit here and there, and then the struck gold with Hilton.

That is why they likely had almost zero interest in Mathieu. They need a centerfielder more than anything else. They have two guys who are better in that "box" role than playing off in Hilton and Davis. So where does another player with a similar skill set fit?

pczach
03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
I really want Watson to be great. He put on a heck of a month of October last season.

My only concern is that they started running a bit of hybrid pro and college style offense when Watson took over. Once teams get used to it and get more tape on it -- what happens then? I suspect, Obrien and Watson adjust and things keep rolling...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah. Back to the thread topic. Mathieu's skill set did and does intrigue the Steelers. SO much so that they have tried multiple players jammed into that nickelbacker role. Both the Goldens, Davis a bit here and there, and then the struck gold with Hilton.

That is why they likely had almost zero interest in Mathieu. They need a centerfielder more than anything else. They have two guys who are better in that "box" role than playing off in Hilton and Davis. So where does another player with a similar skill set fit?

Fear not. His God-given instincts and abilities will likely allow him to overcome different things that are thrown at him. He just seems to have that internal "something" that everyone is looking for. He also has a great X's and O's coach in O'Brien. Did you see how quickly he was able to tailor an offense to Watson that he can thrive in? I think he'll be just fine.

He's a kid I'll be happy to see succeed for the foreseeable future.

I don't necessarily think they didn't have any interest in Mathieu. I just think they prefer young, fast, and inexpensive without a major injury history.

I suspect they like a player or two already on the roster, and still plan a free agent signing if they find the right guy at the right price. If not, they will address it in the draft.

Mojouw
03-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Fear not. His God-given instincts and abilities will likely allow him to overcome different things that are thrown at him. He just seems to have that internal "something" that everyone is looking for. He also has a great X's and O's coach in O'Brien. Did you see how quickly he was able to tailor an offense to Watson that he can thrive in? I think he'll be just fine.

He's a kid I'll be happy to see succeed for the foreseeable future.

I don't necessarily think they didn't have any interest in Mathieu. I just think they prefer young, fast, and inexpensive without a major injury history.

I suspect they like a player or two already on the roster, and still plan a free agent signing if they find the right guy at the right price. If not, they will address it in the draft.

I can agree with all that. I guess "zero interest" was too strong on my part. I just don't see why they would duplicate skills in the secondary when they get what they need from the role out of Hilton. They desparetly need a deep centerfield type. Mathieu isn' that.

Which makes me wonder. Assume no FA signings. What about Haden at FS? Sutton starts flanked by Burns. Hilton takes the slot. Davis at SS, Haden at FS and Allen moves into the dime defender role. Malik Golden and Dangerfield fight it out for depth with Sensabuagh (who isn't cut - yet). Draft a DB or two and....maybe you're just as good as a pricey FA?

I mean Vacarro is on the market for a reason. So is Reid and Boston - although to a lesser extent...

pczach
03-17-2018, 05:17 PM
I can agree with all that. I guess "zero interest" was too strong on my part. I just don't see why they would duplicate skills in the secondary when they get what they need from the role out of Hilton. They desparetly need a deep centerfield type. Mathieu isn' that.

Which makes me wonder. Assume no FA signings. What about Haden at FS? Sutton starts flanked by Burns. Hilton takes the slot. Davis at SS, Haden at FS and Allen moves into the dime defender role. Malik Golden and Dangerfield fight it out for depth with Sensabuagh (who isn't cut - yet). Draft a DB or two and....maybe you're just as good as a pricey FA?

I mean Vacarro is on the market for a reason. So is Reid and Boston - although to a lesser extent...

I think that may all be in play. Don't forget that they will probably be adding at least one secondary player in the draft to possibly affect your scenario.

At this point, anything is possible. Let's also not forget about a preseason pickup after roster cuts. Everything is in play.

Edman
03-17-2018, 05:42 PM

You got that right!

Once upon a time Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck were the new sure things. So was Cam Newton. BTW, how is Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliot holding out right now after their sophomore year?

You need to be careful crowning a legend after a hot rookie season. Cool your jets.

Born2Steel
03-17-2018, 05:53 PM

I think that scenario is very possible. I posted something very similar not long ago. Who are the FS on the FA list that would be a better solution? CBs come a lot easier in the draft than a true FS. If we can get that Wake forest kid at 28, then stand pat. But I think we set it up for Haden to make that move this spring otherwise. Then maybe bring Mitchell back cheaper to play SS and let Davis backup both.

Mojouw
03-17-2018, 06:04 PM
I think that scenario is very possible. I posted something very similar not long ago. Who are the FS on the FA list that would be a better solution? CBs come a lot easier in the draft than a true FS. If we can get that Wake forest kid at 28, then stand pat. But I think we set it up for Haden to make that move this spring otherwise. Then maybe bring Mitchell back cheaper to play SS and let Davis backup both.

I would only quibble with two parts of that. I think Bates will be available deeper into the draft than the first round, but I am year in and year out totally wrong in projecting the rounds guys go in. Also, I don't think you can move Davis to a back-up role unless you are ready to pretty much give up on him. Either he starts and gets better, or you bail out on him ever being a starter. What about flipping the script, and bringing Mitchell back as the back-up and dime defender?

Born2Steel
03-17-2018, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to give up on Davis, but he hasn't shown the ability to start yet, IMO. I think he can easily be replaced by a veteran FA. What has he done that has shown that "WOW" factor we look for?

Mojouw
03-17-2018, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to give up on Davis, but he hasn't shown the ability to start yet, IMO. I think he can easily be replaced by a veteran FA. What has he done that has shown that "WOW" factor we look for?

Nothing. But if you cycle him into a back-up role at this point in his development, he stagnates and likely doesn't get any better. The only way Davis begins to have a "wow" factor is if he merges his athletic traits with anticipation and play recognition. Well that and remembering his assignment...but that is another post. Point is, Davis is past the point where mental reps as back-up or rotational player will develop his game. It is truly sink or swim with him. Gotta keep running him out there and hoping he "gets it" OR you call it a day and realize he is a slightly better version of Shamarko Thomas, but not an NFL starter.

I know I usually can be talked into or even advocate for a middle ground, but with both Davis and Dupree, I really think an extreme position is warranted. Personally, I would throw them both to the wolves for one more season as starters and cross my fingers that the traits that got them drafted super high start to shine through game in and game out.

Born2Steel
03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Nothing. But if you cycle him into a back-up role at this point in his development, he stagnates and likely doesn't get any better. The only way Davis begins to have a "wow" factor is if he merges his athletic traits with anticipation and play recognition. Well that and remembering his assignment...but that is another post. Point is, Davis is past the point where mental reps as back-up or rotational player will develop his game. It is truly sink or swim with him. Gotta keep running him out there and hoping he "gets it" OR you call it a day and realize he is a slightly better version of Shamarko Thomas, but not an NFL starter.

I know I usually can be talked into or even advocate for a middle ground, but with both Davis and Dupree, I really think an extreme position is warranted. Personally, I would throw them both to the wolves for one more season as starters and cross my fingers that the traits that got them drafted super high start to shine through game in and game out.

Valid. On the Dupree front, if they are serious about moving him to the right side, I think we have our answer early with not much room for debate. With Davis I wonder if he will be the guy that never had that compliment player he could fully trust. And therefore continue to get the benefit of doubt on why he keeps missing tackles he should be making. I am not asking for him to become TP43 when I say "WOW" factor. I just want to see Sean Davis consistently do what the role requires at an NFL level. He doesn't have to make probowls so long as he can make the conversation. You are correct, year 3 will be his tell. We have cut Mitchell, have not talked with any FA FS as far as what's been reported, and looking at possibly playing a rookie or newly converted CB next to him. He is going to have to step it up and play to his draft potential.