PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Out?

Mojouw
03-09-2018, 02:50 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/report-steelers-expected-to-release-s-mike-mitchell-soon/

ARticle indicates they are open to him coming back at a lower salary #. Of course the same was said about Wilcox.

Maybe whichever one takes a lower offer gets rostered?

st33lersguy
03-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Just get rid of Mitchell

BlackAndGold
03-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Yes he will be cut.

86WARD
03-09-2018, 03:32 PM
It is what it is...

Mojouw
03-09-2018, 03:35 PM
It is what it is...

Nice!

BlackAndGold
03-09-2018, 03:44 PM
They must feel they can sign someone via FA.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Just get rid of Mitchell

Yes. I'm tired of him.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2018, 04:24 PM
draft the best safety on your board regardless of strong or free ... Davis is ( or should be ) pos flexible being a former corner Free should be his more natural spot anyways

Craic
03-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Yes. I'm tired of him.

Perhaps, but it's not like his level of play was the lowest of NFL quality play. I'd hate to see us pick up someone else only to have that become an even weaker area. I'd before to bring him back at a reduced price and then let him battle it out with a couple rookies for the position.

Mojouw
03-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Assuming Mitchell is gone Haden value goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
03-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Perhaps, but it's not like his level of play was the lowest of NFL quality play. I'd hate to see us pick up someone else only to have that become an even weaker area. I'd before to bring him back at a reduced price and then let him battle it out with a couple rookies for the position.

Maybe not the lowest but it was low

He was not the playmaker the Steelers had hoped he’d be when they signed him. He had just four interceptions in those four seasons and none in 2017. He forced four fumbles, also none last season, and recovered four, one last season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/03/09/mike-mitchell-release-steelers-salary-cap/stories/201803090161

As Chuck Noll said when Hollywood Henderson was talking trash in the run up to Super Bowl XIII - "Empty barrels make the most noise"

86WARD
03-09-2018, 05:36 PM
We’ll see how they plan on replacing him to see if this was a good move...

tube517
03-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Declining skills, age, and salary.

Also, all those injuries he played through caught up at age 31.

Mojouw
03-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Haden better be able to play all 16 games and organize the rest of the mental midgets.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Haden better be able to play all 16 games and organize the rest of the mental midgets.

perhaps making a small run at Tre Boston could stop the bleeding some

Mojouw
03-09-2018, 07:40 PM
perhaps making a small run at Tre Boston could stop the bleeding some

That could work

st33lersguy
03-09-2018, 09:13 PM
It's always better to try and improve rather than settle for bad play and get torched in the postseason every year because the starting free safety gets burned repeatedly, and turning 32, he was only going to get worse than last year.
I hate the notion of keeping him around because they don't have much else at the position. There are better options out there, try and get better at the position don't settle for poor play because they might find someone worse

Craic
03-09-2018, 09:28 PM
Maybe not the lowest but it was low

He was not the playmaker the Steelers had hoped he’d be when they signed him. He had just four interceptions in those four seasons and none in 2017. He forced four fumbles, also none last season, and recovered four, one last season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/03/09/mike-mitchell-release-steelers-salary-cap/stories/201803090161

As Chuck Noll said when Hollywood Henderson was talking trash in the run up to Super Bowl XIII - "Empty barrels make the most noise"

Not sure I agree with that. The problem with years of Troy P. and Ryan Clark is that our expectations at that position were raised beyond what is normal. Funny thing is, PFF (https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/michael-mitchell/4970)ranks Mitchell's 2017 grade as "average." I'd be interested in a pass distribution chart to see why the PD disparity exists. Also, Burns defended 13 passes, which is almost equal to Hayden and Davis together (15).

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he's a great player. I do, however, think he's been scapegoated a bit. He's an average player getting an above average salary, and that's ​why we shouldn't keep him for his current cost, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

It's always better to try and improve rather than settle for bad play and get torched in the postseason every year because the starting free safety gets burned repeatedly, and turning 32, he was only going to get worse than last year.
I hate the notion of keeping him around because they don't have much else at the position. There are better options out there, try and get better at the position don't settle for poor play because they might find someone worse

No one's saying to settle for poor play. What I see here (and what' I've argued) is (1) he's valuable as a backup and should be kept at a backup price, and (2) the problem is he's an average CB playing at a salary level that is too high for his current output. I know people say he sucks, but where's the evidence? Passes Defended is a stat that is worth something only in context. Again, not saying he's a good DB. I'm saying I think we're scapgoating him a bit.

teegre
03-09-2018, 09:43 PM
I loved his leadership.
I loved his spirit.
I loved his enthusiasm.
But... man alive!!! he really was a drop off from Ryan Clark.

Oh, and what a year to need a safety. There’s about a dozen who can fill the void (and, our new secondary coach knows two of them verrrrry well).

Steelerchad
03-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Mitchell just didn't make plays. He always went for the big hit instead of making a solid tackle or pass defense. I'd rather move on from him based on his play. Add in his age and salary makes me feel like moving on even more.

Shoes
03-09-2018, 09:46 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/NFL-teams-have-already-contacted-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Mike-Mitchell-116032281

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2018, 10:22 PM

Too many missed plays and he doesn't have the speed any more. Add in his stupid theatrics and I don't want him back. He's just not very good in coverage.

Born2Steel
03-10-2018, 12:14 AM
I am in complete agreement with upgrading Mitchell. I am against getting rid of Mitchell before we have that upgrade on the team.

Mojouw
03-10-2018, 09:51 AM
PFF (I know, I know -- but it is a set of consistent numbers to use) graded him 64 out of 89 safeties in 2017.

So 32*2 =64. Does that mean Mitchell was the worst starting safety in the league last year? I'm actually shocked if that is the case. I mean I suspected that Mitchell (and Davis) were not good last year, but the worst starter in the league? That seems a bit much...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2018, 11:00 AM
PFF (I know, I know -- but it is a set of consistent numbers to use) graded him 64 out of 89 safeties in 2017.

So 32*2 =64. Does that mean Mitchell was the worst starting safety in the league last year? I'm actually shocked if that is the case. I mean I suspected that Mitchell (and Davis) were not good last year, but the worst starter in the league? That seems a bit much...

I'm not shocked at all. When did you actually watch a Steelers game in the past 2 seasons and say to yourself....."Mitchell had a really good game" or " sure glad Mitchell was there to make that play" ?

Mike Mitchell has been stealing money and just taking up a jersey space for a couple seasons, yet talking like he is a Pro Bowler. Hope they move on so somebody better can come in and play the position.

Fire Goodell
03-10-2018, 06:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc12qG01dpo