PDA

View Full Version : Recalibrating Steelers Draft Priorities

Mojouw
03-09-2018, 02:48 PM
So I keep seeing these mock drafts that have 3-4 ILBs going in the first round and 2-5 safeties. Which then makes it alarming to entertain the idea that the Steelers go with any other positions in that round. The logical inference being that by the time they address ILB and Safety in rounds 2,3 or 5 -- all the great prospects will be gone. This got me thinking.

So from 2007-2017 - there are only 1 draft where more than 2 ILBs went in the first (2007 with Willis, Timmons, and Beason).

During the same period of time 4 drafts had 3 or more safeties selected round 1 - 2017 (dams, Hooker, and Peppers), 2014 (Pryor, HaHa, and Jimmie Ward), 2013 (Vaccaro, Reid, and Elam), and 2010 (Berry, Thomas, and McCourty (technically a CB, but whatever)).

Know what does get selected? QBs, Edge rushers, OTs, and wide-outs.

Since most of us seem to have been thinking ILb/FS round 1, ILB/FS round 2, ??? round 3 -- I've wondered if the above "trends" shift anyones thinking?

Born2Steel
03-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Obviously everything depends on who is still on the board at pick28. I have a list of at least a few more than 28 players I believe to be worthy of our first round pick. Most are not ILBs OR Safeties. There are more than a few ILBs and Safeties on this list too though. I don't think the "trends" shift my thinking at all. Each draft has it's own flavor to me and I like to think of each as unique.

Mojouw
03-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Obviously everything depends on who is still on the board at pick28. I have a list of at least a few more than 28 players I believe to be worthy of our first round pick. Most are not ILBs OR Safeties. There are more than a few ILBs and Safeties on this list too though. I don't think the "trends" shift my thinking at all. Each draft has it's own flavor to me and I like to think of each as unique.

I can see that and would tend to agree. Perhaps, it is just shifting my thinking on who might be available at #28. I keep seeing these mock drafts that have 4 ILBs off the board before the Steelers pick. Then I look into it and that has NEVER happened. So then I go back to thinking that more than just 1 of those guys will "drop". Then I see draft scenarios that only have 1-2 OLB kinda guys going off the board in the first. Then I realize that that has NEVER happened and I wonder if they want to add to the position, does a guy I haven't thought of become possible - say Armstrong from Kansas because he simply won't be available in the 2nd. And then....

It is a fun time of year to think out the possibilities. I'm rarely ever correct though...

Born2Steel
03-10-2018, 11:02 AM
I can see that and would tend to agree. Perhaps, it is just shifting my thinking on who might be available at #28. I keep seeing these mock drafts that have 4 ILBs off the board before the Steelers pick. Then I look into it and that has NEVER happened. So then I go back to thinking that more than just 1 of those guys will "drop". Then I see draft scenarios that only have 1-2 OLB kinda guys going off the board in the first. Then I realize that that has NEVER happened and I wonder if they want to add to the position, does a guy I haven't thought of become possible - say Armstrong from Kansas because he simply won't be available in the 2nd. And then....

It is a fun time of year to think out the possibilities. I'm rarely ever correct though...

Nothing wrong with adding edge rushers, OL upgrades, offensive weapons, franchise QBs, lockdown DBs, or freak athlete LB/DL in the first round of any draft, IMO. When I make my list of players that I think are "draft worthy" at 28, I will probably have just as many on one side of the ball as the other. To me it's all about the player in the first round. Everyone can be upgraded. That just makes better depth, making a better team.

st33lersguy
03-10-2018, 12:16 PM
If anything this increases the chances of bpa being ilb or s. I get pass rusher, but they need maybe one backup ot, which can be had in day 3. They need maybe a no. 4 wide receiver to fill in for Eli if he can't play. Considering Eli had 18 receptions for 149 yards as a no. 4 wr, you can get that kind of production in the 7th round or for vet minimum. As for qb, I don't see the position providing value the first 2 rounds and with Ben expressing desire to play 3 more years, it's not worth it to reach at the position. Only if a potential franchise guy provides great value at the time of the draft slot

Born2Steel
03-10-2018, 01:04 PM
If anything this increases the chances of bpa being ilb or s. I get pass rusher, but they need maybe one backup ot, which can be had in day 3. They need maybe a no. 4 wide receiver to fill in for Eli if he can't play. Considering Eli had 18 receptions for 149 yards as a no. 4 wr, you can get that kind of production in the 7th round or for vet minimum. As for qb, I don't see the position providing value the first 2 rounds and with Ben expressing desire to play 3 more years, it's not worth it to reach at the position. Only if a potential franchise guy provides great value at the time of the draft slot

Mostly true. What if you are not drafting for a backup role? Foster? Pouncey has 2 years left on his contract I think. Bryant may not get resigned after this season. Somebody WILL be brought in to play DL. Don't always look to add depth with the draft. Upgrade and let your starting player become the depth. Improve the team. There is ALWAYS value in the first round at every position group.

st33lersguy
03-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Mostly true. What if you are not drafting for a backup role? Foster? Pouncey has 2 years left on his contract I think. Bryant may not get resigned after this season. Somebody WILL be brought in to play DL. Don't always look to add depth with the draft. Upgrade and let your starting player become the depth. Improve the team. There is ALWAYS value in the first round at every position group.

At the same time, you don't want to spend a first round pick stashing a player at an area of strength when you have gaping holes elsewhere. That doesn't usually work well, particularly for a team in win-now mode

Born2Steel
03-10-2018, 09:05 PM
At the same time, you don't want to spend a first round pick stashing a player at an area of strength when you have gaping holes elsewhere. That doesn't usually work well, particularly for a team in win-now mode

Let's be real. ALL teams are in "win now mode".
I get your point, I honestly do. However, where we differ in draft philosophy is that I take the best player on the board at 28. If Nelson falls to 28, and he would need to play behind Foster for a year, I would still consider taking him at 28. I know we have a dire need for an ILB, but that may or may not be the pick, even if the best ILB in the draft is sitting there, depending on who else is still on the board. In my way of approaching the draft, we are not ONLY picking for a need today, but building a better TEAM for tomorrow. There will be good players at position of need later in the draft. Especially in the first round you select guys that are going to be your star players. You want to get the next AB, Ben, TP43, Shazier, Mean Joe, the guys you build a dynasty with.