PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Feelings About ILBs Suggest They’re Going To Add In Free Agency, Not Draft

Shoes
02-28-2018, 01:19 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) FEBRUARY 28, 2018 AT 01:35 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers always like to play things close to the vest. Reporters won’t pry out much information out of Mike Tomlin or Kevin Colbert about their offseason plans. But usually, they drop some nugget of information, some indication, of where they’re headed.
Based off what I heard today, when the Steelers look for inside linebacker help, it’ll come through free agency. Not the draft.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-feelings-ilbs-suggest-theyre-going-add-free-agency-not-draft/

SteelerFanInStl
02-28-2018, 01:40 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) FEBRUARY 28, 2018 AT 01:35 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers always like to play things close to the vest. Reporters won’t pry out much information out of Mike Tomlin or Kevin Colbert about their offseason plans. But usually, they drop some nugget of information, some indication, of where they’re headed.
Based off what I heard today, when the Steelers look for inside linebacker help, it’ll come through free agency. Not the draft.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-feelings-ilbs-suggest-theyre-going-add-free-agency-not-draft/

I think that we will still need to add someone through the draft but they can be taken as a mid round pick if we sign a top FA ILB (not Timmons). I'd be pretty happy with Bradham, Williamson or Hitchens.

st33lersguy
02-28-2018, 01:43 PM
They need both

Craic
02-28-2018, 03:04 PM
I think that we will still need to add someone through the draft but they can be taken as a mid round pick if we sign a top FA ILB (not Timmons). I'd be pretty happy with Bradham, Williamson or Hitchens.

I noticed you listed two OLBs. Are you thinking of moving Watt inside, or do you think Bradham or Hitchens can slip into the ILB position?

BlackAndGold
02-28-2018, 03:17 PM
They need both

I expect both.

SteelerFanInStl
02-28-2018, 03:56 PM
I noticed you listed two OLBs. Are you thinking of moving Watt inside, or do you think Bradham or Hitchens can slip into the ILB position?

I listed the 3 that the article was talking about. Everything that I've read seems to indicate that all have the skill set to play the Mack in a 3-4.

Fire Goodell
03-02-2018, 11:10 AM
The Steelers' window to win a championship is closing, and next year is their best bet. ILB is a major weakness on the defense, and if they want to win next year, they need someone they can plug and play. 3 options for this - Trade up and draft the top ILB prospect, hope a top ILB drops to us at our draft position, or sign one in FA. Signing one in FA works in the sense that a seasoned veteran with real experience is going to give you more of an immediate impact than a rookie will.

For the long term though I wouldn't be against both spending a rd. 1-3 pick on an ILB while filling the hole through FA. We need depth there, and I don't think Matakevich is fast enough to be the backup mack. The lack of depth killed us, the defense was a shell of itself after Shazier went down.

Neversatisfied
03-03-2018, 01:49 PM
My issue with drafting a LB has to due with recent success or lack there of. I'd much rather the organization add through FA and I'll explain. The Steelers have drafted early and often (recently) at the LB position and what do to show for it? Ryan Shaker and that's it, Watt may turn out to be a stud but it's way to early to tell. The number of swing and misses with the current coaching/ FO staff is staggering. Consider bringing in players through FA and focusing on a Safety or QB in rounds 1 and 2. The Steelers are in dire need of a game changer at the safety position. As for QB consider the current situation, you've got a 36 year old QB who is in a mental struggle week to week in regards to retirement and I don't blame the guy given his age and lengthy injury history. Landry Jones is a career backup who is incredibly inconsistent and is not the answer. Josh Dobbs was a reach where he was picked, spent most of the year injured and is a running QB not a pocket passer which is what the team is built and coached for . I'd love to see this team trade up in the draft take Ben's successor in the 1st and pick a solid Saftey in the 2nd.

Mojouw
03-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Jarvis Jones is a miss.

Bud Dupree is not a double digit sack monster, but he will play 10 years in the NFL. I mean Barkevious Mingo still gets work!

So, who else is a miss at LB? Zo Jackson, that was a coaching staff ago. Feeney? Injuries got him, same with Spence.

teegre
03-03-2018, 04:01 PM
The Steelers met with Rashaan Evans... and also with Shaun Dion Hamilton.

For those of us who felt that the Steelers would double-dip at ILB...

R1: Evans
R4: Hamilton

BlackAndGold
03-03-2018, 04:03 PM
The Steelers met with Rashaan Evans... and also with Shaun Dion Hamilton.

For those of us who felt that the Steelers would double-dip at ILB...

R1: Evans
R4: Hamilton

Even though they don't have a 4th rounder(early 5th) I like it.

teegre
03-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Even though they don't have a 4th rounder(early 5th) I like it.

:doh: :lol:

Hamilton was amaaazing before his injury. If he can fully recover, he’d be a steal (in R5).

pczach
03-03-2018, 04:10 PM
My issue with drafting a LB has to due with recent success or lack there of. I'd much rather the organization add through FA and I'll explain. The Steelers have drafted early and often (recently) at the LB position and what do to show for it? Ryan Shaker and that's it, Watt may turn out to be a stud but it's way to early to tell. The number of swing and misses with the current coaching/ FO staff is staggering. Consider bringing in players through FA and focusing on a Safety or QB in rounds 1 and 2. The Steelers are in dire need of a game changer at the safety position. As for QB consider the current situation, you've got a 36 year old QB who is in a mental struggle week to week in regards to retirement and I don't blame the guy given his age and lengthy injury history. Landry Jones is a career backup who is incredibly inconsistent and is not the answer. Josh Dobbs was a reach where he was picked, spent most of the year injured and is a running QB not a pocket passer which is what the team is built and coached for . I'd love to see this team trade up in the draft take Ben's successor in the 1st and pick a solid Saftey in the 2nd.

The front office has so many swings and misses that they were 13-3 and a game away from the AFC championship game. There are exactly 31 teams that would trade their team's last 20 years of history for it.

The quarterback that is in "a mental struggle week to week" just smoked the Jaguar #1 pass defense that averaged giving up 169 yards a game to the tune of almost 500 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Why all the doom and gloom? They are a player or two away from the Super Bowl, and if it weren't for injuries the last two years...they may have already gotten there.

You say you want to move up in the draft which involves giving up many draft picks for a quarterback. Which quarterback do you think they should trade away their future to get?

They are so close to winning now, and you want to waste the last few years of Ben's career to get a guy that may not be able to play? I just don't understand fans like you that demand so much of the team and claim they fail so much....yet want to do things that basically guarantee that the team can't win now.

BlackAndGold
03-03-2018, 04:12 PM
:doh: :lol:

Hamilton was amaaazing before his injury. If he can fully recover, he’d be a steal (in R5).

They also met with LVE, Malik Jackson, and Jerome Baker

Lets say they take care of safety position via FA I'd like to see them go back-to-back at ILB.

Round 1:Evans/LVE
Round 2: Baker.

teegre
03-03-2018, 04:16 PM
They also met with LVE, Malik Jackson, and Jerome Baker

Lets say they take care of safety position via FA I'd like to see them go back-to-back at ILB.

Round 1:Evans/LVE
Round 2: Baker.

I hadn’t heard about those three. Very nice. #mancrushLVE

I see your point, but I’d go ILB & TE.

Born2Steel
03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
From Ryan Shazier's draft profile on NFL.com
WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal size and bulk. Still developing eyes and instincts -- will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road. Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill. Prone to overaggressiveness -- occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain. Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender. Took some time to acclimate before making an impact.

From Leight Vander Esch's draft profile on NFL.com
WEAKNESSES Has just one year of starting experience. Still filling out his frame. Play strength has room for improvement. Has some struggles in taking on blocks and will get washed away by down blocks. Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate. Takes himself out of tackle opportunities by attacking iso-blocks and lead blocks with a shoulder. At times, will over pursue or run himself out of position in attempt to play fast and avoid having to deal with blockers.

Fairly similar at this point......

hawaiiansteeler
03-03-2018, 05:30 PM

you're Neversatisfied...

Neversatisfied
03-03-2018, 05:55 PM
The front office has so many swings and misses that they were 13-3 and a game away from the AFC championship game. There are exactly 31 teams that would trade their team's last 20 years of history for it.

The quarterback that is in "a mental struggle week to week" just smoked the Jaguar #1 pass defense that averaged giving up 169 yards a game to the tune of almost 500 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Why all the doom and gloom? They are a player or two away from the Super Bowl, and if it weren't for injuries the last two years...they may have already gotten there.

You say you want to move up in the draft which involves giving up many draft picks for a quarterback. Which quarterback do you think they should trade away their future to get?

They are so close to winning now, and you want to waste the last few years of Ben's career to get a guy that may not be able to play? I just don't understand fans like you that demand so much of the team and claim they fail so much....yet want to do things that basically guarantee that the team can't win now.

This team enjoys it's success due mostly to a great offense. The run defense is past porous. As for Ben, yes he still has it but do the Steelers wait to find a replacement after Ben retires? I really hope not. As for Ben having a "few more years" I think that's wishful thinking. This year's draft has a large number of very good QBs and 2 that the Steelers have met with, I believe it was Kevin Colbert who said not to rule out the possibility of drafting a QB in the 1st round

- - - Updated - - -

you're Neversatisfied...

Very true

teegre
03-03-2018, 06:46 PM
From Ryan Shazier's draft profile on NFL.com
WEAKNESSES

Lacks ideal size and bulk. Still developing eyes and instincts -- will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road. Gets caught in traffic or engulfed by larger blockers when he hesitates to step downhill. Prone to overaggressiveness -- occasionally overruns plays or loses cutback contain. Could stand to improve his eyes, awareness, anticipation and reactions as a zone defender. Took some time to acclimate before making an impact.

From Leight Vander Esch's draft profile on NFL.com
WEAKNESSES

Has just one year of starting experience. Still filling out his frame. Play strength has room for improvement. Has some struggles in taking on blocks and will get washed away by down blocks. Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate. Takes himself out of tackle opportunities by attacking iso-blocks and lead blocks with a shoulder. At times, will over pursue or run himself out of position in attempt to play fast and avoid having to deal with blockers.

Fairly similar at this point......

Interesting... because, Shazier was a speed guy, whereas LVE is a size/weigh freak.

Born2Steel
03-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Interesting... because, Shazier was a speed guy, whereas LVE is a size/weigh freak.

Points I found interesting:
1. Lacks ideal size and bulk/still filling out his frame
2. Gets caught in traffic.../Has some struggles in taking on blocks
3. Occasionally overruns plays.../Will over pursue or run himself out of position
4. Took some time to acclimate before making an impact/Play strength has room for improvement. Hasn't learned to use hands effectively to punch and separate.

LVE's play speed is going to mean a lot between a 1st/2nd round guy, or a 3rd/4th round guy. Interested to see his cone and shuttle numbers compared to Shazier's.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/What-combine-drills-matter-for-each-position-group-35723655

Mojouw
03-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Just for the record because the rewriting of history and facts that goes on around draft time and the yearly off-season yelling threads ticks me off. Here are the Tomlin/Colbert duo's draft picks at LB:

http://pfref.com/tiny/eyhZk - 19 LBs or DE to OLB converts taken since 2007.

Here are the "bad" picks:
Feeney (injury)
Zumwalt (injury)
Jarvis Jones
Spence (injury)
Chris Carter
Thad Gibson
Stevenson Sylvester
Bruce Davis
Mike Humpal
9 out of 19 (47%) that were below the line in the NFL and only one of those was in the first round.

The other 2 most controversial LB picks, Dupree and Worilds can be argued to be a "success" despite most Steelers fans animosity towards them for not being more dominant players. Dupree, even at his current level, will find work in the NFL for the next 3-5 years as a starter or top 14 guy in a defense. Not great for the first round, but not a total failure either. WOrilds would've ended up as one of the highest paid pass rushers in the game if he hadn't retired. Now, we all know that his stats over-rated him, but again, he was hardly a total bust as a 2nd round pick.

So one first round swing and miss (Jones), one first round single rather than a homer (Dupree) and 5 whiffs in later rounds combined with 3 foul outs (the injured folks).

Who is doing it better? You all can google as well as I can. Find me this mythical team that is just nailing over 50% of ALL its LB picks and I'll back off.

teegre
03-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Worilds can be argued to be a "success" despite most Steelers fans animosity towards them for not being more dominant players.

:nod:

Justin Houston was the cream of the OLB crop n the 2010 draft. The OLB with the second-most sacks from that draft.... Jashom Worlididdy

Neversatisfied
03-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Just for the record because the rewriting of history and facts that goes on around draft time and the yearly off-season yelling threads ticks me off. Here are the Tomlin/Colbert duo's draft picks at LB:

http://pfref.com/tiny/eyhZk - 19 LBs or DE to OLB converts taken since 2007.

Here are the "bad" picks:
Feeney (injury)
Zumwalt (injury)
Jarvis Jones
Spence (injury)
Chris Carter
Thad Gibson
Stevenson Sylvester
Bruce Davis
Mike Humpal
9 out of 19 (47%) that were below the line in the NFL and only one of those was in the first round.

The other 2 most controversial LB picks, Dupree and Worilds can be argued to be a "success" despite most Steelers fans animosity towards them for not being more dominant players. Dupree, even at his current level, will find work in the NFL for the next 3-5 years as a starter or top 14 guy in a defense. Not great for the first round, but not a total failure either. WOrilds would've ended up as one of the highest paid pass rushers in the game if he hadn't retired. Now, we all know that his stats over-rated him, but again, he was hardly a total bust as a 2nd round pick.

So one first round swing and miss (Jones), one first round single rather than a homer (Dupree) and 5 whiffs in later rounds combined with 3 foul outs (the injured folks).

Who is doing it better? You all can google as well as I can. Find me this mythical team that is just nailing over 50% of ALL its LB picks and I'll back off.

With all of what you've posted remind me what the Current LB situation is for the Steelers is? The Steelers had to rely on Harrison (The most productive LB) and now the Steelers have Watt and Dupree to lead them into 2018. My point is the Steelers put a ton of effort into LB and have little to show for it

Mojouw
03-04-2018, 05:22 PM
With all of what you've posted remind me what the Current LB situation is for the Steelers is? The Steelers had to rely on Harrison (The most productive LB) and now the Steelers have Watt and Dupree to lead them into 2018. My point is the Steelers put a ton of effort into LB and have little to show for it

Huh? They didn't rely on Harrison at all. They relied on him so little that he pissed and moaned his way off the roster.

Dupree/Watt/Chickillo/Adams are likely the top 4 on the edge. All drafted and developed by the team.

Shazier/VW/Matekevich should be the top 3 inside - again all drafted and developed by the team.

Tomlin and Colbert can not be faulted for one of the best ILBs in the NFL suffering a catastrophic injury.

They can be faulted for the lack of depth at the ILB position, something everyone has debated, discussed, and posted on at length for the past year. Something with which I agree.

But to argue that they have had a lack of success is almost ludicrous.

53% of their LB picks have turned into viable NFL roster spots. Their entire LB corps is drafted or UDFA's players.

Again, it looks bad because a drafted player just entering the prime of his career that was already one of the 15 most impactful defenders in the league and on his way to being one of the 5-6 most impactful defensive players can't walk let alone play NFL football.

Don't forget that Chris Carter was on a roster and played in the NFL last year. It isn't like other teams have these amazing situations either. As for little to show for it they have the following:

Shazier - injured but one of the 3-5 best MLBs in football. DPOY candidate if he would've stayed healthy. That still counts for results in the draft.
Watt - emerging pass rush and coverage force. Universally regarded as a solid first round pick.
Dupree - average OLB starter. Disappointing so far, but he can hold a side down in the modern NFL.
VW - starting MLB that needs taken of the field in passing situations from the 6th round.
Chickillo - adequate back-up piece from the 6th round
Matekevich - special teams maven from the 7th round
Adams - looked like he could rush the passer at the NFL level prior to being injured and was a 7th round selection

I mean what is it that you are actually wanting?