PDA

View Full Version : Kozora: Steelers Free Agent Wishlist (Defense)

Shoes
02-26-2018, 07:50 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) FEBRUARY 26, 2018 AT 09:30 AM
2018 free agency is just a few weeks away. We know the Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t in the greatest cap situation but they still could make a couple signings. As is their norm, don’t expect big-names to sign here, but there’s still players who may be available as cheap, depth signings I would like to see the team have interest in. You saw the offense earlier. Here’s the defense.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/kozora-steelers-free-agent-wishlist-defense/

teegre
02-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Speaking of a Buccaneers safety...

Isn’t TJ Ward now a free agent, too?

Mojouw
02-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Speaking of a Buccaneers safety...

Isn’t TJ Ward now a free agent, too?

Does he help though? I mean I guess if Sean Davis can play free safety and TJ Ward from a few years ago can serve as in the box strong safety.

But that TJ Ward hasn't been seen on an NFL field in arguably 2 seasons and at 31 I wouldn't be confident about a resurgence.

Honestly, I would rather roll the dice with Wilcox as depth/fringe starter than Ward at this point in their respective careers.

BlackAndGold
02-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Wasn't Ward benched?

I want Boston if they sign a FA safety.

Shoes
02-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Wasn't Ward benched?

I want Boston if they sign a FA safety.

:nod:

teegre
02-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Does he help though? I mean I guess if Sean Davis can play free safety and TJ Ward from a few years ago can serve as in the box strong safety.

But that TJ Ward hasn't been seen on an NFL field in arguably 2 seasons and at 31 I wouldn't be confident about a resurgence.

Honestly, I would rather roll the dice with Wilcox as depth/fringe starter than Ward at this point in their respective careers.

Clarification:
My query was more of a "I wonder..." than a "We should go get..."

Because, the article says that there are very few free agent safeties available, but by my accounts, there are actually quite a few:

-Lamarcus Joyner
-Kenny Vaccaro
-Eric Reid
-Morgan Burnett
-Tre Boston
-Kurt Coleman
-Keith Tandy
-TJ Ward

Regardless, as others have stated here, and I have mentioned in another thread (one of the many threads about safeties), Tre Boston makes a ton of sense. He is young, and an upgrade over Mitchell. What should also be noted is that once Coleman was cut by the Panthers, their fans were saying things such as "Can we get Boston back???"... which is a good sign (about Boston's abilities).

Mojouw
02-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Clarification:
My query was more of a "I wonder..." than a "We should go get..."

Because, the article says that there are very few free agent safeties available, but by my accounts, there are actually quite a few:

-Lamarcus Joyner
-Kenny Vaccaro
-Eric Reid
-Morgan Burnett
-Tre Boston
-Kurt Coleman
-Keith Tandy
-TJ Ward

Regardless, as others have stated here, and I have mentioned in another thread (one of the many threads about safeties), Tre Boston makes a ton of sense. He is young, and an upgrade over Mitchell. What should also be noted is that once Coleman was cut by the Panthers, their fans were saying things such as "Can we get Boston back???"... which is a good sign (about Boston's abilities).

I totally agree with that. I mentioned it on one of the many threads touching on this, that I just am almost always against signing outside free agents after about 30+. Just paying for name recognition and past performance at that point. Internal guys, the issue gets a bit murkier.

Tre Boston scares the heck out of me as a FA signing. He had a couple of "meh" years in Carolina. Then he pops up on the open market and wisely takes the offer that gives him the best chance to start. Kid bets on himself and wins big-time. Has a good year and now it is going to pay off somewhere.

That sounds alot like Mike Mitchell. Had some okayish seasons for the Raiders. Plays on a one year prove it deal with the Panthers and does really well. Pops on the open market and Steelers sign him. Never been as good as hoped for and never as bad as claimed.

Is Boston the same kinda thing, or is he maturing into a consistent and steady playmaker?

Born2Steel
02-27-2018, 03:07 PM
I have done just the bare minimum research on the safeties at this point. I was thinking moving 205lb Davis to FS and putting a bigger safety in the SS role might be the way to go. In my short look though it seems Davis is really best qualified to stay at SS. His cover skills seem to be lacking and the only reason he played any CB was due to injury and he was the next man up. Not really his gig, he is primarily a box safety. With this in mind, I am fully on board with sticking to getting a FS in FA and trying to upgrade the SS in the draft. What thoughts on that? I mean the part about Davis, FA, and the draft.

teegre
02-27-2018, 09:33 PM
I totally agree with that. I mentioned it on one of the many threads touching on this, that I just am almost always against signing outside free agents after about 30+. Just paying for name recognition and past performance at that point. Internal guys, the issue gets a bit murkier.

Tre Boston scares the heck out of me as a FA signing. He had a couple of "meh" years in Carolina. Then he pops up on the open market and wisely takes the offer that gives him the best chance to start. Kid bets on himself and wins big-time. Has a good year and now it is going to pay off somewhere.

That sounds alot like Mike Mitchell. Had some okayish seasons for the Raiders. Plays on a one year prove it deal with the Panthers and does really well. Pops on the open market and Steelers sign him. Never been as good as hoped for and never as bad as claimed.

Is Boston the same kinda thing, or is he maturing into a consistent and steady playmaker?

The question with Boston is...

Was he a one-year wonder, during a contract year, a la Albert Haynesworth? Or, is he James Farrior (a late bloomer)???

Mojouw
02-27-2018, 10:17 PM
The question with Boston is...

Was he a one-year wonder, during a contract year, a la Albert Haynesworth? Or, is he James Farrior (a late bloomer)???

I’m counting on you to make the call. Not sure I watched a single Chargers snap this year.

teegre
02-27-2018, 10:20 PM
I’m counting on you to make the call. Not sure I watched a single Chargers snap this year.

Once they moved... neither did I.

(My best friend converted to being a Browns fan.)

hawaiiansteeler
03-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Bears release DE/OLB Pernell McPhee

Several players were cut Monday, Feb. 26, including Kurt Coleman and Charles Johnson. The best of the bench is Pernell McPhee, who can still produce when healthy. He registered 14 sacks for Chicago in three seasons, but struggled to stay on the field, missing 12 games and playing hurt in many others. Still, McPhee is worth obtaining for a cheap, "prove it" contract, as he can be a solid contributor if he can avoid injuries.

Here are some teams that could sign McPhee, who should remain in a 3-4 as an outside rusher:

Los Angeles Rams: The Rams seem like a great fit for McPhee. They need an edge rusher to start across from Robert Quinn, as Connor Barwin was a disappointment this past season. Los Angeles seems ready to make a Super Bowl push, and perhaps McPhee is the one missing piece the team needs.

Green Bay Packers: The Packers could use some depth at edge rusher, as Clay Matthews is another player who has battled injuries over the past several seasons.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Pittsburgh lost a veteran edge rusher in James Harrison, so here's another one to help boost the defense.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpossibilities.php

Shoes
03-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Demarco Murray will be looking for a job. He seems to have fizzled out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/08/titans-will-release-demarco-murray/

Mojouw
03-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Yeah. Rumors about washed up veterans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
03-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Demarco Murray will be looking for a job. He seems to have fizzled out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/08/titans-will-release-demarco-murray/

If Derrick Henry wasn’t in the picture, I’m pretty confident that the Titans wouldn’t have cut Murray.