PDA

View Full Version : A Lawrence Timmons Reunion Wouldn’t Fix Steelers Problems

Shoes
02-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Agreed, say no to Timmons!

BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) FEBRUARY 24, 2018 AT 09:30 AM
I’m not going to rule out the possibility of a Lawrence Timmons reunion. We’ve seen these things before in Pittsburgh. William Gay and Bryant McFadden going elsewhere before returning comes to mind. But should Timmons return? That’s a much easier answer.
No way.
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/lawrence-timmons-reunion-wouldnt-fix-steelers-problems/

teegre
02-24-2018, 10:11 AM
As a starter: no

As a backup: he’s waaay better than Spence

DesertSteel
02-24-2018, 10:39 AM
Backup money? Most definitely.

teegre
02-24-2018, 10:43 AM
As FireArians used to say (in every thread) over at Steelers Fever:

One year, vet minimum

st33lersguy
02-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Bring him back. He's familiar with the system, he'd provide much needed depth, and he'd still be better than any ilb currently on the team not named vince Williams

Craic
02-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Bring him back. He's familiar with the system, he'd provide much needed depth, and he'd still be better than any ilb currently on the team not named vince Williams

Exactly.

And not only that, but he could come on the field and pretty much immediately take over calling plays if he needed to as well. That kind of leadership is hard to deny.

steelreserve
02-24-2018, 01:18 PM
We're not missing one guy at ILB, we're missing two. Shaker, and the guy who was supposed to back up Shazier but instead we had junk.

Shoes
02-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Nope, wouldn't touch him and I don't think the Steelers will either.

tube517
02-24-2018, 04:37 PM
:vetmin: :chuckle:

As Tiger said,

Only for depth. I'd rather see 2 ILB's drafted

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2018, 07:32 PM
Nope, wouldn't touch him and I don't think the Steelers will either.

I'm afraid that the Steelers will bring him back. I'd rather see a different FA LB signed but Timmons will probably be cheaper and you know how the Steelers love to bring back ex Steelers.

I don't think that it's a terrible idea but I don't like the sound of a starting duo of VW and Timmons for next season.

Hawkman
02-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Have the Fins even released him yet. Isn’t he under contract through this year?

Shoes
02-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Have the Fins even released him yet. Isn’t he under contract through this year?

I believe it is expected.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2018/2/23/17043024/lawrence-timmons-expected-to-be-released-by-the-dolphins-but-do-the-steelers-want-him-free-agency

Craic
02-24-2018, 10:24 PM
I'm afraid that the Steelers will bring him back. I'd rather see a different FA LB signed but Timmons will probably be cheaper and you know how the Steelers love to bring back ex Steelers.

I don't think that it's a terrible idea but I don't like the sound of a starting duo of VW and Timmons for next season.
I honestly love that idea more than VW and ____ Rookie expecting lightning to strike twice in the LB drafting department. We'd be better off bringing in another LB in FA, but with the contract money we're out, we just can't do it this year.

BlackAndGold
02-25-2018, 12:09 AM
He would fix the depth problem.

Fire Goodell
02-25-2018, 12:16 AM
As FireArians used to say (in every thread) over at Steelers Fever:

One year, vet minimum

:chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
02-25-2018, 07:12 AM
I honestly love that idea more than VW and ____ Rookie expecting lightning to strike twice in the LB drafting department. We'd be better off bringing in another LB in FA, but with the contract money we're out, we just can't do it this year.

I'm OK with it as long as we still use a top draft pick to get an ILB. That would give the rookie some time to get acclimated before getting thrown in there. I just don't have expectations of the defense being that good with those two starting.

pczach
02-25-2018, 09:19 AM
I'm OK with it as long as we still use a top draft pick to get an ILB. That would give the rookie some time to get acclimated before getting thrown in there. I just don't have expectations of the defense being that good with those two starting.

I agree.

I'm all for getting Timmons, but only if they make it clear to him that they are looking to upgrade the position by getting younger and more athletic. They don't need any more James Harrison situations or additional drama in the locker room.

Timmons would be a short term help, but not the answer to their problem. They still need to draft ILB talent IMO. Timmons would then eventually become very good depth and strengthen the position.

Craic
02-25-2018, 10:02 AM

I agree. Let Timmons start and let the rookie push for playing time until he overtakes Timmons. I'm completely okay with that.

teegre
02-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Let’s not forget...

Lawrence Timmons is Tomlin’s favorite player.

pczach
02-25-2018, 10:54 AM
I agree. Let Timmons start and let the rookie push for playing time until he overtakes Timmons. I'm completely okay with that.

And just to make it clear. If Timmons gets signed and they draft an ILB that shows he should play immediately.....the rookie should start. If Timmons is better than Vince Williams.....Timmons and the rookie should start. The best players should be on the field.

Either way, the talent level and the depth of the position will be stronger.

tube517
02-25-2018, 02:10 PM
And just to make it clear. If Timmons gets signed and they draft an ILB that shows he should play immediately.....the rookie should start. If Timmons is better than Vince Williams.....Timmons and the rookie should start. The best players should be on the field.

Either way, the talent level and the depth of the position will be stronger.

Just don't ask Law-dog to sit through long meetings and expect him to be a "mentor" or promise him playing time. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
02-25-2018, 02:57 PM
ILB is in dire need that they will need multiple ILBs. He may not be the difinitive solution and they still will need more solutions, but he can be part of the solution, and he can improve the weak ILB corp

Born2Steel
02-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Timmons and VW at ILB is better than anything we have had there since Shazier went down. Is he the long term answer, hell no, but he is the BEST option as a stop gap for a year until the new draft pick(s) get acclimated.

Craic
02-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Just don't ask Law-dog to sit through long meetings and expect him to be a "mentor" or promise him playing time. :chuckle:

See, Tomlin just can't win without Cowher's players . . . er, wait a second . . .

tube517
03-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Shoes
03-12-2018, 01:29 PM
He’s as slow as Spence. No thanks, enough of the retreads.

steelreserve
03-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Mark my words, this guy will be on our roster by 4:01 p.m. on March 14th.

He's not the answer to our problems, but he's better depth than Spence or Moats, so still an improvement. And since the Dolphins will still be paying most of his salary, we can probably get him for the bare minimum.

FrancoLambert
03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
As many have already mentioned....as a backup only.......vet minimum........much better than Moats and Spence (who I doubt will be picked up by anybody).

But, if it ever came down to Timmons and Binchenzo holding down the middle together, we're in big trouble. Run stuffers for sure but neither can cover.

Rotorhead
03-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Well, if you recall during the Jacksonville game, the run destroyed us . . . so theres that

Dwinsgames
03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
great depth ... but we need someone with wings on their shoes and a bulldog mentality .... Timmons doesnt have wings and I am not sure how much bulldog he has at this point either ...that said he knows the system , and for 10-15 snaps a game to keep him fresh he can be effective ( if he isnt asked to cover anyone ) but lets not confuse him as the answer to our ILB problems because well ... he is not

steelreserve
03-12-2018, 06:37 PM
The way I look at it is, our odds of finding one guy better than Timmons between now and September are pretty high ... our odds of finding two guys better than Timmons (who are both ready to play) are a lot less so, unless we expend a lot of resources. For backup duty, Timmons on the field would be a step down from Shazier-Williams, but not quite the disaster of Spence/Fort/Moats-Williams. And don't forget we could use a backup for Williams too. Our backups for him are the same three guys. Williams to Timmons would not be a dramatic step down at all.

Born2Steel
03-12-2018, 07:00 PM
I see our ILB problem is not with VW, Red, and Fort. All play their positions well for what they are asked to do. The problem is we don't have that sideline to sideline ILB that can turn and cover players down the field(Shazier). Those 3 guys are basically the same player at different skill levels. Timmons would bring more of the same, IMO. The reason we let him walk in the first place is because he became a liability in coverages. We have 3 'solid' ILBs, we need 1 dominant defender to put with them. That's just not who Timmons is today.