PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could trade Bryant to Packers for Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Shoes
02-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a BS article to me.

Martavis Bryant (https://247sports.com/Player/Martavis-Bryant-1450) and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix could be swapping teams in the next several weeks.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-could-trade-Martavis-Bryant-to-Green-Bay-Packers-for-Ha-Ha-Clinton-Dix-115465005

tube517
02-23-2018, 01:33 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kdOPBP9vuZA/hqdefault.jpg

steelreserve
02-23-2018, 01:41 PM
I've always thought that guy had a funny name. Sound like something you'd say to Hillary supporters the day after the election.

On topic: This could make sense for us if we are about to dump Mitchell, even more sense since this guy is younger and potentially a long-term replacement for the same money this year. Although there is the issue to consider of what he'll want in his next contract. But that would've been the same issue with Mitchell, and the same with Bryant.

But yes, it seems like this article is based on nothing more than random speculation ... I can see a potential upside for us, but less so for the Packers.

One thing that may have some truth to it: Bryant could well be on the trading block, meaning that we aren't interested in keeping him past next year anyway. It's not like anyone has come out and said "No, we're not even listening to these offers" or "These stories are nonsense entirely." Who the hell knows if there are any offers or how serious they are, though.

Shoes
02-23-2018, 01:43 PM
I've always thought that guy had a funny name. Sound like something you'd say to Hillary supporters the day after the election.

On topic: This could make sense for us if we are about to dump Mitchell, even more sense since this guy is younger and potentially a long-term replacement for the same money this year. Although there is the issue to consider of what he'll want in his next contract. But that would've been the same issue with Mitchell, and the same with Bryant.

But yes, it seems like this article is based on nothing more than random speculation ... I can see a potential upside for us, but less so for the Packers.

One thing that may have some truth to it: Bryant could well be on the trading block, meaning that we aren't interested in keeping him past next year anyway. It's not like anyone has come out and said "No, we're not even listening to these offers" or "These stories are nonsense entirely." Who the hell knows if there are any offers or how serious they are, though.

That's what I was thinking, the Packers would want Bryant and a draft pick.

steelreserve
02-23-2018, 01:48 PM
That's what I was thinking, the Packers would want Bryant and a draft pick.

I mean, would they be interested in that trade at all? Their defense is what's been killing them for years, I just don't see them looking to trade away a good player to load up more on offense.

AtlantaDan
02-23-2018, 02:11 PM
I mean, would they be interested in that trade at all? Their defense is what's been killing them for years, I just don't see them looking to trade away a good player to load up more on offense.

The article is bullshit, for reasons including the fact that it contradicts its own unsubstantiated rumor with this observation

The Packers will likely need Clinton-Dix for the 2018 season since the team has a new defensive coordinator in Mike Pettine. Also, the Packers are on the verge of losing safety Morgan Burnett to free agency and Clinton-Dix will be the most experienced safety on the roster if that's the case.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-could-trade-Martavis-Bryant-to-Green-Bay-Packers-for-Ha-Ha-Clinton-Dix-115465005

SteelerFanInStl
02-23-2018, 02:47 PM

Yea, I don't see any reason whatsoever for the Packers to make that trade. They already have good WRs and their defense is bad.

hawaiiansteeler
02-23-2018, 03:05 PM
The article is bullshit, for reasons including the fact that it contradicts its own unsubstantiated rumor with this observation

The Packers will likely need Clinton-Dix for the 2018 season since the team has a new defensive coordinator in Mike Pettine. Also, the Packers are on the verge of losing safety Morgan Burnett to free agency and Clinton-Dix will be the most experienced safety on the roster if that's the case.

my thoughts exactly

teegre
02-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Bingo!!!

I read that exact paragraph and was like, “Uh... what???”

ALLD
02-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Maybe the Packers would trade Rogers for Bryant?

pczach
02-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Maybe the Packers would trade Rogers for Bryant?

Slide Ben out to TE and voila!

86WARD
02-25-2018, 05:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000000917389/Steelers-are-not-actively-seeking-trade-offers-for-Martavis-Bryant

Born2Steel
02-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Is Clinton-Dix better than a 4th round draft pick? If yes, then you would take the trade. Take the value while it has value. Bryant may become a very good WR in the league, AND he may 'flame out'. It's value vs potential, take the value.

Mojouw
02-26-2018, 01:05 PM
The article is hilarious. It is simply some blogger in desperate need of meeting a content quota literally making things up out of whole cloth. Several on here have approached the same central premise - trade Bryant before he walks anyways. But everything after that is just fantasy. Here are some other guys that MojoUW's sources (mostly my ass) tell him are options if the Steelers want to move on from Bryant:

1. Landon Collins - Tomlin liked him in the draft and ODB is an injury concern and need other playmakers in Eli's twilight.
2. The Entire Bears Draft - possibility for a Ricky Williams or Herschel Walker situation here. Trubisky needs weapons - any weapons.
3. Multiple Picks from the Bills - Totally devoid of legitimate NFL talent at the position. Rumbling that they make a serious effort to surround Taylor with weapons and contend now.
5. Malik Hooker - Colts concerned about injury risk and lack of recovery. Need to capitalize on Luck before his shoulder disintegrates. TY Hilton needs a complementary player - Moncrief far too inconsistent.

I mean you can play this nonsense out with any team in the league. Let's list the teams in the league that can NOT use a WR capable of 60-70 catches, 8-12 TDs, and 700-1200 yards in a season on a cheap rookie deal year. Okay ready here it is:

That's it. The whole list. Every team in the league could use a player like that. Problem is what do you give up for a drug suspension problem in the last year of their rookie deal with 1 good year and 1 "meh" year in the league? In the risk averse NFL - nothing. You give up nothing and hope the original team cuts the player loose or you can sign them in free agency after the 2018 season.

teegre
02-26-2018, 02:16 PM
The article is hilarious. It is simply some blogger in desperate need of meeting a content quota literally making things up out of whole cloth. Several on here have approached the same central premise - trade Bryant before he walks anyways. But everything after that is just fantasy. Here are some other guys that MojoUW's sources (mostly my ass) tell him are options if the Steelers want to move on from Bryant:

1. Landon Collins - Tomlin liked him in the draft and ODB is an injury concern and need other playmakers in Eli's twilight.
2. The Entire Bears Draft - possibility for a Ricky Williams or Herschel Walker situation here. Trubisky needs weapons - any weapons.
3. Multiple Picks from the Bills - Totally devoid of legitimate NFL talent at the position. Rumbling that they make a serious effort to surround Taylor with weapons and contend now.
5. Malik Hooker - Colts concerned about injury risk and lack of recovery. Need to capitalize on Luck before his shoulder disintegrates. TY Hilton needs a complementary player - Moncrief far too inconsistent.

I mean you can play this nonsense out with any team in the league. Let's list the teams in the league that can NOT use a WR capable of 60-70 catches, 8-12 TDs, and 700-1200 yards in a season on a cheap rookie deal year. Okay ready here it is:

That's it. The whole list. Every team in the league could use a player like that. Problem is what do you give up for a drug suspension problem in the last year of their rookie deal with 1 good year and 1 "meh" year in the league? In the risk averse NFL - nothing. You give up nothing and hope the original team cuts the player loose or you can sign them in free agency after the 2018 season.

But, this trade rumor is actually worse than that (logically), because it takes a need for the Packers (safety) and trades it away.

It would be like us trading away Vince Williams...

Mojouw
02-26-2018, 02:21 PM
But, this trade rumor is actually worse than that (logically), because it takes a need for the Packers (safety) and trades it away.

It would be like us trading away Vince Williams...

I heard we are going to trade away Ben R for a high end TE because that would be the final weapon this offense needs!

teegre
02-26-2018, 02:25 PM
I heard we are going to trade away Ben R for Nnamdi Asomugah

edited (circa 2010)

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2018, 03:51 PM
I heard we are going to trade away Ben R for a high end TE because that would be the final weapon this offense needs!

it's about time, Ben doesn't study enough film and isn't a good leader like Peyton is...

Born2Steel
02-26-2018, 06:39 PM
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know the story on Su'a Cravens? NFL.com has a 'rumor' the 'Skins may be releasing him after he just got reinstated. I don't know the story at all, but I was a fan of Cravens in that draft. What's going on with him?

steelreserve
02-26-2018, 06:49 PM
Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know the story on Su'a Cravens? NFL.com has a 'rumor' the 'Skins may be releasing him after he just got reinstated. I don't know the story at all, but I was a fan of Cravens in that draft. What's going on with him?

IIRC he had some serious concussion-related problems and was considering retirement. There may have been some other drama going on between him and the team.

I don't think it could do any harm to take a what-the-hell look at him, but I also wouldn't count on anything.

pczach
02-26-2018, 06:50 PM
it's about time, Ben doesn't study enough film and isn't a good leader like Peyton is...

Thank goodness Emmanuel Sanders got out of Pittsburgh and got a real leader. Poor Antonio Brown has had to suffer with Big Ben and dominate the NFL. Imagine how great AB would be if he had a good leader playing quarterback.

Born2Steel
02-26-2018, 07:04 PM
IIRC he had some serious concussion-related problems and was considering retirement. There may have been some other drama going on between him and the team.

I don't think it could do any harm to take a what-the-hell look at him, but I also wouldn't count on anything.

So basically he could be a decent FA signing(if actually released), or another Ladarius Green.

Mojouw
02-26-2018, 08:02 PM
So basically he could be a decent FA signing(if actually released), or another Ladarius Green.

Hasn't played football in over a year. History of severe concussions. Takes to social media to air issues with team and role. Has quit and unquit twice I think.

People would love this job d around here!

Born2Steel
02-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Hasn't played football in over a year. History of severe concussions. Takes to social media to air issues with team and role. Has quit and unquit twice I think.

I get that 'HELL NO' feeling from you on Cravens.

SteelerFanInStl
02-26-2018, 08:27 PM

Agreed. Lots of questions about whether or not he has the desire to play.

Mojouw
02-26-2018, 09:38 PM
I get that 'HELL NO' feeling from you on Cravens.

Not so much that as a “what’s the point?”

Cravens doesn’t have a true position in the NFL. And hasn’t played in year or so.

Something really soured the soup in DC. Now I’m totally willing to believe it’s all on the Redskins, that franchise sucks. But if “distractions” are such a monumental deal, Cravens does nothing to improve things.

teegre
02-27-2018, 06:37 AM
Add another mid-level safety to the free agent list:

Kurt Coleman

From what I’m reading on Panthers Twitter, they are happy and hoping that they bring Tre Boston back. So... that tells me that we should target Tre Boston (or, at least, have him above Coleman).

Mojouw
02-27-2018, 09:48 AM

Kurt Coleman

From what I’m reading on Panthers Twitter, they are happy and hoping that they bring Tre Boston back. So... that tells me that we should target Tre Boston (or, at least, have him above Coleman).

Not a bad idea. But I honestly would rather just keep Mitchell than sign some other 30+ roster cut from another team. That gives you all the bad of Mitchell (declining skills due to age, increased injury potential, mediocre on field performance) plus they have to learn the playbook as well? I mean at least between Mitchell and another seasoned veteran - Mike M knows the plays and the guys.

I think it is totally just my bias regarding NFL players coming through. Coleman and others are NOT bad options. I just would always prefer to find someone in the draft or a guy coming off a rookie deal and hope for the best than sign a guy to his 3rd NFL contract.

tube517
03-01-2018, 09:08 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/kevin-colbert-says-steelers-not-looking-trade-martavis-bryant/

Kevin Colbert Says Steelers Not Looking To Trade Martavis Bryant

“I can address this very efficiently, we have never, ever made one phone call offering Martavis Bryant for a trade,” Colbert said while in Indianapolis for the annual scouring combine. “Teams have inquired to us based on media reports about the possibility of us trading him and we have quickly dismissed those. Martavis is a Pittsburgh Steeler. We want him to continue to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

“He put together a great season last year. You know, a lot of kids don’t make it back from the one year suspension and he did and he did a lot of good things. He did a few things I think he regrets, you know, with the social media aspect of things, but he got through it. He finished great and we are absolutely not in the trade market. We’re not pursuing it and if anybody pursues us we quickly dismiss it.”

Craic
03-01-2018, 10:16 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/kevin-colbert-says-steelers-not-looking-trade-martavis-bryant/

Kevin Colbert Says Steelers Not Looking To Trade Martavis Bryant

That settles that . . . until the next reporter writes, "Despite what Kevin Colbert has said," and then repeats everything said up to this point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Kurt Coleman

That name has haunted me for years. I was on the bandwagon of drafting Coleman in the 5th round that year. I think he lasted until 7th round and has been a solid player for 9 years now. Not sure I'm that sold on bringing in a 9 year vet on the downside of his talent, but at this point I'd take him over Mitchell on a 2 year deal and draft somebody this season.

Fire Goodell
03-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Uh why would the packers do this? I mean I'm all for keeping Bryant but the Steelers would be clear winners of a trade like this

Trading a pro bowl safety for a not yet proven WR with big potential but a troubled past, when they are already pretty loaded at WR. Makes no sense for Green Bay tbh. Although I would be stoked about a trade like this, I gotta be a realist and be like "come on man" :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
03-02-2018, 04:10 PM
That name has haunted me for years. I was on the bandwagon of drafting Coleman in the 5th round that year. I think he lasted until 7th round and has been a solid player for 9 years now. Not sure I'm that sold on bringing in a 9 year vet on the downside of his talent, but at this point I'd take him over Mitchell on a 2 year deal and draft somebody this season.

the Bengals are reportedly very interested in signing Coleman...

Born2Steel
03-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Coleman signs with the Saints.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918907/article/safety-kurt-coleman-agrees-to-3year-deal-with-saints

hawaiiansteeler
03-04-2018, 07:26 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000918907/article/safety-kurt-coleman-agrees-to-3year-deal-with-saints

March 3 Updates

Saints sign S Kurt Coleman (3 years, $18 million): C Grade

The Saints are losing Kenny Vaccaro to free agency this offseason, so they had to properly replace him. They signed Kurt Coleman, and yet they still need to properly replace Vaccaro.

Coleman played at a high level during Carolina's Super Bowl run in 2015, but has struggled since. I actually listed safety as a big need for the Panthers before they cut Coleman, so this doesn't seem like a promising signing for New Orleans. Given that the Saints are overpaying Coleman - he probably should've gotten half as much - this grade can't be a good one.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Mojouw
03-04-2018, 07:59 PM
March 3 Updates

Saints sign S Kurt Coleman (3 years, $18 million): C Grade

The Saints are losing Kenny Vaccaro to free agency this offseason, so they had to properly replace him. They signed Kurt Coleman, and yet they still need to properly replace Vaccaro.

Coleman played at a high level during Carolina's Super Bowl run in 2015, but has struggled since. I actually listed safety as a big need for the Panthers before they cut Coleman, so this doesn't seem like a promising signing for New Orleans. Given that the Saints are overpaying Coleman - he probably should've gotten half as much - this grade can't be a good one.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

That must mean that Vaccaro wants more than $6 million per year. Either that or the Saints think Coleman's broken down butt is better.

Either way, I'm out on Vaccaro as a free agent. Not worth north of 6 million per and isn't as good as his draft pedigree suggests. I mean we already have Mike Mitchell holding down those spots!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Yup and he got a decent payday for veteran on the downward side of his career. I don't even know if the Steelers have $6million in cap room to sign anybody unless more restructures are on the way. Good for Coleman....moving on.