PDA

View Full Version : LeVeon Bell possibly 'retirement' strategy?

zulater
02-21-2018, 09:54 AM
This is as much a question as a potential course of action by Bell. But what exactly are the rules concerning retired players who file their retirement papers? I realize of course the Steelers retain his rights. But in the certain eventuality that he were to un-retire is there a minimum amount of games he would be required to miss? In example say by filing retirement papers Bell would be forced to sit out 2 games, would he really care? I get that his salary is prorated per game, but losing a little under 2 million might be a trade off he's willing to make. For one less wear and tear. He proved a couple seasons ago he could hit the ground running coming off an suspension.Plus he would also be making a strong statement of defiance to the Steelers. But more to the point since we're talking Bell, if he's considered retired wouldn't he in fact be not be subject to league drug testing? Just wondering if the loss of playing time and salary would be minimal would an offseason of unrestrained fun be a worthy trade off to him? lol

steelreserve
02-21-2018, 10:43 AM
This is as much a question as a potential course of action by Bell. But what exactly are the rules concerning retired players who file their retirement papers? I realize of course the Steelers retain his rights. But in the certain eventuality that he were to un-retire is there a minimum amount of games he would be required to miss? In example say by filing retirement papers Bell would be forced to sit out 2 games, would he really care? I get that his salary is prorated per game, but losing a little under 2 million might be a trade off he's willing to make. For one less wear and tear. He proved a couple seasons ago he could hit the ground running coming off an suspension.Plus he would also be making a strong statement of defiance to the Steelers. But more to the point since we're talking Bell, if he's considered retired wouldn't he in fact be not be subject to league drug testing? Just wondering if the loss of playing time and salary would be minimal would an offseason of unrestrained fun be a worthy trade off to him? lol

I wouldn't want a jackass like that on the team anymore. There's a limit to how far you can push it before all the bullshit just isn't worth it. Do you prepare as if he's going to be there? As if he's not? As if he's going to be there but be mostly ineffective again? Fuck. That. Shit.

Also, a difference between suspension and retirement is that if you're suspended, you can go to training camp and practice with the team, but if you're retired, I'm pretty sure you can't. We found out last year that if Bell just comes in cold he can't hit the ground running. He sucked for almost a third of the season. So now we'd be talking that plus another two games.

Note: I don't think there's any rule saying you "have" to miss a certain number of games, the two games was just in the hypothetical example you're talking about. But I think it's a good example, because I'd almost certainly expect him to miss the entire preseason again, and who knows, maybe a nice suspension for conduct detrimental to the team if it was for the sake of defiance.