PDA

View Full Version : Mock draft with a twist. If the players went off the board like this, who do you select?

Six Rings
02-20-2018, 03:51 PM
If the draft fell precisely like this, who are you selecting?

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

1 ) ILB Evans - A three-down linebacker, very active vs. the run or pass. Not as fast as Shazier ( who is? ), but he an even better tackler

2 ) S Reid - An all-around type of talent, who's very versatile and proactive. We need help at safety.

3 ) LB Leonard - Small but amazingly productive. A top nickel backer, which these days are a huge need. Should be a star on special teams.

5 ) RB Scarbrough - Conner could be injury prone. Scarbrough is a beast one-cut runner, not huge value on 3rd and long though

5B ) TE Hurst. What a steal at this point.

6 ) OT Alex Cappa. This small school wonder is big, strong, and mean, which surprisingly good technique. Back up tackle will be a need.

7 ) BPA, maybe the Texas punter is he's still on the board.

Mojouw
02-20-2018, 04:03 PM
Evans and I don't even think about it. I mean I guess I would stop and consider Harrison and Watts at safety. But I think the Steelers can actually field a competent defense with Davis and Mitchell.

BTW - I hate the line of argument that the author of the draft sim uses in his Steelers capsule. Well the team has a gaping hole at these two positions but my randomly stacked board doesn't have a player with a top 35 grade at the position so let's have them take another position.

Look BPA is one thing (some top 10-15 guy plummets for some reason) but if there is a top tier prospect at a position of need when a team picks and they most likely won't be there when the team picks again -- why do "experts" insist on overthinking it?

Six Rings
02-20-2018, 06:16 PM
In the early rounds, I like to mix value, with need. If a Linebacker or Safety is there without reaching in round one, but say a Guard or Defensive End has a slightly higher grade, give me the need player.

BPA is more for rounds 3-7 for me.

Born2Steel
02-20-2018, 09:10 PM
I'm a BPA in the first round guy. IMO, this is where you find those game changing players. The ones that make everyone around them better just by being on the field. We do not NEED a DE, and most likely any draft pick is not going to upgrade Tuitt or Heyward, so yes you would pass on Bradley Chubb in the first, unless there simply is no better choice on the board. Then you do at least have currency in the league. There is no UBER-ATHLETIC TE in this draft, not a 1st round pick, IMO. As bad as we need defensive help, if Quentin Nelson is there at 28, you may have to take him. No NTs this year. I would consider RB Ronald Jones if there. As well as WRs Courtland Sutton or Anthony Miller. They are just that good of athletes. LB, CB, Safety sit at the top of the list of course, but all I'm saying is don't miss out on an all pro to reach for a position of need.

teegre
02-20-2018, 09:23 PM
if Quentin Nelson is there at 28, you may have to take him.

Nelson is the best OG to enter the NFL since Steve Hutchinson. Nelson is arguably the best overall player in this entire draft... at an unglamorous position.

Born2Steel
02-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Nelson is the best OG to enter the NFL since Steve Hutchinson. Nelson is arguably the best overall player in this entire draft... at an unglamorous position.

Agreed. Browns should take him #1, then take whoever remains of Barkley/Rosen/BChubb.

teegre
02-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Agreed. Browns should take him #1, then take whoever remains of Barkley/Rosen/BChubb.

The thing is, Nelson will drop (because, he’s a guard).

Plus, I see the Browns signing McCarron. So, let’s assume that they trade down with a team wanting to get “their” QB... such as the Broncos.

Rosen goes #1. Even if no other QB gets drafted at 2 or 3, the Browns can take two of whomever is left at picks 4 & 5: Saquon Barkley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Bradley Chubb, or Quenton Nelson.

Born2Steel
02-20-2018, 09:54 PM
The thing is, Nelson will drop (because, he’s a guard).

Plus, I see the Browns signing McCarron. So, let’s assume that they trade down with a team wanting to get “their” QB... such as the Broncos.

Rosen goes #1. Even if no other QB gets drafted at 2 or 3, the Browns can take two of whomever is left at picks 4 & 5: Saquon Barkley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Bradley Chubb, or Quenton Nelson.

And that's why I will never be a GM.

Mojouw
02-21-2018, 12:08 AM
Nelson looks like an unholy combo of nimble and nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pczach
02-21-2018, 05:27 PM
I'm a BPA in the first round guy. IMO, this is where you find those game changing players. The ones that make everyone around them better just by being on the field. We do not NEED a DE, and most likely any draft pick is not going to upgrade Tuitt or Heyward, so yes you would pass on Bradley Chubb in the first, unless there simply is no better choice on the board. Then you do at least have currency in the league. There is no UBER-ATHLETIC TE in this draft, not a 1st round pick, IMO. As bad as we need defensive help, if Quentin Nelson is there at 28, you may have to take him. No NTs this year. I would consider RB Ronald Jones if there. As well as WRs Courtland Sutton or Anthony Miller. They are just that good of athletes. LB, CB, Safety sit at the top of the list of course, but all I'm saying is don't miss out on an all pro to reach for a position of need.

Nelson has stud written all over him.

He's the type of player that you just draft and figure that he'll be a rock for your team and an All-Pro level player for at least a decade.

Six Rings
02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Nelson has stud written all over him.

He's the type of player that you just draft and figure that he'll be a rock for your team and an All-Pro level player for at least a decade.

The problem is you want to draft a pro bowl guard in picks 15-30, not picks #1- #5. Teams that pick this high often need a QB.

For example, the Miami Dolphins picked offensive tackle Jake Long #1 overall, and he was a pro bowl tackle for a while, BUT they passed on quarterback Matt Ryan and never found a decent quarterback.

teegre
02-25-2018, 10:55 AM
The problem is you want to draft a pro bowl guard in picks 15-30, not picks #1- #5. Teams that pick this high often need a QB.

For example, the Miami Dolphins picked offensive tackle Jake Long #1 overall, and he was a pro bowl tackle for a while, BUT they passed on quarterback Matt Ryan and never found a decent quarterback.

True... but... if a team signs a veteran QB (Cousins to the Broncos) or a team already has their franchise QB (Colts), then taking Nelson is a legitimate possibility.

pczach
02-25-2018, 11:05 AM

I understand what you're saying, but it's never too early to draft anyone that you believe will be an All-Pro player at any position.