PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Colbert Style Free Agents

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 12:51 PM
So I've been thinking about who the Steelers plan on signing in free agency. The more I read up on it, the more I come to think that if they wanted to, the team could clear up 15-30 million in cap space through extensions and restructures. Extend Ben, restructure Heyward, Tuitt, Decastro, Pouncey, and maybe AB and that works out to a ton of cap room. Cut Wilcox, Mitchell, DHB, Golden, and Sensabaugh. There is even more. Point is, they can afford to spend some cash if they choose to.

Now what to do with it?
1. Sign Bell. Just get cost certainty (whatever it may be) and know when you have to draft another back.
2. Sign Bradham to start alongside VW. Call that $5 million per year.
3. Sign Eric Reid. Should command more, but position questions and the protest stuff will depress his market. $4.5 million per year.
4. Sign Donte Moncrief. Not sure what he will cost, but he is 24 and has a ton of skills just needs to gain consistency. Sounds like every recent Steelers WR.
5. Sign Justin Ellis at DT. Massive man to eat up space in the middle. What McCullers was intended to be. It is likely going to cost them though. Maybe $4 million? More?

That is alot of salary cap, but if they get clever with it and spread stuff out - I think it could be done. Plus this would put Colbert in his preferred position, no gaping holes in the top 25 entering the draft.

Do I think it will happen? Nope. I doubt Moncrief and Ellis would sign onto a situation where they are clearly being ticketed for a small role. Someone will pay Bradham a ton of cash. Eric Reid is the most likely - if the Steelers like the player.

86WARD
02-16-2018, 01:20 PM
A donte moncrief signing would be awesome...

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Justin Ellis is just what our poor run defense up the middle needs...