PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers Trade Of CB Ross Cockrell To Giants Nets 6th-Round Draft Pick

Shoes
02-15-2018, 08:07 PM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) FEBRUARY 15, 2018 AT 02:40 PM
Just before the start of the 2017 regular season the Pittsburgh Steelers traded cornerback Ross Cockrell to the New York Giants in exchange for a 2018 conditional draft pick and since then there’s been a lot of speculation as to what round that selection might ultimately be. In his latest ‘Asked And Answered’ segment on steelers.com (http://steelers.com/), Bob Labriola stated that the Steelers will receive the Giants sixth-round selection (http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-4/Asked-and-Answered-Feb-15/c0e3c69b-025a-4d2a-aae9-cf6d6d00180a) in 2018 NFL Draft as a result of that trade.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/report-steelers-trade-cb-ross-cockrell-giants-nets-6th-round-draft-pick/

st33lersguy
02-15-2018, 08:11 PM
That's good news, everyone was saying 7th, instead they get a 6th, a high 6th

SteelerFanInStl
02-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks to the Giants for sucking!

Born2Steel
02-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Maybe best news of this week.

steelreserve
02-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Not a hell of a lot of difference between a 6th and 7th rounder honestly, but I'll take whatever we can get.

Born2Steel
02-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Not a hell of a lot of difference between a 6th and 7th rounder honestly, but I'll take whatever we can get.

Tom Brady and Antonio Brown were 6th round picks. It's a very good thing to happen. It certainly isn't a bad thing.

Shoes
02-16-2018, 01:16 PM
and then there is this

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-unlikely-receive-compensatory-draft-picks-offseason/

teegre
02-17-2018, 08:58 AM
So...

R1
R2
R3
(R4 traded)
R5 (from San Fran)
R5
R6 (from Giants)
R6
R7

steelreserve
02-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Tom Brady and Antonio Brown were 6th round picks. It's a very good thing to happen. It certainly isn't a bad thing.

So were Ryan Mundy and Marvin Philip. Or did you mean the pick is super-valuable because there's something special about the 6th round where the players are randomly all good for no reason?

I mean, no, it's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't call it "very good." It's like finding a penny. Not much appreciable difference from a 7th-round pick in the grand scheme of things. Before we were getting "a draft pick" and now we're getting "a draft pick." You'll notice neither one is "a good draft pick."

Born2Steel
02-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Seems to me there may not be much difference between the numbers 6 and 7, but there does seem to be a difference in the quality of player available in 6 or 7. Thus the reference to Brady and AB. I guess Shannon Sharp or Donald Driver coming out of the 7th round makes a strong case for the last round talent pool as well.

Born2Steel
02-17-2018, 11:00 AM
So were Ryan Mundy and Marvin Philip. Or did you mean the pick is super-valuable because there's something special about the 6th round where the players are randomly all good for no reason?

I mean, no, it's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't call it "very good." It's like finding a penny. Not much appreciable difference from a 7th-round pick in the grand scheme of things. Before we were getting "a draft pick" and now we're getting "a draft pick." You'll notice neither one is "a good draft pick."

Not sure how you took offense to my post. True, we will take whatever we can get. But pretty much everyone expected a 7th rounder, we ended up with a 6th rounder. For Ross Cockrell!! That is the very definition of BONUS. IMO, a very good thing to have happen. You don't necessarily have to agree that it's a very good thing, but I fail to see why you're taking issue with it. Getting 2 5th round picks AND 2 6th round picks is a much better position, again IMO, than having 2 5th AND 2 7th round picks.

DesertSteel
02-17-2018, 12:10 PM
I hope we use that 6th on a WR. The track record speaks for itself.

teegre
02-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Option 1:
We cut Cockrell. Get nothing in return. 0% chance for drafting a starter and/or All Pro.

Option 2:
We trade Cockrell. Get a R7 pick in return. 4% chance of drafting a starter/ 1.2% chance of drafting an All Pro.

Option 3:
We trade Cockrell. Get a R6 pick in return. 5% chance of drafting a starter/ 3.5% chance of drafting an All Pro.

SUMMATION:
Option 3 is slightly better than Option 2, both of which are absolutely better than Option 1 (ZERO chance of getting anything in return).

Craic
02-17-2018, 12:33 PM
So...

R1
R2
R3
(R4 traded)
R5 (from San Fran)
R5
R6 (from Giants)
R6
R7

Interesting. We could bundle our round five and six picks and trade them to move up into the bottom of the fourth round, then pick on the 49ers and Giants' picks high in round five and six.

steelreserve
02-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Not sure how you took offense to my post. True, we will take whatever we can get. But pretty much everyone expected a 7th rounder, we ended up with a 6th rounder. For Ross Cockrell!! That is the very definition of BONUS. IMO, a very good thing to have happen. You don't necessarily have to agree that it's a very good thing, but I fail to see why you're taking issue with it. Getting 2 5th round picks AND 2 6th round picks is a much better position, again IMO, than having 2 5th AND 2 7th round picks.

I'm not offended by your post, I'm just a jerk. Sheesh, where were YOU when they were passing out the brains?

teegre
02-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Interesting. We could bundle our round five and six picks and trade them to move up into the bottom of the fourth round, then pick on the 49ers and Giants' picks high in round five and six.

Clarification:
The Steelers only have the Giants R6 pick (we traded the other one). My mistake.

But, Yes... I’d trade any (all) of these picks to move up.

Born2Steel
02-18-2018, 08:38 AM
I'm not offended by your post, I'm just a jerk. Sheesh, where were YOU when they were passing out the brains?

Umm...at your MOM's house. :bananadoggywow::drink::hatsoff:

tube517
02-18-2018, 10:51 AM
So...

R1
R2
R3
(R4 traded)
R5 (from San Fran)
R5
R6 (from Giants)
R6
R7

Wasn't our 6th round pick traded to Tampa Bay for Wilcox and their 2019 Round 7 pick?

teegre
02-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Wasn't our 6th round pick traded to Tampa Bay for Wilcox and their 2019 Round 7 pick?

Yep

Clarification:
The Steelers only have the Giants R6 pick (we traded the other one). My mistake.

LLT
02-19-2018, 10:35 AM
I hope we use that 6th on a WR. The track record speaks for itself.

I still love Richie James from middle Tennessee. Diminutive but productive Slot Receiver who isn't getting the attention that he should. Solid route runner and very elusive after the catch. Watch his tape and you walk away thinking that he seems to have the same build and skills as T.Y. Hilton.

steelreserve
02-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Things that this kind of draft pick seems to be good for:

WR depth
OL prospect who might succeed under Munchak
LB depth
DB who doesn't make the team
DL who sucks nuts
TE who sucks nuts and we keep him around for 3 or 4 years anyway
RB who has an exciting preseason but it turns out he sucks nuts
Long snapper

wait, scratch that last one

teegre
02-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Option 1:
Get nothing for Cockrell.

Option 2:
Holba, LS
*Adams, OLB
Feeney, OLB
*Ayers, WR
Matakevich, ILB
Walton, DE
Chickillo, OLB
Holliman, FS
Zumwalt, ILB
*McCullers, DT
Blanchflower, TE
J.Brown, WR
V.Williams, ILB
N.Williams, DE
Clemons, WR
Paulson, TE
Frederick, CB
Beachum, LT
Williams, G
Batch, RB
Dwyer, RB
A.Brown, WR
Worthington, DT

14 crap
2 average players (Ayers, McCullers)
1 with potential (Adams)
3 rotation guys (Dwyer, Chickillo, Walton)
1 special teams ace (Matakevich)
2 starters (Beachum, V.Williams)
1 All Pro (A.Brown)

That’s 10/23 that contributed... which is 43% success rate.

SUMMATION:
43% chance > 0% chance

Fire Goodell
02-20-2018, 09:24 PM

And Kiesel was a 7th rounder! I'd take him on my team any day as well.

tube517
02-21-2018, 09:52 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/update-steelers-get-7th-round-pick-ross-cockrell-not-6th/

Labriola screwed up. Steelers do get a 7th, not a 6th, for the Cockring trade. Waste thread and articles from Depot.

Nice job, Labs. :doh: