PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to CUT Mitchell (& Wilcox)... add a veteran safety

teegre
02-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Cutting Mitchell (& Wilcox) saves the Steelers $9 million.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/15/mike-mitchell-contract-sean-davis-safeties-tom-bradley/stories/201802150130

They are willing to move Davis to FS.

-Eric Reid
-Lamarcus Joyner
-Kenny Vaccaro
-Morgan Burnett

Mojouw
02-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Cutting Mitchell (& Wilcox) saves the Steelers $9 million.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/15/mike-mitchell-contract-sean-davis-safeties-tom-bradley/stories/201802150130

They are willing to move Davis to FS.

-Eric Reid
-Lamarcus Joyner
-Kenny Vaccaro
-Morgan Burnett

Well they better hope Davis takes to FS like a duck to water. It would be far easier to add at SS than FS through FA and the draft.

I like the idea of Reid at SS and Davis at FS. It would be cheap, flexible, and still leave room for contributions from Gay, Allen, and a draft pick.

I'll volunteer to help Golden pack.

teegre
02-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Well they better hope Davis takes to FS like a duck to water. It would be far easier to add at SS than FS through FA and the draft.

I like the idea of Reid at SS and Davis at FS. It would be cheap, flexible, and still leave room for contributions from Gay, Allen, and a draft pick.

I'll volunteer to help Golden pack.

The more that I think about it, the more Reid makes sense.

Plus, Reid played ILB; so, maybe if the draft unfolds a certain way, we draft a SS, and Reid becomes the starting ILB. (I’m not saying this is my preference, but I’m acknowledging that it’s a possibility.)

SteelerFanInStl
02-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Reid would be a great signing. I think that Gay is going to be one of the veteran cuts.

st33lersguy
02-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Cutting Mitchell was a no-brainer. He got burned deep frequently and was only gonna get worse at the wrong side of 30
Cutting Wilcox made sense as well since they never used him. Of course they really should stop trading picks for defensive backs then have them rot on the bench

BlackAndGold
02-15-2018, 06:47 PM
I've been a known Mitchell defender but I agree on cutting him, the injuries are slowing him down which means he isn't worth the money.

Exciting since this mean they'll likely sign a safety in free agency, which could lead to drafting ILB's in the first two rounds of the draft.

Devilsdancefloor
02-15-2018, 08:11 PM
reid is a hello of a football player, but i do not want him near this team

BlackAndGold
02-15-2018, 08:35 PM
I'll guess the first two options to replace MM are Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro.

They showed interest in Boston last year before he decided to sign with the Chargers. Will be 26 years old in June. (age is pretty important when it comes to free agent signings for this team)

teegre
02-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Since 2000, the FS position has been manned by a free agent for all but two seasons (Chris Hope: 04, 05).

00-03 Brent Alexander
04-05 *Chris Hope*
06-13 Ryan Clark
14-17 Mike Mitchell
18-21 ???

I will bet a month’s mortgage that they sign one of these guys: Eric Reid, Lamarcus Joyner, Kenny Vaccaro, Morgan Burnett, or Tre Boston.

Shoes
02-15-2018, 09:25 PM
I'll guess the first two options to replace MM are Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro.

They showed interest in Boston last year before he decided to sign with the Chargers. Will be 26 years old in June. (age is pretty important when it comes to free agent signings for this team)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/15/tre-boston-wants-team-he-fits-in-well-can-win-a-super-bowl/

SteelMember
02-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Don't think many would be disappointed when they do... Not much love loss from me either. Outside of his antics, he had his eyes in the backfield way too much wanting to support the run as the FS. That was a big issue with him being out of position. Combine that with his loss of speed and nagging injuries, sprinkle in the big cap hit... it becomes a no-brainer.

Both Burnett and Vaccaro were guys I liked coming into the draft. Burnett's price tag could be too high since he's already @9mil something. For an older guy, it would have to be a sweet 3 year deal to get him here. And Vacarro fits the age, but I just can't see the Saints not re-signing him. So, it's probably gonna be someone else if and when a FA signing happens.

Iron Steeler
02-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Mike Mitchell or tomlin jr

Had a few good years with us.

But wow did he give up some big plays this year.

Born2Steel
02-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Don't think many would be disappointed when they do... Not much love loss from me either. Outside of his antics, he had his eyes in the backfield way too much wanting to support the run as the FS. That was a big issue with him being out of position. Combine that with his loss of speed and nagging injuries, sprinkle in the big cap hit... it becomes a no-brainer.

Both Burnett and Vaccaro were guys I liked coming into the draft. Burnett's price tag could be too high since he's already @9mil something. For an older guy, it would have to be a sweet 3 year deal to get him here. And Vacarro fits the age, but I just can't see the Saints not re-signing him. So, it's probably gonna be someone else if and when a FA signing happens.

Not sure if this info impacts the conversation at all but, Vacarro stayed in Sean Payton's doghouse. I do not know enough details to go further than they just bumped heads a lot. KV may be an upgrade to Mitchell here, but I think he will come with some antics of his own.

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 12:16 PM
I think the question that the Steelers have to answer first is what they are looking for at the position group? Does Davis fit as the signal caller and the deep center-fielder in whatever Tomlin/Butler/Bradley are cooking up? If so, getting a guy who can play downhill and in the box is not that bad of an idea. In fact, it may be the "easier" skill set to identify and obtain in both the draft and free agency. I know that he will be a controversial pick up at best, but I honestly believe the best "fit" for the defense would be Eric Reid. He is a multi-tool on the back end.

Davis plays center-field or even the slot in a big nickel. Reid plays a more classic SS or he can shift down to a "moneybacker" role or play across the middle of the field in a 3 safety look, etc.

Plus his position moving and protest stuff will keep his price down - a key figure for the Steelers plus he is only 26.

SteelMember
02-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Not sure if this info impacts the conversation at all but, Vacarro stayed in Sean Payton's doghouse. I do not know enough details to go further than they just bumped heads a lot. KV may be an upgrade to Mitchell here, but I think he will come with some antics of his own.

This may answer some question on the Saints letting him walk...

"The New Orlean Saints will likely move on from Vaccaro with the emergence of Marcus Williams and Vonn Bell in 2017, so the "rumor" could hold true. His IDP owners shouldn't be concerned about Vaccaro where ever he lands. He'll demand a nice contract on the open market and would likely land as a starting "in the box" strong safety with whoever signs him."

And of course there's this from last December...

"NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported safety Kenny Vaccaro is headed to injured reserve, according to a source informed of the decision. Vaccaro has been playing with an adductor muscle (groin) completely torn off the bone and an injured wrist. He'll undergo surgery on both, per Rapoport."

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Gerry Dulac: ‘I Doubt Mike Mitchell Will Be Back’

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/gerry-dulac-doubt-mike-mitchell-will-back/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

teegre
02-17-2018, 08:55 AM

They like Bell & Williams. Vaccaro is the odd man out.

Plus, in order to keep him, they’d have to pay him... whereas, Bell has two more seasons on his rookie contract, and Williams has three more years.

Born2Steel
02-17-2018, 09:15 AM
They like Bell & Williams. Vaccaro is the odd man out.

Plus, in order to keep him, they’d have to pay him... whereas, Bell has two more seasons on his rookie contract, and Williams has three more years.

That's true. I get a lot of Saints chatter here, and KV spends his share of time on the 'naughty list'. That Saints secondary is looking scary good with Bell and Williams, and Lattimore, PJ, and Maulet. KV is the obvious odd man out with that group. Just saying he would bring his own bag of antics if he comes here.