PDA

View Full Version : TJ And Year Two

Shoes
02-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Can't wait to see Watt in his second year. The team has to have a very good feeling about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QymUq1Y9JQs

Steeldude
02-15-2018, 05:18 AM
His main weakness is pass rushing. He needs to be able to get to the QB under his own ability.

86WARD
02-15-2018, 07:35 AM
His “weakness” as you say isn’t really a “weakness”. It’s something he needs to improve on but it’s far from a weakness.

Born2Steel
02-15-2018, 09:08 AM
In a sense it is a "weakness". His NFL bio says "needs to get stronger for the NFL". He's already very strong, and as he adds strength and becomes a better NFL player over time, I think he could be one of the league's best. He already has 'moves' for pass rushing, as he adds strength his bull rush will improve as well. I'm looking forward to Watt's 3rd year honestly.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2018, 10:28 PM
His main weakness is pass rushing. He needs to be able to get to the QB under his own ability.

he has the best pressure per rush metric of anybody on the team. including Heyward

pczach
02-16-2018, 05:47 AM

Who's ability has he been using?

Steeldude
02-16-2018, 07:01 AM
His “weakness” as you say isn’t really a “weakness”. It’s something he needs to improve on but it’s far from a weakness.

So that's not the weakest part of his game? Not being able to generate pressure under your own ability is a weakness, IMO.

He needs to gain strength and add a few pounds of good weight. He has the frame to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Who's ability has he been using?

His own, which needs to improve. He can't rely on stunts and coverage sacks.

Nice attempt.

- - - Updated - - -

he has the best pressure per rush metric of anybody on the team. including Heyward

And are they like his sacks?

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 12:20 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/contextualizing-steelers-2017-sack-production-olb-t-j-watt/

I must be sick or dying, but Steeldude has a point and I agree with it. Watt needs to get better at getting his pressure within the first 4 seconds after the snap and not on a second or third effort.

That being said, this criticism and the solution (more time in an NFL weight room and more technical training) applies to almost every first year player. I remain sky-high on Watt's potential. But then I like every young athletic player on the roster...

pczach
02-16-2018, 09:03 PM

Nice attempt.

Nice attempt at what? I wasn't ripping you or trying to provoke you. It was meant in fun because of the way you worded it. Do you ever turn off the attitude?

I agree that he needs to get stronger and continue to improve, but nearly all rookies do. What he did as a rookie is very impressive, and he should continue to improve.

You also made a comment to Psycho Ward 86 questioning that metric that he linked. It's based on how often he gets pressure on a percentage of plays where he rushes the quarterback. The fact that you question how he gets his pressures is irrelevant because he was comparing his pressure rate to other Steelers. Every other Steeler player is getting the same amount of time to get to the quarterback on every single play because they're all on the field at the same time. Heyward rushed the passer basically every time there was a pass play. Watt is often in coverage and doesn't get nearly as many pass rushing opportunities. Heyward was a first-team All Pro with 12 sacks, Watt had 7 sacks. I know they come in different ways, but Watt's performance as a rookie was very strong. Most sacks you see where a defender beats his man quickly and gets to the quarterback are failures by the offensive lineman or physical mismatches like when a TE is on an outside pass rusher with no help. Sacks almost always occur when a play isn't on time. If a play is executed by the offense and the timing is right, the defense almost never gets to the QB. That means that second effort and persistence is what gets you a sack most of the time.

86WARD
02-16-2018, 10:23 PM
So that's not the weakest part of his game? Not being able to generate pressure under your own ability is a weakness, IMO.

He needs to gain strength and add a few pounds of good weight. He has the frame to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice attempt.

- - - Updated - - -

And are they like his sacks?

It’s something he needs to improve as all rookies do...but it’s hardly a “weakness”. It’s more of a progression and learning curve. It’s something that should get better with time and experience...let’s be honest...who gives a shit how he gets his sacks and makes plays...2nd, 3rd, 10th effort...who cares as long as he’s making plays...lol.

Maybe your definition of weakness is different than mine...

teegre
02-17-2018, 08:46 AM
What I’ve noticed about Watt is that he has that “splash play” awareness that players like Peanut Tillman, Greg Lloyd, and Troy Polamalu had.

For example, if you watch several of those highlights, once a second player helps Watt wrap up the ball carrier, Watt then tries to strip the ball. Before that, Watt simply wraps up/makes the tackle... but, as soon as he’s sure that the tackle is secure, Watt then adds that little bit extra in order to force a fumble.

Psycho Ward 86
02-17-2018, 11:27 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-pass-rush-ranked-9th-pressures-according-nfl-next-gen-stats/

Cameron Heyward led the team with 42 pressures, and Stephon Tuitt wasn’t far behind, with 38. Despite playing traditional 3-4 defensive end roles, the duo totaled 34.8 percent of the team’s pressures

He talked about the need for more edge pressure and noted the potential that rookie T.J. Watt displayed in his first season. “Watt racked up 33 pressures on 261 pass-rushing plays, leading the group with a 12.6 percent pressure rate. Pittsburgh also got plenty of use out of its inside linebackers as blitzers, with Vince Williams (16 pressures) and Ryan Shazier (seven pressures) putting heat on quarterbacks when called upon”.

While the Steelers ranked ninth in pressures, for example, they also saw the second-fewest passes attempted against them with just 499. Of course you have to add in the sacks to get the total number of dropbacks, which is 555, but the point is that they faced fewer pass attempts than most teams and yet still ranked in the top 10 in pressures.

The Philadelphia Eagles ranked far ahead of everybody else in pressures with 291 (61 more than Pittsburgh), but they also faced 639 dropbacks. So they generated pressure on 45.5 percent of dropbacks, while Pittsburgh generated pressure on 41.6 percent. The point is, their percentage of pressure was probably higher than ninth, without doing all the legwork.

If Watt doesnt drop back to defend passes (an area where he is among the elite compared to other OLB's) what, like 40% of the time? He leads this team in pressures easily. Ok maybe not easily, but strongly in contention to lead the team in pressures. As a rookie, on a team that was among the best in the league in total pressures/sacks despite facing one of the fewest passes attempted against them. What the hell more does this kid have to do to get respect around here? I just had to laugh at the skepticism on TJ when he got drafted. Guess I'll keep laughing

st33lersguy
02-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Watt had a solid rookie season. 7 sacks for a rookie dropping into coverage is nothing to scoff at. Add the fact that he was great in coverage and his rookie season is even better

pczach
02-17-2018, 03:46 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/steelers-pass-rush-ranked-9th-pressures-according-nfl-next-gen-stats/

Cameron Heyward led the team with 42 pressures, and Stephon Tuitt wasn’t far behind, with 38. Despite playing traditional 3-4 defensive end roles, the duo totaled 34.8 percent of the team’s pressures

He talked about the need for more edge pressure and noted the potential that rookie T.J. Watt displayed in his first season. “Watt racked up 33 pressures on 261 pass-rushing plays, leading the group with a 12.6 percent pressure rate. Pittsburgh also got plenty of use out of its inside linebackers as blitzers, with Vince Williams (16 pressures) and Ryan Shazier (seven pressures) putting heat on quarterbacks when called upon”.

While the Steelers ranked ninth in pressures, for example, they also saw the second-fewest passes attempted against them with just 499. Of course you have to add in the sacks to get the total number of dropbacks, which is 555, but the point is that they faced fewer pass attempts than most teams and yet still ranked in the top 10 in pressures.

The Philadelphia Eagles ranked far ahead of everybody else in pressures with 291 (61 more than Pittsburgh), but they also faced 639 dropbacks. So they generated pressure on 45.5 percent of dropbacks, while Pittsburgh generated pressure on 41.6 percent. The point is, their percentage of pressure was probably higher than ninth, without doing all the legwork.

If Watt doesnt drop back to defend passes (an area where he is among the elite compared to other OLB's) what, like 40% of the time? He leads this team in pressures easily. Ok maybe not easily, but strongly in contention to lead the team in pressures. As a rookie, on a team that was among the best in the league in total pressures/sacks despite facing one of the fewest passes attempted against them. What the hell more does this kid have to do to get respect around here? I just had to laugh at the skepticism on TJ when he got drafted. Guess I'll keep laughing

There are always going to be people that demand that they get more from him. If he gets 12 sacks next year, they'll say he hasn't done enough. They'll say he should be getting at least 15 sacks a year to be worth the pick.

These people are who they are. There's nothing wrong with wanting players to get better. I just have a problem with people that don't seem to understand that all young players have a natural progression to go through to reach their potential. It almost never happens immediately at any position other than running back. It doesn't mean that they aren't going to be very good or that they are doing something wrong. Fans just need to understand that patience will reward them with a finished product that can be better judged and rated. It just doesn't make sense to put ridiculous pressure and criticism on young players, but fan is short for fanatic so.....

Born2Steel
01-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Well, did Watt improve in year 2 or not? What should we expect in year 3?

Fire Goodell
01-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Well if his pass rushing is his weakness then it's safe to say he's a complete player. Our win vs NE was in big part due to Watt being in Brady's face all game. I do think he needs to be more consistent though. There are times when he went multiple games being invisible, and then having a monster game in between. I did think his consistency improved later in the season though.