PDA

View Full Version : A question for Steeler fans

Packers
02-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Are you guys as happy as I am about New England losing the Super Bowl? Can I get a hell yes! I would have rooted for you guys to win had you made it. I'm happy they didn't tie you for 6 either. Your still ahead 6 rings to 5. You guys will be back next year too.

smokin3000gt
02-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Watching them win a SB feels as bad as when we lose one

Mach1
02-09-2018, 01:16 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/aba4104f174c0a314cc5b776d6ec5a68/tenor.gif?itemid=10778537

tube517
02-09-2018, 04:58 AM
Yes. I despise that franchise. I hate all Boston teams.

vasteeler
02-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Them losing is ALMOST as good as us winning

86WARD
02-09-2018, 06:56 AM
I could care less how many New England wins. I just want to see the Steelers winning them...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Was good to see Philly finally get one. The fact that NE lost is mildly amusing.

One thing I don't get is that if you look at the teams that give NE trouble, its the ones that can get pressure on Brady with 4 pass rushers and make him uncomfortable in the pocket. If I was every team in the AFC East, I would have been stocking up on D linemen for years. Steelers don't get to the QB without blitzing and Brady reads it and makes the right throw. If Steelers want to win in the next couple seasons, they need somebody to rush the passer, not what they have had over the last several years.

steelreserve
02-09-2018, 10:02 AM
It honestly almost felt the same as winning the Super Bowl. I think much of the country feels the same way.

They wouldn't have tied us, by the way. They're still stick on zero championships as far as I'm concerned. They can have the losses, though.

Iron Steeler
02-09-2018, 10:05 AM
If I was every team in the AFC East, I would have been stocking up on D linemen for years.

The sad thing is that they have . But it still hasn't worked.

Gotta have good man cover corners as well. And your DL has to be smart and totally sniff our nullify all their misdrection swing pass/ screen bs.

Example in the superbowl, Chris long saw amendola I believe come around a fake reverse to a swing pass. He just went ahead and started blocking Amendola way behind the line. Thats just good instincts

Sometimes the Pats

Moose
02-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Oh hell yes ! Teams on my must hate list... no certain order. .... Cincy bungholes, Dallas, and of course N.E. cheaters. With that weak division it's almost a certain the cheaters walk into the playoffs every year, and with bye's and home field advantage. It's bull crap ! But I'm also sick/tired of watching the Steeler's get conservative and losing games they should be winning year after year because of pathetic play calling, no tackling, no defense or special teams. Thanks PACKERS for the comment and thread.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2018, 12:50 PM
The sad thing is that they have . But it still hasn't worked.

Gotta have good man cover corners as well. And your DL has to be smart and totally sniff our nullify all their misdrection swing pass/ screen bs.

Example in the superbowl, Chris long saw amendola I believe come around a fake reverse to a swing pass. He just went ahead and started blocking Amendola way behind the line. Thats just good instincts

Sometimes the Pats

True, you need to take away the quick passes with good coverage, but IMO, the teams like the Eagles or Jags and of course the Giants back when Spagnolo was their coach...got to Brady without blitzing.

Formula is get pressure up the middle to get Brady off his spot, play man to deny the easy quick throw and get as many hits on Brady as you can when he tries to move out of the pocket or slide in it. Either way....onto the draft.

st33lersguy
02-09-2018, 03:09 PM
It's really not fun living in Eastern Pennsylvania (aka Eagles country) and being a non-Eagles fan this week. I could hear fireworks go off when the Eagles won. Also ALL the local network channels provided wall-wall coverage of the parade. Plus it was admittedly fun making fun of the Eagles for winning 0 Super Bowls. At the same time though, I'm glad the Cheats lost and I'm especially glad T.O. Harrison didn't win a ring (karma).

Though I wish the Steelers would have knocked off the Cheats and if Tomlin could have gotten his team focused this year and if the 2 coordinators weren't complete idiots, they would have knocked off the Cheats in their house which would have been so much fun

Mojouw
02-09-2018, 03:23 PM
True, you need to take away the quick passes with good coverage, but IMO, the teams like the Eagles or Jags and of course the Giants back when Spagnolo was their coach...got to Brady without blitzing.

Formula is get pressure up the middle to get Brady off his spot, play man to deny the easy quick throw and get as many hits on Brady as you can when he tries to move out of the pocket or slide in it. Either way....onto the draft.

There is that. You also have to do something clever with your coverages. Pats under McDaniels are almost totally focused on pre-snap motion with various offensive players to get you to "declare" your coverage scheme. Brady has played so long in essentially the same system and seen so many NFL snaps, that as soon as you move your LB or safety in response to the Pats moving a TE or a back, you're dead meat. Brady knows your coverage and he knows exactly what seemingly innocuous underneath route will be wide open because his guy can beat your guy or your zone. Then your pass rush doesn't even matter because the ball comes out as soon as Brady hits his back-foot and anyone short of Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor ain't getting back there that quick.

I mean the Eagles have exactly everything that everyone on this board is insistent beats the Pats offense. They have man capable DBs. They have a great interior pass rush. They also have guys that come in waves off the edge. They have LBs that play well in space. And they still got worked to the tune of over 600 yards of offense. I mean, at some point you gotta just shake your head and admit there is no real recipe for beating these guys when their o-line gives Brady an semblance of a pocket.

In the same vein, when all the weapons are there and Ben has a clean pocket and doesn't randomly decide he can't tell one jersey from the other, what team stops the Steelers?

tube517
02-09-2018, 03:44 PM
In the same vein, when all the weapons are there and Ben has a clean pocket and doesn't randomly decide he can't tell one jersey from the other, what team stops the Steelers?

https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/689/669/hi-res-579849c07de840dde09d87183d99c5bb_crop_north.jpg?h= 533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top :chuckle:

Mojouw
02-09-2018, 04:01 PM
https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/689/669/hi-res-579849c07de840dde09d87183d99c5bb_crop_north.jpg?h= 533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top :chuckle:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/09/Billy-D_Approves.gif

steelreserve
02-09-2018, 05:58 PM
There is that. You also have to do something clever with your coverages. Pats under McDaniels are almost totally focused on pre-snap motion with various offensive players to get you to "declare" your coverage scheme. Brady has played so long in essentially the same system and seen so many NFL snaps, that as soon as you move your LB or safety in response to the Pats moving a TE or a back, you're dead meat. Brady knows your coverage and he knows exactly what seemingly innocuous underneath route will be wide open because his guy can beat your guy or your zone. Then your pass rush doesn't even matter because the ball comes out as soon as Brady hits his back-foot and anyone short of Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor ain't getting back there that quick.

I mean the Eagles have exactly everything that everyone on this board is insistent beats the Pats offense. They have man capable DBs. They have a great interior pass rush. They also have guys that come in waves off the edge. They have LBs that play well in space. And they still got worked to the tune of over 600 yards of offense. I mean, at some point you gotta just shake your head and admit there is no real recipe for beating these guys when their o-line gives Brady an semblance of a pocket.

One thing that probably didn't help the Eagles was being too plain-vanilla with their defensive looks. Even though the individual players are good, and maybe you get pressure, you can't give away what you're doing, or you get taken advantage of.

Same as what used to happen when we would line our 2005-10 defense up against the Patriots and play straight-up, "here are the four guys who are rushing" defense, when against everyone else we played a shifty, morphing look where you had no idea who was rushing and who was going where before the snap. Disguising your look goes a long way against any opponent, including the Cheats.

Even taking all that into consideration, I still think something was not quite right with the way literally every Brady completion in the Super Bowl was an easy throw to someone who was wide open in exactly the right spot. Did not pass the optics test at all. Almost like they had a tell for every coverage the Eagles were going to use before the snap. The kind of information you would get, for instance, if you stole a playbook or something ...

fansince'76
02-09-2018, 09:02 PM
I dunno, Brady looked pretty comfortable against the Eagles to me (500+ yards, zero punts). They got to him once all night, it just so happens that when they did finally get to him, they also forced him to turn it over and that was the difference in the game.

Oh, and it also helps when the refs rule a TD catch to be a TD catch...