PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire Tom Bradley as DB coach

BlackAndGold
02-08-2018, 03:25 PM

86WARD
02-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Being a Penn State guy, I like this hiring.

pczach
02-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Being a Penn State guy, I like this hiring.

This guy would always find a way to coach up a great defense. I was always a fan of him as a coach and the way he handled himself as the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach when called upon.

He was a casualty of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, but he was fantastic during his time at Penn State. A real football guy.

BlackAndGold
02-08-2018, 04:46 PM

pczach
02-08-2018, 04:50 PM

Bradley helped make every defensive player on the roster better his entire time at PSU. If you wanted a guy that teaches fundamentals and has a proven history of developing players, you have to like this hire. He has experience coaching linebackers and defensive backs, and as a DC, his defenses were routinely ranked Top 10 nationally. For those that don't know much about him, here's his coaching history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)

SteelerFanInStl
02-08-2018, 05:08 PM
I can't say that I know much about Bradley but I like what I'm hearing. This also sounds like a guy who could eventually end up as the DC.

st33lersguy
02-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a good hire,

86WARD
02-08-2018, 06:51 PM
I can't say that I know much about Bradley but I like what I'm hearing. This also sounds like a guy who could eventually end up as the DC.

I was actually just thinking the same thing. Could put a little pressure on Butler to step up his game.

ALLD
02-08-2018, 07:07 PM

He sounds more like another Munchak who could possibly replace MT too.

BlackAndGold
02-08-2018, 07:08 PM
He sounds more like another Munchak who could possibly replace MT too.

Lolz

Moose
02-08-2018, 07:10 PM
I don't know much about the guy either, BUT if he's a stickler on tackling and fundamentals....I'm definitely on board with the guy !! Tackling and fundamentals is definitely something this team lacks. Hopefully a good hire, only time will tell all.

Mojouw
02-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Does he have any sleaze on him from Sandusky stuff? I honestly don't know a blessed thing about the dude. Just really hoping he is guiltless there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
02-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Good someone from outside the clan. If Pczach says he's a good coach I'm happy!

Psycho Ward 86
02-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Does he have any sleaze on him from Sandusky stuff? I honestly don't know a blessed thing about the dude. Just really hoping he is guiltless there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2016/07/12/penn-state-greg-schiano-tom-bradley-awareness-jerry-sandusky-sex-abuse/86988886/

A lot of headlines out there read that Greg Schiano and Tom Bradley knew, but said articles seem to say that they didn't. It's going to be one of those things that no one will ever know the truth of. I hope that stuff doesn't become a distraction, and more importantly I sure hope he wasn't involved in turning the other cheek. Sounds like an awesome coach from what I'm hearing

teegre
02-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Marcus Allen just just ahead a few spots on our draft board...

Lady Steel
02-08-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm excited about this hire and am totally on-board! He's from Johnstown, PA, and went to Bishop McCort High School. He's 61 years old.

Steelerette
02-08-2018, 09:44 PM
FWIW the secondary while he was coaching it at UCLA was horrendous.

Mojouw
02-08-2018, 11:04 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2016/07/12/penn-state-greg-schiano-tom-bradley-awareness-jerry-sandusky-sex-abuse/86988886/

A lot of headlines out there read that Greg Schiano and Tom Bradley knew, but said articles seem to say that they didn't. It's going to be one of those things that no one will ever know the truth of. I hope that stuff doesn't become a distraction, and more importantly I sure hope he wasn't involved in turning the other cheek. Sounds like an awesome coach from what I'm hearing

He sounds more than competent as coach. But all this Sandusky stuff has just tainted so many people from PSU from that era.

Neversatisfied
02-09-2018, 08:13 AM
This Steelers replace damn near everyone but Tomlin, if it doesn't help we know why

Moose
02-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Maybe all this hiring might make TOMLIN'S SEAT ALOT WARMER !!! Did Rooney finally get off his ass and check into things and watch some games ?

AtlantaDan
02-09-2018, 09:07 AM

It became an issue at Tennessee when Schiano was offered the HC job but that involved both student pressure and alums upset with the offer since they expected Gruden to be hired - different dynamics with hiring a NFL position coach rather than the head coach of a SEC public university - as was the case with Belichick allegedly trying to hire Schiano after the Tennessee job fell through doubtful these allegations are going to get much traction with the fan base, which unlike Tennnesee boosters and students has no leverage

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2018, 09:34 AM
FWIW the secondary while he was coaching it at UCLA was horrendous.

He needed to recruit better players at UCLA most likely.

He is the brother of the Steelers team Orthopedic surgeon. Tomlin can only win with Cowhers Orthopedic Surgeons brother as a coach. :thumbsup:

tube517
02-09-2018, 10:17 AM
He needed to recruit better players at UCLA most likely.

He is the brother of the Steelers team Orthopedic surgeon. Tomlin can only win with Cowhers Orthopedic Surgeons brother as a coach. :thumbsup:

That fact nullifies this as a Tomlin hire. Cowher and his spit FTW!!! :chuckle:

Actually, correction:

If Bradley fails, it's Cool Shades' fault

If Bradley succeeds, it's because of Cowher. :thumbsup:

st33lersguy
02-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a coach Burns and Davis could use

Born2Steel
02-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Sounds like a coach Burns and Davis could use

Add Mitchell to that list. I would much rather see Mitchell at 221 playing in the box, and letting Davis go to FS at 205. The main problem with that seems to be that Mitchell doesn't tackle well, and Davis doesn't cover well. My hope is Bradley can fix both. As for Burns, I think experience will be a great coach for him as well. I do love this hire.

st33lersguy
02-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Add Mitchell to that list. I would much rather see Mitchell at 221 playing in the box, and letting Davis go to FS at 205. The main problem with that seems to be that Mitchell doesn't tackle well, and Davis doesn't cover well. My hope is Bradley can fix both. As for Burns, I think experience will be a great coach for him as well. I do love this hire.

No they need to just get rid of Mitchell. $8 million to get burned all the time? Get rid of him. And at 31, he's not gonna get better.

Psycho Ward 86
02-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Yeah ill pass on Mitchells $8 million dollar cap hit thanks.

Mitchell doesnt do anything well except run his mouth. Davis has been one of our leaders in missed tackles the past 2 seasons. At least Davis is young and looked really good the 2nd half of the 2016 season, so he has a realistic trajectory for improvement

Steel 36 Bus
02-10-2018, 11:19 PM
I remember a few yrs ago when he was on Steelers post game show. he always sounded like he knew what he was talking about on that show when the fans would call in and either complain or give their approval. I remember him being at PSU. and when he was there they usually had a solid D. I guess we will find out. BUT if he is teaching fundamentals I am all for it. since this is how you lose football games when you can't get that part of the game down. Coach Noll that was his battle cry, and what makes him the BEST in my opinion.

Born2Steel
02-10-2018, 11:20 PM
I'm just glad this new coach has an "L" in his last name.

hawaiiansteeler
02-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Mark Madden: Steelers coach Tom Bradley has taken enough flak

MARK MADDEN | Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/markmadden/13298842-74/mark-madden-steelers-coach-tom-bradley-has-taken-enough-flak