PDA

View Full Version : Reasons that 2017 was a Great Season...

DesertSteel
02-06-2018, 04:48 PM
I know we didn't win the Super Bowl, or even get to it. For that reason alone, the season was a total failure in the eyes of some on here. However, Sports is great in and of itself for many different reasons. For example, it helped heal our country after 9-11.

My question for you is: why was the 2017 Steelers' season good, or great for you personally?

For me, it was great because I got to see my 12-year-old son get fully engaged in the Steelers for the first time. He's played for 5 years but could always take it or leave it when a Steelers game was on. Until this year. He got hooked. When Jesse James scored that TD against the Patriots, it was literally the most excited I've ever seen him his whole life. He went hysterical. When they reversed it he was stunned. I told him, welcome to the club. So winning the Super Bowl would have been a dream come true for me - getting to watch him experience that. But..... it was still a great Steelers' season in my house.

Here's to 2018!

pczach
02-06-2018, 05:02 PM
I know we didn't win the Super Bowl, or even get to it. For that reason alone, the season was a total failure in the eyes of some on here. However, Sports is great in and of itself for many different reasons. For example, it helped heal our country after 9-11.

My question for you is: why was the 2017 Steelers' season good, or great for you personally?

For me, it was great because I got to see my 12-year-old son get fully engaged in the Steelers for the first time. He's played for 5 years but could always take it or leave it when a Steelers game was on. Until this year. He got hooked. When Jesse James scored that TD against the Patriots, it was literally the most excited I've ever seen him his whole life. He went hysterical. When they reversed it he was stunned. I told him, welcome to the club. So winning the Super Bowl would have been a dream come true for me - getting to watch him experience that. But..... it was still a great Steelers' season in my house.

Here's to 2018!

That's awesome! Good for you, and good for your son.

I wish I had kids that shared my passion for the Steelers with me. My oldest son is an Eagles fan. I'm happy for him being able to enjoy his team winning a championship. My youngest son doesn't care about sports in any way.

I've been a sports junkie my entire life. I played a bunch of sports and have been a rabid fan of the Steelers for my entire life......and I have never been able to share any of that with my kids.

You're a lucky man!

DesertSteel
02-06-2018, 07:59 PM
That's awesome! Good for you, and good for your son.

I wish I had kids that shared my passion for the Steelers with me. My oldest son is an Eagles fan. I'm happy for him being able to enjoy his team winning a championship. My youngest son doesn't care about sports in any way.

I've been a sports junkie my entire life. I played a bunch of sports and have been a rabid fan of the Steelers for my entire life......and I have never been able to share any of that with my kids.

You're a lucky man!
Steeler Nation is a great clan to belong to. At least your son gets to enjoy the spoils of the Super Bowl win. That’s a great feeling. I used to work in the Philly area surrounded by Eagles fans. Their suffering is over lol.

Psycho Ward 86
02-06-2018, 08:15 PM
The Patriots lost in the most blue balling fashion ever in the superbowl

tube517
02-07-2018, 07:49 AM
I have some friends and co-workers who are Eagles fans and they are not annoying as my friends who are Crygirls fans. It's fun to watch them stick it in the Girls' fans faces :lol:

As far as the Steelers, this was disappointing and sad for me as I was expecting to go all the way. 2015 and 2016 - I did not expect much as they were missing alot of pieces. This year, I thought they had enough.

On to the free agency period and draft.

FrancoLambert
02-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Some great moments, but not a great season.

This season began with so much promise: loaded offense, favorable schedule, Pats declining.....and ended with a very disappointing playoff loss at home.....due to self-inflicted wounds by players and coaches and a tragic injury to a very valuable player.

Week to week it was a great season, but if you want to add championships it ended sour for me.

Born2Steel
02-07-2018, 09:36 AM
1. Ben committed to another year, even talked about another 3.

2. The CB group, the way they are utilized in Butler's defense, their overall play was 110% better than last year.

3. How good this offensive line really is.

4. Antonio Brown.

5. JuJu and T.J..

Edman
02-07-2018, 10:19 AM
1) Juju

2) T.J Watt

As far as the Steelers go, 2017 goes down as a good season, but hardly a great one.

st33lersguy
02-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Glad to hear, those kind of reasons can make a season better regardless of the results of the season

teegre
02-08-2018, 02:24 PM
League-wide, I really enjoyed the TD celebrations.

vasteeler
02-08-2018, 04:46 PM

This is the one time I disagree. I hate them. Most are just stupid

Lady Steel
02-08-2018, 10:07 PM
This is the one time I disagree. I hate them. Most are just stupid

That's why they're so awesome. :lol:

Mojouw
02-09-2018, 11:19 AM

I thought they were all universally hilarious.

Craic
02-09-2018, 12:15 PM
In hindsight, it was a disappointment for me. I lost a lot of excitement for football this year, even Steelers football. The injuries, the drama, but also not having anyone close to share it with (wife is good with the Steelers, but not a true fan. If pressed, she'll choose the Giants as she grew up there and her late father was a Giants fan). On top of that, I'm just sick and tired of reading about football on Mondays and pretty much every fanbase thinking "We would have won that game except for the refs!" (Well, every fanbase but Cleveland's. :chuckle:). There's no such thing as a close game anymore. It's seems to always be a "stolen" game.

That being said, also seeing the inconsistency in the reffing really stole my excitement as well. I was okay with it when it was literally on-the-field calls. Human error is part of the game. But, when the reviews were all done in a central location and the inconsistencies seemed even greater; when JuJu Smith gets fined and suspended for a legal hit (he wasn't coming back towards his own endzone) and the Bengals CB's suspension is waived when his hit was clearly illegal; it was all too much. Then, add to that the cost of tickets to watch any game, the stupidity of fanbases and how you literally take your life into your hands when you watch the Steelers as a visiting team (in several places), the price to watch a Steelers game live at home if you don't live in the area because all the league cares about is revenue . . . Well, this season, everything just seemed to add up to the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Of course, that may have just been me and where I was at mentally this fall. Just finishing my dissertation and graduating in December, there was almost a decade's worth of stress coming to a head. So, we'll see what happens next fall.

Iron Steeler
02-10-2018, 11:24 AM
As far as the Steelers, this was disappointing and sad for me as I was expecting to go all the way. 2015 and 2016 - I did not expect much as they were missing alot of pieces. This year, I thought they had enough.

On to the free agency period and draft.

The pieces were there. The culture was not. We have the most talented team that is worried more about their individual brand. They need to clean up focus and learn how to talk to media coaches included.