PDA

View Full Version : Le’Veon Bell Needs A Steelers History Lesson When It Comes To Fully Guaranteed Money

Shoes
02-03-2018, 12:41 PM
BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) FEBRUARY 3, 2018 AT 01:23 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell probably needs a history lesson when it comes to him knowing what to expect contract-wise from the organization this offseason and his agent Adisa Bakari should be the one to give it to him.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/leveon-bell-needs-steelers-history-lesson-comes-fully-guaranteed-money/

The Steelers need to draft or pick up a good RB.

DesertSteel
02-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Bingo! Bell and his 4.0 YPC are not worth $15M a year. He had the chance to put up a season for the ages to prove his worth and DID NOT. Instead, he put up mostly pedestrian numbers aside from 4-5 games.

teegre
02-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Bingo! Bell and his 4.0 YPC are not worth $15M a year. He had the chance to put up a season for the ages to prove his worth and DID NOT. Instead, he put up mostly pedestrian numbers aside from 4-5 games.

Worth $15 million... eh, probably not.

Pedestrian numbers... I disagree.

Bell had the 3rd most rushing yards (in one less game than Hunt & Gurley).

Bell had the 10th most receptions... which was only 3 less than Julio Jones, and ahead of AJ Green and Rob Gronkowski.

DesertSteel
02-03-2018, 04:47 PM
I was mainly referring to his averages on the pedestrian comment. 4.0 is pedestrian- middle of the pack. If a guy touches the ball over 400 times he’s gonna get volume yards.

- - - Updated - - -

If AB averaged 11 YPC no one would be calling him the greatest WR.

teegre
02-03-2018, 05:01 PM
I was mainly referring to his averages on the pedestrian comment. 4.0 is pedestrian- middle of the pack. If a guy touches the ball over 400 times he’s gonna get volume yards.

- - - Updated - - -

If AB averaged 11 YPC no one would be calling him the greatest WR.

True... but, he’s also getting those tough yards on 3rd-&-1... whether it be via rushing, or, as Ben’s safety valve.

Born2Steel
02-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Find a comparable player that has a career 4.3 rushing average, and a 8.5 career receiving average, with a minimum of 5 years in the league. Find that and I'll consider the 'just let him walk' plan. Must have an average 15 carries per game(Bell averages 20) and 10 receptions per game(Bell averages 12) as well.

No. He's not going to get a multi-year deal that pays him $15M per season. But to say he's not worthy based on his ability is wrong. He won't get that because that's not what the market says. He may get $10M - $12M though.

DesertSteel
02-03-2018, 10:38 PM
True... but, he’s also getting those tough yards on 3rd-&-1... whether it be via rushing, or, as Ben’s safety valve.
Bell is a good player and has come up huge several times. He’s just not worth $15M for 3+ years after 5 years of wear and tear. I saw a decline this year. I’d franchise him if it weren’t for the distraction he’d cause. But then again I might call his bluff and force him to retire.

Steelerchad
02-05-2018, 11:42 AM
I'd franchise him again at the steep price. Then the Steelers hold the power in the negotiation. Play under the one year deal and risk an injury that will drive down your future value, retire, or negotiate a fair and equitable 4-5year deal. Good luck negotiating a blockbuster deal going into year 7. It's been proven time and time again that RB's don't last in this league. I'd rather have a stable of solid backs than one stud either way. The 2 teams in yesterday's Super Bowl rolled with 3 and 4 RB's that all played significantly. Having Bell and no one else, sure seems like you are not protecting yourself from a key injury to derail your season at the most injury prone position on the field.
That being said, if he wants to play a 5 year $60M deal with about half guaranteed, I'm all for that. He's a great talent.

Mojouw
02-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Find a comparable player that has a career 4.3 rushing average, and a 8.5 career receiving average, with a minimum of 5 years in the league. Find that and I'll consider the 'just let him walk' plan. Must have an average 15 carries per game(Bell averages 20) and 10 receptions per game(Bell averages 12) as well.

No. He's not going to get a multi-year deal that pays him $15M per season. But to say he's not worthy based on his ability is wrong. He won't get that because that's not what the market says. He may get $10M - $12M though.

Yup - spot on. His career #'s actual back up Bell's valuation of $15 million per year. But the best he can hope for is like 12-14. If Bell and the Steelers can agree on the structure, I'm hoping where the team is really only on the hook for the first two years, I think they can get something done.

DesertSteel
02-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Yup - spot on. His career #'s actual back up Bell's valuation of $15 million per year. But the best he can hope for is like 12-14. If Bell and the Steelers can agree on the structure, I'm hoping where the team is really only on the hook for the first two years, I think they can get something done.
Based on what was leaked about last year's offer, how much better do you think the Steelers' offer will be this year, if at all?

AtlantaDan
02-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Based on what was leaked about last year's offer, how much better do you think the Steelers' offer will be this year, if at all?

FWIW this was included in a list of ESPN predictions for next season

Le'Veon Bell (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15825/le'veon-bell) signs a contract extension with the Steelers
Bell's new deal is heavily front-loaded but guarantees him more than $25 million and averages more than $12 million per year -- not the mega back/receiver deal of which Bell has been dreaming, but still pushing the top of the running back market well above where it is right now. A 2017 training camp holdout, Bell shows up on time for everything in 2018 and helps drive Pittsburgh's offense where it needs to go.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22310495/bold-nfl-predictions-2018-season-new-york-jets-sign-kirk-cousins-super-bowl-liii-pick-more

Another prediction is Steelers lose to Saints in next season's Super Bowl

DesertSteel
02-05-2018, 12:15 PM
FWIW this was included in a list of ESPN predictions for next season

Le'Veon Bell (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15825/le'veon-bell) signs a contract extension with the Steelers
Bell's new deal is heavily front-loaded but guarantees him more than $25 million and averages more than $12 million per year -- not the mega back/receiver deal of which Bell has been dreaming, but still pushing the top of the running back market well above where it is right now. A 2017 training camp holdout, Bell shows up on time for everything in 2018 and helps drive Pittsburgh's offense where it needs to go.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22310495/bold-nfl-predictions-2018-season-new-york-jets-sign-kirk-cousins-super-bowl-liii-pick-more

Another prediction is Steelers lose to Saints in next season's Super Bowl

Well.......... I'd like only $25M guaranteed! I just can't see Bell's ego going for that.

AtlantaDan
02-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Well.......... I'd like only $25M guaranteed! I just can't see Bell's ego going for that.

Agreed - signing bonuses are fully guaranteed and I am assuming he gets in the $12 -14 million range for just the bonus.

In his online chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo considers jumping on the let him walk bandwagon, with the caveat it will be tougher to replace Bell's receiving than rushing

Look at the RBs in the Super Bowl last night -- Blount, Clement, Ajayi, White, Lewis, Burkhead. None of them were high draft picks or highly paid players.... The NFL is a passing league. Does it help if you have a strong running game? Of course. But you had better have a QB that can execute at a high level. So yes, I'd be tempted to let Bell hit free agency and use the money elsewhere....

Bell's not signing anywhere for $8-10 million a year. Believe me, there is a team out there who will pay him $15 million a year, or close to it. Lots of teams have cap space to do it. ...

There is no doubt in my mind his running skills are replaceable. Not so sure his skills as a receiver can be replaced. And they know that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/05/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-2-5-18/stories/201802050088

86WARD
02-05-2018, 02:49 PM

There's a lot of positions that could be said for. RB, Backup QB, SS, FS, CB, LB, OLB, LB, OLB, DEPTH All Around...