PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Disappointed He Didn’t Get Steelers WR Job, Believes Haley Was A Scapegoat

Shoes
02-03-2018, 12:04 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) FEBRUARY 3, 2018 AT 08:00 AM
Hines Ward was passed over to replace Richard Mann as the next WRs coach, a move that frustrated many in Steelers’ Nation. Speaking for the first time since Pittsburgh hired Darryl Drake instead, Ward sounded disappointed to.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/hines-ward-disappointed-didnt-get-steelers-wr-job-believes-haley-was-scapegoat/

I think the Steelers made the right choice with Drake over Ward. Ward is an attention magnet. Having said that, I'm sure he can and has imparted some good to the receivers, but managing the entire WR department is another animal imo. As for Haley, not that he didn't earn the boot, most fans know it was a sacrifice to save Tomlin & Butler a bloody nose. You know sport politics.

Mojouw
02-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Well considering that Porter, Lake, and Olsavsky are average at best T their jobs, I’m solidly on the let’s stop hiring inexperienced former Steelers to coach every position.

Shoes
02-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Well considering that Porter, Lake, and Olsavsky are average at best T their jobs, I’m solidly on the let’s stop hiring inexperienced former Steelers to coach every position.

:lol:

st33lersguy
02-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Drake does have a great experienced track record, better than the let's hire another former steeler to play position coach even though the last few hires haven't panned out

AtlantaDan
02-03-2018, 12:20 PM

^^^^
This

“Coach Haley, what he did in Pittsburgh for five years, it’s crazy that he was the scapegoat,” Ward said. “You hate to see Todd Haley go.”

Ben did not hate to see Haley go and presumably was not lobbying hard for Hines to be the new receivers coach. Consider the possibility this is another shot fired by Hines with regard to his frosty relationship with Ben.

zulater
02-03-2018, 01:36 PM

Amen!

zulater
02-03-2018, 01:45 PM
BY ALEX KOZORA (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/alex-kozora/) FEBRUARY 3, 2018 AT 08:00 AM
Hines Ward was passed over to replace Richard Mann as the next WRs coach, a move that frustrated many in Steelers’ Nation. Speaking for the first time since Pittsburgh hired Darryl Drake instead, Ward sounded disappointed to.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/hines-ward-disappointed-didnt-get-steelers-wr-job-believes-haley-was-scapegoat/

I think the Steelers made the right choice with Drake over Ward. Ward is an attention magnet. Having said that, I'm sure he can and has imparted some good to the receivers, but managing the entire WR department is another animal imo. As for Haley, not that he didn't earn the boot, most fans know it was a sacrifice to save Tomlin & Butler a bloody nose. You know sport politics.

I think Haley earned the boot as much for his off the field crap as his poor relationship with Ben. Yeah it was his wife this last time, but he keeps putting himself in bad situations. He seemingly doesn't know how to walk away from trouble when it presents itself.

And I do think his shelf life here had expired. I think he gave this team a good offense for the most part. But he has a caustic personality, and he wears on players and coaches alike. Wouldn't surprise me if once everyone exhales and decompresses they plays a little more relaxed.One things for sure, this team was certainly an underperformer in the red zone. If we had made better on our red zone opportunities in the first Jacksonville game in the first 40 minutes of the game chances are we would have earned the 1 seed.

And I doubt much if anything will change in the sense of scheme or use of talent. Maybe Fichtner will prove to be a better red zone play caller?

Born2Steel
02-03-2018, 01:49 PM
DBs coach: Lake, Woodson, or Townsend?

OLBs coach: Porter or Green?

Who are some other "who would you rather" position coach scenarios involving ex-Steeler players?

steelreserve
02-03-2018, 02:09 PM

No shit. Good player does not automatically equal good coach.

Porter and Lake in particular I think were good mainly because they were just more talented than other players and had a lot of intensity. Not because they had some special mastery of tactics and strategy.

I could see a guy like Ward being all right, who was not necessarily the most physically gifted player but worked hard and knew every trick in the book. Then again, maybe not.

tube517
02-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Can't Hines be an assistant in training again? I mean he was a great Steeler but unproven as a coach. Drake was Hines' coach at Georgia. Drake's resume is far more impressive than Hines' 1 summer as an intern.

DesertSteel
02-03-2018, 03:20 PM
I happened to catch his interview in the car on NFL Radio. Hines also commented that there was too much ME on the Steelers 2017 team and is why they fell short. Some on here would say that it's just a few internet posters on this forum who hold that view, but many Steelers greats can see it too. It's the apologists who keep defending every selfish act of players like Bell, Bryant and Mitchell.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-03-2018, 03:23 PM
^^^^
This

“Coach Haley, what he did in Pittsburgh for five years, it’s crazy that he was the scapegoat,” Ward said. “You hate to see Todd Haley go.”

Ben did not hate to see Haley go and presumably was not lobbying hard for Hines to be the new receivers coach. Consider the possibility this is another shot fired by Hines with regard to his frosty relationship with Ben.

True, there is a window of 2 or 3 seasons left for Ben, but these moves are something that he had impact on for sure.

Haley had a top performing defense, but as mentioned earlier, its not like Carnell Lake or Joey Porter have done wonders with their position groups. Cleaning house was fine, but can we not get a OLB coach and Secondary coach that can take talent and make performers out of it, rather than talented players that embrace mediocrity??

Shoes
02-03-2018, 03:43 PM
True, there is a window of 2 or 3 seasons left for Ben, but these moves are something that he had impact on for sure.

Haley had a top performing defense, but as mentioned earlier, its not like Carnell Lake or Joey Porter have done wonders with their position groups. Cleaning house was fine, but can we not get a OLB coach and Secondary coach that can take talent and make performers out of it, rather than talented players that embrace mediocrity??

Yes, they can but it sometimes seems like this team is trying to make some kind of statement instead of getting the best person for the job, be it player or coach.

AtlantaDan
02-03-2018, 03:56 PM
I happened to catch his interview in the car on NFL Radio. Hines also commented that there was too much ME on the Steelers 2017 team and is why they fell short. Some on here would say that it's just a few internet posters on this forum who hold that view, but many Steelers greats can see it too. It's the apologists who keep defending every selfish act of players like Bell, Bryant and Mitchell.

Yep

Gerry Dulac referred to how the current team is viewed by former Steelers in his online P-G chat several weeks ago. Dulac presumably has chatted with Ward about it.

Trust me, their behavior and attitude sickens players from the past, and I'm not talking the 70s, 80s, or 90s. I mean the recent past, like since Ben has been here. Not all of them, but enough of them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/24/Gerry-Dulac-Steelers-chat-1-24-18/stories/201801240098

Shoes
02-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Yep

Gerry Dulac referred to how the current team is viewed by former Steelers in his online P-G chat several weeks ago. Dulac presumably has chatted with Ward about it.

Trust me, their behavior and attitude sickens players from the past, and I'm not talking the 70s, 80s, or 90s. I mean the recent past, like since Ben has been here. Not all of them, but enough of them.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/24/Gerry-Dulac-Steelers-chat-1-24-18/stories/201801240098

This is also a coaching issue, 100%

st33lersguy
02-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Yep

As it should, it's a team game, not about the individual

- - - Updated - - -

This is also is a coaching issue, 100%

Also agree, Tomlin has let the egos take over

SteelerFanInStl
02-03-2018, 06:14 PM

I agree 100%. Stop hiring these guys just because they used to play for the Steelers. Hines, go get some experience coaching first and then maybe you can get hired by the Steelers. Some things in life you have to earn. Drake was way more qualified than you.

Craic
02-03-2018, 11:01 PM

True. Hines Ward, though, seems to be in a bit of a different position because of the way he approached the game as a player. In fact, I don't think it'd be a stretch to say he took on a role of assistant WR coach even while he was playing. Moreover, he wasn't a player that could rely on talent. He had to bust his rear-end and work, which means he had to depend on technique and obtain the skills through a lot of sweat. My guess is that'd probably make him a pretty good coach. Lake and Porter, on the other hand, had more talent/athleticism for their positions.

I don't know, but of everyone you listed above, I think I'd rather have Ward at a WR coach than any of the others as coaches in their positions.

Mojouw
02-03-2018, 11:29 PM
True. Hines Ward, though, seems to be in a bit of a different position because of the way he approached the game as a player. In fact, I don't think it'd be a stretch to say he took on a role of assistant WR coach even while he was playing. Moreover, he wasn't a player that could rely on talent. He had to bust his rear-end and work, which means he had to depend on technique and obtain the skills through a lot of sweat. My guess is that'd probably make him a pretty good coach. Lake and Porter, on the other hand, had more talent/athleticism for their positions.

I don't know, but of everyone you listed above, I think I'd rather have Ward at a WR coach than any of the others as coaches in their positions.

If he really wants to coach, go get a job at a lower level and climb the ladder like everyone else. At least Porter did that.

Lady Steel
02-04-2018, 12:02 AM
I love Hines Ward and know he bleeds Black 'n Gold, but as soon as I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was that he should put himself out there as being available for a WR coaching gig. There was a rule named after him for crying out loud. I'm sure someone would hire him. :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfM6VLqh95M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QmrQySukr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt7XX-Kwx64