PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Shazier has been discharged from UPMC

tube517
02-01-2018, 01:20 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Ryan-Shaziers-father-asks-Steeler-Nation-to-Keep-Shalieving-114511088

p/Beqjm6LHQxr

shazier I’ve had a lot of 1st downs at UPMC, but you know being the defensive guy I am, my mind is on 3 and out. With that being said, I want everyone to know that I’m moving on to the next step of the process. Today’s a big day for me as I’m officially being released from the hospital.

I want to take a moment to thank the people who have helped me the past two months. First and foremost, I want to thank God because at the end of the day I don’t think I’d be making progress without His vision and hands protecting me and my family. I will continue to trust in Him and thank Him, because it all starts with Him.

To my family: you’ve been my rock. Words can’t express how thankful I am for you Michelle, RJ, Mom, Dad, and VJ for always being there for me. You’re my everything.

To Jerome: my trainer and best friend. Thank you for being there from day 1 and every day after continuing to push me to be better every day.

I’d like to thank Dr. Okonkwo, Dr. Harrington, Dr. Maroon, and Dr. Schroeder for their amazing work on my procedure and continuous care. I can’t appropriately express how grateful I am for how quickly you’ve helped me bounce back.

I want to thank the medical staff at UPMC for their amazing care, support and therapy they have given me- especially Joe, Nikki, Karolina and Dani. I know the staff will continue to help me find a way to keep on pushing as we continue therapy.

The support from my teammates has been truly amazing. From former players to current players and their families- they have helped me and my family day to day with visits and gifts. We can’t thank you enough. I want to thank Mr. Rooney, Coach T, Mr. Colbert, and the entire Steelers organization for the unwavering support they’ve given me. I knew they were an amazing organization, but more than ever they’re family to me.

Lastly, I want to thank Jimmy, Candice, and the CAA Sports staff for being here when I need them most. I don’t know if I’d be where I’m at or making the progress I’m making without you guys.

I want everyone to know that all of the support and prayers are absolutely being answered. I will continue to work hard and push and find a way back. #Shalieve #Steelers #prayfor50

steelreserve
02-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Well he can stand, sort of. Still great news for him. I don't think we'll ever see him on the field again, but if he can even get back to walking around normally, that's a win.

Fire Goodell
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Great news! Seeing him standing again makes me happy

zulater
02-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Well he can stand, sort of. Still great news for him. I don't think we'll ever see him on the field again, but if he can even get back to walking around normally, that's a win.

It is. And I don't want to see him on a field ever again. His head's down attacking of the ball carrier could result in permanent disablement or worse if there was a next time. We'd be holding our breath every time he went in head first on a hit. Maybe he could change his style? But if he did would he be the same player? If you play against your natural inclination do you have the same game impact? I doubt it. His tackling style should have been addressed years ago. Maybe it was, and he was incapable of adjusting his game? And of course his game was at such a high level you cringed and dealt with the risk to his health and the numerous times he over ran plays because of his head down attacks.

Psycho Ward 86
02-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Amazing. By the way Shazier and his dad have talked about it, it looks like he's fully intent on returning but I sure hope not. Be healthy Ryan.

Anyone know what that brace on his calf is?

pczach
02-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Amazing. By the way Shazier and his dad have talked about it, it looks like he's fully intent on returning but I sure hope not. Be healthy Ryan.

Anyone know what that brace on his calf is?

Just a guess. There are pressure points at that level that can relieve back pain by putting pressure on the nerves at that point of the calf.

Could just be a strained calf from the rehab. No way to know for sure.

tube517
02-01-2018, 04:18 PM

silver & black
02-01-2018, 04:22 PM
That's great news. I really hope doesn't play again. It just isn't worth the gamble.

86WARD
02-01-2018, 06:28 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/2073fc28456a0285a0a9f97ad46c05e1.jpg

I can’t wait to see him back on the field stronger than ever.

Hawkman
02-01-2018, 08:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/2073fc28456a0285a0a9f97ad46c05e1.jpg

I can’t wait to see him back on the field stronger than ever.

That is an awesome photo of two of them.

st33lersguy
02-01-2018, 08:03 PM
YAY!!!!!

Mojouw
02-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Excited for Ryan and his family. Honestly hope he never plays another down. Very few things are worth risking your life for. NFL is not one of them. But I don't have to make that call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady Steel
02-01-2018, 11:05 PM
It's so wonderful seeing Ryan standing with or without help. Yes, it is a great photo of the two of them and makes me smile.

stillers4me
02-02-2018, 05:30 AM
Winning!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Good to see him up and out of hospital. I hope he gets back full function of his legs, but honestly don't think he ever plays football again.

If he does play football, I hope he hears the words of former Buckeye Chris Spielman about tackling. "Eyes up, heads up, wrap up", because that positioning of his head and eyes down that he tackled with isn't a good position.

Moose
02-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Thank God - it's so great to see Ryan standing and smiling ! Now comes the hard work for him. I hope he keeps his motivation at the 'high' level he has. Walking will be the next big 'win' for him. The big and final hurdle for him will be months/year down the road, the decision of returning to football. A day to sit alone and do some serious meditation. Maybe in the coaching form, GOD knows we need good Defensive coaches !

DesertSteel
02-02-2018, 11:45 AM
I want to see Ryan do whatever makes him happy. If that's football, I hope he plays miraculously again with the same passion and athleticism, but smarter.

Craic
02-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Great to hear. I agree with Zu, however, I'll be holding my breath every time he is within 10 feet of someone if he comes back. Nevertheless, if his doctors give him a full release and he can play without danger of reinjury, then good on him. Just glad to see him up.

AtlantaDan
02-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Great to hear. I agree with Zu, however, I'll be holding my breath every time he is within 10 feet of someone if he comes back. Nevertheless, if his doctors give him a full release and he can play without danger of reinjury, then good on him. Just glad to see him up.

Agreed

Also glad the players’ union got something right for once and that the fifth year option is 100% guaranteed for injury rather than for some lesser amount - $8 million does not restore physical health but is provides financial security

vader29
02-04-2018, 08:18 AM

BlackAndGold
02-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Just great news. Doctors are amazing.

86WARD
02-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Reports today was he’s up and walking.

Craic
02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Agreed

Also glad the players’ union got something right for once and that the fifth year option is 100% guaranteed for injury rather than for some lesser amount - $8 million does not restore physical health but is provides financial security

I think there needs to be a waiver on the cap as well. If something like this happens and the player can't playing the following year because of serious injury (not retirement, but injury), the salary does not count against the cap.

AtlantaDan
02-05-2018, 03:48 PM

Schefter, who is not a doctor but plays one on twitter, might have overstated the actual extent of the progress, which nevertheless is encouraging.

Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) linebacker Ryan Shazier (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16727/ryan-shazier) has clarified his status as he progresses in his rehab from spinal stabilization surgery.Shazier used Twitter to call a report from NBC Sports' Michele Tafoya "100 percent correct" (https://twitter.com/RyanShazier/status/960338633881473025) that his lower-body movement is a work in process.

"Although he does have movement in his legs, he is not walking on his own," said Tafoya, citing a source close to Shazier who said the linebacker wanted to clarify his status. "Shazier needs assistance from a walker or other people or to support him in his rehabilitation walking, which remains a struggle."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22336562/ryan-shazier-pittsburgh-steelers-clarifies-walking-progress

BlackAndGold
02-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Ryan is at the Pens game.

AtlantaDan
02-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Ryan is at the Pens game.

BlackAndGold
02-06-2018, 06:57 PM

Just amazing.

GBMelBlount
02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
I want to see Ryan do whatever makes him happy.

If that's football,

I hope he plays miraculously again with the same passion and athleticism, but smarter.

Yes and yes.

Reading this brought tears to my eyes.

His attitude and thankfulness is amazing.

His glass is overflowing.

Truly inspirational.

pczach
02-06-2018, 08:59 PM

Absolutely awesome! Wow!

lipps83
02-06-2018, 09:08 PM

That is pretty awesome. Probably the best thing I have seen in weeks. Much love.

86WARD
02-07-2018, 04:56 AM
He’s getting there...

stillers4me
02-07-2018, 06:59 AM

hawaiiansteeler
02-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Could Derrick Johnson be a stopgap for the Steelers at linebacker?

By: Curt Popejoy

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/13/could-derrick-johnson-be-a-stopgap-for-the-steelers-at-linebacker/

Mojouw
02-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Could Derrick Johnson be a stopgap for the Steelers at linebacker?

By: Curt Popejoy

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/13/could-derrick-johnson-be-a-stopgap-for-the-steelers-at-linebacker/

No. Dear me no. The Chiefs cut his snaps because he is old and slow now. I mean Spence and Williams can be a half step slow just fine.

BlackAndGold
02-14-2018, 01:24 AM
Timmons will probably be cut by Miami, so he could be the LB they sign.

I'd be surprised if they were interested in DJ

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2018, 07:51 AM
No. Dear me no. The Chiefs cut his snaps because he is old and slow now. I mean Spence and Williams can be a half step slow just fine.

Agreed. Johnson is definitely not what we need.

Timmons will probably be cut by Miami, so he could be the LB they bring sign.

I don't think that Timmons is either. He was let go for a reason. While he's better than Spence, I'd much rather see us sign a younger, faster ILB who's better in coverage.

Mojouw
02-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Agreed. Johnson is definitely not what we need.

I don't think that Timmons is either. He was let go for a reason. While he's better than Spence, I'd much rather see us sign a younger, faster ILB who's better in coverage.

If the Steelers want to go the free agency route here are some under the radar names:

Avery Williamson LB Titans
Demario Davis LB Jets
Nigel Bradham LB Eagles
Tahir Whitehead LB Lions
Jon Bostic LB Colts
Devon Kennard LB Giants - would need to move inside.

I can't take credit for most of those names as others have posted many of them around the various threads related to Steelers linebackers, free agency, and the draft. But I would simply point out that I would rather roll the dice on a player between 25-28 hitting their peak then players clearly on the decline such as Johnson or Timmons. Name recognition is a scary thing in free agency.

steelreserve
02-14-2018, 11:38 AM
I don't think Timmons is "the" answer but he could still be useful to have on the team. Right now we have a problem two players deep - no one who can play Shazier's role AND no one who can step in for him even halfway decently.

I would hope we find someone better than Timmons to be the starter, but I think even though he may have lost a half-step, he is better than any of the backups we have right now, and could also be the backup/rotation player at both positions. He's probably about an average player at this point. And would also come fairly cheap.

I sure don't want to be counting on a starting lineup of Timmons-Williams, but on the other hand, even by bringing in a FA or high draft pick, we're still a twisted ankle away from the Williams-Spence or Williams-Moats shitshow. So we need more than just one guy. Timmons just seems to fit the need and the moment too well to ignore.

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2018, 12:02 PM
If the Steelers want to go the free agency route here are some under the radar names:

Avery Williamson LB Titans
Demario Davis LB Jets
Nigel Bradham LB Eagles
Tahir Whitehead LB Lions
Jon Bostic LB Colts
Devon Kennard LB Giants - would need to move inside.

I can't take credit for most of those names as others have posted many of them around the various threads related to Steelers linebackers, free agency, and the draft. But I would simply point out that I would rather roll the dice on a player between 25-28 hitting their peak then players clearly on the decline such as Johnson or Timmons. Name recognition is a scary thing in free agency.

Williamson and Bradham are the two that I'm most interested in.

Craic
02-14-2018, 12:03 PM
I don't think Timmons is "the" answer but he could still be useful to have on the team. Right now we have a problem two players deep - no one who can play Shazier's role AND no one who can step in for him even halfway decently.

I would hope we find someone better than Timmons to be the starter, but I think even though he may have lost a half-step, he is better than any of the backups we have right now, and could also be the backup/rotation player at both positions. He's probably about an average player at this point. And would also come fairly cheap.

I sure don't want to be counting on a starting lineup of Timmons-Williams, but on the other hand, even by bringing in a FA or high draft pick, we're still a twisted ankle away from the Williams-Spence or Williams-Moats shitshow. So we need more than just one guy. Timmons just seems to fit the need and the moment too well to ignore.

We don't often agree, but when we do . . . :chuckle:

I think you're exactly right.

BlackAndGold
02-14-2018, 12:52 PM
The Steelers wanted Timmons back, they just were not willing to give the guaranteed money that Miami offered.

If he's cut, I feel there is no doubt he'll be back. He'll comes cheap and he already knows the defense. Similar when they brought back Larry Foote after his 1 year with Detroit.

Shoes
02-14-2018, 01:25 PM

I don't think Timmons is much faster than Spence. Enough of these retreads!

steelreserve
02-14-2018, 01:32 PM
The Steelers wanted Timmons back, they just were not willing to give the guaranteed money that Miami offered.

If he's cut, I feel there is no doubt he'll be back. He'll comes cheap and he already knows the defense. Similar when they brought back Larry Foote after his 1 year with Detroit.

Oh man, yikes, they really fucked up the second year of his contract, he has a $5.5M base salary this year and an $8.5M cap hit. I thought that would make him a lock to be cut by Miami - but they guaranteed $4.5M of the base salary, so they'd only get a cap savings of $1M while eating $7M in dead money overall. That means they probably aren't letting him go except by trade.

Maybe we could pull that off while negotiating how much of the guaranteed money is picked up and by whom. Like - I'd be perfectly happy taking him back at a price of $2-3M or something, which would actually make the cap savings for Miami meaningful. More than that and it's just not worth it for us.

But being released outright is really the only way that would make it a no-brainer to sign him, though.

86WARD
02-14-2018, 03:50 PM
I’d take Timmons over Johnson but I’d rather go off of Mojouws list before those two.

pczach
02-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Oh man, yikes, they really fucked up the second year of his contract, he has a $5.5M base salary this year and an $8.5M cap hit. I thought that would make him a lock to be cut by Miami - but they guaranteed $4.5M of the base salary, so they'd only get a cap savings of $1M while eating $7M in dead money overall. That means they probably aren't letting him go except by trade.

Maybe we could pull that off while negotiating how much of the guaranteed money is picked up and by whom. Like - I'd be perfectly happy taking him back at a price of $2-3M or something, which would actually make the cap savings for Miami meaningful. More than that and it's just not worth it for us.

But being released outright is really the only way that would make it a no-brainer to sign him, though.

He really did shit the bed in Miami. They are extremely unhappy with him. Most things I have heard say that Miami is cutting him no matter what, but we all know that can change.

If Timmons is released, and he is willing to sign for a good number, it's a no-brainer. He knows both ILB positions, and he would immediately be better than any of the backups and maybe both starters without Shazier in the picture. Even if they want Vince Williams long-term, having Timmons as a starter early, while allowing them to draft ILB early and immediately improve the depth of the position makes sense. As long as Timmons understands that they're looking to get younger and more athletic at the position before he signs, it's a good move. As long as they either sign another good free agent ILB or draft one.

Imagine if Vince Williams gets hurt and your starting ILB's are Spence and Matakevich....or maybe Fort and Spence.....or Fort and Matakevich..... Let that sink in.

steelreserve
02-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Imagine if Vince Williams gets hurt and your starting ILB's are Spence and Matakevich....or maybe Fort and Spence.....or Fort and Matakevich..... Let that sink in.

That's basically the whole reason for signing Timmons.

I brought this up a while back in another thread, but it bears repeating ... Williams is fine, but not in a bubble. Meaning a guy with his skill set does not work without also having a guy with Shazier's or Timmons' skill set on the field. You can't have two Williams on the field or they will eat your lunch. And all the backups we had were backups with Williams' skill set. Kind of like if you were running a 4-3, a guy like McCullers and a guy who did nothing but generate pressure would work well together as DTs, but two McCullers would suck.

I think it's worth keeping Fort around to see what he turns into, he is unknown but could be the future Williams if we can't afford him. Everyone else I could care less about. I guess Makatevich has made some good ST plays so he could stick around in a DHB role, but it's not that big of a deal.

Born2Steel
02-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Timmons would be a huge help as far as making sure people are where they are supposed to be. Putting players in their gaps essentially. He's only going to be another of what we already have player-wise. He's limited to how far he's going to be able to cover somebody. We had him chasing WRs the season before he left. That's not what he's good at. Timmons' skill set, what he's really good at, would help us a lot in the run game and short pass game. We would still need that sideline to sideline ILB if we want to see much improvement from that group.

Mojouw
02-15-2018, 11:44 AM
You fine folks have sold me on bringing back Timmons. As long as that doesn't fool the front office into thinking they have "fixed" the position.

st33lersguy
02-15-2018, 12:15 PM
I say bring Timmons back if they can

steelreserve
02-15-2018, 12:28 PM
You fine folks have sold me on bringing back Timmons. As long as that doesn't fool the front office into thinking they have "fixed" the position.

The good thing about that is, he's got maybe a couple years left of being a serviceable player, so they'll have to be looking for a new guy no matter what. Unless you meant "fixed" the problem enough to put it off until next year, which would indeed be a huge mistake.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, though, because it seems in recent seasons they have been feeling that they are getting closer to a championship while also realizing how little time they have to do it, and they've taken a much more no-bullshit approach toward identifying the immediate problems and dealing with them head-on. Back around like 2010 or 2012 it all seemed geared toward fixing basic problems five years down the road, maybe. Thankfully they seem to understand the situation and are behaving differently now.

steel striker
02-15-2018, 02:42 PM
I would say bring Timmons back we, still need to draft somebody.

teegre
02-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Colbert just announced that he is indeed going to sign a veteran ILB.

Colbert rarely goes into ANY draft with a gaping hole on his roster. Expect a mid-level ILB to be signed, but replaced on the depth chart almost immediately by a R1 (or R2) pick.

Mojouw
02-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Colbert just announced that he is indeed going to sign a veteran ILB.

Colbert rarely goes into ANY draft with a gaping hole on his roster. Expect a mid-level ILB to be signed, but replaced on the depth chart almost immediately by a R1 (or R2) pick.

I agree on the Colbert and roster holes thing. Do you think that TWO ILBs could be signed?

Pre-Draft Depth Chart:

1. VW
2. Timmons
3. Other VET FA
4. Fort
5. Matekavich

The more I think about it, the more I kinda like that plan. It would mean that the Steelers don't HAVE to start a rookie LB. I mean they still likely should...but they wouldn't have too...

teegre
02-15-2018, 05:31 PM
I agree on the Colbert and roster holes thing. Do you think that TWO ILBs could be signed?

Pre-Draft Depth Chart:

1. VW
2. Timmons
3. Other VET FA
4. Fort
5. Matekavich

The more I think about it, the more I kinda like that plan. It would mean that the Steelers don't HAVE to start a rookie LB. I mean they still likely should...but they wouldn't have too...

I think Moats is that 5th ILB (while also being the 5th OLB). Moats fills two holes...

steelreserve
02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
I think Moats is that 5th ILB (while also being the 5th OLB). Moats fills two holes...

The problem is Moats SUCKS ASS now. He's completely ineffective in either role. Was an OK rotation player when we signed him, but those days are long past. I'd just as soon shove some 5th-round draft pick or minimum-salary FA in there and see if he's any good, won't be any worse.

SteelerFanInStl
02-15-2018, 06:05 PM
But Timmons isn't a FA so why is everyone talking about him? I'll take Avery Williamson or Nigel Bradham over Timmons any day. Let's sign someone who can be a quality starter for a while.

teegre
02-15-2018, 06:06 PM
The problem is Moats SUCKS ASS now. He's completely ineffective in either role. Was an OK rotation player when we signed him, but those days are long past. I'd just as soon shove some 5th-round draft pick or minimum-salary FA in there and see if he's any good, won't be any worse.

Going into the draft, he’s the 5th ILB/OLB.

After the draft, Yes, he’d be replaced by a R1 (or R2) pick.

steelreserve
02-15-2018, 06:27 PM
But Timmons isn't a FA so why is everyone talking about him? I'll take Avery Williamson or Nigel Bradham over Timmons any day. Let's sign someone who can be a quality starter for a while.

Because he's likely to be released, or traded for next to nothing (other than possible cap relief).

And because we need someone in addition to, not instead of, a quality starter, and Timmons fits that description for cheap. We need two guys at ILB unless we want to be paper-thin again.

Unfortunately we have one acceptable ILB on the roster (Williams), and even he isn't acceptable unless there's also someone competent beside him.

- - - Updated - - -

Going into the draft, he’s the 5th ILB/OLB.

After the draft, Yes, he’d be replaced by a R1 (or R2) pick.

2017 was the last year of his contract. Unless we re-sign him just to cut him, we probably don't have a 5th ILB going into the draft. At least I hope not. I don't think we want him on the team anymore, or that he offers anything more than a random street free agent signed after the draft at this point.

SteelerFanInStl
02-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Because he's likely to be released, or traded for next to nothing (other than possible cap relief).

And because we need someone in addition to, not instead of, a quality starter, and Timmons fits that description for cheap. We need two guys at ILB unless we want to be paper-thin again.

Unfortunately we have one acceptable ILB on the roster (Williams), and even he isn't acceptable unless there's also someone competent beside him.

I liked LT when he was on the Steelers but he's just not that good any more. I'd much rather sign a younger, faster FA who can help us for many years to come. They can start, along with VW, and then when the draft pick is ready, they can step in to replace VW and we'll have two quality starting ILBers.

teegre
02-15-2018, 09:13 PM
2017 was the last year of his contract. Unless we re-sign him just to cut him, we probably don't have a 5th ILB going into the draft. At least I hope not. I don't think we want him on the team anymore, or that he offers anything more than a random street free agent signed after the draft at this point.

Oh... that changes everything.

stillers4me
02-16-2018, 05:27 AM

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 12:22 PM

I honestly hope that he walks again and decides to move from the playing field to the coaching staff. Poorly phrased, but my hope is full recovery and not risking his health again on the field.

steelreserve
02-16-2018, 12:53 PM
I honestly hope that he walks again and decides to move from the playing field to the coaching staff. Poorly phrased, but my hope is full recovery and not risking his health again on the field.

Not to be a downer, but I think that decision is pretty much made for him. Let's not fool ourselves, he is a LONG way from even functioning normally, much less playing sports of any kind, to say nothing of professional football.

Yes, it's good to see any positive progress and we should be happy for it, but the condition he is in right now is a stark reminder that it's a world of difference from an ACL or a torn rotator cuff or any of the stuff you're used to seeing people "come back" from. If someone can get from there to playing middle linebacker in the NFL, I will eat horse shit like that guy in Philly. Not really, but you get the idea.

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Not to be a downer, but I think that decision is pretty much made for him. Let's not fool ourselves, he is a LONG way from even functioning normally, much less playing sports of any kind, to say nothing of professional football.

Yes, it's good to see any positive progress and we should be happy for it, but the condition he is in right now is a stark reminder that it's a world of difference from an ACL or a torn rotator cuff or any of the stuff you're used to seeing people "come back" from. If someone can get from there to playing middle linebacker in the NFL, I will eat horse shit like that guy in Philly. Not really, but you get the idea.

Yeah, I agree. Well not with the eating horse crap part, but I do see your point!

Assuming in say 4 months he regains total nerve function and movement. That's July before he can run, lift, and train at an NFL level again - at best. Likely September. Does anyone really think that even an elite athlete can not train for an entire off-season and then just let 'er rip in the NFL?

I mean the atrophied lower body muscle is going to be extensive. For a guy who relies on speed and lower body strength - how does that go well in 2018? Maybe 2019. Maybe.

I've hesitated on saying anything about this, because it is so far from being important for Shazier and his family...BUT...from a purely 2018 Steelers roster construction point of view, I fail to see how he has any hope of not being on either IR or the PUP all season.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2018, 01:38 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2018/01/15/1140x_q90_a10-7_cTC_ca0,16,1175,800/20180114Steelers11-7.jpg

steelreserve
02-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I agree. Well not with the eating horse crap part, but I do see your point!

Assuming in say 4 months he regains total nerve function and movement. That's July before he can run, lift, and train at an NFL level again - at best. Likely September. Does anyone really think that even an elite athlete can not train for an entire off-season and then just let 'er rip in the NFL?

I mean the atrophied lower body muscle is going to be extensive. For a guy who relies on speed and lower body strength - how does that go well in 2018? Maybe 2019. Maybe.

I've hesitated on saying anything about this, because it is so far from being important for Shazier and his family...BUT...from a purely 2018 Steelers roster construction point of view, I fail to see how he has any hope of not being on either IR or the PUP all season.

There is no way he is on the field at all in 2018. The only question is whether they carry him on IR/PUP leaving the door open to come back in a year or two, or he just retires. The former choice would also offer the option of signing him to a two- or three-year deal and spreading some of the cap hit from that $9M rookie option out. Then if he actually does return, tear it up and sign him to a real contract. (How's THAT for misprioritizing football first? Yet, it's a choice the team at least will have to make, probably before the start of the league year.)

In any event, do you EVER regain 4.4 speed and all-world lateral quickness after an injury like that? My gut feeling is no, more like hell no. Seeing the guy back on the field is a pipe dream, even ignoring the huge risk-reward decision he'd then have to make.

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 02:41 PM
There is no way he is on the field at all in 2018. The only question is whether they carry him on IR/PUP leaving the door open to come back in a year or two, or he just retires. The former choice would also offer the option of signing him to a two- or three-year deal and spreading some of the cap hit from that $9M rookie option out. Then if he actually does return, tear it up and sign him to a real contract. (How's THAT for misprioritizing football first? Yet, it's a choice the team at least will have to make, probably before the start of the league year.)

In any event, do you EVER regain 4.4 speed and all-world lateral quickness after an injury like that? My gut feeling is no, more like hell no. Seeing the guy back on the field is a pipe dream, even ignoring the huge risk-reward decision he'd then have to make.

I don't think there is much to say about all of that from a realistic POV other than "Agree". It may seem crass and morbid to talk about, but at some point folks within the Steelers organization need to be having cold and calculated discussions as well.

That being said, this is still the same organization that gave Spence time to come back. I think that as long as Shazier wants to try and the docs say it is possible - the Steelers find a path to allow him to try.

steelreserve
02-16-2018, 02:54 PM
I don't think there is much to say about all of that from a realistic POV other than "Agree". It may seem crass and morbid to talk about, but at some point folks within the Steelers organization need to be having cold and calculated discussions as well.

That being said, this is still the same organization that gave Spence time to come back. I think that as long as Shazier wants to try and the docs say it is possible - the Steelers find a path to allow him to try.

Oh yeah, no doubt if he wants to try to come back, they'll probably find a way to give him the chance. I just don't think he'll be able to.

As much of a miracle it was that Spence played again, this injury is far, far worse.

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Oh yeah, no doubt if he wants to try to come back, they'll probably find a way to give him the chance. I just don't think he'll be able to.

As much of a miracle it was that Spence played again, this injury is far, far worse.

I think that even if the nerves and motor function comes all the way back and it is my understanding that with this type of injury that is no guarantee; there just is no way that the raw speed, agility, and quickness that Shazier possessed comes all the way back. Guys talk all the time about how at the professional level any time off can lead to your physical edge being sanded down - I just don't see how a year or more removed from regimented training and football stuff will ever allow Shazier to play with all the physical gifts he once displayed.

I wish him all of the best and if he wants to try, I will certainly root for him until the day he decides to hang up his cleats. But I honestly think that we will forever be left wonder what might have been. However, I do believe that so far Shazier has displayed all the qualities and attributes that indicate he is a young man who will go one to have a wildly successful and fulfilling second and third acts in his life.

steelreserve
02-16-2018, 04:23 PM
I think that even if the nerves and motor function comes all the way back and it is my understanding that with this type of injury that is no guarantee; there just is no way that the raw speed, agility, and quickness that Shazier possessed comes all the way back. Guys talk all the time about how at the professional level any time off can lead to your physical edge being sanded down - I just don't see how a year or more removed from regimented training and football stuff will ever allow Shazier to play with all the physical gifts he once displayed.

I wish him all of the best and if he wants to try, I will certainly root for him until the day he decides to hang up his cleats. But I honestly think that we will forever be left wonder what might have been. However, I do believe that so far Shazier has displayed all the qualities and attributes that indicate he is a young man who will go one to have a wildly successful and fulfilling second and third acts in his life.

Yup, right on, and the only thing I can add to that is that Rob Gronkowski can suck my balls.

Born2Steel
02-16-2018, 05:19 PM
I think that until the day comes when Shazier himself decides he's retired, I'm on the 'return to the field' bandwagon. I know it's a wish and a prayer to ever see him out there again. But as long as Shazier is holding out hope and trying to get back, so am I. I cannot make myself diminish that hope even a little bit. I know he couldn't care less what we think on here, but if all I can do is offer encouragement with positive thoughts, then that's what I will do.

Mojouw
02-16-2018, 05:27 PM
I think that until the day comes when Shazier himself decides he's retired, I'm on the 'return to the field' bandwagon. I know it's a wish and a prayer to ever see him out there again. But as long as Shazier is holding out hope and trying to get back, so am I. I cannot make myself diminish that hope even a little bit. I know he couldn't care less what we think on here, but if all I can do is offer encouragement with positive thoughts, then that's what I will do.

Well said. I still have a dream vision that in 2019 a fully healthy and back to DPOY form Shazier, a fully formed Watt, a healthy and full potential realized Dupree, and Trumaine Edwards roam the linebacker level for the Steelers like a pack of wolves that all play inside and outside as well as sideline to sideline.