PDA

View Full Version : Gerry Dulac-"I Doubt Mike Mitchell will be back"

Psycho Ward 86
02-01-2018, 12:00 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02/gerry-dulac-doubt-mike-mitchell-will-back/

I think we are all aware of what time of the year it is, when it comes to the NFL calendar. Sure, the Super Bowl is going to take place in a few days, so maybe we’re a bit early, but for all practical purposes, the Pittsburgh Steelers and their fans are already full entrenched in offseason mode, with everything that entails.

For us, that means searching high and low for any type of information we can find about anything, or even indications of things. Yesterday, for example, we talked about how Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette, in response to a question on the topic, said he doesn’t believe the Steelers will pick up outside linebacker Bud Dupree’s fifth-year option.

That is not tangible or sourced, merely the opinion of a likely pretty well-informed beat writer, but it’s worth passing along. It’s certain to be based on more substantive information than any of us have, so that is why we choose to relay these messages.

And why I’m writing this one today. Bouchette’s colleague at the paper, Gerry Dulac, also held a chat, as is their routine, and he offered, unprompted, in response to one individual’s general question that he does not think the Steelers will retain safety Mike Mitchell this offseason.

The question was about Le’Veon Bell and whether that money could be better served working on the defense. Dulac offered as part of his response, “I doubt Mike Mitchell will be back”, while also talking about the fact that they will need to find somebody to replace Ryan Shazier, discussing defensive changes. Later in the chat, he suggested that they could draft a strong safety and move Sean Davis to free safety, where he plays.

Mitchell is the ‘biggest’ free agent acquisition in team history in terms of total payout. He was signed in 2014 early as an unrestricted free agent entering his sixth season after spending the first five years of his career with the Raiders and the Panthers, but it was only in the year prior that he entered the starting lineup.

He has been the Steelers’ starting free safety since then, for the past four years, and has worked with five different safeties starting next to him, including four full-time starters, beginning with Troy Polamalu in 2014, moving on to Will Allen in 2015, then Robert Golden for the start of the 2016 season, and finally Sean Davis. He also started one game alongside Jordan Dangerfield.

Through all of the turnover in the secondary during his time with the Steelers, he has been the lone consistent presence, and though frequently injured, it was only this year that he actually missed any time, limited to 14 games including the postseason.

But his performance has been heavily scrutinized since he has been here, and he is coming off a season in which he made no splash plays and just two passes defensed. His antics also escalated with his reported locker-room shout-down ahead of the team’s loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

SteelerFanInStl
02-01-2018, 12:08 PM
They need to sign/draft a replacement before they can get rid of him.

Mojouw
02-01-2018, 12:14 PM
They need to sign/draft a replacement before they can get rid of him.

Exactly! My response to Dupree and Mitchell are the same thing - in fact I pasted this post in both places. Despite the fact that they are under-performing their anticipated cap #'s, we need to look at Colbert's history on this stuff. He doesn't go into the draft with gaping holes in his starting 22. He certainly goes in with guys that need improvement and replacement, but he rarely (if ever) hits draft day with a total donut hole on the starting depth chart.

So for that reason, they likely hit the draft with Mitchell on the team. Doesn't mean he makes it past that point. But they will almost surely roster him until the draft. I mean what is the safety depth chart without him? Sean Davis and no one?

st33lersguy
02-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Hope he's right. $8 million for him to prance around and open his stupid mouth while he gets burned deep all the time and misses numerous tackles. Anyone is better than Mitchell

KillerBees
02-01-2018, 11:57 PM
Seems to be a strong safety class from what is being scouted. Maybe address the crucial ILB position to replace shazier in the 1st round and then take a safety in the second. With it being deep at that position maybe you could grab a 1st round talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Hope he's right. $8 million for him to prance around and open his stupid mouth while he gets burned deep all the time and misses numerous tackles. Anyone is better than Mitchell

Yeah, the cap savings for releasing him is big. I agree, saving cap space and replacing him with a guy that just plays the game instead of talking $hit all week and ending up on the back of a milk carton on Sundays is pretty much a no brainer.

Then again, sitting Antowan Blake was a no brainer and they let that clown start all season and Carnell Lake still is on the staff. Who knows what common sense is any more with the Steelers. That being said, they cut Harrison, so the same lack of logic will have them extending Mitchell.

Fire Goodell
02-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Lee flowers v2. Talked a lot of smack but nothing special

86WARD
02-02-2018, 11:38 AM
At this stage...I’d be happy if Lee Flowers was back there.

Fire Goodell
02-02-2018, 11:44 AM
At this stage...I’d be happy if Lee Flowers was back there.

True, at least the guy could tackle

DesertSteel
02-02-2018, 11:47 AM
1-- ILB
2-- RB
3-- S

That's my draft.

teegre
02-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Let’s put it this way:

The Steelers will likely have to cut either Mike Mitchell or Joe Haden.

(We all know the correct answer.)

BlackAndGold
02-04-2018, 12:05 PM
If they believe they land someone like Tre Boston via FA then yes I think they'll release MM.

Mojouw
02-04-2018, 12:47 PM
1-- ILB
2-- RB
3-- S

That's my draft.

Only one sticking point with that. The last times picks went like that the Steelers got Shazier and Bell in rounds 1 and 2. That would be awesome to repeat that! Problem is when you get to that 3rd round safety and Shamarko Thomas 2.0 comes off the board!

Day 1 starter at safety that contributes to a SB run is almost certainly the Steelers 1st round pick. ANything aside from that and you are looking at a 1-2 year timeline for "impact". Safety is a difficult transition to make. Sean Davis is still struggling. Landon Collins and Clinton-Dix took a few years to figure it out.

While I am increasingly thinking that moving on from Mitchell is a great idea, I am not sure that the Steelers can pull it off in 2018. Burns + Davis + a draft pick in the middle of the secondary might be too much stupid for any one team to handle.

Psycho Ward 86
02-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Only one sticking point with that. The last times picks went like that the Steelers got Shazier and Bell in rounds 1 and 2. That would be awesome to repeat that! Problem is when you get to that 3rd round safety and Shamarko Thomas 2.0 comes off the board!

Day 1 starter at safety that contributes to a SB run is almost certainly the Steelers 1st round pick. ANything aside from that and you are looking at a 1-2 year timeline for "impact". Safety is a difficult transition to make. Sean Davis is still struggling. Landon Collins and Clinton-Dix took a few years to figure it out.

While I am increasingly thinking that moving on from Mitchell is a great idea, I am not sure that the Steelers can pull it off in 2018. Burns + Davis + a draft pick in the middle of the secondary might be too much stupid for any one team to handle.

Im not dishing out an $8 million dollar cap hit for a safety who forced 0 turnovers and deflected 2 passes despite being targeted constantly. Period.

We need to take out the trash. Even if we get a slight upgrade for a similar contract, thats a "successful" offseason move, in some capacity. Im still eyeballing Morgan Burnett or Eric Reid as realistic safeties for us to target

pczach
02-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Im not dishing out an $8 million dollar cap hit for a safety who forced 0 turnovers and deflected 2 passes despite being targeted constantly. Period.

We need to take out the trash. Even if we get a slight upgrade for a similar contract, thats a "successful" offseason move, in some capacity. Im still eyeballing Morgan Burnett or Eric Reid as realistic safeties for us to target

That's where it gets very interesting. If they think they can jettison Mitchell, and sign a second tier safety that can give similar production for half the money, they can then use that money towards another FA or roll the dice by giving up a high draft pick next year for a pick this year to get a player they love. I know they don't normally do that, but if ever there is a time to do something drastic with Ben nearing the end of his career, this is the time to take chances to try to win now.

So many tough decisions for team this year after the defensive flameout in the playoffs. Shazier's injury was a titanic loss and created another hole to fill when they are least equipped to deal with it because of the limited draft picks.