PDA

View Full Version : Cam Heyward: Saying the Steelers lack discipline is a load of crap

stillers4me
01-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward is a little bit lonely at the Pro Bowl. Sure, he has eight other teammates with him, but seven of them are offensive players and the other is place kicker Chris Boswell. He’s the only Steelers defender who will play in the game.

“After the [Jacksonville] game, I didn’t know if I even wanted to come for a while,” Heyward said Thursday after the AFC practice at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. “But you have to make the most of a situation. It’s an awesome experience. Every player should get to experience this. Now I have to tell my guys to get back here, too. Hopefully, we’re busy [playing in a Super Bowl], but I want to see more defensive guys here.”

The Steelers aren’t playing in the Super Bowl, and many fans believe it’s due to the team being undisciplined........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/25/pro-bowl-Cam-Heyward-Ben-Roethlisberger-drama-jaguars/stories/201801250159?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1516919356

AtlantaDan
01-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward is a little bit lonely at the Pro Bowl. Sure, he has eight other teammates with him, but seven of them are offensive players and the other is place kicker Chris Boswell. He’s the only Steelers defender who will play in the game.

“After the [Jacksonville] game, I didn’t know if I even wanted to come for a while,” Heyward said Thursday after the AFC practice at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. “But you have to make the most of a situation. It’s an awesome experience. Every player should get to experience this. Now I have to tell my guys to get back here, too. Hopefully, we’re busy [playing in a Super Bowl], but I want to see more defensive guys here.”

The Steelers aren’t playing in the Super Bowl, and many fans believe it’s due to the team being undisciplined........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/25/pro-bowl-Cam-Heyward-Ben-Roethlisberger-drama-jaguars/stories/201801250159?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1516919356

This quote from the Cam Heyward interview

"It wasn’t like guys were getting arrested or anything, or being caught with stuff."

So now we know the benchmark for what constitutes lack of discipline on the Steelers

The standard is the standard indeed

Edman
01-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Blake Bortles. 45 Points. One and Done. Shut up.

Just shut the hell up, Cam. You clowns talked a big game all season, and couldn't back it up. You blew it. Time to pay the price for your complete and utter FAILURE. The person you just cut for being a "cancer" is now playing the Super Bowl, while your asses are sitting on the couch watching him, on the very same team that you vowed to stop. Just shut your mouth, but then again, knowing how you open your mouth after embarrassing yourself just goes to PROVE how undisciplined you are. But hey, the beating of the empty drum, just like that big mouthed cliche-spouting cheerleader of a head coach.

If Cam put as much effort into sacking the QB (Great disappearing act BTW) than he did running his mouth, maybe the Steelers would've played an extra week or so.

You want to take crap? You better back that up, or you're going to get ridden hard for it. The Steelers deserve any and all mockery and criticism coming their way. Blake Bortles. 45 Points.

The Steelers have talent, but thats it. They have no discipline or killer instinct and continually underachieve, and are poorly coached. Thanks for the embarrassing offseason we're about to endure.

Mojouw
01-25-2018, 05:32 PM
I don't get the personal sense of embarrassment that many feel regarding the performance, success, or failure of the Pittsburgh Steelers. That is not meant as a criticism or a jab at anyone, but honestly asking because it may help me understand how adamant and emotional many are after a loss.

I mean I root for the team, I obsessively follow the team, I think and read about football year round -- but I have very little day to day emotional investment going on. I mean if the Steelers lose, I'm pissed for like a couple of hours. If they win, happy for a few hours. During games, well that's different - because clearly the team can hear me when I shout things at them!

But I'm not going to carry any embarrassment or anger through an off-season and in my daily life because some dudes I don't even know did or did not do something.

steelreserve
01-25-2018, 05:36 PM
"It wasn’t like guys were getting arrested or anything, or being caught with stuff."

Yeah, I'm not doing any of those things either, but I don't go around congratulating myself on it, because that's really just the basic shit you're supposed to do to function as a human being.

On the other hand, if I was, say, a truck driver, and I went to the wrong address on every delivery all day because I wasn't paying attention ... they would probably call that undisciplined even though I wasn't getting arrested or caught with drugs. See the difference?

Hawkman
01-25-2018, 08:00 PM
I don't get the personal sense of embarrassment that many feel regarding the performance, success, or failure of the Pittsburgh Steelers. That is not meant as a criticism or a jab at anyone, but honestly asking because it may help me understand how adamant and emotional many are after a loss.

I mean I root for the team, I obsessively follow the team, I think and read about football year round -- but I have very little day to day emotional investment going on. I mean if the Steelers lose, I'm pissed for like a couple of hours. If they win, happy for a few hours. During games, well that's different - because clearly the team can hear me when I shout things at them!

But I'm not going to carry any embarrassment or anger through an off-season and in my daily life because some dudes I don't even know did or did not do something.

You drive me crazy with your reasonable remarks!:heh:

vasteeler
01-25-2018, 08:12 PM

Agreed. I told my son I was glad it was an early game that way by the time Sunday night came along I would be over it... I was .

st33lersguy
01-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Word of advice Cam, speaking strong words to the media is not going to change perceptions about lack of discipline, in fact it's only going to add more negative attention. If you don't want people saying your team lacks discipline, maybe the team shouldn't resemble a soap opera off the field with never ending drama. Also, a team featuring 10 pro bowlers shouldn't go one-and-done in a putrid AFC and lose at home to an inferior Jaguars team playing shitty ass Blake Bortles. Maybe reflect on why you are practicing in the pro bowl and not the Super Bowl instead of being defensive when people criticize your team for under-performing

SteelerFanInStl
01-25-2018, 08:58 PM

Yea, I don't get that at all.

Craic
01-25-2018, 09:47 PM

I think for some (a general some, as in fans of every team), they go around bragging about their team and being real asses about it. So, when their team loses, they get it back in spades.

Count Steeler
01-26-2018, 05:15 AM
I think for some (a general some, as in fans of every team), they go around bragging about their team and being real asses about it. So, when their team loses, they get it back in spades.

Bingo. That is why I love to hate the Pats*. I talk very little sports outside of this forum, and I never talk smack. However, when the Steelers get embarrassed, I will still likely get a few jabs. Kind of like the 80/90s when the televangelists were getting outed. People knew I was a Christian and somehow thought that I was responsible for their conduct.

DesertSteel
01-26-2018, 09:32 AM
You drive me crazy with your reasonable remarks!:heh:
Yeah we should drive out to Wisconsin and tar and feather him! :D

- - - Updated - - -

One caveat to Cam's comments: He's only ever played for the Steelers and only had Tomlin as his coach. When he says there's not a lack of discipline, he has nothing from which to compare beyond hearsay from other players he may know.

AtlantaDan
01-26-2018, 10:12 AM
One caveat to Cam's comments: He's only ever played for the Steelers and only had Tomlin as his coach. When he says there's not a lack of discipline, he has nothing from which to compare beyond hearsay from other players he may know.

He also played during the Terrelle Pryor era at that zero tolerance for off the field shenanigans Ohio State program under Jim Tressell :chuckle:

So agreed he might be pretty much clueless on what it is like to be be in work settings strongly associated with personal accountability for off the field conduct

Mojouw
01-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Yeah we should drive out to Wisconsin and tar and feather him! :D

It's too cold! The tar won't run!

AtlantaDan
01-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Saying the Steelers are undisciplined is a load of crap but stuff has to stop :noidea:

Reflecting on a Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) season stocked with weekly drama, defensive end Cameron Heyward (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/13977/cameron-heyward) would like to see less of it in 2018.Heyward told ESPN from this week's Pro Bowl preparations that the team would be wise to chill from the distractions and antics after a 13-win season ended with a playoff loss to Jacksonville.

"I just challenge all of us to not let that stuff happen again," Heyward said. "Who's to say we have to have all that stuff going on? We can be a better team because of it, grow from it, but that stuff is not going to get us anywhere. ... We've just got to make smarter decisions. Guys got to grow. I thought it got way too much media publicity with it. We've got to close ranks and get back to work."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22224186/pittsburgh-steelers-de-cameron-heyward-wants-less-distractions-2018

Which sounds similar to what some of us have been posting here for months

FrancoLambert
01-26-2018, 08:43 PM
He's surprised about the amount of media publicity....really.

All created by several teammates and coaches.....drama....tension....egos....bravado... .and throw in a tragic injury to top it off.

How about as a team leader, he tells his teammates to keep their mouth shut and just play ball. :rolleyes:

teegre
01-27-2018, 07:10 AM
:director: I HATE CAM HEYWARD!!! I HOPE THAT HIS KID GETS A TRIPLE-DECKER ICE CREAM CONE AND THEN DROPS IT ONTO A STEAMING PILE OF DOG CRAP!!!!!

Craic
01-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Saying the Steelers are undisciplined is a load of crap but stuff has to stop :noidea:

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Good kids still get into trouble at times, but that doesn't mean they're no longer good kids. Undisciplined is at the far end of the spectrum, and I don't think the Steelers are there. What proof do I offer? Antonio Brown has an on-field incident; It doesn't happen again. Bryant has a conniption; he's benched and we hear nothing from him thereafter; James Harrison disturbs the lockerroom because he's made at his playing time; James Harrison is released. Steelers were just below average in penalties per game in 2016; they reduced the penalties to be 13th fewest ppg in 2017 (and that's with two games against the Bungles and one game against the Pats*).

So, undisciplined? No. Room for improvement? Absolutely.

DesertSteel
01-29-2018, 09:31 PM
I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Good kids still get into trouble at times, but that doesn't mean they're no longer good kids. Undisciplined is at the far end of the spectrum, and I don't think the Steelers are there. What proof do I offer? Antonio Brown has an on-field incident; It doesn't happen again. Bryant has a conniption; he's benched and we hear nothing from him thereafter; James Harrison disturbs the lockerroom because he's made at his playing time; James Harrison is released. Steelers were just below average in penalties per game in 2016; they reduced the penalties to be 13th fewest ppg in 2017 (and that's with two games against the Bungles and one game against the Pats*).

You make a good argument.

Craic
01-29-2018, 09:43 PM
You make a good argument.

Thanks, I get lucky once in a while. :chuckle:

In all honesty, I don't think we're too bad, but we definitely have room for improvement.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Good points - but undisciplined does not mean criminal by most objective standards unless a player wants to define it that way to claim his team is not undisciplined - how about lack of focus? (e.g. - AB had a history of excessive celebration penalties and the Facebook issue prior to the Gatorade incident, Bell has both suspensions and an "active" Twitter feed, the defense continues to blow assignments through the Jax playoff fiasco)

:drink:

DesertSteel
01-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks, I get lucky once in a while. :chuckle:

In all honesty, I don't think we're too bad, but we definitely have room for improvement.
The one area you listed that is a little shaky is the James Harrison situation. I would say that they let his shenanigans go on way too long if reports are correct. Multiple instances of leaving the stadium on game day and snoring in position meetings. Instead of cutting him, perhaps suspending him for the last 4 games would have been more prudent. I can't stand the idea of rewarding him with a super bowl ring.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2018, 10:30 AM
The one area you listed that is a little shaky is the James Harrison situation. I would say that they let his shenanigans go on way too long if reports are correct. Multiple instances of leaving the stadium on game day and snoring in position meetings.

Did he really sleep in meetings?

“Who hasn’t fell asleep at a meeting,’’ Harrison replied. :noidea:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/29/James-Harrison-pursuing-a-third-Super-Bowl-ring-Steelers-New-England-Patriots-Bill-Belichick-departure-Franco-Harris/stories/201801290137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td67kYY9mdQ

Craic
01-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Good points - but undisciplined does not mean criminal by most objective standards unless a player wants to define it that way to claim his team is not undisciplined - how about lack of focus? (e.g. - AB had a history of excessive celebration penalties and the Facebook issue prior to the Gatorade incident, Bell has both suspensions and an "active" Twitter feed, the defense continues to blow assignments through the Jax playoff fiasco)

Unfocused/lack of focus works very well. Ben and retirement, Bell and his contract, Bryant and playing time . . . That's a great word for it.

The one area you listed that is a little shaky is the James Harrison situation. I would say that they let his shenanigans go on way too long if reports are correct. Multiple instances of leaving the stadium on game day and snoring in position meetings. Instead of cutting him, perhaps suspending him for the last 4 games would have been more prudent. I can't stand the idea of rewarding him with a super bowl ring.
Could be. I'm not in a position to know those things. However, it wasn't made public at the time (as far as I know. I could be wrong). In the end, that's what most of us react to . . . the publicity of issues that should remain in house.

Born2Steel
01-30-2018, 11:58 AM
"Lack of Discipline"

I'm really not concerned with how players are disciplined by the coaching staff, in a corporal manner. Team discipline on the field has not bothered me either, other than when penalties happen that negate a first down play, back us up out of the redzone/FG range, or 3rd down penalties that don't let our defense get off the field. The area where discipline becomes an issue to me is in critical decision situations. The chaotic end to the Patriots game is a good example. Yes, I agree JJ caught the ball and scored it. But what keeps that game in my mind was the confusion after the review. The entire offense should have been huddled with the coaches planning the next play like the game depended on them, because it did. Instead it looked like 11 guys staring at each other and a bunch of offensive coaches shrugging shoulders. Nobody knew what was supposed to happen next. It devolved into sandlot football.
These are things that should get handled professionally, starting in the position group meetings. Keeping players heads in practice is tough starting at the peewee level. But pros should know how to go to work, and do their job. That's what practices are for. During games, instead of a sideline playground, that time should be more focused on what's going on in the game itself. Not saying everyone is just goofing off, but there needs to be more of a business feel when the cameras pan the Steelers sideline, instead you see guys joking and playing.
When I think of discipline issues with the Steelers, this is what I think of first. I have coached kids from 6 up to 6th grade. It can be a lot like herding cats at times. But establish conduct rules and other problems don't happen as often. It's a matter of focused energy and it is a discipline problem with this team.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2018, 12:09 PM
"Lack of Discipline"

I'm really not concerned with how players are disciplined by the coaching staff, in a corporal manner. Team discipline on the field has not bothered me either, other than when penalties happen that negate a first down play, back us up out of the redzone/FG range, or 3rd down penalties that don't let our defense get off the field. The area where discipline becomes an issue to me is in critical decision situations. The chaotic end to the Patriots game is a good example. Yes, I agree JJ caught the ball and scored it. But what keeps that game in my mind was the confusion after the review. The entire offense should have been huddled with the coaches planning the next play like the game depended on them, because it did. Instead it looked like 11 guys staring at each other and a bunch of offensive coaches shrugging shoulders. Nobody knew what was supposed to happen next. It devolved into sandlot football.
These are things that should get handled professionally, starting in the position group meetings. Keeping players heads in practice is tough starting at the peewee level. But pros should know how to go to work, and do their job. That's what practices are for. During games, instead of a sideline playground, that time should be more focused on what's going on in the game itself. Not saying everyone is just goofing off, but there needs to be more of a business feel when the cameras pan the Steelers sideline, instead you see guys joking and playing.
When I think of discipline issues with the Steelers, this is what I think of first. I have coached kids from 6 up to 6th grade. It can be a lot like herding cats at times. But establish conduct rules and other problems don't happen as often. It's a matter of focused energy and it is a discipline problem with this team.

The end of New England game fiasco gets back to the head coach

At the end of the season it came out that Randy Fitchner had been moved from upstairs to the sidelines because Ben and Haley literally were never speaking to each other during games - well almost never :rolleyes:

So while Al Riveron was working his magic in reviewing the James catch no surprise Ben and Haley were not discussing what plays to run if the TD was overturned - it was and hilarity ensued

Tomlin needed to tell Ben and Haley he knew they hated each other but since nobody was leaving until after the season to cut the crap until then

Looking forward to the end of season statement/interview by AJRII that I recall is given after the Super Bowl - this season has to be a bitter disappointment to him and I expect him to speak candidly about how frustrated he is with how the 2017 Steelers went about doing their business

teegre
01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
re: The Time Out During the JJ TD Review

In Tomlin’s and BB’s defense, the referees had told them that “worst case” the ball was going to be placed on the one-inch line. Ergo, the two plays that Tomlin/Haley/BB had set up were runs.

When the refs paced the ball at the 10-yard line (instead of at the goalline), everything changed.

Born2Steel
01-30-2018, 02:39 PM

In Tomlin’s and BB’s defense, the referees had told them that “worst case” the ball was going to be placed on the one-inch line. Ergo, the two plays that Tomlin/Haley/BB had set up were runs.

When the refs paced the ball at the 10-yard line (instead of at the goalline), everything changed.

Ok. But everyone else knew that 'worse case' was an incomplete pass. The only 2 calls that could have been made there were TD or Incomplete. How does the ball at the 1inch line even happen there? If the official actually told the Steelers coaches that, there should have been a complaint filed.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2018, 04:09 PM

When Tomlin engaged in this Tomlinspeak summation of what was going on while the TD was under review I do not recall any discussion of two running plays having been called if the TD was overturned and James was ruled down short of the goal line.

"There was a scenario that transpired that was ruled incomplete but it was also scenario that was probably more critical and more time specific that was being discussed," Tomlin said. "It was being discussed by us. It was presented to us by the officials during the review process that if he ruled completed catch down in bounds that was probably the most significant element of the discussion as opposed to last play.

"While we were in review, that was being discussed because if his knee was down in the field of play, it would be a 10 second run off, they'd spot the ball, run the clock and we'd be faced with a running clock in that circumstance. This was probably the most significant element of the discussion when they were in review and that was presented to us by one of the officials. ... He gave us an alert that may include a 10 second run off in a running clock. So obviously, 10 second run off, running clock that's the scenario that maintained most of our attention in terms of what could happen as they came out of review. What did happen as they came out of review obviously is probably the least of the scenarios from my expectations which was if [they] ruled an incomplete pass."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000895612/article/mike-tomlin-defends-big-bens-fake-spike-vs-pats

If James would have been ruled down short of the goal line and 10 seconds would have been run off the clock, the Steelers then would have needed to get up to the line with no time outs prior to possibly running 2 plays with 18 seconds left down three before kicking the field goal to tie. If they actually did have 2 running pays called under that scenario that is even more baffling than what did happen.

Bottom line it was not too difficult to have 2 plays called for either of 2 scenarios if the TD was overturned - second and goal inside the one and second and goal at the 10. Scenario three was the TD was upheld, in which case Todd says drinks are on Todd at Tequila Cowboy.

IMO that cluster was the last nail in Todd's coffin for AJR II.

Mojouw
01-30-2018, 04:15 PM
The pass to DHB scores from the one inch line. Just saying.

AtlantaDan
01-30-2018, 04:36 PM
The pass to DHB scores from the one inch line. Just saying.

Assuming Todd was going to call that play regardless of distance and the Pats play it the same way true - pass defense drops are not necessarily the same when you have ten yards behind you rather than 20 yards behind you to defend. As we saw, it sometimes get a bit more congested in the end zone.

Usually it is something that happens in the playoffs that is regarded as determining for a good team how a season turned out - that sequence after JuJu's catch and run will be the great what if for the 2017 Steelers and (perhaps) what is marked as the beginning of the end for Tomlin.

teegre
01-30-2018, 05:45 PM
If they actually did have 2 running pays called under that scenario that is even more baffling than what did happen.

My bad. It was “short-yardage” plays (probably two-point conversion plays). I inserted the words “running plays” (because, that is my first thought whenever it is goal-to-goal).

AtlantaDan
01-30-2018, 06:00 PM
My bad. It was “short-yardage” plays (probably two-point conversion plays). I inserted the words “running plays” (because, that is my first thought whenever it is goal-to-goal).

Thanks for the clarification - my assumption it was conceivable Todd would dial up two running plays in that scenario indicates my view of his play calling skillz

teegre
01-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification - my assumption it was conceivable Todd would dial up two running plays in that scenario indicates my view of his play calling skillz

Well, we know for certain that it wasn’t going to be a QB sneak.