PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

hawaiiansteeler
01-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Kiper has the Steelers taking a linebacker in the first round for the fifth time in the past six years.

Bryan DeArdo

"The big looming question for the Steelers is Ryan Shazier's future, and no one knows if he'll play again," Kiper wrote. "Even if he returns, though, the Steelers need depth at linebacker. Evans is versatile enough to play inside or outside, and he had 15 career sacks at Alabama, where he often played on the edge and blitzed. He is a perfect fit in the middle of a modern-day defense -- he can play every down."

Despite finishing in the top-5 in several NFL rankings, Pittsburgh's defense struggled without Shazier, allowing an average of 132 rushing yards per game after losing their Pro Bowl linebacker 13 weeks into the 2017 season.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Kiper-has-Steelers-drafting-ILB-Rashaan-Evans-in-1st-Mock-Draft-113884271

Fire Goodell
01-18-2018, 03:57 PM
I can dig it. Heck I don't mind if we spend our first 2 picks on inside backers. We really need help there. Matakevich couldn't even beat out Spence, which means our depth is just horrible as well. Lack of capable ILB depth ultimately might have done us in, there was a huge drop off from Shazier to Spence (All-pro to guy who been cut by the Colts and Titans in the same year)

I wanted to believe that Matakevich could have been a contributor beyond special teams, but that confidence is shot if Spence / Fort were options ahead of him. The guy has the smarts for football, but just lacks the talent for the big leagues. Probably may be good coaching material in the future though.

tube517
01-18-2018, 04:14 PM
I can dig it. Heck I don't mind if we spend our first 2 picks on inside backers. We really need help there. Matakevich couldn't even beat out Spence, which means our depth is just horrible as well. Lack of capable ILB depth ultimately might have done us in, there was a huge drop off from Shazier to Spence (All-pro to guy who been cut by the Colts and Titans in the same year)

I wanted to believe that Matakevich could have been a contributor beyond special teams, but that confidence is shot if Spence / Fort were options ahead of him. The guy has the smarts for football, but just lacks the talent for the big leagues. Probably may be good coaching material in the future though.

Matakevich was injured in the Bengals game (where Shazier was injured) and just had surgery. He was limited to special teams only since the Bengals game.

However, I agree with you. I'd like to see 2 ILBs taken or 1 in draft and 1 in free agency. The depth is weak.

AtlantaDan
01-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Nah - Steelers can roll next season with the worst ILB in football

Spence was rated as the worst linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus for this season, a 26.3 rating it classifies as “poor” and 88th among the 88 linebackers it graded (and 8.6 behind No. 87, Darron Lee). Spence had the worst run-defense PFF rating among linebackers and the fifth-worst coverage grade. The Steelers replaced him in obvious passing downs with L.J. Fort.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13196148-74/despite-improvement-steelers-sean-spence-rates-as-nfls-worst-linebacker

Nobody could reasonably foresee Ryan Shazier's career was probably going to end this year, but with his injury history it was foreseeable he could miss significant time. Someone other than Spence and Butler gets the blame for the Steelers having no Plan B if Shazier missed significant time beyond signing someone sitting at home in December who the Colts released.

GBMelBlount
01-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Spence was rated as the worst linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus for this season, a 26.3 rating it classifies as “poor” and 88th among the 88 linebackers it graded (and 8.6 behind No. 87, Darron Lee). Spence had the worst run-defense PFF rating among linebackers and the fifth-worst coverage grade. The Steelers replaced him in obvious passing downs with L.J. Fort.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13196148-74/despite-improvement-steelers-sean-spence-rates-as-nfls-worst-linebacker

Nobody could reasonably foresee Ryan Shazier's career was probably going to end this year, but with his injury history it was foreseeable he could miss significant time.

Someone other than Spence and Butler gets the blame for the Steelers having no Plan B if Shazier missed significant time beyond signing someone sitting at home in December who the Colts released.

So there were no possible scheme adjustments the Steelers could have made in the defense in the 2nd half to adjust for this problem?

Shoes
01-18-2018, 08:40 PM
So there were no possible scheme adjustments the Steelers could have made in the defense in the 2nd half to adjust for this problem?

Nope, the players didn't execute and Haley didn't adjust the defense. The untouchables, Tomlin & Butler couldn't do more, so they fired Haley. :chuckle:

teegre
01-18-2018, 09:01 PM
As I posted elsewhere...

Jacksonville’s first drive. Fourth-&-goal. Spence diagnoses the play correctly. He is in the correct hole. He even makes contact with Fournette.

But... Spence simply isn’t very good.

If Shazier is in there, he stops Fournette. Instead, it’s a TD.

SOLUTION:
A talent upgrade is needed at ILB (plus some depth).

Roquan Smith will NOT be there at 28. Tremaine Edmunds is likely gone by 28. Malik Jefferson has unGodly skills, but he will need a year of coaching. Leighton Vander Esch might be a reach at 28 (but, he’ll be gone by the time that we pick in R2).

RASHAAN EVANS:
Interesting. The Steelers seem to actively avoid players from Alabama. Seriously... they rarely even interview them. Evans can play OLB & ILB (just like Watt can); so, it’d make for interesting defensive schemes. And, since we like to drop our LBs into coverage, he’s a good fit (because he’s adept at that).

Shoes
01-18-2018, 09:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMwpYR5TdQ

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Nope, the players didn't execute and Haley didn't adjust the defense. The untouchables, Tomlin & Butler couldn't do more, so they fired Haley. :chuckle: Yep Butler is the problem and don't matter what talent you give him. The defense will still suck under him! That is okay lets plug a small hole in letting Haley go and not fix the gaping hole in the boat that is Butler. Just goes to show what Tomlin is about as well!

Craic
01-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Took a gander at a couple of his highlight films. There are some things there are the positive side that remind me of Watt coming out of last year . . . he seems to have a football intelligence and know where the play's going. He also looks to have a motor that doesn't quit. I'm a little more hesitant on this next one as the tape somewhat lied about Watt (he was faster than his tape showed for some reason), but this kid looks fast. Even in slow motion, he shot through to plug up the hole in a couple of plays. And, I like his coverage skills on a couple of PDs.

01-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Also very hard to get excited about any defense player in the draft. when you know Butler will still be in charged!

Shoes
01-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Took a gander at a couple of his highlight films. There are some things there are the positive side that remind me of Watt coming out of last year . . . he seems to have a football intelligence and know where the play's going. He also looks to have a motor that doesn't quit. I'm a little more hesitant on this next one as the tape somewhat lied about Watt (he was faster than his tape showed for some reason), but this kid looks fast. Even in slow motion, he shot through to plug up the hole in a couple of plays. And, I like his coverage skills on a couple of PDs.

Fast and controlled, he looks good.

RunNGun
01-19-2018, 07:00 AM
I don't pay attention to college football until the draft comes around. It took me 20 seconds of Evans highlights to realize he would be a complete steal at 28. He won't last past pick 15 IMO.

SteelerFanInStl
01-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Nobody could reasonably foresee Ryan Shazier's career was probably going to end this year, but with his injury history it was foreseeable he could miss significant time. Someone other than Spence and Butler gets the blame for the Steelers having no Plan B if Shazier missed significant time beyond signing someone sitting at home in December who the Colts released.

I didn't know that Darron Lee was playing that bad. I thought that he was going to be a good player. He has the speed and athleticism. I really haven't watched him much with the Jets.

Hawkman
01-19-2018, 09:02 AM
As I posted elsewhere...

Jacksonville’s first drive. Fourth-&-goal. Spence diagnoses the play correctly. He is in the correct hole. He even makes contact with Fournette.

But... Spence simply isn’t very good.

If Shazier is in there, he stops Fournette. Instead, it’s a TD.

SOLUTION:
A talent upgrade is needed at ILB (plus some depth).

Roquan Smith will NOT be there at 28. Tremaine Edmunds is likely gone by 28. Malik Jefferson has unGodly skills, but he will need a year of coaching. Leighton Vander Esch might be a reach at 28 (but, he’ll be gone by the time that we pick in R2).

RASHAAN EVANS:
Interesting. The Steelers seem to actively avoid players from Alabama. Seriously... they rarely even interview them. Evans can play OLB & ILB (just like Watt can); so, it’d make for interesting defensive schemes. And, since we like to drop our LBs into coverage, he’s a good fit (because he’s adept at that).

Yep, watched the game with two very good friends, one a Ravens and the other a Redskins fan, (I’m sorry) both said we were missing Shazier.

EzraTank
01-19-2018, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heMwpYR5TdQ

Okay, I like it. Imagine having him, Watt and a healthy Shazier?

Fire Goodell
01-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Okay, I like it. Imagine having him, Watt and a healthy Shazier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

86WARD
01-19-2018, 10:46 AM
They won’t take an ILB in the first round.

AtlantaDan
01-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Free agent signing or same mindset as last year when they passed on DB until Sutton because JuJu was best available player?

ILB certainly looks like a need since the prognosis for Ryan Shazier returning is grim and I do not believe they see Matakevich as a long term starter rather than backup + ST asset

86WARD
01-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Imagine if they had Hightower...

BlackAndGold
01-19-2018, 11:40 AM
I can see them having a bit of interest in Jerome Baker from OSU. He played amazing late in the college season.

Projected to be a 2nd rounder.

Career numbers at OSU: 159 total tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 INT's. (He's a junior FYI)
- - - Updated - - -

Imagine if they had Hightower...

Not that good, also hurt.

SteelMember
01-19-2018, 11:52 AM

This guy is listed primarily as OLB... same as Shazier was by most draft sites back in '14. You never know what BPA is gonna be there, but you gotta figure LB, no matter what he's listed, will get consideration because of the glaring need.

And don't forget Tomlin's 1st draft... #1 Lawrence Timmons, ILB... listed as OLB. Just sayin' :noidea:

hawaiiansteeler
01-19-2018, 02:40 PM
Yep Butler is the problem and don't matter what talent you give him. The defense will still suck under him! That is okay lets plug a small hole in letting Haley go and not fix the gaping hole in the boat that is Butler. Just goes to show what Tomlin is about as well!

by Ed Bouchette

"There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/19/leveon-bell-contract-negotation-holdout-Mike-Tomlin-Kevin-Colbert-Art-Rooney-Ryan-Shazier/stories/201801180124

BlackAndGold
01-19-2018, 02:51 PM
The defense made a lot of improvements this year. Still think someone like Porter should be let go.

The front 7(including All-Pro Cam Heyward) just got punked against the Jags. Also, not having Shazier caught up to them.

Steeldude
01-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Is he any good or did he benefit more from having good defenders all around him?

Craic
01-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Is he any good or did he benefit more from having good defenders all around him?
A quick look at his video showed his speed and ability to tackle well as well as having a nose for the ball/football intelligence. Of course, those could have been the only plays he ever showed that and thus, the reason they were put in the two videos I saw.

teegre
01-19-2018, 08:36 PM

That is a good question... and, one that has been asked for years about highly-loaded teams (‘Bama, Florida, Ohio St.).

Some ‘Bama players are the very reason that the Crinson Tide is good, and other players simply “look” good because they are surrounded by those aforementioned great players.

Figuring out which is which is the difficult part.

j-d-s
01-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Yep Butler is the problem and don't matter what talent you give him. The defense will still suck under him! That is okay lets plug a small hole in letting Haley go and not fix the gaping hole in the boat that is Butler. Just goes to show what Tomlin is about as well!
This. I don't care if we have not enough talent on Defense, under no circumstances any NFL defense should allow 38 points to a Blake Bortles-led offense at home.

Mojouw
01-19-2018, 11:51 PM
That is a good question... and, one that has been asked for years about highly-loaded teams (‘Bama, Florida, Ohio St.).

Some ‘Bama players are the very reason that the Crinson Tide is good, and other players simply “look” good because they are surrounded by those aforementioned great players.

Figuring out which is which is the difficult part.

As much as it gets trashed, this is where I think combine style measurables have a role. Tape doesn’t lie but it can warp the truth.

Remember, Jarvis Jones made a TON of plays for his college defense, but the measurables raised significant questions about his ability to do it at the NFL level.

On the other side of the coin, Dupree and Alonzo Jackson had/have all the measurables you could ever want but both struggled to translate that to NFL production.

I guess the “sweet spot” is TJ Watt or Shazier - a little from column a and a little from column b.

I honestly feel like the Steelers “know” how to project OL, DL, WR, RB, and maybe FB. They seem to struggle with what they want to look for at LB and DB. I mean I think that it is clear what attributes they are looking for in a draft prospect at those positions, but transitioning those guys to being productive NFL players has been more than a bit rocky for them in the past 5 years.

I worry that WR is going to slip out of the “trust us no matter what column” and into the “just as shaky as everyone else column”. It has been such an amazing advantage in the draft for many years now. They have not needed to take a guy that early to be almost assured of “average” at worst production.

Born2Steel
01-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Also very hard to get excited about any defense player in the draft. when you know Butler will still be in charged!

I believe there are already threads for trashing coaches. This thread is about a different subject. Please stop trying to hijack every thread just because you are pissed off at Butler.

Back to this thread now...
I'll take 2 of this. Evans looks fast, physical, smart, and has a way of just being around the football. Let's say we do draft this guy in the first, play him beside VW. We would still need to take a 2nd LB somewhere in this draft. We need upgrade/quality at OLB and ILB beyond this. I'm not counting anything toward a Shazier return until he's walking first.

Rotorhead
01-21-2018, 05:32 PM
We could pick up a FA ILB and then dirty red would back up VW and the FA would back up the draftee. Still need to replace Mitchell with a good FA, I am hoping Davis struggles had more to do with covering up for Mitchell than anything else.

teegre
01-21-2018, 06:13 PM
The more that see & read about Evans, the more I’m convinced he should be long gone by 28.

Rotorhead
01-21-2018, 06:22 PM
The fortunate thing is there are a lot of QBs and a lot of QB needy teams to push otherwise top 10 players down. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 6-7 QBs taken in the top ten this year.

teegre
01-21-2018, 06:30 PM
The fortunate thing is there are a lot of QBs and a lot of QB needy teams to push otherwise top 10 players down. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 6-7 QBs taken in the top ten this year.

Born2Steel & I were discussing this very thing...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/28417-Early-round-draft-prospects-for-considerstion?p=633326#post633326

RunNGun
01-23-2018, 07:28 PM
The more that see & read about Evans, the more I’m convinced he should be long gone by 28.

Exactly my thinking. A guy that can and run and hit like that at that size...There's no way he's there at 28. Maybe this is the year the Steelers trade up to get their guy. That's the only way I see Evans falling into our laps.

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2018, 12:40 AM
Exactly my thinking. A guy that can and run and hit like that at that size...There's no way he's there at 28. Maybe this is the year the Steelers trade up to get their guy. That's the only way I see Evans falling into our laps.

there's no way David DeCastro ever falls and is available for the Steelers to draft at # 24.

oh wait...

pczach
01-24-2018, 05:04 AM
there's no way David DeCastro ever falls and is available for the Steelers to draft at # 24.

oh wait...

Exactly! You never know who's going to fall to you.

teegre
01-24-2018, 05:32 AM

oh wait...

Nor Jarvis Jones.

Oh... right.

pczach
01-24-2018, 05:50 AM
Nor Jarvis Jones.

Oh... right.

I was so hoping someone would take him before the team was tempted to make that mistake........

teegre
01-24-2018, 05:53 AM
I was so hoping someone would take him before the team was tempted to make that mistake........

He’s no Matt Elam... :wink02:

pczach
01-24-2018, 05:55 AM
He’s no Matt Elam... :wink02:

Who is????:rofl2:

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2018, 11:24 AM
My #1 favorite part of offseason draft chatter is people bringing up 20 prospects that could never fall to us.

like dude. were picking 28th not 50th. it could happen, chill

Mojouw
01-24-2018, 11:30 AM
My #1 favorite part of offseason draft chatter is people bringing up 20 prospects that could never fall to us.

Plus guys will get "reranked" about a dozen times between now and the draft.

DesertSteel
01-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Nor Jarvis Jones.

Oh... right.
Where's Canada? Lol

teegre
01-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Playing the semantics game... 20 players WILL indeed go before the 28th pick.

(27 to be exact.)

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2018, 02:16 PM
all it takes is a small scare and crazy things happen in the draft. Myles Jack was supposed to be a guaranteed top 5 pick, arguably the conversation for #1 overall and he falls to the 2nd round. David Decastro, easy top 10 pick, falls to #24.

Hell, sometimes, nothing needs to happen at all and people fall for no reason. Sharrif Floyd was going top 5 in every mock draft and he fell to #23 or #24 and nothing was wrong with him.

Prospects rising means other prospects are falling (that includes prospects whose stock is even)

teegre
01-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Where's Canada? Lol

He’s writing over at TPOP (he got me in there). I text him every so often, mostly during games.

(NOTE: I text Buddha, Jon, & HAM daily... those dudes haven’t changed. LOL)

Mojouw
01-24-2018, 02:47 PM
all it takes is a small scare and crazy things happen in the draft. Myles Jack was supposed to be a guaranteed top 5 pick, arguably the conversation for #1 overall and he falls to the 2nd round. David Decastro, easy top 10 pick, falls to #24.

Hell, sometimes, nothing needs to happen at all and people fall for no reason. Sharrif Floyd was going top 5 in every mock draft and he fell to #23 or #24 and nothing was wrong with him.

Prospects rising means other prospects are falling (that includes prospects whose stock is even)

I agree. Much of the Steelers first round success has been to take guys that "fall" for whatever reason.

Heath Miller was not projected to fall as far as he did. Injury (I think) scared teams away.
Dupree (I know. I know.) was talked about going in the top 7-12 picks. He dropped.
DeCastro.
Mendenhall and Holmes were projected higher by more than one "expert".

Happens almost every time the team picks outside the top half of the first round. Their pick ends up being a guy who "fell" on day one.

pczach
01-24-2018, 04:08 PM
He’s writing over at TPOP (he got me in there). I text him every so often, mostly during games.

Where are those guys?

I miss them bad. Some of the best dudes ever!

BlackAndGold
01-24-2018, 04:49 PM

Missed getting "thumbs up" from HAM with every post I did at SF lol.

Glad to know they're okay. Haven't seen them post here or on another forum in a while.

teegre
01-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Where are those guys?

I miss them bad. Some of the best dudes ever!

Buddha quit visiting message boards after he & I were asked to leave another Steelers forum.

HAM quit watching football altogether (one of the few to keep his promise) about two years ago.

Jon... is bathing with a dog somewhere. :lol:

And, yes, great people.

- - - Updated - - -

Missed getting "thumbs up" from HAM with every post I did at SF lol.

Glad to know they're okay. Haven't seen them post here or on another forum in a while.

(see above)

teegre
01-24-2018, 08:58 PM

I get that.

I’m just not going to get my hopes up that somehow Minkah Fitzpatrick will be there at 28. Instead, I’m going to focus my attention on Justin Reid, Ronnie Harrison, and the other safeties with a much higher chance of actually being there at 28. (Make sense?)

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2018, 11:20 PM
I get that.

I’m just not going to get my hopes up that somehow Minkah Fitzpatrick will be there at 28. Instead, I’m going to focus my attention on Justin Reid, Ronnie Harrison, and the other safeties with a much higher chance of actually being there at 28. (Make sense?)

dude, you're giving away my mock draft:

1) Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama
2) Josh Rosen QB UCLA
3) Rashaan Evans S Alabama

hawaiiansteeler
01-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

By Daniel Jeremiah
NFL Media analyst
Jan. 26, 2018

RANK 27

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Evans is a versatile, playmaking linebacker. He moved all over the field in the Alabama defense. He aligned off the ball in the middle of the defense, stood up outside and even occasionally put his hand in the ground as a defensive end in pass-rush situations. Against the run, he's a tick late to key/read, but once he makes up his mind, he closes in a hurry. He runs right through blockers and if he doesn't make the tackle, he creates a pileup to slow down the ball carrier. He has outstanding speed to range sideline to sideline. He will miss an occasional tackle in space because he rarely breaks down, instead looking for the big hit. In coverage, he can easily mirror tight ends and backs. He will even match up in the slot at times. He isn't a polished pass rusher, but he can win with pure speed and effort. Overall, Evans is a tone-setter on defense and his versatility is a huge asset.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000909727/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft

hawaiiansteeler
02-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Three-round mock draft: Browns among 7 teams that pick QB

By Chad Reuter
Draft analyst
Published: Feb. 6, 2018 Updated: Feb. 13, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000914707/article/threeround-mock-draft-browns-among-7-teams-that-pick-qb

Born2Steel
02-13-2018, 09:16 PM
I would take Evans if there at 28. I hate locking in on one player this early and before the combine. So far, I see several LBs that I would like to see us draft somewhere in the 1st 3 rounds.

AtlantaDan
02-14-2018, 01:23 PM
P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo has his full mock draft up for the Steelers

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama
2. ILB Josey Jewell of Iowa

Yes, two inside linebackers with the first two picks. That’s how depleted this position is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/14/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-mock-draft-Rashaan-Evans-Ronnie-Harrison-Quin-Blanding-DeShon-Elliott-Josey-Jewell-Daesean-Hamilton/stories/201802140045

Born2Steel
02-14-2018, 04:42 PM
P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo has his full mock draft up for the Steelers

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama
2. ILB Josey Jewell of Iowa

Yes, two inside linebackers with the first two picks. That’s how depleted this position is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/02/14/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-mock-draft-Rashaan-Evans-Ronnie-Harrison-Quin-Blanding-DeShon-Elliott-Josey-Jewell-Daesean-Hamilton/stories/201802140045

If those 2 were available at those picks, I would certainly consider it. Everything depends on who's there at the pick like always. I agree 100%, the ILB position is that thin right now. Who on this roster is a sideline to sideline ILB? We have VW, Fort, and Matakevich who are darn good tackle to tackle ILBs. So unless we plan on running some sort of 3-3-5 defense, we must grab at least 1 ILB that has traits similar to Shazier. Take a look at some game tape on Jerome Baker and let me know what you think. Try to look past the OSU connection.

Mojouw
02-14-2018, 04:54 PM
I think that the Steelers could justify double dipping in the draft at the position, but suspect it will be early + later rather than back to back.

Honestly, I'm not certain that any inside linebacker other than VW belongs on an NFL roster at this point. Matakevich is a great special teams player and really good at making tackles 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Fort and Spence just look over-matched. Although to be entirely fair, I have no idea why they didn't give Fort a bit more playing time...couldn't have been worse!

Born2Steel
02-14-2018, 06:42 PM
I think that the Steelers could justify double dipping in the draft at the position, but suspect it will be early + later rather than back to back.

Honestly, I'm not certain that any inside linebacker other than VW belongs on an NFL roster at this point. Matakevich is a great special teams player and really good at making tackles 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Fort and Spence just look over-matched. Although to be entirely fair, I have no idea why they didn't give Fort a bit more playing time...couldn't have been worse!

Agreed. However in Matakevich's defense, he doesn't miss many tackles. Better 3-4 yard gains than a whiff and a 20 yard gain. Is that good enough? Not really, but you can't teach speed and Red simply doesn't have that. The fact that we had to bring in Spence is too telling. If the guys you have on roster are worse than a player at home, just doesn't make sense.

teegre
02-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Take a look at some game tape on Jerome Baker and let me know what you think. Try to look past the OSU connection.

PRO:
Baker has the speed to run sideline-to-sideline.

CON:
He gets caught up in clusters/by blockers a heck of a lot.

teegre
02-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Agreed. However in Matakevich's defense, he doesn't miss many tackles. Better 3-4 yard gains than a whiff and a 20 yard gain. Is that good enough? Not really, but you can't teach speed and Red simply doesn't have that. The fact that we had to bring in Spence is too telling. If the guys you have on roster are worse than a player at home, just doesn't make sense.

What sucks for Matakevich is that when he finally got the chance to start, his shoulder got torn up.

Because, yes, Matakevich is a “catcher’s mitt” (I’m adopting that term), but that would have been an upgrade over Spence.

Shazier: tackle at LOS
Big Red: tackle 3 yards downfield
Spence: misses tackle completely

Shoes
02-14-2018, 08:34 PM
I could be wrong but it seems to me that tackling hasn't been Shazier's natural part of playing the game. I believe he led the team in missed tackles since his rookie year.

teegre
02-14-2018, 08:37 PM
I could be wrong but it seems to me that tackling hasn't been Shazier's natural part of playing the game. I believe he led the team in missed tackles since his rookie year.

:nod:

Shazier was great at getting into the backfield, but he sure did miss a lot of tackles. Of course, missed tackles or not, he also created havoc and/or disrupted the timing between QB-&-WRs (which is a good thing).

Mojouw
02-15-2018, 11:39 AM

I have nothing to base this on other than a "sense" - so I am likely wrong. BUT...I feel that Shazier was like Polamalu on the missed tackles front. Both guys missed a surprising amount of tackles. However, both guys played at a million miles an hour with their hair on fire, got to spots on the field that no other player could and put themselves in position to "miss" a tackle that no one else could even get to. Additionally, because of how fast both guys played, they were never going to be good at "breaking down" and form tackling a guy. Hard to do that at a dead sprint.

All that being said, Shazier also missed some "easy" tackles. Long story short, I was willing to overlook the missed tackles because of the number of plays per game he impacted that few other players in the league could.

hawaiiansteeler
02-16-2018, 07:44 PM
2018 NFL Mock Draft: Browns take Wyoming QB Josh Allen with top pick

Browns add Saquon Barkley with their second first-round pick

by Pete Prisco
CBS Sports Senior Writer Feb 15, 2018

28. Pittsburgh Steelers
Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia. When Ryan Shazier went down for the year, their defense suffered. With his future in doubt, they need to get a playmaking linebacker and Smith is that guy.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars
Connor Williams, OT, Texas. They have to get better up front and Williams would give them tackle flexibility with second-year player Cam Robinson if they keep Jeremy Parnell at right tackle. Robinson has ability, but he struggled at times last season and could be moved to guard if they were to land a tackle or to the right side.

30. Minnesota Vikings
Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. They need to get better at right tackle and McGlinchey would do that. He played the left side at Notre Dame, but could easily move to the right side.

31. New England Patriots
Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford. Their front seven needs upgrading in the worst way. Phillips is a smart player as an Academic All-American, and we know how Bill Belichick loves that about players. Might go a lot higher than this when all said and done.

32. Philadelphia Eagles
Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama. He is a tough, nasty player who knows how to get to the football. The Eagles could be losing Nigel Bradham to free agency and Jordan Hicks is coming off a major injury.

to see full article and all selections:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-browns-take-wyoming-qb-josh-allen-with-top-pick/

02-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Serious who cares what Mel says!! Has he ever predicted any Steeler draft pick that they actually picked ? None comes to mind to me ?. Say it every year and he is garbage but a big mouth that ESPN digs and Maylock is way better judging talent.

Born2Steel
02-16-2018, 11:48 PM
The more i look at this ILB class, the more I really like Rashaan Evans. He's fast enough to play sideline to sideline, can play as a cover ILB, has pass rushing tools from his games playing on the outside. He's a sound, solid, smart, physical tackler. Just an all around good football player. I like the comparison to Timmons, I think it fits. I think this guy fits who we need.

Six Rings
02-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Kiper has the Steelers taking a linebacker in the first round for the fifth time in the past six years.

Bryan DeArdo

"The big looming question for the Steelers is Ryan Shazier's future, and no one knows if he'll play again," Kiper wrote. "Even if he returns, though, the Steelers need depth at linebacker. Evans is versatile enough to play inside or outside, and he had 15 career sacks at Alabama, where he often played on the edge and blitzed. He is a perfect fit in the middle of a modern-day defense -- he can play every down."

Despite finishing in the top-5 in several NFL rankings, Pittsburgh's defense struggled without Shazier, allowing an average of 132 rushing yards per game after losing their Pro Bowl linebacker 13 weeks into the 2017 season.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Kiper-has-Steelers-drafting-ILB-Rashaan-Evans-in-1st-Mock-Draft-113884271

I like the pick. Evans a bit like a prime Timmons.

hawaiiansteeler
02-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft position rankings

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Feb. 15, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

SteelMember
02-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft position rankings

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: Feb. 15, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916367/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-position-rankings

As it pertains to this thread, the LB rankings seem to be consistent with most others I've seen.

The bigger surprise was how high he has TE Hurst, Dissly and S Jesse Bates. Although, Mayock seems to always covet one secondary guy more than most... usually a CB

hawaiiansteeler
02-19-2018, 03:25 PM
As it pertains to this thread, the LB rankings seem to be consistent with most others I've seen.

Linebacker

1. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
2. Roquan Smith, Georgia
3. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
4. Rashaan Evans, Alabama
5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

I hadn't seen Vander Esch ranked ahead of Evans before...

SteelMember
02-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Linebacker

1. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
2. Roquan Smith, Georgia
3. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
4. Rashaan Evans, Alabama
5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

I hadn't seen Vander Esch ranked ahead of Evans before...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=OLB&draftyear=2018&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

To be fair, Mayock is mixing the ILB-OLB categories and adding the "Edge" rusher. Most places typically use the previous... even if that's not necessarily where they end up playing in the NFL.

hawaiiansteeler
02-26-2018, 12:50 PM
2018 NFL Mock Draft

by Chris Trapasso
CBSSports.com

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama. Evans is a big-hitting Alabama linebacker with impressive movement skills. He's precisely what the Steelers defense needs.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-to-giants-usc-rb-ronald-jones-lands-with-eagles/

Mojouw
02-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Nothing is going to change in these mock drafts unless one of the prominent ILB prospects gets hit by a bus or murders someone. Connecting the Steelers to a draft prospect hasn't been this cut and dry since maybe Pouncey?

Additionally, these mock drafters have almost no inside knowledge of what teams are actually planning on doing and they have a success rate of somewhere just north of zero.

What's my point? Read and evaluate for yourselves, but assume the draft goes dramatically different than any of these guys projects - it almost always does.

hawaiiansteeler
02-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Brugler Big Board: Nelson earns No. 1 spot

— By Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com —

–49. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.73, 32)

A downhill, power linebacker for the Tide, Evans loves to mix it up with blockers, using his hands to tear through blockers. There are too many “almost” tackles and cover lapses on his tape, but his physicality fits any scheme.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/2018/02/06/brugler-big-board-nelson-earns-no-1-spot/

teegre
03-01-2018, 06:32 AM
Brugler Big Board: Nelson earns No. 1 spot

— By Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com —

–49. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.73, 32)

A downhill, power linebacker for the Tide, Evans loves to mix it up with blockers, using his hands to tear through blockers. There are too many “almost” tackles and cover lapses on his tape, but his physicality fits any scheme.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/2018/02/06/brugler-big-board-nelson-earns-no-1-spot/

I don’t agree with Rashaan Evans being the 49th best player in this draft.

But, I do agree that Quenton Nelson is indeed the best overall player in this draft (at an unglamorous position).

hawaiiansteeler
03-10-2018, 05:28 PM
looks like Brugler has moved Evans up from #49 overall to #26:

Brugler Big Board 2.0: Maryland’s Moore, Boise State’s Vander Esch rising

March 8, 2018, By Dane Brugler

–26. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (6-2, 232, 4.73)

A downhill, power linebacker for the Tide, Evans loves to mix it up with blockers, using his hands to tear through blockers. There are too many near tackles and cover lapses on his tape, but his physicality fits any scheme.

http://nfldraftscout.com/2018/03/08/brugler-big-board-20-marylands-moore-boise-states-vander-esch-rising/

hawaiiansteeler
04-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Steelers select LB Rashaan Evans in Casserly's new Mock Draft

Evans is one of the top rated linebackers in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Bryan DeArdo - Apr 3, 2018

Rashaan Evans is the Pittsburgh Steelers' first round pick in Super Bowl winning General Manager Charley Casserly's new Mock Draft.

The 6'3, 234-pound Evans enjoyed a stellar senior season at Alabama, recording 74 tackles that included 13 tackles for loss. He also recorded 6.0 sacks while recording a forced and recovered fumble.

"Evans fills the biggest need on the team," Casserly wrote of Evans. "He's a highly instinctive player.

One of the top rated inside linebacker in this year's draft, Evans met with the Steelers during the 2018 NFL Combine. Evans also spoke with The Athletic's Mark Kaboly about playing in Pittsburgh while saying that he would welcome the opportunity to replace Ryan Shazier, who will not play in 2018.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-select-LB-Rashaan-Evans-in-Casserlys-new-Mock-Draft-116980688

86WARD
04-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Yep. Looking more likely every day that the pick is going to be Evans or maybe trade down and get Rudolph...

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2018, 02:06 AM
James C Wexell
@jimwexell

Steelers did in fact hope to trade up to draft Rashaan Evans.

26 Apr 2018

https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/989707123645927424

EzraTank
04-29-2018, 08:52 AM
I really wanted this guy. :rant:

pczach
04-29-2018, 09:25 AM
I really wanted this guy. :rant:

If they were going to pick an ILB not named Smith or Edmunds.....this is the guy I would have wanted.

He's just a terrific football player. Love how instinctive he is on the field, his leadership, and his tackling ability. He can cover and do everything you can ask of him at the position.

I wasn't worried about him not testing at the combine. Watch his tape. The kid knows how to play the position, and would instantaneously and instinctively go to the right spot or shoot a gap.