View Full Version : Randy Fichtner expected to be promoted to OC

BlackAndGold
01-17-2018, 01:21 PM

st33lersguy
01-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Didn't take long, did it

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2018, 01:22 PM
That's what I expected to happen. I think that Ben will be happy with that. I just hope that it wasn't a position that Munchak wanted.

Shoes
01-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Grandma Fitch, he's probably knitting Ben a pair of mittens at this moment. :chuckle: All kidding aside hope it works out great!

BlackAndGold
01-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Now get Bryon Leftwich as the QB coach.

Steeldude
01-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Butler, Lake and Porter next.

- - - Updated - - -

Can he even coach?

stillers4me
01-17-2018, 02:02 PM
I dont think its been announced ...just speculation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steeldude
01-17-2018, 02:04 PM
Is Fichtner going to be the same as Arians? 3 plays to choose from?

- - - Updated - - -

I would rather have someone from the outside.

DesertSteel
01-17-2018, 02:04 PM
^^^ This!

hawaiiansteeler
01-17-2018, 02:06 PM

they would still have to put him on IR after he hurts himself coaching in practice...

Craic
01-17-2018, 04:10 PM

That was my one caveat to stating I hoped we didn't drop Haley so we could focus on getting a better DC. Since this search looks like it took all of six hours or so, I'm good with it. Still think Haley was scapegoated a little, but I'm interested to see what this offense can do now.

Mojouw
01-17-2018, 04:31 PM
That was my one caveat to stating I hoped we didn't drop Haley so we could focus on getting a better DC. Since this search looks like it took all of six hours or so, I'm good with it. Still think Haley was scapegoated a little, but I'm interested to see what this offense can do now.

Can you imagine the hew and cry if it is either same or (gasp!) worse? I suspect it won't be...but no one will know until the real games start next September!

smokin3000gt
01-17-2018, 04:34 PM

- - - Updated - - -

at the very least we should interview a few candidates from the outside and give the position to the best man

tube517
01-17-2018, 04:36 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Can he even coach?

Only one year with Pittsburgh West.

stillers4me
01-17-2018, 05:00 PM

Craic
01-17-2018, 05:12 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That'd be the worst of all possible situations. New scheme. New language to learn. New coach to learn. Time wasted looking for an OC when the offense was lighting up the score board with 30 plus points in over half the games in the second half of the season while the time should have been spent on finding a defensive coordinator. And, finally, the last thing you want right now is to give Ben a reason to retire and Munch a reason to leave. No, I don't recall anyone having a problem with Haley's system. What they had a problem with was his situational playcalling.

tube517
01-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Should I start the Fire Fichtner thread?

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2018, 06:18 PM
That'd be the worst of all possible situations. New scheme. New language to learn. New coach to learn. Time wasted looking for an OC when the offense was lighting up the score board with 30 plus points in over half the games in the second half of the season while the time should have been spent on finding a defensive coordinator. And, finally, the last thing you want right now is to give Ben a reason to retire and Munch a reason to leave. No, I don't recall anyone having a problem with Haley's system. What they had a problem with was his situational playcalling.

Agreed. Bringing in an outside person would not be a good thing right now.

Shoes
01-17-2018, 07:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I would have also, but under the conditions I think its the best choice. Ben has two or three years left if he stays healthy and a lot of the pieces are in place so changing the system would throw a wrench in the works imo. I think Ben will have a good bit of freedom in the play calling which I'm ok with.

Steeldude
01-17-2018, 07:08 PM

So limiting your choices is best?

Shoes
01-17-2018, 07:13 PM

I think Haley earned the boot but I also agree about him being tag as a scapegoat. Tomlin and Butler know that....and so does everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, he'll teach them the fundamentals of a quick release.

FrancoLambert
01-17-2018, 08:02 PM
[/B]
I would have also, but under the conditions I think its the best choice. Ben has two or three years left if he stays healthy and a lot of the pieces are in place so changing the system would throw a wrench in the works imo. I think Ben will have a good bit of freedom in the play calling which I'm ok with.

We're wondering about Fichtner's system......right.

It's going to be Ben's system with some input from the OC.

Shoes
01-17-2018, 08:05 PM
We're wondering about Fichtner's system......right.

It's going to be Ben's system with some input from the OC.

That's about it.

hawaiiansteeler
01-17-2018, 10:54 PM
next season, Randy Fichtner will be the most popular guy in Pittsburgh for ___ games:

A) 4
B) 8
C) 12
D) 19

Count Steeler
01-18-2018, 05:48 AM
next season, Randy Fichtner will be the most popular guy in Pittsburgh for ___ games:

A) 4
B) 8
C) 12
D) 19

0. The Fire Fichtner thread should start round about the 2nd quarter of the preseason.

pczach
01-18-2018, 05:50 AM

A) 4
B) 8
C) 12
D) 19

........until the first bad offensive game. After that, all credibility will be questioned. His knowledge of the game will be questioned. His play calling will be criticized. His 100 yard Grandma-stare will be mocked....

Bank it!:chuckle:

Edman
01-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Butler, Lake and Porter next

45 points at home to Blake Bortles should be grounds for instant firing. I'm surprised they're still employed.

AtlantaDan
01-18-2018, 08:36 AM
........until the first bad offensive game. After that, all credibility will be questioned. His knowledge of the game will be questioned. His play calling will be criticized. His 100 yard Grandma-stare will be mocked....

Bank it!:chuckle:

And Ben will go on his Tuesday morning radio appearance to say he has a good relationship with Randy, even though they argue like any QB and OC do, but that Ben just runs the plays that are called :chuckle:

Moose
01-18-2018, 09:07 AM

I HOPE ! I think Haley was the scapegoat here, for right now. Butler, Lake and Porter should've been the FIRST TO GO !!! The problem with this team IS the DEFENSE ! I do agree Haley's time maybe has reached the end, but I think he did help Ben be a better QB, but some of the offense play calling left alot to be desired. But in the Jags game our offense scored 42 points, which we should have won, but lost. I do agree that there were many games where our team came out and seemed UNPREPARED and UNMOTIVATED on offense which I blame the coaches.....Tomlin included, but the tackling, pass rushing, and secondary was pathetic and that's defensive problems. There still better be more heads rolling on defense or this team will have the defense problems next year......in my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2018, 10:05 AM
0. The Fire Fichtner thread should start round about the 2nd quarter of the preseason.

:rofl:

I was going to say until the 2nd preseason game. He is gonna get the "underdog love" from Steeler fans, just like Shamarko Thomas, Josh Dobbs, Demarcus Ayers got, so the majority will be giving him some slack. But, you may be right.....first time the Steelers don't put up 30 points in a preseason, or they lose to Carolina in a preseason game the thread should start.

tube517
01-18-2018, 10:09 AM
:rofl:

I was going to say until the 2nd preseason game. He is gonna get the "underdog love" from Steeler fans, just like Shamarko Thomas, Josh Dobbs, Demarcus Ayers got, so the majority will be giving him some slack. But, you may be right.....first time the Steelers don't put up 30 points in a preseason, or they lose to Carolina in a preseason game the thread should start.

If no QB sneak (in Preseason) on the first 4th and 1, Steeler Nation will riot. :chuckle:

86WARD
01-18-2018, 12:10 PM

If you’re going there, Batch would be a better option.

Fire Goodell
01-18-2018, 12:27 PM

I know off-topic here, but I think Batch would have been a star in the league if he wasn't so injury prone. Only thing holding him back from a starting job elsewhere was he couldn't last an entire season

DesertSteel
01-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Based on what?

tube517
01-18-2018, 02:31 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Fichtner-named-offensive-coordinatorQB-coach/6418e3a6-05ea-437f-b8cb-4352e7b8739d

Fichtner named offensive coordinator/QB coach

No need for a QB coach. Grandma can do both jobs!

hawaiiansteeler
01-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Should I start the Fire Fichtner thread?

"He's going to inherit a stacked offense. There's Roethlisberger, who already has put retirement rumors to rest. There's Le'Veon Bell (assuming he doesn't retire), who might be the most complete back in football. There's Antonio Brown, who might wind up being a top-five all-time receiver. And then there's JuJu Smith-Schuster, who looks like a worthy receiver to play opposite of Brown. The Steelers have been a top-10 scoring offense in each of the past four seasons.

That also means, of course, that expectations will be high. The Steelers recently fired their offensive coordinator after a season in which their offense ranked eighth in points scored, third in yards, and third in DVOA. Haley lost his job even though his offense scored 42 points against a great Jaguars defense.

The point being, if Fichtner struggles even remotely, it won't take long for fans to call for his head."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-to-hire-randy-fichtner-as-oc-after-ben-roethlisberger-lobbies-for-him/

86WARD
01-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Based on what?

Based on his time as a player/“coach” during 2010-12. He had very little skills at that stage of his career and he was a very good football head to have on the sidelines with Ben at that time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2018, 05:38 PM
I know off-topic here, but I think Batch would have been a star in the league if he wasn't so injury prone. Only thing holding him back from a starting job elsewhere was he couldn't last an entire season

Did you watch him play in Detroit? He was an INT machine.

Never starter material, always destined to hold a clipboard.

GBMelBlount
01-18-2018, 06:39 PM
they would still have to put him on IR after he hurts himself coaching in practice...

QB Coach Byron Leftwich, sprained mouth, is questionable for Sunday.

hawaiiansteeler
01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
QB Coach Byron Leftwich, sprained mouth, is questionable for Sunday.

:rofl2:

Shoes
01-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Did you watch him play in Detroit? He was an INT machine.

Never starter material, always destined to hold a clipboard.

:lol:

Mojouw
01-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Chaz's stats as a starter are...Bortles esquee.

I mean I like Charlie and all but he wasn't very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-19-2018, 12:27 PM
I mean I like Charlie and all but he wasn't very good.

:applaudit: well said.

43Hitman
01-20-2018, 12:41 PM
I, like most of you here, am not surprised by this move. Heck a bunch of us were calling this move about 7 weeks ago. The writing was on the wall for Mr. Haley and his little skirmish on New Year's Eve sealed the deal in my opinion. Just goes to show that no matter how good you are at your job if you can't get along with your co-workers, it's just a matter of time before your ass hits the pavement.

BnG_Hevn
01-21-2018, 08:30 AM

With comments like "I call the plays sent in" by Ben and running that outside run on 4th and inches just outside the 20, I'd say Ben was trying to prove a point about Haley and his play calling.

- - - Updated - - -

By not changing an idiot play to something that might work.

Craic
01-21-2018, 10:43 AM
With comments like "I call the plays sent in" by Ben and running that outside run on 4th and inches just outside the 20, I'd say Ben was trying to prove a point about Haley and his play calling.

- - - Updated - - -

By not changing an idiot play to something that might work.

I don't think Ben would be as petty as that. It isn't a given that you make it to the playoffs in any given year, let alone the SB. And then, you still have to win it. Ben doesn't have many years left. Pretty much the only QB records he doesn't own for the Steelers concern Superbowls. I doubt he'd throw away a drive just to prove a point. Preseason? Absolutely. First few games of a season? Maybe, but probably not. Playoffs? Absolutely not.

tube517
01-24-2018, 11:26 AM

QB Sneak added in? :chuckle:

teegre
01-24-2018, 02:21 PM

QB Sneak added in? :chuckle:

:applaudit:

FITCHNER: First of all, gents, we are scrapping all of the bubble screens.

BRYANT: Yeah, but that is like 90% of the plays that came my way...

AtlantaDan
01-24-2018, 02:27 PM
:applaudit:

FITCHNER: First of all, gents, we are scrapping all of the bubble screens.

Maybe not :rolleyes:

Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/24/offensive-coordinator-randy-fichtner-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-super-bowl/stories/201801240126

Oh good - back to seven step dropbacks and 50 sacks per year

tube517
01-24-2018, 02:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSqfLKhMWvA

:yay3: :puke:

pczach
01-24-2018, 04:04 PM

Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/24/offensive-coordinator-randy-fichtner-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-super-bowl/stories/201801240126

At least he said they are going back to some things that were successful when Arians was here! :chuckle:

tube517
01-24-2018, 06:16 PM
At least he said they are going back to some things that were successful when Arians was here! :chuckle:

That does not include Rosey Nix then... :wink02: :shush: :chuckle:

Born2Steel
01-24-2018, 06:26 PM
That does not include Rosey Nix then... :wink02: :shush: :chuckle:

Rosey made the ProBowl.

AtlantaDan
01-24-2018, 07:42 PM

And shade throwing, bearded Ben now happy, clean shaven Ben :thumbsup:

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/956303285534838790/HfqY_hej?format=jpg&name=600x314

fansince'76
01-24-2018, 08:51 PM
Please shitcan the stupid reverses that NEVER WORK...

teegre
01-24-2018, 08:52 PM

3rd-&-inches... 5 wide, 7-step drop, all go routes!!!

Shoes
01-24-2018, 08:53 PM
Please shitcan the stupid reverses that NEVER WORK...

That's what Bryant said.

fansince'76
01-24-2018, 08:57 PM

In all fairness, the OL and the coaching of the OL is just a tad bit better now than it was during Arians' tenure. Roethlisberger continued to get clobbered on a regular basis for the first 2 seasons of Haley's tenure as well:

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 1, 2013, 8:29 AM EST

The schemes have changed, but the beatings have remained the same for Ben Roethlisberger.

Actually, they’ve gotten worse.

The Steelers quarterback is getting sacked at a higher rate than when he was playing under coordinator Bruce Arians, who was criticized for not sufficiently protecting the investment.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the 26 sacks Roethlisberger has absorbed so far puts him on pace for 59, well beyond his career-high of 50 — if he makes it that long.

Ben Roethlisberger taking hits at record rates (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/01/ben-roethlisberger-taking-hits-at-record-rates/)

It's no coincidence that the pass protection got quite a bit better after Munchak was hired prior to the 2014 season.

3rd-&-inches... 5 wide, 7-step drop, all go routes!!!

As opposed to all the idiotic empty sets with goal-to-go inside the 5-yard line...

teegre
01-24-2018, 09:01 PM
As opposed to all the idiotic empty sets with goal-to-go inside the 5-yard line...

Pffft... duh. Goal-to-go situations are never a the place for a running back. That’s double-reverse territory ALL the way.

Mojouw
01-24-2018, 09:04 PM
How much does anyone want to bet that somewhere, Crash is over the moon telling everyone how right he was about football.

fansince'76
01-24-2018, 09:18 PM
How much does anyone want to bet that somewhere, Crash is over the moon telling everyone how right he was about football.

He tried registering here again as "TheWitchBurned" right after Haley was shown the door. :lol:

He's also the reason I changed the board settings so admin approval of new members is required before they can post. Otherwise, he'd have 50 posts of the same thing before I could catch and boot him again.

Bluecoat96
01-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Oh good - back to seven step dropbacks and 50 sacks per yearIn Arians' defense, he did always have a God awful O-line in front of Ben.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
01-24-2018, 09:54 PM
In Arians' defense, he did always have a God awful O-line in front of Ben.

Maurkice and the Traffic Cones. Sounds like an old school soul group.

tube517
01-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Rosey made the ProBowl.

Arians would never have a Rosey Nix.

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2018, 11:26 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9c582ec55e72cc95c2fb8f06490679f9c14383ec4ace712369 12e53621460f79.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Will be interesting to see if Fichtner believes that its important. He used one occasionally at Memphis, but that was a long time ago.

AtlantaDan
01-25-2018, 03:27 PM
In Arians' defense, he did always have a God awful O-line in front of Ben.

True

But Andrew Luck in 2012 and BA's QBs in Arizona got clobbered as well - it is the nature of the BA offense that has the QB taking a deeper drop and holding the ball longer due to the pass routes

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2018, 04:45 PM
True

But Andrew Luck in 2012 and BA's QBs in Arizona got clobbered as well - it is the nature of the BA offense that has the QB taking a deeper drop and holding the ball longer due to the pass routes

Exactly. That offensive style exposed every QB that played in it to injury. IMO, if Ben played in that offense the past 5 seasons, he would likely already be retired due to injury or the accumulation of hits.

Fichtner's past indicates he likes to play up tempo, use lots of WR's, run the football from single back formations and with occasional FB lead block. Something tells me that the skills of #10 might not be as valuable in his offense and I expect to see another WR drafted, maybe in the 3rd-5th round.

Lady Steel
01-25-2018, 05:33 PM
He tried registering here again as "TheWitchBurned" right after Haley was shown the door. :lol:

He's also the reason I changed the board settings so admin approval of new members is required before they can post. Otherwise, he'd have 50 posts of the same thing before I could catch and boot him again.

TheWitchBurned. That's actually a pretty good one. :lol:

Mojouw
01-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Exactly. That offensive style exposed every QB that played in it to injury. IMO, if Ben played in that offense the past 5 seasons, he would likely already be retired due to injury or the accumulation of hits.

Fichtner's past indicates he likes to play up tempo, use lots of WR's, run the football from single back formations and with occasional FB lead block. Something tells me that the skills of #10 might not be as valuable in his offense and I expect to see another WR drafted, maybe in the 3rd-5th round.

Do you think that Fichtner doesn't like the Bryant style deep threat from a philosophical point of view, or because he simply never had one before?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2018, 07:40 PM
Do you think that Fichtner doesn't like the Bryant style deep threat from a philosophical point of view, or because he simply never had one before?

The fact that he used lots of WR's at Memphis, Deangelo Williams running was a key part of the offense and the WR's blocked and were also threats on running plays, seems to be less inclined to accommodate a guy that is really just a deep threat, a sub par blocker and not a good option to carry the football laterally on misdirections or WR sweeps. AB, JuJu, Eli Rodgers seem to fit, but if you have a guy that is mostly vertical speed threat and maybe the occasional deep in route...then he might get limited touches.

Either way, I think Bryant will be here in his final year on contract unless they get good value for him in a trade. If you are going to use a few WR's in rotation, he is an experienced guy to have around, but I think he will get equally frustrated when he is #5 on team reception totals behind AB, JuJu, Bell, and either a TE or other drafted WR.

Born2Steel
01-25-2018, 08:05 PM
The fact that he used lots of WR's at Memphis, Deangelo Williams running was a key part of the offense and the WR's blocked and were also threats on running plays, seems to be less inclined to accommodate a guy that is really just a deep threat, a sub par blocker and not a good option to carry the football laterally on misdirections or WR sweeps. AB, JuJu, Eli Rodgers seem to fit, but if you have a guy that is mostly vertical speed threat and maybe the occasional deep in route...then he might get limited touches.

Either way, I think Bryant will be here in his final year on contract unless they get good value for him in a trade. If you are going to use a few WR's in rotation, he is an experienced guy to have around, but I think he will get equally frustrated when he is #5 on team reception totals behind AB, JuJu, Bell, and either a TE or other drafted WR.

Just to clear up any questions about Fichtner's offense at Memphis......

I was there for each and every home game DWill played at Memphis. Danny Wimprine was a dual threat QB, Mo Avery was the main WR option, John Doucette was the TE, and DWill do ALL the rest. Joseph Doss came in DWill's junior year and starting getting some relief duty at RB. The WR corps were tall and fast. Although it was a very fun offense to watch, it was not a very good Tigers team any of those seasons. The good news for Steelers fans is the Tigers made their first bowl games in decades with this team due completely to superior coaching and scheming with the few outstanding players they did have.

pczach
01-25-2018, 08:27 PM

I was there for each and every home game DWill played at Memphis. Danny Wimprine was a dual threat QB, Mo Avery was the main WR option, John Doucette was the TE, and DWill do ALL the rest. Joseph Doss came in DWill's junior year and starting getting some relief duty at RB. The WR corps were tall and fast. Although it was a very fun offense to watch, it was not a very good Tigers team any of those seasons. The good news for Steelers fans is the Tigers made their first bowl games in decades with this team due completely to superior coaching and scheming with the few outstanding players they did have.

I'd love me some Anthony Miller from this year's Memphis team.

Born2Steel
01-25-2018, 08:33 PM
I'd love me some Anthony Miller from this year's Memphis team.

As would I. Holy smokes that guy can get open in a hurry. He really does remind me of AB a lot. I just don't see us drafting a WR this year.

pczach
01-25-2018, 08:40 PM
As would I. Holy smokes that guy can get open in a hurry. He really does remind me of AB a lot. I just don't see us drafting a WR this year.

Just knowing what you're getting from him means everything. He was a walk on, and worked his ass off to earn a scholarship and has literally done at the college level what AB has done at the NFL level. What he's done from a production standpoint the last two seasons is unreal. His work ethic is the stuff of legend. You don't bet against guys like that because he is going to grind to squeeze the absolute best out of himself. He's self-motivated and doesn't need anyone else to push his buttons or get him to work harder.

How do you not love a kid like that?

Born2Steel
01-25-2018, 08:48 PM
You should see if you can find footage of the back of the endzone catch he made against Ole Miss in 2015. Just a laser beam from Paxton Lynch, in traffic, laid out on the back stripe and somehow held on for the TD. That was the play that made me really notice this guy wearing #3. Just an incredible player.

Since i cannot find that play, here's another one to enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVf_ptNBzyY

"Miller has 92 catches this year and ranks second in the country with 1,407 receiving yards and 17 receiving touchdowns through 12 games. He is already the all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns at Memphis."

Same school that produced Isaac Bruce.

pczach
01-25-2018, 08:54 PM
You should see if you can find footage of the back of the endzone catch he made against Ole Miss in 2015. Just a laser beam from Paxton Lynch, in traffic, laid out on the back stripe and somehow held on for the TD. That was the play that made me really notice this guy wearing #3. Just an incredible player.

I've seen all his amazing plays.

I've probably seen about 5 or 6 games, and I've seen all the highlights and tape I can get my hands on. I really love this kid as a player.

86WARD
01-25-2018, 09:23 PM

Good effort by you!!

smokin3000gt
01-26-2018, 02:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb2Ee_GYMZI

fansince'76
01-26-2018, 02:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb2Ee_GYMZI

More like this guy: :der:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxHBfPQgtE

pczach
01-26-2018, 05:52 AM
More like this guy: :der:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxHBfPQgtE

"I'm gonna to get in and stir shit up again! I'm gonna get in and show everyone how smart I am!............................................... .Oh shit!........they caught me.................F*^k!"

:toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2018, 09:06 AM

Did he run more crossing routes and short to intermediate routes for those tall and fast WR's, or vertical game, WR screens, jet sweeps?

AB and JuJu not exactly tall guys and "fast" in college is somewhat relative to the competition. I'm just wondering if you think Fichtner has a WR profile that works well for his offenses or not?

Born2Steel
01-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Did he run more crossing routes and short to intermediate routes for those tall and fast WR's, or vertical game, WR screens, jet sweeps?

AB and JuJu not exactly tall guys and "fast" in college is somewhat relative to the competition. I'm just wondering if you think Fichtner has a WR profile that works well for his offenses or not?

Honestly, that team was the DeAngelo Williams show. When there absolutely had to be a first down, it was DWill, pass to Mo Avery, or Wimprine draw. He had a couple 6'3"-6'-5" WRs that got downfield quickly. But that wasn't really how that offense ran. More clear off the top and use the underneath areas.