PDA

View Full Version : Report: Some Steelers Limited Partners Want HC Mike Tomlin Fired

Shoes
01-16-2018, 12:59 PM
I don't think Tomlin will be going anywhere in 2018, but feeling a bit of heat is a good thing.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quick exit from this year’s playoffs has quite a few people disappointed and as you would probably expect, that includes members of the team’s ownership group. Just how mad? According to a Tuesday morning report (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/source-some-steelers-limited-partners-want-a-coaching-change/) by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, there’s now a push from some of the team’s limited partners for team president Art Rooney II to fire head coach Mike Tomlin and to hire a new coach.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/report-steelers-limited-partners-want-hc-mike-tomlin-fired/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/source-some-steelers-limited-partners-want-a-coaching-change/

Edman
01-16-2018, 01:11 PM
After the soap opera that was the 2017 season, then this debacle, a little heat on Tomlin is warranted.

He runs a very loose ship. Good at acquiring talent, but not very good at coaching. He once again had his team ill-prepared and not ready to play.

AtlantaDan
01-16-2018, 01:18 PM
I don't think Tomlin will be going anywhere in 2018, but feeling a bit of heat is a good thing.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quick exit from this year’s playoffs has quite a few people disappointed and as you would probably expect, that includes members of the team’s ownership group. Just how mad? According to a Tuesday morning report (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/source-some-steelers-limited-partners-want-a-coaching-change/) by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, there’s now a push from some of the team’s limited partners for team president Art Rooney II to fire head coach Mike Tomlin and to hire a new coach.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/report-steelers-limited-partners-want-hc-mike-tomlin-fired/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/16/source-some-steelers-limited-partners-want-a-coaching-change/

Links to the limited partners bios - mostly finance and industry types who get to say they are "Steelers owners"

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-ownership-transition-moves-forward/14AD9E6C-B9E1-447B-A2B6-31C6A443979B

Obviously John Stallworth is someone with some specialized knowledge on what a well coached team looks like - otherwise these alleged complaints that "Tomlin must go!" appear to be coming from some particularly wealthy fans who have AJRII's ear but no obvious insights based on their backgrounds - might relate to some old guys being frustrated by the players popping off regularly and saying it would not happen in their operations.

This from Ed B. of the P-G in his chat

The report may be for real, the minority owners who want to do that are ludicrous for even thinking Art Rooney would listen to them....

If I'm Art Rooney and they come to me, I slam the door in their face. They sound like booster at a college.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/16/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-1-16-18/stories/201801160072

Maybe limited partner Thomas Tull has time to stir the pot now that he was forced out of Legendary Pictures by his Chinese owners and has relocated his headquarters to Pittsburgh.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/thomas-tull-exit-legendary-entertainment-965108
http://www.post-gazette.com/business-top-stories/2018/01/11/Billionaire-Thomas-Tull-is-the-most-recent-transplant-to-Pittsburgh/stories/201801110122

zulater
01-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Yeah they're going to be ex limited partners if they go to press with this sort of nonsense again. Yeah there's changes that need to be made in the coaching staff. But a team that hasn't fired a head coach since 1968 isn't going to fire one coming off a 13 win season.

Oh yeah but we can do better. Or so said the Chargers and their fans when they canned Marty Shottenheimer after a 14 win season followed by a divisional playoff loss. How did that work out for them again? :coffee:

tube517
01-16-2018, 01:26 PM
He won't get fired but his coordinators and assistants will change next year.

Haley - Likely out

Butler - TBD

Mann - Retiring

Munchak - HC candidate at Arizona

J. Mitchell - ?

Shoes
01-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Yeah they're going to be ex limited partners if they go to press with this sort of nonsense again. Yeah there's changes that need to be made in the coaching staff. But a team that hasn't fired a head coach since 1968 isn't going to fire one coming off a 13 win season.

Oh yeah but we can do better. Or so said the Chargers and their fans when they canned Marty Shottenheimer after a 14 win season followed by a divisional playoff loss. How did that work out for them again? :coffee:

You don't know that, while I agree Tomlin isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Art II is not Dan, not in anyway. In fact if Dan was still alive, I'm sure these partners would have kept silent. Little fire under Tomlin's ass is needed.

SteelMember
01-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Only reason there are limited partners to begin with are because Goodell forced the Rooney's to sell their shares because of BS "conflict of interest" the family had in pony racing or some such idiocy. They just need to stfu about operations or sell their interest to the "next man up"... I'm sure there's a line like everything else Steelers related.

Rotorhead
01-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Only reason there are limited partners to begin with are because Goodell forced the Rooney's to sell their shares because of BS "conflict of interest" the family had in pony racing or some such idiocy. They just need to stfu about operations or sell their interest to the "next man up"... I'm sure there's a line like everything else Steelers related.

But failed to make Kraft do the same with his interests in actual NFL betting . . .

tube517
01-16-2018, 04:08 PM
But failed to make Kraft do the same with his interests in actual NFL betting . . .

And Jerry Jones

AtlantaDan
01-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Maybe limited partner Thomas Tull has time to stir the pot now that he was forced out of Legendary Pictures by his Chinese owners and has relocated his headquarters to Pittsburgh.

Nope - it is not Tull

“Art Rooney and coach Tomlin have my full support,” billionaire Thomas Tull told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I am confident that as an organization we will do whatever is necessary to compete at the highest levels in 2018 and beyond.”

Ed B. of the P-G brings the heat regarding this story

If I’m Art Rooney II, and one or more of these people came to me to suggest such a thing, I’d show them the door. Better yet, here is something those unnamed “limited” partners could do — sell your stock in the Steelers and buy some in the Cleveland Browns, where Jimmy Haslam always seems willing to listen to someone who wants to fire a coach....

Tomlin has his faults, they all do. But his 116 victories are second most in NFL history in a coach’s first 11 seasons. Don Shula beat him by one....

Cowher’s teams lost four of five AFC championships AT HOME before they finally won a Super Bowl in the 2005 season. Noll’s teams missed the playoffs in six of his final seven seasons.

Super Bowls are not guaranteed, not even by the Steelers, not even by the teams with the best talent or greatest quarterbacks. Two of the most talented teams in Steelers history never made it to the Super Bowl in the seasons of 1976 and 1977. They don’t come around that often. The Steelers have won six Super Bowls, more than any other team. That’s 6 out of 51 or roughly one every 8½ seasons.

But, again if true, it’s the audacity that a couple of the Steelers’ 18 listed limited partners think they can have an influence on the coach by ringing up Art Rooney II. Collectively, these guys might own 5 percent of the team — or less. They sound like college boosters.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/16/art-rooney-steelers-minority-owners-mike-tomlin-job-security-nfl-coaching-carousel/stories/201801160110

The full article recounts how Noll & Cowher had their discipline issues as well and is a scathing summation of the sense of entitlement some Steelers fans have that now apparently extends to those holding an ownership stake.

Mojouw
01-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Nope - it is not Tull

“Art Rooney and coach Tomlin have my full support,” billionaire Thomas Tull told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I am confident that as an organization we will do whatever is necessary to compete at the highest levels in 2018 and beyond.”

Ed B. of the P-G brings the heat regarding this story

If I’m Art Rooney II, and one or more of these people came to me to suggest such a thing, I’d show them the door. Better yet, here is something those unnamed “limited” partners could do — sell your stock in the Steelers and buy some in the Cleveland Browns, where Jimmy Haslam always seems willing to listen to someone who wants to fire a coach....

Tomlin has his faults, they all do. But his 116 victories are second most in NFL history in a coach’s first 11 seasons. Don Shula beat him by one....

Cowher’s teams lost four of five AFC championships AT HOME before they finally won a Super Bowl in the 2005 season. Noll’s teams missed the playoffs in six of his final seven seasons.

Super Bowls are not guaranteed, not even by the Steelers, not even by the teams with the best talent or greatest quarterbacks. Two of the most talented teams in Steelers history never made it to the Super Bowl in the seasons of 1976 and 1977. They don’t come around that often. The Steelers have won six Super Bowls, more than any other team. That’s 6 out of 51 or roughly one every 8½ seasons.

But, again if true, it’s the audacity that a couple of the Steelers’ 18 listed limited partners think they can have an influence on the coach by ringing up Art Rooney II. Collectively, these guys might own 5 percent of the team — or less. They sound like college boosters.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/16/art-rooney-steelers-minority-owners-mike-tomlin-job-security-nfl-coaching-carousel/stories/201801160110

The full article recounts how Noll & Cowher had their discipline issues as well and is a scathing summation of the sense of entitlement some Steelers fans have that now apparently extends to those holding an ownership stake.

I'll be damned. Actual reporting and thought in a Bouchette article!

st33lersguy
01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
He needs to know that the crap that went on last year needs to change immediately.

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Where is smokin3000gt with his "Fire Turmlin!" pic? :chuckle:

Oh, and good thing Mario Lemieux doesn't own the team... :rolleyes:

Shoes
01-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Lemieux is a shitboot, he shafted my brother-in-law big time a few years back.

I'd bet a buffalo nickel all these Partners are friends and business associates of Art II. He's not going to tell them to sell their stock any more than he's going to fire Tomlin. Anyone that can walk a straight line knows Tomlin isn't going anywhere. The good in all of this is, it should light his (Tomlin) ass on fire and that's not a bad thing.

steelerdude15
01-16-2018, 08:30 PM

He just happens to co-own a team that's won 3 Stanley Cup titles since the Steelers won their last Super Bowl. Just curious, why would you have any negative feelings towards him?

- - - Updated - - -

Lemieux is a shitboot, he shafted my brother-in-law big time a few years back.

I'd bet a buffalo nickel all these Partners are friends and business associates of Art II. He's not going to tell them to sell their stock any more than he's going to fire Tomlin. Anyone that can walk a straight line knows Tomlin isn't going anywhere. The good in all of this is, it should light his (Tomlin) ass on fire and that's not a bad thing.

Care to explain?

Shoes
01-16-2018, 08:41 PM
He just happens to co-own a team that's won 3 Stanley Cup titles since the Steelers won their last Super Bowl. Just curious, why would you have any negative feelings towards him?

- - - Updated - - -

Care to explain?

Lets just say he didn't pay up for services rendered.

steelerdude15
01-16-2018, 08:42 PM
Lets just say he didn't pay up for services rendered.

I understand.

tube517
01-16-2018, 09:20 PM

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 09:27 PM

I don't have any negative feelings towards Lemieux. My post was more of a jab at someone who only ever shows up here after the team loses (so really, he should probably be pretty happy at the moment since he now has a reason to bitch and moan) and who has also mentioned twice now that Tomlin is lucky Lemieux doesn't own the Steelers because he'd be out of a job if he did.

Because, you know, the Rooneys have historically done such a piss poor job of running the team themselves. :rolleyes:

steelerdude15
01-17-2018, 08:25 AM
I don't have any negative feelings towards Lemieux. My post was more of a jab at someone who only ever shows up here after the team loses (so really, he should probably be pretty happy at the moment since he now has a reason to bitch and moan) and who has also mentioned twice now that Tomlin is lucky Lemieux doesn't own the Steelers because he'd be out of a job if he did.

Because, you know, the Rooneys have historically done such a piss poor job of running the team themselves. :rolleyes:

Ah I see. I totally missed the sarcasm, sorry about that. :chuckle: