PDA

View Full Version : Play Ownership and Hire an OC!

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Put yourself in the owners box! Take feedback from players, coaches, fans, and your other owners! Make the decision to fire Todd "Tequila Cowboy" Haley! Act fast!

In all seriousness, let's say the writing really is on the wall and it is time for Haley to go. What do you do? For me, I like Haley's system and underlying philosophy but I do think that Haley is an abrasive jerk who wears thin after a handful of years. So my short list:

1. Fichtner - because why not?
2. Tom Clements - familiarity with the system and some of the players. However, he did just kinda fizzle out in Green Bay...although that could be on McCarthy.
3. John Morton - somehow he cobbled together a respectable offense with the collection of misfit toys the Jets call a roster.What would he do with actual talent?
4. Stole this one from people smarter than me on the internets -- John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach, Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-eagles)

So call your shot. Gonna go in house? Familiar name? Hotshot guy out of the college ranks?

Fire Goodell
01-15-2018, 06:32 PM
http://picchore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/todd-haley-animated-gif.gif

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 06:36 PM
Put yourself in the owners box! Take feedback from players, coaches, fans, and your other owners! Make the decision to fire Todd "Tequila Cowboy" Haley! Act fast!

In all seriousness, let's say the writing really is on the wall and it is time for Haley to go. What do you do? For me, I like Haley's system and underlying philosophy but I do think that Haley is an abrasive jerk who wears thin after a handful of years. So my short list:

1. Fichtner - because why not?
2. Tom Clements - familiarity with the system and some of the players. However, he did just kinda fizzle out in Green Bay...although that could be on McCarthy.
3. John Morton - somehow he cobbled together a respectable offense with the collection of misfit toys the Jets call a roster.What would he do with actual talent?
4. Stole this one from people smarter than me on the internets -- John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach, Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-eagles)

So call your shot. Gonna go in house? Familiar name? Hotshot guy out of the college ranks?

I make one call and it is not to Tomlin

Ben - who you got?

Randy!

Done

This hire is all about keeping Ben happy

Shoes
01-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Since Ben is hanging around for 2 or 3 more years you almost have to go with grandma Fitch. Ben doesn't want to learn a new offense and most of the pieces are in place.

st33lersguy
01-15-2018, 06:44 PM
If Ben wants Fichtner, may just be easier to give him what he wants. If he does great, then fine, if he ends up being exactly like Arians or Haley fire him when Ben retires and hire someone from the outside

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 06:46 PM
I think you have to let Ben in on this interview process . Not a fan of bowing to palyers but Ben is a HOF guy who is giving you a few more years it should be heavy on who he thinks can help them.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
01-15-2018, 06:57 PM
I'd rather hire a DC.

Born2Steel
01-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Any decent OC will work as far as getting position groups in sync. Just let Ben call his own plays. OL, WRs/TEs, RBs, all respond to Ben first anyway.

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 07:11 PM
I'd rather hire a DC.

Tomlin may be throwing Haley from the sled to save Butler since Tomlin has been more involved with the D since LeBeau was let go

I agree after a disappointing loss the biggest problem is not with the offensive unit that lost a 45-42 game

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Tomlin may be throwing Haley from the sled to save Butler since Tomlin has been more involved with the D since LeBeau was let go

I agree after a disappointing loss the biggest problem is not with the offensive unit that lost a 45-42 gameAnd it's more than shazier. Defense been suspect all season on third and long and against the run. Beside having zero plan for shazier . seriously having a street walking free agent who couldn't make the Titans or colts roster be a fill in on meaningful downs. Are you freaking high

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

FrancoLambert
01-15-2018, 07:39 PM
I want Ben as happy as can be. Hire Fichtner.

Hawkman
01-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Wow Mo.......I’ll come back in the Spring.

teegre
01-15-2018, 08:26 PM
This hire is all about keeping Ben happy

100%

Buuut... what if he says: “Bruce Arians”???

fansince'76
01-15-2018, 08:29 PM
100%

Buuut... what if he says: “Bruce Arians”???

I honestly think Arians is stepping down for health reasons. He really is retiring this time around, I believe.

teegre
01-15-2018, 08:36 PM
I honestly think Arians is stepping down for health reasons. He really is retiring this time around, I believe.

I think that you’re 90% correct. I think his wife wants him home (because, they’ve got precious little time left).

Craic
01-15-2018, 08:47 PM
I think that you’re 90% correct. I think his wife wants him home (because, they’ve got precious little time left).

If that's true it's very sad to hear. As for OC, I think I've made my opinion pretty clear . . . Fichtner is the only one I'd be okay with right now because of his relationship with Ben. I don't want Ben having to focus on learning a new system. I don't want Ben having to focus on learning new signals. I want Ben focusing on retaining fundamentals that he seemed to have lost at the beginning of the season. I don't want to watch the tale of two QBs again next year. So, get Fichtner and let them game plan however they want. Put time into the finding a good DC and even a good STC.

vasteeler
01-15-2018, 09:07 PM
I know I sound like a broken record now but I'm all for keeping Haley. Sometimes my boss and I don't see eye-to-eye but we work very well together

Lambert_Loonie
01-15-2018, 09:28 PM
This might be an odd name to throw out there, but Mike Munchak? I feel like he'd probably just be an OC in name only, because he'd probably let Ben do whatever he wants.

My thing is (and it's probably irrational), our o-line was such a shit-show before Munchak got here, and IMO we've had one of the better o-lines in the league since, especially at a time when offensive line play isas bad as it's ever been in the NFL. One hand, I feel like if he wanted to be an OC elsewhere, he would've been one by now. But would it be worth keeping him around in a different capacity or losing him entirely, just something to consider.

teegre
01-15-2018, 09:37 PM
This might be an odd name to throw out there, but Mike Munchak? I feel like he'd probably just be an OC in name only, because he'd probably let Ben do whatever he wants.

My thing is (and it's probably irrational), our o-line was such a shit-show before Munchak got here, and IMO we've had one of the better o-lines in the league since, especially at a time when offensive line play isas bad as it's ever been in the NFL. One hand, I feel like if he wanted to be an OC elsewhere, he would've been one by now. But would it be worth keeping him around in a different capacity or losing him entirely, just something to consider.

That’s not a bad idea. If nothing else, it keeps Munchak with the Steelers.

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 10:33 PM

Good idea!

j-d-s
01-15-2018, 10:44 PM
Then it's settled, Munch for OC :chuckle:.

Especially because then Ben probably calls more plays and under Haley and Arians we always were better off when Ben called the plays himself.

EzraTank
01-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Since Ben is hanging around for 2 or 3 more years you almost have to go with grandma Fitch. Ben doesn't want to learn a new offense and most of the pieces are in place.

Exactly. Once Ben retires we are basically going to have to rebuild anyhow.

Born2Steel
01-16-2018, 10:53 AM

I like this idea actually. It falls into the category of an OC that can keep all offensive units on the same page, but not so much of an X's and O's guy. Let Ben call his own plays mostly.

I have not been a 'replace Haley' guy up until this last game. This offense put up 42 points on the Jags. That is a great offensive showing against a very good, legitimate defense. At first, I thought how can we blame Haley? I now realize that despite Haley's bad play calls, the best WR in the game, and the best RB in the game, with a top 5 Oline, and a top 5 QB, made plays and kept us in this game. It wasn't Haley that got us to 42 points, it was the offensive talent. We don't need a top tier OC, just somebody that can keep players focus in the game, and let Ben be Ben.