PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Does Not Have Requisite Control of the Steelers

hawaiiansteeler
01-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Mike Tomlin Does Not Have Requisite Control of the Steelers

By: Henry McKenna | 1/15/18

The circus came to Pittsburgh.

Mike Tomlin’s players looked unprepared and unfocused in the first half of the Jacksonville Jaguars’ upset of the Steelers on Sunday. Tomlin only has himself to blame. The Steelers coach has created a laissez-faire environment where players can say and do whatever they want.

The result was a disorganized group of highly talented players who couldn’t get their act together for a Super Bowl run.

It all started when Tony Dungy and Tomlin sat down for an interview on NBC in November. Tomlin told Dungy there would be “fireworks” against the Patriots in Week 15. The Steelers coach promised the game would be the first of a two-part series — with the second being the AFC championship. He said all that before a Week 13 game against the Bengals, which the Steelers nearly lost, 23-20.

The writing was on the wall — Tomlin just didn’t read it.

That interview set the tone for the season. When players began talking incessantly about the Patriots in the regular season and the postseason, they followed their coach’s leadership. Tomlin said it was “ridiculous” not to acknowledge the obstacles on the way to their goal: a Super Bowl win. The Patriots, presumably, would be in the Steelers’ way. Meanwhile, New England would make no mention of Pittsburgh after the Week 15 win. Not even the Patriots’ signing of James Harrison, the Steelers’ franchise sack leader, could encourage chatter about Pittsburgh.

During the AFC divisional round, Mike Mitchell was emphatically promising a win over the Patriots in New England. Because, apparently, he wasn’t taking the Jaguars seriously. And the Jaguars took it to the Steelers for that exact reason. Steelers offensive lineman David Decastro, a Stanford man, did not approve of his team’s obsession with the Patriots.

“We played like crap, and we want to talk about New England?” David DeCastro said after the game Sunday. “I don’t know what to say about that. It’s just stupid. It’s just not what you do. You don’t need to give a team like that more bulletin board material.”

Sounds like a direct shot against Tomlin’s philosophy. Did I mention DeCastro went to Stanford? He seems like a smart guy.

to read rest of article:

http://thebiglead.com/2018/01/15/mike-tomlin-does-not-have-requisite-control-of-the-steelers/

fansince'76
01-15-2018, 04:30 PM
It all started when Tony Dungy and Tomlin sat down for an interview on NBC in November...

...That interview set the tone for the season.

So, an interview clear at the end of November "sets the tone for the season." OK.

Another "mom's basement" blogger...

stillers4me
01-15-2018, 04:31 PM
I'm really tired of hearing about it. The media created the circus (Steelers and Patriots* on a collision course, blah blah blah) and now they want to blame the clowns.

Movin' on..........Cutch was traded, Let's Go Pens.

hawaiiansteeler
01-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Steelers vs. Jaguars: 4 Winners and 4 Losers in the Steelers’ season-ending loss to Jacksonville

By Jeff.Hartman
Jan 15, 2018

LOSERS

Mike Tomlin

I am not one to blame coaches, but there were some huge decisions which came back to kick the Steelers in the behind. The worst decision of all, in my opinion, was the onside kick in the fourth quarter. It showed a genuine lack of trust in his players, and it ultimately gift-wrapped the win for the Jaguars. This wasn’t the only questionable decision, turning away points to go for it on fourth down, on more than one occasion, and at a time when the Steelers needed a prepared, and focused, start to the game, they were anything but — and that is a slap in the face of the man in charge.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-2017-2018-preview-playoffs-divisional-round-news-updates-roster-depth-chart-tickets-jaguars-how-to-watch/2018/1/15/16891274/steelers-vs-jaguars-winners-and-loser-in-the-steelers-season-ending-loss-to-jacksonville-playoffs

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 07:35 PM
So, an interview clear at the end of November "sets the tone for the season." OK.

Another "mom's basement" blogger...No but the coach that gave the interview sets the tone and it's a loose un discipline tone

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

plenewken
01-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Imagine if Lemieux owned the Steelers. Just saying .........

tube517
01-16-2018, 08:28 AM
DeCastro and Foster aren't happy about the pregame "talking" by their teammates

EzraTank
01-16-2018, 08:43 AM
If players can do and say what they want then why didn't Ben just run a QB sneak on either of those 4th down plays? I mean you have a pro-bowl guard and center. Ben should have said in the huddle, "F this play call, guys open a hole I'm getting this 1/2 yard."

Not that it mattered our defense gave up 38 points to Blake Bortles. Even if we somehow came back and won the Patriots would have destroyed this defense.

tube517
01-16-2018, 08:46 AM
If players can do and say what they want then why didn't Ben just run a QB sneak on either of those 4th down plays? I mean you have a pro-bowl guard and center. Ben should have said in the huddle, "F this play call, guys open a hole I'm getting this 1/2 yard."

Not that it mattered our defense gave up 38 points to Blake Bortles. Even if we somehow came back and won the Patriots would have destroyed this defense.

I agree but they haven't run a QB sneak in years. Even Ben said so in the post game presser. I don't understand why it was abandoned in the playbook. 18 for 19 is a pretty damn good conversion rate.

EzraTank
01-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Another "mom's basement" blogger...

Actually it does. You NEVER, EVER see Belichick talking like that. Remember the questions thrown at him after their loss in Miami about his team looking past the Dolphins to the Steelers? His look at the reporter and response says it all. He said, "Give me a break." And that was the end of it. Belichick never talks about any opponent except the very next one they're facing. That's why they win. They only look at what's in front of them and change their game plan on both sides of the ball week to week. If only our coaches could do that with our talent the past 15 years we should have 2-4 more Superbowl wins.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree but they haven't run a QB sneak in years. Even Ben said so in the post game presser. I don't understand why it was abandoned in the playbook. 18 for 19 is a pretty damn good conversion rate.

This is the playoffs. Do you think Farve or Brady would have not run one even if it wasn't in their playbook. They would have sent a big FU to Haley and run it. It's not rocket science. You tell those two guys to open a hole I'm coming right between you. The rest of the team only needed to know the snap count.

GBMelBlount
01-16-2018, 08:59 AM
"The result was a disorganized group of highly talented players who couldn’t get their act together for a Super Bowl run."

I believe this is true and that some of the blame falls on the players as well as coaches.

Iron Steeler
01-16-2018, 09:03 AM
I believe this is true and that some of the blame falls on the players as well as coaches.

That is why it is so frustrating !

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Actually it does. You NEVER, EVER see Belichick talking like that. Remember the questions thrown at him after their loss in Miami about his team looking past the Dolphins to the Steelers? His look at the reporter and response says it all. He said, "Give me a break." And that was the end of it. Belichick never talks about any opponent except the very next one they're facing. That's why they win. They only look at what's in front of them and change their game plan on both sides of the ball week to week. If only our coaches could do that with our talent the past 15 years we should have 2-4 more Superbowl wins.

Sorry, but I don't give a flying fuck about Belichick.

And, once again, the notion that an interview that took place in November set the tone for a season that started in early September is ridiculous.

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Imagine if Lemieux owned the Steelers. Just saying .........

What does that have to do with anything?

teegre
01-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Talking about it or not, the Taperiots did look past the Dolphins and they did lose.

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Talking about it or not, the Taperiots did look past the Dolphins and they did lose.

NUH-UH! BELICHIK SED THAY DINUNT AND HEEZ GEE-NEE-USSS!!! :jerkit:

EzraTank
01-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Sorry, but I don't give a flying fuck about Belichick.

And, once again, the notion that an interview that took place in November set the tone for a season that started in early September is ridiculous.

Your opinion but I do give a shit about Belichick. He leads the team that OWNS us and wins constantly. Tomlin seemed enamored with the Patriots so he SHOULD care about what Belichick does and should try to model himself after him.

- - - Updated - - -

No they didn't. The always struggle in Miami. It had nothing to do with them looking past the Dolphins.

Mojouw
01-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Your opinion but I do give a shit about Belichick. He leads the team that OWNS us and wins constantly. Tomlin seemed enamored with the Patriots so he SHOULD care about what Belichick does.

- - - Updated - - -

No they didn't. The always struggle in Miami. It had nothing to do with them looking past the Dolphins.

Steelers always struggle with the Jags - so what is good for the goose is good for the gander. But unemotional logic and reason are hard.

EzraTank
01-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Steelers always struggle with the Jags - so what is good for the goose is good for the gander. But unemotional logic and reason are hard.

You guys can spin it any way you want. I hate the Patriots and Belichick but you can't argue with their results. His teams never get embarrassed in the playoffs by Blake Bortles.

Mojouw
01-16-2018, 09:32 AM
This reads more like a lazy article than anything else. Again, no actual analysis, use of evidence, breakdown of plays, etc. Just confusing causation and correlation all over the place.

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
You guys can spin it any way you want. I hate the Patriots and Belichick but you can't argue with their results. His teams never get embarrassed in the playoffs by Blake Bortles.

They did lose a divisional game in Foxboro to Butt Fumble and got punked twice in the biggest game of all by the "lesser" Manning, though.

And then there were the 2 AFCCGs in Foxboro where Brady got outplayed by Moonball Joe and which only wound up being a 1-1 split because Lee Evans couldn't catch...

Rotorhead
01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Regardless of what most of the article said, the truth is they were not ready to play in the first half. That happens more often the not with this team coming off a bye. There seems to be no focus at times and poor game planning. Honestly if they didn't have this ridiculous talent to pull off some of these wins this would be a far below .500 team with poor coaching.

Mojouw
01-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Okay. So apply the same standard of evaluation to the rest of the playoff field. Who else wasn't ready to play, came out flat, and is a poorly coached team?

All three of these teams started slow, seemed to not respond well to the other teams tactics, and lost a winnable playoff game (Excluding the Titans. They weren't going to beat anyone!).

Titans - well...yeah...that was easy!
Falcons - maybe?
Saints - I dunno. Everyone tells me Sean Payton would win multiple championships with the Steelers roster.

AtlantaDan
01-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Ben was hurt running a sneak in 2008 in Washington. While he continued to run sneaks after that it may be that the playbook takes out anything to minimize potential injury as he ages. I know I am not pleased anytime Ben scrambles downfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. So apply the same standard of evaluation to the rest of the playoff field. Who else wasn't ready to play, came out flat, and is a poorly coached team?

All three of these teams started slow, seemed to not respond well to the other teams tactics, and lost a winnable playoff game (Excluding the Titans. They weren't going to beat anyone!).

Titans - well...yeah...that was easy!
Falcons - maybe?
Saints - I dunno. Everyone tells me Sean Payton would win multiple championships with the Steelers roster.

One year removed from a Super Bowl appearance it is claimed Dan Quinn is approaching his sell by date in Atlanta. This from an AJC columnist with some criticisms familiar to Steelers fans that the head coach's greatest skill is spouting cliches .

The failure of the Falcons’ season was a failure of coaching

A year after they should have won it all, the Falcons couldn’t get out of their own way. This makes us wonder which was the one-off in Dan Quinn’s stewardship – the year after the Super Bowl, or the Super Bowl run itself?
If Quinn’s ceaseless happy talk has grown old to us on the periphery, imagine hearing it every single workday: “Iron sharpens iron” and “It’s all about the ball” and yada yada yada. The shelf life on rah-rah is never long, and DQ is about to head into Year 4. If the Falcons underwhelm again next season, the tune-out factor – and I’m talking in-house – will become a mighty wave....

We’ve reached the point where it’s fair to ask if Coach Brotherhood has more in his bag o’ tricks than a box o’ bromides.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/the-failure-the-falcons-season-was-failure-coaching/BoKGIYXrLKplwTQOi2F5DO/

Mojouw
01-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Ben was hurt running a sneak in 2008 in Washington. While he continued to run sneaks after that it may be that the playbook takes out anything to minimize potential injury as he ages. I know I am not pleased anytime Ben scrambles downfield.

- - - Updated - - -

One year removed from a Super Bowl appearance it is claimed Dan Quinn is approaching his sell by date in Atlanta. This from an AJC columnist with some criticisms familiar to Steelers fans that the head coach's greatest skill is spouting cliches .

A year after they should have won it all, the Falcons couldn’t get out of their own way. This makes us wonder which was the one-off in Dan Quinn’s stewardship – the year after the Super Bowl, or the Super Bowl run itself?
If Quinn’s ceaseless happy talk has grown old to us on the periphery, imagine hearing it every single workday: “Iron sharpens iron” and “It’s all about the ball” and yada yada yada. The shelf life on rah-rah is never long, and DQ is about to head into Year 4. If the Falcons underwhelm again next season, the tune-out factor – and I’m talking in-house – will become a mighty wave....

We’ve reached the point where it’s fair to ask if Coach Brotherhood has more in his bag o’ tricks than a box o’ bromides.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/the-failure-the-falcons-season-was-failure-coaching/BoKGIYXrLKplwTQOi2F5DO/

I and with admittedly little knowledge, think Atlanta's problems are all put on Sarkesian this year. It was a bad hire and should really put Quinn on the hot-seat for his decision making.

tube517
01-16-2018, 11:09 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I saw that Ben was 7 for 8 under Haley w/sneaks and hasn't run it in the past 40 games. I thought it was longer than that but someone finally did the research. Apparently Ben asked for more sneaks but was shut down by Haley (and whoever else on "staff")

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-big-ben-wants-more-qb-sneaks-todd-haley-explains-why-it-wont-happen/

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12879075-85/steelers-notebook-coaching-staff-says-ben-roethlisberger-can-forget-about-qb-sneaks

AtlantaDan
01-16-2018, 11:13 AM
I and with admittedly little knowledge, think Atlanta's problems are all put on Sarkesian this year. It was a bad hire and should really put Quinn on the hot-seat for his decision making.

It was hiring a buddy recommended by their mutual former boss Pete Carroll. Quinn got to know Sarkasian when Quinn was in Seattle and Sarkasian was the HC at Washington.

In terms of hiring friends Dale Lolley has thrown out the rumor Jim Caldwell might be a potential Haley replacement - if there is a hire that might cause me to regret canning Haley that would do it for me.

Born2Steel
01-16-2018, 11:19 AM
I saw that Ben was 7 for 8 under Haley w/sneaks and hasn't run it in the past 40 games. I thought it was longer than that but someone finally did the research. Apparently Ben asked for more sneaks but was shut down by Haley (and whoever else on "staff")

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-big-ben-wants-more-qb-sneaks-todd-haley-explains-why-it-wont-happen/

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12879075-85/steelers-notebook-coaching-staff-says-ben-roethlisberger-can-forget-about-qb-sneaks

Tomlin addressed the 'Ben QB sneaks and draws' in the presser. Maybe everyone should find and listen to the coach on this.

tube517
01-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Tomlin addressed the 'Ben QB sneaks and draws' in the presser. Maybe everyone should find and listen to the coach on this.

Good, I'll watch it when I get a minute

Neversatisfied
01-16-2018, 11:33 AM
A lot of what's written in this article is true, the proof is in the pudding. How many times each season are the Steelers caught unprepared for a game, a hell of a lot more than any fan would like to admit. We've heard on several accounts that the locker room is a mess from former and current players. Mike Tomlin is very good at using big/complex words to bullshit his way though presser. Coaching is a gigantic issue for this organization whether people want to admit it or not but the fact remains it's been 7 years since the Steelers have been to a Superbowl and 10 since winning and that's a hell of a long time for the amount of talent. Coaching changes are needed but Mike Tomlin needs to change something or maybe it's time for the Rooney family to consider a change at HC if a Superbowl is desired.

plenewken
01-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Coaching changes are needed but Mike Tomlin needs to change something or maybe it's time for the Rooney family to consider a change at HC if a Superbowl is desired.

+1 to what you said at the end but it's not going to happen because Art Rooney II is not Mario Lemieux.

hawaiiansteeler
01-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Report: Some Steelers minority owners to lobby for Tomlin's dismissal

by Dane Belbeck

The Pittsburgh Steelers have only had three head coaches since 1969, but if it was up a few of the club's minority owners, they'd be hiring a fourth.

Some members of the Steelers' limited partners, a group that owns a minority stake in the team, intend to lobby owner Art Rooney to fire Mike Tomlin and search for a new coach, a source told Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

The report comes just two days after the Steelers fell at home in the AFC divisional round to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tomlin made a few controversial choices, most notably his decision to attempt an onside kick with just over two minutes left and the Steelers trailing by seven.

to read rest of article:

https://www.thescore.com/news/1463170

Neversatisfied
01-16-2018, 01:04 PM
The problem with Mike Tomlin coached teams is an inability or unwillingness to resolve reoccurring problems. Take tackling for example, this has been a thorn in this teams side for nearly 10 years. It cost them in 2011 vs Green bay and it cost them again in 2018 vs Jacksonville (not to mention countless games in between) . If the Rooneys fired Tomlin tomorrow, I believe it would be 100% justified.

Edman
01-16-2018, 01:20 PM
The Steelers are talented, but they lack discipline and underachieve. Tackling is still a crappy as ever and Mike Mitchell is a clown.

vasteeler
01-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Thank GOD some of you guys don't own this team

fansince'76
01-16-2018, 05:59 PM
The problem with Mike Tomlin coached teams is an inability or unwillingness to resolve reoccurring problems. Take tackling for example, this has been a thorn in this teams side for nearly 10 years. It cost them in 2011 vs Green bay and it cost them again in 2018 vs Jacksonville (not to mention countless games in between) . If the Rooneys fired Tomlin tomorrow, I believe it would be 100% justified.

Please. Tackling has been declining across the league for a number of years now, namely because of the CBA clause significantly curtailing full-contact padded practices:

1. Tackling could suffer. Defensive coaches are worried about the prospect of shoddy tackling without full-speed contact drills on a consistent basis. Although defenders have spent years crafting their skills, the frenetic pace of the game requires players to work on proper angles and tackling fundamentals regularly. Granted, some defenses have been able to flourish without banging daily, but it's hard to replicate the tempo, aggressiveness and angle discipline needed without contact.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8215c8ab/article/how-practice-changes-could-negatively-impact-nfl-games

Well, guess what? It HAS suffered - leaguewide. Tackling is a skill and it takes more than hitting dummies to keep it honed at a professional level.

teegre
01-17-2018, 06:27 AM
the fact remains it's been 7 years since the Steelers have been to a Superbowl and 10 since winning

In those 7 years, only three other AFC teams have made the Super Bowl: Taperiots, Broncos, Ravens.

In those 10 years, only three other AFC QBs have made the Super Bowl: Brady, Manning, Flacco.

That leaves 12 other AFC teams wishing they’d had done as well as the Steelers.

lipps83
01-17-2018, 07:00 AM
In those 7 years, only three other AFC teams have made the Super Bowl: Taperiots, Broncos, Ravens.

In those 10 years, only three other AFC QBs have made the Super Bowl: Brady, Manning, Flacco.

That leaves 12 other AFC teams wishing they’d had done as well as the Steelers.

To some, being successful isn't quite good enough. They have to be the best all the time, dammit.

Merica.