PDA

View Full Version : ROONEY STEP IN !

Moose
01-15-2018, 08:41 AM
With the way that miserable game played out against the Jags, in my opinion, it's TIME to make changes in the DEFENSE NOW ! If Tomlin doesn't get rid of people (some defensive coaches) then I think it's time for Rooney to step in and step up and demand it. This is getting embarrassing. This team, head coach and player's, talked smack for the past week. This team had a week off before the Jags, and we all saw how well they prepared. NO SACKS ... so screw the stats on our sack average. NO PASS RUSH on a average at most QB. A defense that let the Jags score 45 points. We had so many miss plays, missed tackles and to me it looked like players playing confused. Jags 'wide open' for long receptions. I know, we had 13 wins....great, but where did it get us ? No Lombardi and that's the whole idea of winning your season. I'm not a big Haley fan and some of his calls. But the offense did score 42 points. On side kick at end of game is questionable too, since there was plenty time to possibly get ball back.....IF you trusted your defense to NOT let the Jags score again....but apparently Tomlin didn't have that trust. So, that led's me back to saying this crap has gone on long enough. Apparently some defense coaching changes NEED to be made if you want to compete with our competition like the Pats. If Tomlin isn't going to do it.....Rooney STEP UP ! You can start with Porter for one to go. ( just my opinion and venting)

Hawkman
01-15-2018, 08:51 AM
:heh::rofl2:
With the way that miserable game played out against the Jags, in my opinion, it's TIME to make changes in the DEFENSE NOW ! If Tomlin doesn't get rid of people (some defensive coaches) then I think it's time for Rooney to step in and step up and demand it. This is getting embarrassing. This team, head coach and player's, talked smack for the past week. This team had a week off before the Jags, and we all saw how well they prepared. NO SACKS ... so screw the stats on our sack average. NO PASS RUSH on a average at most QB. A defense that let the Jags score 45 points. We had so many miss plays, missed tackles and to me it looked like players playing confused. Jags 'wide open' for long receptions. I know, we had 13 wins....great, but where did it get us ? No Lombardi and that's the whole idea of winning your season. I'm not a big Haley fan and some of his calls. But the offense did score 42 points. On side kick at end of game is questionable too, since there was plenty time to possibly get ball back.....IF you trusted your defense to NOT let the Jags score again....but apparently Tomlin didn't have that trust. So, that led's me back to saying this crap has gone on long enough. Apparently some defense coaching changes NEED to be made if you want to compete with our competition like the Pats. If Tomlin isn't going to do it.....Rooney STEP UP ! You can start with Porter for one to go. ( just my opinion and venting)
:smoker::rofl2: guess you missed the dark ages

steelreserve
01-15-2018, 08:56 AM
I wish I knew what to think of Porter as a coach. I've always thought player development is the mark of a good position coach, and for the linebackers there hasn't been much over the past few years. To be fair, there wasn't a whole lot before that either.

A guy like Munchak is about as close as you can get to the gold standard for position coaches, and let's be honest, you can't expect everyone to be like that. Maybe our DL coach is about what you should be shooting for across the board.

However, I think that even with the injury to Shazier, for us to have LB as the position with the most #1 draft picks in the last 10 years, and we still have no pass rush, no ability to stop the run in a game like that, and no depth to speak of ... that's a problem. Not a whole lot of leeway left there for me.

Steeldude
01-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Why isn't Tomlin on the chopping block?

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Why isn't Tomlin on the chopping block?

Because the Steelers have made the playoffs 4 consecutive years (longest Steelers streak since the 1992-97 teams), he has never been the head coach of a team with a losing record and his career regular season record is 116-60?

And firing the HC after a disappointing playoff loss is not the Rooney way - if Cowher survived a horrible 6-10 1999 season while losing 7 of his last 8 games Tomlin is not going anywhere.

Steeldude
01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Because the Steelers have made the playoffs 4 consecutive years (longest Steelers streak since the 1992-97 teams), he has never been the head coach of a team with a losing record and his career regular season record is 116-60?

And firing the HC after a disappointing playoff loss is not the Rooney way - if Cowher survived a horrible 6-10 1999 season while losing 7 of his last 8 games Tomlin is not going anywhere.

They made the playoffs with Haley and Butler too.

I am not saying fire Tomlin or anyone at this point, but he is the HC who repeatedly loses to inferior teams. These are his coaches he picked/retained/promoted.

Yep, and the Steelers were 13-3 this past season. It's good, but it's really a meaningless stat if you do not go to the SB.

The Steelers may go to the SB in 2019, but that's if they don't play the Patriots or Jaguars.

SteelerFanInStl
01-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I wish I knew what to think of Porter as a coach. I've always thought player development is the mark of a good position coach, and for the linebackers there hasn't been much over the past few years. To be fair, there wasn't a whole lot before that either.

A guy like Munchak is about as close as you can get to the gold standard for position coaches, and let's be honest, you can't expect everyone to be like that. Maybe our DL coach is about what you should be shooting for across the board.

However, I think that even with the injury to Shazier, for us to have LB as the position with the most #1 draft picks in the last 10 years, and we still have no pass rush, no ability to stop the run in a game like that, and no depth to speak of ... that's a problem. Not a whole lot of leeway left there for me.

I don't think that Porter or Lake are good coaches. If they're not going to get rid of Butler they need to at least look to replace both of them.

st33lersguy
01-15-2018, 09:44 AM
John Mitchell is the only defensive coach that should be kept. Everyone else needs their walking papers

Moose
01-15-2018, 09:55 AM
John Mitchell is the only defensive coach that should be kept. Everyone else needs their walking papers

I agree ! Maybe ALL defense coaches should be reevaluated ! At this point doesn't look like anyone knows anything and keeps getting hammered year after year, and seem unprepared year after year. A medium or lesser QB such as we faced with the Jags, and us having a week off, we should have won EASILY......NO EXCUSES AT ALL !! It's time for Rooney to have a chopping block meeting. They keep the shit we have on defense, but squabble over paying BELL ????