2. Defense
3. Defense
4. Defense
5. Defense
6. Defense
7. Defense
Comp Pick
Long Snapper lol

Ps. please fire Butler before the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelerCountry58
01-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Depends on what Ben decides. He needs to come out sooner then later with what he is doing. Don’t hold the team hostage, you’re either here or you’re retiring. Plans need to be made.

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Depends on what Ben decides. He needs to come out sooner then later with what he is doing. Don’t hold the team hostage, you’re either here or you’re retiring. Plans need to be made.

Ben's talk after the game today says that he's coming back.

For the draft, we need ILB and FS.

SteelerCountry58
01-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Ben's talk after the game today says that he's coming back.

For the draft, we need ILB and FS. Good to hear that. Stability is a must this off-season. Hopefully Colbert does his homework.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-14-2018, 04:34 PM
I'd still take a QB in the first!

st33lersguy
01-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Really unbelievable that they still need to focus a lot on defense in the draft (though it won't matter who they draft if Butler isn't fired). On offense they should draft a QB if the right one falls to them and they still need a starter caliber TE (what they have now at the position isn't cutting it)

Born2Steel
01-14-2018, 04:54 PM
The 1st round will be BPA on the board. Always the play for the 1st round of the draft. If you gamble on a position, and miss, you gain absolutely nothing.

Neversatisfied
01-14-2018, 04:55 PM
The way the defense played you could argue any position in the draft. The front 3 were awful today( 5 combined tackles) and the linebackers weren't much better. Safety is a major concern as well but look past that to the QB position, Ben wants to come back and he should but this years crop of QB talent is reason enough to make a move and get Ben's replacement. 2 4th and a foot situations and if Ben isn't physically capable of gaining that then it's time to look ahead

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 04:57 PM
The way the defense played you could argue any position in the draft. The front 3 were awful today( 5 combined tackles) and the linebackers weren't much better. Safety is a major concern as well but look past that to the QB position, Ben wants to come back and he should but this years crop of QB talent is reason enough to make a move and get Ben's replacement. 2 4th and a foot situations and if Ben isn't physically capable of gaining that then it's time to look ahead

Ben said that he's willing to run the QB sneak. Haley just doesn't call it.

teegre
01-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Yeah... but, some people are Neversatisfied.

01-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Great post Never! I agree on all points and this draft is the one to get Ben's replacement.

Steelerchad
01-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately they've spent 6 #1's on D in the last 7 years and have little to show for it.

- - - Updated - - -

then he should have audibled to it. A tap on Pouncey and hit the gap between your pro bowl center and guard.

Iron Steeler
01-14-2018, 05:32 PM

Bens got to call it himself.

Theres alot of looking around at eachother with these 4th down scenarios. Like who wants to be responsible for this decision?

We should have 4th and inches plays dialed up, practiced, and ready to go so our QB can make the call right there in the moment.

stillers4me
01-14-2018, 05:47 PM
I don't think Shazier is going to be ready next year...if ever. We need to address the glaring hole left by him.

and of course, what is a Steelers draft without praying for ....Troy V2.0!

Steeldude
01-14-2018, 05:58 PM
BPA - TE, OLB, ILB, S, CB

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 06:01 PM
So we are all set on the defensive line?

ILB and FS are more of a priority. Cam is an All Pro and Tuitt can also be great. We also have depth with Alualu and Walton both playing well. Hargrave played very well early this season but I'm not really sold on him as a NT.

Craic
01-14-2018, 06:01 PM

I'd agree for the most part, but flip OLB and ILB. I believe Shazier's replacement needs to be found before we worry about replacing one of our OLBs.

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 06:03 PM

TE isn't near the top for me. McDonald and Outlaw are good enough. Our offense has a ton of weapons already. Defense is a priority and I put ILB first with FS second.

teegre
01-14-2018, 06:03 PM
With BB coming back, unless one of the top-tier QBs drops to 30, I could see them waiting until a later round to draft a QB. I was on the TE train until today (sorry, Shoes); the middle of the defense HAS to be the priority. Plus, BB seems to like McDonald.

As of 1/14/18...

R1: Justin Reid, FS, Stanford
R2: Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise St.
R3: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

or

R1: Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
R2: Jordan Whitehead, S, Pitt

Bluecoat96
01-14-2018, 06:28 PM
TE isn't near the top for me. McDonald and Outlaw are good enough. Our offense has a ton of weapons already. Defense is a priority and I put ILB first with FS second.I agree. McDonald and his drop issues seemed to not be a problem as he got more comfortable in the offense. A full off-season with Big Ben and company certainly will help as well.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Neversatisfied
01-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Yeah... but, some people are Neversatisfied.

Lol, classic!

st33lersguy
01-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Normally there are 3 positions that I would target in round 1 but this year, there are 5.

S: The steelers need a safety capable of covering receivers, which they don't have right now (I don't want a safety with stated cover issues)

ILB: Taking into account that Shazier may never play again the only ILB worth anything on this team is Vince Williams and he struggles in coverage. Need an ILB who can cover

OLB: TJ Watt is currently the only OLB worth anything on this team. Keion Adams was supposedly good in camp, but I need to see him in games

TE: Since Heath Miller retired, all the TEs have either been trash, can't stay on the field, or both. Giving up a 4th for Vance McDonald was a mistake

QB: This is less urgent with Ben coming back but if the right QB is there at pick 28, they should nab him

FrancoLambert
01-15-2018, 09:59 AM
TE isn't near the top for me. McDonald and Outlaw are good enough. Our offense has a ton of weapons already. Defense is a priority and I put ILB first with FS second.

:amen:

EzraTank
01-15-2018, 10:03 AM
I'd still take a QB in the first!

I don't if Ben is coming back unless there is a talent there you can't pass on. Shazier is most likely done, you take ILB first and foremost.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-15-2018, 10:06 AM
For the draft, we need ILB and FS.

Agreed. Having to bring Spence back from being out of football to start shows poor depth there. Mitchell is all talk and no results.

Moose
01-15-2018, 10:07 AM
It doesn't matter what we draft on defensive players if we still have all the buffoon defensive coaches we have now ! They'll end up ruining the poor kids or not teaching them the correct way to do things and get them injured.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Saw that on NFLN and LT and Sanders were just blown away that Ben said that. Tomlinson said "you cant say that, but Ben's done stuff like that before". Personally, I don't think Ben is athletic as when younger and the QB sneak wasn't the right call either, but a toss outside isn't. IMO, its a straight ahead give and let Bell follow the block or hit the seam.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter what we draft on defensive players if we still have all the buffoon defensive coaches we have now ! They'll end up ruining the poor kids or not teaching them the correct way to do things and get them injured.

Do you think that if the Steelers drafted a great prospect at the ILB position, that he would suddenly forget things he learned playing 8+ years of football, like how to tackle, because of the defensive coaches? :doh:

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Agreed. Having to bring Spence back from being out of football to start shows poor depth there. Mitchell is all talk and no results.

I think the Steelers also need to finally commit to getting a legitimate "cover first" FS. For years they have really blurred the lines between their SS and FS with the result being they usually field a safety group that is heavily slanted towards players that are far more comfortable playing downhill towards the line of scrimmage than they are patrolling deep centerfield. I realize part of that is player acquisition/availability issues - there are far more SS style players out there each off-season cycle than true FS candidates. But I honestly believe the addition of that type of player would have an immediate and cascading affect on the defense.

Steeldude
01-15-2018, 10:24 AM
I'd agree for the most part, but flip OLB and ILB. I believe Shazier's replacement needs to be found before we worry about replacing one of our OLBs.

Mine wasn't in any order. TE is the least on my priory list out of the positions I mentioned.

I would place ILB before OLB also. But it all comes down to BPA. If there aren't any top ILBs available in the first round I would choose whoever is the best out of CB, S or OLB. Trading down may be an option also.

hawaiiansteeler
01-15-2018, 03:19 PM
2018 NFL Draft Order: Pittsburgh Steelers will select 28th overall

The Pittsburgh Steelers are officially onto the NFL Draft...

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jan 15, 2018

Just like that, the Pittsburgh Steelers go from potential Super Bowl contenders, to the 2018 NFL Draft.

As shocking as the team’s loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars was in every possible way, the thought of turning our attention to the Draft might be even more disturbing. The season wasn’t supposed to end this way. Not for late owner Dan Rooney, and certainly not for injured linebacker Ryan Shazier, yet here we are.

With the Steelers officially out of the playoffs, they have solidified their spot in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft. Pittsburgh will select 28th overall in the first round of the college selection process.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2018/1/15/16892704/2018-nfl-draft-order-pittsburgh-steelers-will-select-28th-overall-first-round-news

Iron Steeler
01-15-2018, 03:35 PM
1st Round BPA ILB, FS, or TRUE DOMINATE RUN STUFFING NT.

Vita Vea is my early favorite

NT from Washington

https://youtu.be/P2MBuoepc1I

SteelMember
01-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Roquan Smith announced he's going to the draft. Would be a dynamic pick if available. If you're looking to stop the run, Joisey Jewell wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I'd rather either than a reach on the "prospective" pick of PSU safety Marcus Allen in the 1st... and I'm a PSU fan. 2nd round, okay. :wink02:

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Im still really puzzled by the lack of desire to upgrade at tight end. Vance has shown you guys enough to:

1) Stay on the field?
2) Not drop the ball?
3) Be productive?
4) Worth the price tag?

He's gonna be a cap hit of $4.6 million-$6.4 million a season for the duration of his contract. I have no doubt that he will be a nice piece for the offense if healthy, but he had so many unrelated injuries throughout the season that im not convinced. Id rather ask him to take a pay cut or get rid of him.

I would love a complete tight end like Fumagalli out of Wisconsin in the 1st round. If we keep Vance and he stays healthy, it still wouldnt be a waste of a pick. Double tight end sets (with both tight ends being monster blockers and receiving threats), sign me up. Our offense will make this year's offense look like a joke

James and Grimble are just terrible. I dont think a single player on the roster is graded on a more generous curve than James. I have no idea why. Is it the cool nick name, the size, the fact that he's from Pitt? The bias needs to be dropped down the garbage disposal

Safety appears to be the highest priority though. Mitchell needs to go ASAP. We dont know if Davis is going to pan out yet

GBMelBlount
01-15-2018, 03:59 PM

I am in agreement.

11 good players who are very well coached and play as a unit are often better than more gifted individuals that are out of synch (or play uninspired).

Case in point: Steelers vs. Jags Playoff game

I noticed immediately that the Jags were playing collectively inspired football on both sides of the ball and punched us in the mouth.

We came out lethargic like it was a practice imo.

I also believe great coaches and team camaraderie can inspire this type of great play.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Im still really puzzled by the lack of desire to upgrade at tight end. Vance has shown you guys enough to:

1) Stay on the field?
2) Not drop the ball?
3) Be productive?
4) Worth the price tag?

He's gonna be a cap hit of $4.6 million-$6.4 million a season for the duration of his contract. I have no doubt that he will be a nice piece for the offense if healthy, but he had so many unrelated injuries throughout the season that im not convinced. Id rather ask him to take a pay cut or get rid of him.

I would love a complete tight end like Fumagalli out of Wisconsin in the 1st round. If we keep Vance and he stays healthy, it still wouldnt be a waste of a pick. Double tight end sets (with both tight ends being monster blockers and receiving threats), sign me up. Our offense will make this year's offense look like a joke

James and Grimble are just terrible. I dont think a single player on the roster is graded on a more generous curve than James. I have no idea why. Is it the cool nick name, the size, the fact that he's from Pitt? The bias needs to be dropped down the garbage disposal

I would love to pick up Andrews but he won't be there at 28 and I can't see the steelers reaching in R1 when there is a pressing need at ILB. But hopefully R2 or R3. Here's a list of TE

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Tight-Ends-2018-Draft.asp

Buckinnuts
01-15-2018, 04:03 PM
i would draft qb..mason rudolph
olb.. dupree replacement.guy is like useless to me..that position 1-2 years good then they dissappear(woodley)
safety
ilb
nt
o line
missed not having timmons around

SteelMember
01-15-2018, 04:16 PM

It would be a nice luxury, but the defense still needs every early pick we can throw at it at this point, imho. Get the TE, WR and OL help 4th or later.

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2018, 05:11 PM
It would be a nice luxury, but the defense still needs every early pick we can throw at it at this point, imho. Get the TE, WR and OL help 4th or later.

im curious to see people's strategic analysis on the tight end situation though. If were picking that late, clearly we arent counting on a new tight end to contribute as a starter. I dont think people are realizing just how expensive Vance is. And he's missed 22 games in 5 seasons. He had 4 separate injuries this past season alone, that might mean something different to everyone.

James and Grimble suck at everything. If we keep Mcdonald, were gambling hard with his health/pricetag. If we cut Mcdonald and dont get a tight end early, were conceding a lot of mediocrity in one position

Again, not the biggest of concerns, but for these reasons I definitely think tight end should be considered a serious option if value dictates as much at the 28th pick

teegre
01-15-2018, 08:41 PM

1) Stay on the field?
2) Not drop the ball?
3) Be productive?
4) Worth the price tag?

Safety appears to be the highest priority though. Mitchell needs to go ASAP. We dont know if Davis is going to pan out yet

As I said in another thread...

Fumigalli has been my R2 pick for four months. But, that game showed me that we HAVE to address the defense (ILB, FS).

Plus, BB seems to like McDonald.

Craic
01-15-2018, 09:50 PM
With Ben's declaration he's in it for another three years or so, drafting a QB now would be wrong since their contract would only be 5 years. We wouldn't have seen enough out of him (one season) to sign him to a long term contract when the Steelers like to do so (before the last year). That being said, three years is also enough time to see what Joshua Dobbs can do and how he'll develop. So, unless a stud dropped to us for some inexplicable reason, there's no reason to draft a QB right now.

So, the focus shifts to the defense. Where are we weakest? ILB. Second weakest? OLB. Third weakest? I know people will say safety, or CBs, but I don't see it. We are at the worst, average. Our CBs and safeties were not beat today, except by one (lucky) long pass. So, after ILB and OLB, I think the focus shifts back to the offense and a TE. I like what MacDonald showed us, but I didn't like how inoften he was able to show it. So, that'd be my third in level of necessity. However, I'd be willing to forgo that for a power running back that can compliment Bell and just pound the ball up the middle when necessary. There is NO REASON with this o line that we can't gain a yard on 4th and 1. Thus, call that third and fourth level of necessity, interchangeable. From there, it's a crap shoot. If a safety comes along, pick him up. If another CB comes along, pick him up. But really, we are knee deep in decent to good CBs right now. For those who are down on Burns, give it time. It was his sophomore season. There's a reason they call it the sophomore slump. I think we'll see some good growth in his third year.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Todd McShay has the Steelers selecting Dallas Goedert (https://247sports.com/Player/Dallas-Goedert-46037790) with the 31st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/McShay-has-Steelers-picking-TE-Dallas-Goedert-in-1st-Mock-Draft-112338919

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=RQmLFUl5kjc

hawaiiansteeler
01-16-2018, 01:29 AM
Todd McShay has the Steelers selecting Dallas Goedert (https://247sports.com/Player/Dallas-Goedert-46037790) with the 31st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/McShay-has-Steelers-picking-TE-Dallas-Goedert-in-1st-Mock-Draft-112338919

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=RQmLFUl5kjc

this will make Shoes very happy :rofl2:

BlackAndGold
01-16-2018, 07:27 AM
With Ben saying he wants to play for 3 more seasons, you can flat out rule on them taking a QB, especially taking Dobbs last year.

S/ILB
ILB/S
TE(With Vance most likely being brought back, not sure how high they take one. Good TE class though, I'd look to take advantage of the depth)
OL

teegre
01-16-2018, 09:25 AM
With Ben saying he wants to play for 3 more seasons, you can flat out rule on them taking a QB, especially taking Dobbs last year.

Agreed

I’m tempted to take Fumagalli in R2... but, which position (ILB or FS) has to wait until R3???

Psycho Ward 86
01-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Agreed

I’m tempted to take Fumagalli in R2... but, which position (ILB or FS) has to wait until R3???

The safety free agent market is deep and talented. If we have to wait, im waiting on safety and going ILB early (assuming we pick up a Mitchell replacement in FA)

EzraTank
01-16-2018, 10:24 AM
With Ben's declaration he's in it for another three years or so, drafting a QB now would be wrong since their contract would only be 5 years. We wouldn't have seen enough out of him (one season) to sign him to a long term contract when the Steelers like to do so (before the last year). That being said, three years is also enough time to see what Joshua Dobbs can do and how he'll develop. So, unless a stud dropped to us for some inexplicable reason, there's no reason to draft a QB right now.

So, the focus shifts to the defense. Where are we weakest? ILB. Second weakest? OLB. Third weakest? I know people will say safety, or CBs, but I don't see it. We are at the worst, average. Our CBs and safeties were not beat today, except by one (lucky) long pass. So, after ILB and OLB, I think the focus shifts back to the offense and a TE. I like what MacDonald showed us, but I didn't like how inoften he was able to show it. So, that'd be my third in level of necessity. However, I'd be willing to forgo that for a power running back that can compliment Bell and just pound the ball up the middle when necessary. There is NO REASON with this o line that we can't gain a yard on 4th and 1. Thus, call that third and fourth level of necessity, interchangeable. From there, it's a crap shoot. If a safety comes along, pick him up. If another CB comes along, pick him up. But really, we are knee deep in decent to good CBs right now. For those who are down on Burns, give it time. It was his sophomore season. There's a reason they call it the sophomore slump. I think we'll see some good growth in his third year.

Great post. Our secondary is actually coming together, but when you give any QB (yes even Bortles) that much time with no pressure to throw and let guys run wide open in the middle of the field ANY QB in the NFL is going to look great. I mean look at what Ben did to the Jags vaunted defense with time. He hung 42 points on them.

But we're stuck with Haden and Mitchell anyhow. If we could just get pressure on the QB again our secondary won't have to cover to 7 seconds.

BlackAndGold
01-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Agreed

I'll take a ILB very high if Shazier can no longer play(I believe we'll hear more news within 2 months)

There is a few ILB's I like in rounds 3/4

Jerome Baker, OSU
Lorenzo Carter, Georgia
Skai Moore, South Carolina(tries not to throw up

Rotorhead
01-16-2018, 10:45 AM
The safety free agent market is deep and talented. If we have to wait, im waiting on safety and going ILB early (assuming we pick up a Mitchell replacement in FA)

I 100% agree on this, the FA safeties this year are plentiful. Replace Mitchell with a FA and then we free up a draft slot. For the Draft I think we go with best avail between ILB and OLB for the first pick, second would be the one we didn't get in the first, then a NT. After that I don't care. But we need to absolutely hit on our ILB pick.

Born2Steel
01-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Which offenses give us the biggest fits defensively? What is it that they do that we don't have the personnel to stop? We have a stellar Dline, with quality depth and rotation. VW and Watt played well all season, but the rest of the LB corp were mostly footnotes. The CBs were a very nice surprise this year. Haden, Sutton, Hilton, Burns, and Gay, all made significant plays. Mitchell and Davis both played out of position and missed angles, allowing for big plays in every game.

Thus, I would focus on upgrading our LB corp, and safeties. IMO, Mitchell and Davis both need to be upgraded. Time to get serious about the safety position. I do not expect Shazier back, and even if he does make it back, expect some missed games. We need a new starter and depth at ILB. Watt showed that he can be a special player. Can he move to ILB? If so, then we need to draft/FA 2 OLBs, that will need the time to learn, something that is not popular for this forum. Since this is a draft thread, I will go with BPA in the first, still. With all of the QB hungry teams this draft, positions of need should be a little deeper than usual.

BlackAndGold
01-22-2018, 09:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_alNNzT1n0

Going to be a monster. Mind you he's almost 6'5"

Dinse
01-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Hey all. First post here. Long time board creeper...

Anyway - really hoping that we pick up some good defensive players in the draft. I’m thinking they really need to not just focus on skill, but try and find players like Polamalu who don’t just talk trash, but make statements with their play. Seems like a culture change is neeeded. We really need guys who can keep their mouth shut (unlike Williams and Mitchell) and can lead through action.

DesertSteel
01-22-2018, 10:46 AM

Anyway - really hoping that we pick up some good defensive players in the draft. I’m thinking they really need to not just focus on skill, but try and find players like Polamalu who don’t just talk trash, but make statements with their play. Seems like a culture change is neeeded. We really need guys who can keep their mouth shut (unlike Williams and Mitchell) and can lead through action.
There's a problem with Vince Williams running his mouth?

Born2Steel
01-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Thanks for finally posting. If you have some players you think fit that mold, don't hesitate to bring their names up on here for discussion. There will be many opinions about each one, I'm sure.

Born2Steel
01-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Here's a name to throw out there in a draft discussion. If there will be no Bell next season, could this guy be Bell 2.0?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/3929828/lj-scott

He never put up Bell's 2012 yardage, but he never got 300+ attempts either. Still an impressive size, speed, and yards/carry. Anybody watch this guy at MichState?

teegre
01-22-2018, 02:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_alNNzT1n0

Going to be a monster. Mind you he's almost 6'5"

Yes... yes, he is.

We have discussed how Rashaan Evans can play OLB/ ILB... well, Edmunds is even more versatile. I'd love ot see him paired up on the same defense as TJ Watt.

Let's add his brother, too.

R1: Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, VaTech
R2: Terrell Edmunds, S, VaTech

(Alas... Tremaine should be gone by 28.)

BlackAndGold
01-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Yes... yes, he is.

We have discussed how Rashaan Evans can play OLB/ ILB... well, Edmunds is even more versatile. I'd love ot see him paired up on the same defense as TJ Watt.

Edmunds already going high as 10 in mocks.

No shot are landing him. I'm not even sure we can get Evans. He's going to test well at the combine.

teegre
01-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Edmunds already going high as 10 in mocks.

No shot are landing him. I'm not even sure we can get Evans. He's going to test well at the combine.

Yep and yep.

Roquan, Tremaine, and Rashaan should all be gone by 28.

My sleeper is Leighton Vander Esch.

cubanstogie
01-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Yep and yep.

Roquan, Tremaine, and Rashaan should all be gone by 28.

My sleeper is Leighton Vander Esch.
Malik Jefferson has shazier like speed.some of these guys mentioned have to be around considering all the teams that need qbs

teegre
01-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Malik Jefferson has shazier like speed.some of these guys mentioned have to be around considering all the teams that need qbs

If Jefferson can somehow turn his other-worldly skills into NFL production, he would be in the top 5 of this draft.

With the right coach (Belichick...ugh) he could be as good as we’ve seen in a long, long time.

As far as one of the ILBs dropping to the Steelers... I’m hoping that as many QBs, OTs, WRs, and CBs go in the top 27 as possible (pushing the ILBs and/or Ss down to us).

Shoes
01-22-2018, 04:34 PM
Yes... yes, he is.

VT + Tomlin + a dilly dilly = #1 pick. Unless a good TE is available. :chuckle:

tube517
01-22-2018, 04:56 PM
Yes... yes, he is.

https://media.giphy.com/media/9FPeFzM0AObQc/giphy.gif :chuckle:

pczach
01-22-2018, 05:07 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/9FPeFzM0AObQc/giphy.gif :chuckle:

I had no idea anyone actually saw me do that! :lol:

st33lersguy
01-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Breakdown of Jefferson. Lack of coverage is a concern but I like some of the tackles he made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDaIbh3zZsk

BlackAndGold
01-23-2018, 05:55 AM

Can't wait to see some tape breakdowns from him, one of the guys I mentioned as a mid round ILB.

This is a great draft for ILB's it seems. Would be smart to walk away with at least two.

BlackAndGold
01-23-2018, 06:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWMn2kZ3r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f2QZrwm038

BlackAndGold
01-23-2018, 07:01 AM
1. Safety (Justin Reid?)
2. Jerome Baker, ILB, OSU (he may be considered a early 2nd round pick)
3. Darius Leonard, ILB, SCS

Revamp the ILB group with fast LB's, which is needed in today's NFL. You'll see how much the defense improves by doing so.

DesertSteel
01-23-2018, 09:33 AM
I like RB Nick Chubb in the 2nd.

BlackAndGold
01-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Bell is going to be tagged.

Maybe a late round RB.

Born2Steel
01-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Even with the tag....depending on how they feel about Conner at this point. Which how could they know much as little as he played. If taking a RB, set your sights on 2-3 that fit what we do, and take the best option, in the round that makes sense for his value to US. Bell is probably gone 2019, Conner and 'RBX' will maybe play as a tandem starting then. You still want the quality RB, not MrBackup.

BlackAndGold
01-23-2018, 12:21 PM
They used a 3rd round pick on a Conner to back up Bell. I'd be surprised if they took another RB highly to back up Conner(or vice versa) & Bell.

Ridley could be re-signed which will be cheap, Fitz will more than likely be back. Running back is low on the priority list.

Born2Steel
01-23-2018, 12:25 PM
They used a 3rd round pick on a RB to back up Bell. I'd be surprised if they took another RB highly to back up Conner(or vice versa) & Bell.

Ridley could be re-signed which will be cheap, Fitz will more than likely be back. Running back is low on the priority list.

You may be right. I think it depends on Bell right now though. Currently, the only RB we have under contract(unless I'm missing something recent) is Conner. I think it is a higher priority today than TE or even Safety.

stillers4me
01-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Moose
01-23-2018, 05:51 PM
DEFENSE COACHING changes !

AtlantaDan
01-23-2018, 06:06 PM
Bell is going to be tagged.

Maybe a late round RB.

Salary cap is a bigger mess than I realized until I looked at it more closely - tough to fit Bell's tag cost under it with other 2018 expenses

RB in second round unless Bell is signed to a long term deal by draft day

ILB in first round

Take care of safety replacement for Mitchell (released for both production and $5 million cap savings) through free agency

BlackAndGold
01-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Salary cap is a bigger mess than I realized until I looked at it more closely - tough to fit Bell's tag cost under it with other 2018 expenses

ILB in first round

Take care of safety replacement for Mitchell (released for both production and $5 million cap savings) through free agency

I expect room to be made by contract restructures and a Ben extension(which would lower his cap hit correct? not a cap expert). I just don't see them not tagging Bell.

Cutting MM would also surprise me. Can't see Colbert going into the draft with just Golden and Davis starting as the safeties, not his M.O.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this. I'm sure some 'report' will come out about this situation soon.

AtlantaDan
01-23-2018, 06:34 PM
I expect room to be made by contract restructures and a Ben extension(which would lower his cap hit correct? not a cap expert). I just don't see them not tagging Bell.

Cutting MM would also surprise me. Can't see Colbert going into the draft with just Golden and Davis starting as the safeties, not his M.O.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this. I'm sure some 'report' will come out about this situation soon.

Mitchell has to go for the cap savings alone - someone will be signed for ILB or safety in free agency - will not expect to fill both through draft

FYI are two links to the cap situation - in hindsight Steelers put all their chips on winning in 2017

Do you think the Steelers are sitting pretty regarding their salary cap situation? Well, think again.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2018/1/17/16891524/the-2018-pittsburgh-steelers-salary-cap-situation-kevin-colbert-mike-tomlin-nfl

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

cubanstogie
01-23-2018, 07:50 PM
I like the other Georgia back Sony michel due to Home run potential. Dude is fast. Kerryon johnson good also. I would rather see them wait til later rounds for those guys than waste early pick on a Bryce love, or the guy from LSU, Barkley obviously will be long gone. There are some solid rb’s that will be available in rounds 3 and 4

Born2Steel
01-23-2018, 08:05 PM

ILB in first round

That's the golden ticket for the team. The tag can always be revoked if a RB falls to the Steelers. 'Bell gets franchise tagged, Bell 2.0 gets drafted, Steelers untag Bell, Bell is now officially on the streets'. IMO, this is a worse case scenario because we just let the best RB walk for no return. But, it seems to me, this will be the scenario, OR Bell plays for 1 more year on the franchise tag. I see no other option unless the most unlikely deal gets made.

Born2Steel
01-23-2018, 08:11 PM
I like the other Georgia back Sony michel due to Home run potential. Dude is fast. Kerryon johnson good also. I would rather see them wait til later rounds for those guys than waste early pick on a Bryce love, or the guy from LSU, Barkley obviously will be long gone. There are some solid rb’s that will be available in rounds 3 and 4

I'm a Michel fan also. He could end up a Steeler, IMO. If we do cut ties with Bell this offseason, I would like to go to a 2 back system, more how the Titans, Saints, Pats, Jags, etc, use their RBs.

One problem with waiting is we don't currently have a 4th round pick. So to get a premier skills RB, we would need to draft him in the first 3 rounds. Or try to land a diamond in the rough in the 5th round. As of right now, we only have Conner under contract. I think I see a bigger need at RB than the majority on here do.

FrancoLambert
01-23-2018, 08:20 PM
]I like the other Georgia back Sony michel due to Home run potential.[/B] Dude is fast. Kerryon johnson good also. I would rather see them wait til later rounds for those guys than waste early pick on a Bryce love, or the guy from LSU, Barkley obviously will be long gone. There are some solid rb’s that will be available in rounds 3 and 4

Me too.

At the start of the college season I would have also said Chubb.

At the end, I liked what I saw from Michel.....more big play potential.

AtlantaDan
01-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Me too.

At the start of the college season I would have also said Chubb.

At the end, I liked what I saw from Michel.....more big play potential.

Yep - Chubb and Michel both had big days against the chump Oklahoma defense but when Georgia came up against Alabama and the quality of athletes seen in the NFL Chubb had problems (18 carries/25 yards) but Michel performed (14 caries/98 yards) - some UGA fans were frustrated Georgia coaches stuck with the two back system in the championship game rather than just going with Michel later in the game

cubanstogie
01-23-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm a Michel fan also. He could end up a Steeler, IMO. If we do cut ties with Bell this offseason, I would like to go to a 2 back system, more how the Titans, Saints, Pats, Jags, etc, use their RBs.

One problem with waiting is we don't currently have a 4th round pick. So to get a premier skills RB, we would need to draft him in the first 3 rounds. Or try to land a diamond in the rough in the 5th round. As of right now, we only have Conner under contract. I think I see a bigger need at RB than the majority on here do.
I think rb over te, this year not good for te’s. I have no problem with mc Donald and jj as te next year.

pczach
01-24-2018, 05:00 AM

I like Michel much more than Chubb as well.

teegre
01-24-2018, 05:45 AM
1. Safety (Justin Reid?)

He is my favorite safety in this draft (besides, you know, Minkah Fitzpatrick). He can play FS or SS (or CB). His versatility allows DCs to get creative (which can confuse QBs).

On one play, he is in the box (while Davis drops back as the FS). On second down, he covers a receiver. On third down, he plays centerfield. And... since Davis is equally as versatile (although restricted, IMO, due to Mitchell not being versitile), you’d have a scary good pair of safeties.

BlackAndGold
01-24-2018, 08:20 AM
He is my favorite safety in this draft (besides, you know, Minkah Fitzpatrick). He can play FS or SS (or CB). His versatility allows DCs to get creative (which can confuse QBs).

On one play, he is in the box (while Davis drops back as the FS). On second down, he covers a receiver. On third down, he plays centerfield. And... since Davis is equally as versatile (although restricted, IMO, due to Mitchell not being versitile), you’d have a scary good pair of safeties.

I watched just one Stanford game this year and I seen Reid make a nice interception. Wish there was some YouTube breakdowns I could watch so I can see him more of him(May have to wait for Steelers Depot to do it for me lol). His versatility that you mentioned is one thing I hear a lot about him. Which is what you want in a safety for this defense.

I'm also interested in Deshone Elliott from Texas. 9 career interceptions in college, 6 were in 2017, two of them went for TD's. Created 3 forced fumbles in 2017. Flat out ball hawk. I'll be paying attention in how he'll run at the combine.

- - - Updated - - -

Mitchell has to go for the cap savings alone - someone will be signed for ILB or safety in free agency - will not expect to fill both through draft

FYI are two links to the cap situation - in hindsight Steelers put all their chips on winning in 2017

Do you think the Steelers are sitting pretty regarding their salary cap situation? Well, think again.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2018/1/17/16891524/the-2018-pittsburgh-steelers-salary-cap-situation-kevin-colbert-mike-tomlin-nfl

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

"in hindsight Steelers put all their chips on winning in 2017"

That is just hurts to hear.

Looks like the FO has a lot of work ahead of them.

Born2Steel
01-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Adding another longshot to drop to the Steelers. Harold Landry, Edge, BC. More of a pass rusher than Bud, but maybe not as skilled in space. In the to keep an eye on file.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/12/2/16727010/nfl-draft-prospect-to-know-harold-landry-de-boston-college-dallas-cowboys-demarcus-lawrence

Hercules Mata'afa. This article even suggests he's another TJ Watt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/75imkv/prospect_eval_hercules_mataafa/

Sorry if this article is a repost. Good info on LBers with highlights and discussion.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/01/2018-nfl-draft-early-glance-series-linebacker/

teegre
01-24-2018, 09:12 PM
In case it gets lost, I’ll reiterate:

I’m all for drafting Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond in R3.

I know now that we have other needs, but he’s my “low cost/high reward/possible franchise QB” of this draft.

hawaiiansteeler
01-24-2018, 11:33 PM
so which long snapper do we draft this year? :stirthepot:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2018, 11:28 AM
so which long snapper do we draft this year? :stirthepot:

Keep an eye on Ike Powell from Auburn at the Senior Bowl this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huNr1lexsAY

teegre
01-27-2018, 08:15 AM
With BB coming back, unless one of the top-tier QBs drops to 30, I could see them waiting until a later round to draft a QB. I was on the TE train until today (sorry, Shoes); the middle of the defense HAS to be the priority. Plus, BB seems to like McDonald.

As of 1/14/18...

R1: Justin Reid, FS, Stanford
R2: Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise St.

or

R1: Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
R2: Jordan Whitehead, S, Pitt

There are a TON of really good safeties that should go in R2. So, I’m thinking...

R1: ILB
Jefferson, Vander Esch, Evans
(whichever one is available)

R2: FS
Trayvon Henderson, Hawaii
Terrell Edmunds, VaTech
Kyzir White, WVU
Jordan Whitehead, Pitt
(There are like five other possible FS picks. We should see a dozen safeties go in the second round/early third round.)

R3: QB
Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
(he has been tearing up the Senior Bowl)

Moose
01-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Do you think that if the Steelers drafted a great prospect at the ILB position, that he would suddenly forget things he learned playing 8+ years of football, like how to tackle, because of the defensive coaches? :doh:

Well, it kinda looks like that ! Have you watched ALL the missed tackles ? Where they 'launch' instead of ARM and WRAP up the player. For some reason they forget from college ( arm tackle, wrap up the runner and drag to ground ) to professional. You HAVE TO ADMIT that the tackling is pathetic. Either the player is getting lazy, or the coaches aren't getting in their ass on the correct way to TACKLE.......NOT LAUNCHING.

BlackAndGold
03-15-2018, 08:44 PM

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin

Mojouw
03-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Well, it kinda looks like that ! Have you watched ALL the missed tackles ? Where they 'launch' instead of ARM and WRAP up the player. For some reason they forget from college ( arm tackle, wrap up the runner and drag to ground ) to professional. You HAVE TO ADMIT that the tackling is pathetic. Either the player is getting lazy, or the coaches aren't getting in their ass on the correct way to TACKLE.......NOT LAUNCHING.

It is a pretty simple answer. It is happening around the NFL. Teams are limited to a far shorter off-season program than they used to be. Said shortened off-season program also features less padded practices and extended sessions than in the past. Then during the season teams are only allowed to have 13 padded practices.

Can't get better at fundamentals, retain existing skills, and sharpen new skills if you never get to put on the pads and practice them. From college to the NFL, the majority of practice time is spent on gameplan installation and playbook stuff. There is simply no time outside of limited portions of OTAs and training camp where guys work on the basics.

Shoes
03-16-2018, 01:29 PM

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin

I like how he plays!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6GJvVDWIIo

BlackAndGold
03-16-2018, 01:40 PM
I like how he plays!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6GJvVDWIIo

He had a impressive college career.

This is the 2nd time the Steelers have talked to Rudolph. Would it shock me if he's the pick at #28? maybe, but if he's there in the 2nd? nope.

Ben is 35 years old, the same age Bradshaw was when the Steelers passed on Marino in 83', and it came back and haunted them. I'm sure that is in the minds of Mr. Rooney and the rest of the front office.

Shoes
03-16-2018, 01:45 PM

This is the 2nd time the Steelers have talked to Rudolph. Would it shock me if he's the pick at #28? maybe, but if he's there in the 2nd? nope.

Ben is 35 years old, the same age Bradshaw was when the Steelers passed on Marino in 83', and it came back and haunted them. I'm sure that is in the minds of Mr. Rooney and the rest of the front office.

His NFL profile has him going in R2 or R3, but I agree I doubt he'll be there.

hawaiiansteeler
03-16-2018, 01:58 PM

no chance at Rudolph at 2(60), if we want him we would need to take him at 1(28) if he's still available then.

BlackAndGold
03-16-2018, 02:21 PM
no chance at Rudolph at 2(60), if we want him we would need to take him at 1(28) if he's still available then.

I agree, would need for a trade up if they wanted him.

But if they like him that much he'll go at #28.

steelreserve
03-16-2018, 03:37 PM

If you can get a potential franchise QB that you like, you do it and sort out the rest later. It won't kill us to have a second-round guy as our future linebacker instead of a first-rounder, or to have to find a few extra million in cap space for a quality safety. Not quite the same for QB.

The QB craze being what it is, though, if we are thinking a guy with a second-round rating will be there at 28, what will probably happen is that he goes in the top 15 along with five other QBs.

Born2Steel
03-16-2018, 04:31 PM
If you're looking at the QB prospects, just gonna drop this right here for you.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/27052-2017-College-Football-QB-Watchlist

st33lersguy
03-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Rudolph is a reach at #28. 60 makes more sense, though I wouldn't take him at all and think he is just yet another by-product of the pass happy, no defense Big 12. If they bypass a top 5 s or lb in the draft for Rudolph, it would be a bad decision

steelreserve
03-16-2018, 05:00 PM
I honestly have no idea whether Rudolph is any good, or which of the other top prospects we'd want, having been embarrassingly out of the college football loop this season. Just that if we find someone who the coaches and scouts think is "the" guy, it's pretty rare for us to actually be in a position to be able to get one. Whether that's him or someone else.

Really if any of the top QBs are ready for the NFL or even look like they might be, I'd expect them to be gone in the top 15 no matter what. If it's four QBs, they'll take four in the top 15. If it's six QBs, they'll take six in the top 15. If only three or four teams in the top 15 are looking for QBs, someone will trade up. That's just the way it's gotten.

Craic
03-16-2018, 05:04 PM
If you can get a potential franchise QB that you like, you do it and sort out the rest later. It won't kill us to have a second-round guy as our future linebacker instead of a first-rounder, or to have to find a few extra million in cap space for a quality safety. Not quite the same for QB.

The QB craze being what it is, though, if we are thinking a guy with a second-round rating will be there at 28, what will probably happen is that he goes in the top 15 along with five other QBs.

I don't know about the player in particular, but your logic here is exactly right. Plus, it's better to pick a guy that you can evaluate for a year or two before having to depend on him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Really if any of the top QBs are ready for the NFL or even look like they might be, I'd expect them to be gone in the top 15 no matter what. If it's four QBs, they'll take four in the top 15. If it's six QBs, they'll take six in the top 15. If only three or four teams in the top 15 are looking for QBs, someone will trade up. That's just the way it's gotten.

once Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Mayfield come off the board other QB needy teams may be looking to trade up for Lamar Jackson or Rudolph. maybe the Steelers could trade down and pick up an extra 3rd round pick from one of those teams if they're not in love with any player still available at 1(28)

Dwinsgames
03-16-2018, 10:54 PM
once Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Mayfield come off the board other QB needy teams may be looking to trade up for Lamar Jackson or Rudolph. maybe the Steelers could trade down and pick up an extra 3rd round pick from one of those teams if they're not in love with any player still available at 1(28)

this could all be a smoke screen and preparation ( as they called it last year in brushing up on their QB scouting ) and in the meantime hoping for a scenario as suggested above ....

I mean we are going into this draft a little short handed in terms of middle round selections if we can bait a team into giving us one back why not ?

03-17-2018, 06:03 PM
If the Steelers don't draft a qb in the first then I wouldn't draft one at all. We don't need another late rd project and already have that in Dobbs.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Rudolph is a reach at #28. 60 makes more sense, though I wouldn't take him at all and think he is just yet another by-product of the pass happy, no defense Big 12. If they bypass a top 5 s or lb in the draft for Rudolph, it would be a bad decision

I genuinely wonder about the logic of this kind of QB rhetoric. If a QB isnt good enough to warrant a 1st round pick, but good enough for a 2nd round pick, how far are you expecting him to take your team?

To me that means he's either:

1) Not warranting any consideration to be drafted by your team

2) A back up

And if he's being picked so early, there are obvious expectations that he should probably be taking your team all the way. I see Rudolph no differently. Draft him at #1 if he looks like he has a strong chance to be an heir. Dont draft him at all if it doesnt (or if something crazy happens that gets him to drop to the middle rounds)

Who are these QB's throughout NFL history that have been good 2nd round picks, but definitely wouldnt have been a good 1st round pick?

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2018, 08:30 PM
I genuinely wonder about the logic of this kind of QB rhetoric. If a QB isnt good enough to warrant a 1st round pick, but good enough for a 2nd round pick, how far are you expecting him to take your team?

Who are these QB's throughout NFL history that have been good 2nd round picks, but definitely wouldnt have been a good 1st round pick?

great point $$$$

Shoes
03-17-2018, 09:13 PM
I've been anti-QB the last few years in the draft, but really like Rudolph. This kid seems to have all the tools and if he were available at 28 I'd take him.

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2018, 09:54 PM
I've been anti-QB the last few years in the draft, but really like Rudolph. This kid seems to have all the tools and if he were available at 28 I'd take him.

what about the window is closing with Ben and we need to win now philosophy?

Shoes
03-17-2018, 10:03 PM
what about the window is closing with Ben and we need to win now philosophy?

With Rudolph as Ben's backup the window stays open imo.

86WARD
03-17-2018, 10:17 PM
But with the lack of depth and starters, that window pretty much closes on Ben...

hawaiiansteeler
03-17-2018, 10:20 PM
With Rudolph as Ben's backup the window stays open imo.

especially if we are somehow able to address the safety and ILB positions in free agency...

Mojouw
03-17-2018, 10:52 PM
Heard Mike Lombardi make an interesting point about teams and QBs during the draft process. He was arguing that many teams scout the QBs hard but with no intention of drafting one. What they are doing is testing and refining their scouting and projection process. That way when they do feel it is time to draft a high round QB they are certain of their evaluation methods and will have more confidence in their evaluations.

No idea if this is true overall or has any relevance to the Steelers this or any other year. But it could explain their recent googlly eyes at QBs.

BlackAndGold
03-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Heard Mike Lombardi make an interesting point about teams and QBs during the draft process. He was arguing that many teams scout the QBs hard but with no intention of drafting one. What they are doing is testing and refining their scouting and projection process. That way when they do feel it is time to draft a high round QB they are certain of their evaluation methods and will have more confidence in their evaluations.

No idea if this is true overall or has any relevance to the Steelers this or any other year. But it could explain their recent googlly eyes at QBs.

That could easily be the case here, they scouted a few QB's last year also but I don't remember them talking to one like they are with Rudolph.

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2018, 02:44 PM
this could all be a smoke screen and preparation ( as they called it last year in brushing up on their QB scouting ) and in the meantime hoping for a scenario as suggested above ....

I mean we are going into this draft a little short handed in terms of middle round selections if we can bait a team into giving us one back why not ?

Steelers arent one of those teams. Were pretty intentional about who visits us and who we talk to/have dinner with.

We burned a 4th on Josh Dobbs to brush up on scouting?

Born2Steel
03-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Potential for Josh Dobbs > Potential for Landry Jones moving forward. From that perspective only does that draft pick make sense. Potential for Mason Rudolph > Potential for Josh Dobbs. Again that draft pick makes sense. The arguing point here is 1st or 2nd round value. I would "waste " a 1st round pick on Rudolph because he definitely has NFL starter potential. That alone makes him worthy, IMO. Have to plan for long term success, and the right QB is crucial to that. ILB and safety, while very important, can wait a round.

steelreserve
03-18-2018, 03:29 PM
I mean, maybe the explanation for the sudden interest is that we're playing spy games, but another explanation could be that we have a 36-year-old quarterback and there happen to be a ton of QB prospects in this draft.

A 4th-round pick on Dobbs made sense because even if there was only a 1% chance he'd ever be a starter, who the hell wouldn't want to do better than Landry Jones as a backup.

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2018, 08:09 PM
fire up the hype engines!!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/stanford-s-justin-reid-has-pre-draft-visit-scheduled-with-steelers/

BlackAndGold
03-18-2018, 09:19 PM
fire up the hype engines!!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/stanford-s-justin-reid-has-pre-draft-visit-scheduled-with-steelers/

Stanford's pro day is on the same day as Ohio States. It'll be interesting to see what the Steelers do.

Three of the last 1st round picks have gone out to dinner with Tomlin. Reason why I currently have Jessie Bates(JB and Reid are neck to neck) as my first round pick.

teegre
03-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Three of the last 1st round picks have gone out to dinner with Tomlin.

:nod: Meetings and dinners are how I construct my mock draft every year...

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

teegre
03-18-2018, 10:41 PM
My gut keeps telling me that Mason Rudolph ends up with the Steelers.

Yep

(12-30-2017)

03-18-2018, 10:54 PM
Yep

(12-30-2017) I really feel this is the year they go after their QB. Thing is, bet Rudolph gets picked in the early twenties

Mojouw
03-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Yep

(12-30-2017)

The ONLY thing that worries me about picking Rudolph is that I have read a few reports that talk extensively about how he doesn't play well from a muddled pocket and doesn't do much when the play breaks down.

One even makes comparisons to Palmer and Flacco.

That paints a picture of year in and year out debates about "elite" and going 10-6...I mean it isn't terrible but it isn't great either.

Colbert and Tomlin go Rudolph in the first this year and get it wrong, it is all of their jobs...

teegre
03-18-2018, 11:03 PM
The ONLY thing that worries me about picking Rudolph is that I have read a few reports that talk extensively about how he doesn't play well from a muddled pocket and doesn't do much when the play breaks down.

One even makes comparisons to Palmer and Flacco.

That paints a picture of year in and year out debates about "elite" and going 10-6...I mean it isn't terrible but it isn't great either.

Colbert and Tomlin go Rudolph in the first this year and get it wrong, it is all of their jobs...

It’s not even that I like/dislike want/don’t want Rudolph.

My gut just keeps telling me that he’s the pick...

Mojouw
03-18-2018, 11:27 PM

My gut just keeps telling me that he’s the pick...

I can see that. I really have no feelings one way or the other on the matter at this point. I may decide to develop one at some point...

I do think that Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph are the 2 most variable of the big name prospects this year. High ceilings but franchise humbling floors.

03-18-2018, 11:29 PM

My gut just keeps telling me that he’s the pick... I feel he is the pick but again he goes early twenties. Will be a qb run in the first 10 picks. Later another team will realize he is still around and take him.

teegre
03-19-2018, 06:14 AM
Darius Leonard, ILB, South Carolina St. already has TWELVE meetings set up between now and the draft.

Subtext:
If anyone thinks he’ll slip to our R3 pick, I’ll give you twelve reasons why he won’t be there.

Mojouw
03-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Darius Leonard, ILB, South Carolina St. already has TWELVE meetings set up between now and the draft.

Subtext:
If anyone thinks he’ll slip to our R3 pick, I’ll give you twelve reasons why he won’t be there.

He certainly won't go in the first round. I could see needing to take him in the second round.

I suspect that the internet will be awash with folks screaming "REACH" after every Steelers pick in the first 3 rounds. These folks will ignore all arguments of fit versus need. Some will also even ignore the actual evaluation of the player and just sputter on and on about how so and so was only ranked such and such on their big board.

Ahhhhh...it is going to be so much fun.

steelerdude15
03-19-2018, 12:45 PM
He certainly won't go in the first round. I could see needing to take him in the second round.

I suspect that the internet will be awash with folks screaming "REACH" after every Steelers pick in the first 3 rounds. These folks will ignore all arguments of fit versus need. Some will also even ignore the actual evaluation of the player and just sputter on and on about how so and so was only ranked such and such on their big board.

Its like that every year. :chuckle:

steelreserve
03-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Its like that every year. :chuckle:

So far I haven't heard anyone saying "Deep draft! Deep draft! This is the deepest draft in years!" like they do literally every offseason.

Is this really a regular year, or are those people just asleep at the switch with their yelling?

teegre
03-19-2018, 02:03 PM

The best was when the Steelers drafted Le’Veon Bell (instead of Eddie Lacy).

03-19-2018, 02:41 PM
The best was when the Steelers drafted Le’Veon Bell (instead of Eddie Lacy). I remember Hodge didn't like the pick. Think he wanted Lacy!

hawaiiansteeler
03-19-2018, 10:31 PM

do you remember all the board "experts" either saying we should have taken Lacy and the others saying we reached and should have taken Bell in Round 3 instead? :jerkit:

teegre
03-20-2018, 05:43 AM
do you remember all the board "experts" either saying we should have taken Lacy and the others saying we reached and should have taken Bell in Round 3 instead? :jerkit:

:nod: The preseason was a nightmare, because Bell was hurt/didn’t play well... and Lacy was looking good.

pczach
03-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Some of the garbage people were saying about the organization and Bell is burned into my memory. Some of those Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are as good or better than Bell discussions were the stuff of legend.

:willy:

teegre
03-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Some of the garbage people were saying about the organization and Bell is burned into my memory. Some of those Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are as good or better than Bell discussions were the stuff of legend.

:willy:

I will always remember two quotes:

Suddeness and glide

I’m a professional model, fam.

pczach
03-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Suddeness and glide

You better be careful the way you're running your mouth. You keep that up and someone will give you a vacation from walking.....

:sofunny:

hawaiiansteeler
03-20-2018, 06:25 PM
You better be careful the way you're running your mouth. You keep that up and someone will give you a vacation from walking.....

:rofl2:

teegre
03-20-2018, 09:42 PM

:applaudit:

All of these years later, and Scrotis still hasn’t fulfilled that promise to me.

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Suddeness and glide

jokes aside, I think the suddeness and glide thing becoming a meme has really left Redman forgotten in Pittsburgh. He was one of the best short yardage AND pass blocking backs in the entire NFL for a couple years until his stinger his final season made him suck and retire. And that was back when the Oline sucked. He'd be more automatic than an extra point behind our current Oline on 3rd and 1