PDA

View Full Version : Fire Everyone.

faninyork
01-14-2018, 02:54 PM
Now.

st33lersguy
01-14-2018, 02:58 PM
It's time for Lloyd Christmas Haley and Harry Dunne Butler to get fired. Step into my office you two, cause you're fuckin fired

DesertSteel
01-14-2018, 02:58 PM
*yawn*

EzraTank
01-14-2018, 03:02 PM
I said this in the GDT ... the Eagles fired Andy Reid after doing what Tomlin does every year. Winning in the regular season then choking when it counts most. Tomlin's only Superbowl win was with all Cowher players, then got out coached against the Packers with Cowher's aging players in 2010.

It's time. Tomlin clearly cannot win with "his" team.

hawaiiansteeler
01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Tomlin's only Superbowl win was with all Cowher players, then got out coached against the Packers with Cowher's aging players in 2010.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7b/9c/92/7b9c92dbde2ef960169e95442feb7f11--bill-cowher-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

Steeldude
01-14-2018, 03:16 PM
It's time for Lloyd Christmas Haley and Harry Dunne Butler to get fired. Step into my office you two, cause you're fuckin fired

Why is Tomlin exempt?

EzraTank
01-14-2018, 03:19 PM
45 points to Blake Bortles (Well 38 minus the fumble return).

Let that sink in. When you score 35 at home you should always win.

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 03:20 PM
I said this in the GDT ... the Eagles fired Andy Reid after doing what Tomlin does every year. Winning in the regular season then choking when it counts most. Tomlin's only Superbowl win was with all Cowher players, then got out coached against the Packers with Cowher's aging players in 2010.

If I had a nickel for every time a Cowher team gacked in the postseason I'd be retired by now...

Neversatisfied
01-14-2018, 03:24 PM
If I had a nickel for every time a Cowher team gacked in the postseason I'd be retired by now...

Cowher had very poor players to work with Tomlin was given a well built team

EzraTank
01-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Yes but his players did win two Superbowls and almost a third in 2010. Tomlin's teams are regular season great.

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Cowher had very poor players to work with Tomlin was given a well built team

Huh? Noll handed Cowher a wealth of good players. And the QB situation was largely his own fault because he didn't value the QB position and thought he could win without one. Hell, if Rooney hadn't pulled rank on him in 2004, he would've passed on Roethlisberger for Shaun Andrews.

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Yes but his players did win two Superbowls and almost a third in 2010. Tomlin's teams are regular season great.

You mean like Harrison, who did nothing but rot on the bench under Cowher?

By the way, I'm not defending Tomlin. I'm saying a 60-year-old Cowher is not the solution to this team getting over the hump, that's all.

BlackAndGold
01-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Keith Butler has to go, honestly the whole defensive coaching staff needs to be replaced.

86WARD
01-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Butler, Haley and Smith should all get walking papers on Monday. If not, the off season will be a failure no matter what else happens. It doesn’t matter what personnel gets thrown out there in 2018...you could field a pro bowl roster and this coaching staff would ruin it. It’s proven year after year.

j-d-s
01-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Haley, Smith and Butler need to go. I would keep Tomlin but get him a lesson on how to preserve time (that final sequence was typical... after the Grounding, we need to kick the Field goal to at least have a chance to recover an onside kick and a couple of Hail mary shots to the endzone).

In particular, Haley's playcalling was even worse than usual. While I do agree on going for it on 4th Down and 1, we had to run it between the tackles with Bell there (or even QB sneak it, which is what the Cheats do). Especially the run with Bell wide was stupid after the Jags had stopped that every time before.

The defense is a dumpster fire, allowing 38 points to a team with Bortles at QB is simply unacceptable. With that kind of play we probably would have gotten 50 hanged up on us by the Cheats...

DesertSteel
01-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Nobody is getting fired. If Haley does it will solely be a power move by Ben. No heads are going to roll because of this loss. That's not how the Steelers organization operates. Everyone here knows that already.

BlackAndGold
01-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Nobody is getting fired. If Haley does it will solely be a power move by Ben. No heads are going to roll because of this loss. That's not how the Steelers organization operates. Everyone here knows that already.

It's time for them to make changes on defense, laughable if they don't. All these high draft choices and the defense gets beat by Blake fucking Bortles.

faninyork
01-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Why is Tomlin exempt?

- - - Updated - - -

If Ben stays, nothing changes. The only way a wholesale change is made is if Ben walks...

86WARD
01-14-2018, 03:40 PM

We know they don’t act irrational like most of us think. But if that coaching staff stays together, then the off-season is a failure...these losses fall on the coaching staff and something needs to change somewhere. It’s the same old story with this team.

Shoes
01-14-2018, 03:43 PM
I think the Steelers made a mistake by promising Butler the DC position before Lebeau left. They should have had full interviews from as many coaches as possible.

Steelerette
01-14-2018, 03:47 PM
If Ben stays, fire Haley, promote Fichtner. Our game preparation issues will be nothing compared to having Ben learning a new system. If Ben goes, they both need to go.

At this junction I don't have a problem with Butler. He goes to war with the army he has.

Danny Smith I'm undecided.

JayC
01-14-2018, 03:53 PM
If I'm Tomlin, i'm begging Ben to stay. If Ben leaves it will show what a fraud Tomlin really is. When we win, we win on pure skill. When we lose, it's on terrible coaching, preparation, X's and O's, lack of clock management, etc. Tomlin and his staff suck

hawaiiansteeler
01-14-2018, 04:33 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/15034891_354048021613176_801089895526301696_n.jpg? ig_cache_key=MTM4MzAxMjUwMTAwODA0ODE0OQ%3D%3D.2

tube517
01-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Someone start the Fire Fichtner thread before he's even hired.

Craic
01-14-2018, 04:43 PM
At this junction I don't have a problem with Butler. He goes to war with the army he has.

Two first round draft picks starting at CB.
Two second round draft picks starting at safety.
a first, a second, and a third round draft pick starting on the OL.
Two first round draft picks starting at LB (three with Shazier).

Sorry, but you cannot blame the defensive problems on the talent level. Moreover, we are seeing the exact same problems we saw with the previous generation of Steelers defense. They can't stop teams in the fourth quarter, and they shift to zone and cannot stop teams from abusing us in seem routes. That's pure scheme. And that ​is the coaching.

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Two first round draft picks starting at CB.
Two second round draft picks starting at safety.
a first, a second, and a third round draft pick starting on the OL.
Two first round draft picks starting at LB (three with Shazier).

Sorry, but you cannot blame the defensive problems on the talent level. Moreover, we are seeing the exact same problems we saw with the previous generation of Steelers defense. They can't stop teams in the fourth quarter, and they shift to zone and cannot stop teams from abusing us in seem routes. That's pure scheme. And that ​is the coaching.

That's been happening to LeBeau defenses all the way back to Super Bowl XXIII. Montana owes a debt of gratitude to LeBeau for helping to cement his legacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5mLe8n9QI

Only difference is now any scrub QB that can make an NFL roster can beat it too.

Craic
01-14-2018, 04:48 PM
That's been happening to LeBeau defenses all the way back to Super Bowl XXIII. Montana owes a debt of gratitude to LeBeau for helping to cement his legacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5mLe8n9QI

Only difference is now any scrub QB that can make an NFL roster can beat it too.

Yep. And it's been a discussion we've had (and agreed on) for well-nigh 10 years now. (Can you believe it? We're getting old).

Mojouw
01-14-2018, 04:53 PM
One of the armchair coordinators needs to explain to me what “scheme” things they would fix. Like with specifics and examples. I am no real fan of Butler’s and would have no strong feelings if he stays or if he goes.

The defense was precisely designed to funnel all playmaking through Ryan Shazier. Just like it used to be with Troy Polamalu. When you design a defense to highlight one player and you lose that player - you’re screwed plain and simple. Just like when Tom Moore used to say there was no point in practicing with the second string QB because without Peyton Manning there was no PLan B.

Sean Spence, Sean Davis, and Mitchell are just not playmakers in the middle of the field. They are complementary players at best. Guys you hope simply do their job so someone else can make plays. I have asked for 2 seasons now, who are the playmakers on this defense? There are many candidates but there was one - Ryan Shazier. Without him, no one was able to step up and wear the Superman cape.

Scheme does not get Sean Spence off blocks. He can’t shed blocks. No one in black and gold was able to beat their man and get pressure on Bortles today. Multiple times the man assigned to seal the edge lost contain and got blown off their spot. Scheme or execution? I have no idea, but I do know that I saw the Steelers lose the battle at the line of scrimmage more often than not today. Not sure what complex schematic issues there are in an ass whupping.

Again, not really waving the flag for Butler, but who are you going to bring in? Pettine just got hired. Capers is worse. Anyone know of any really up and coming 3-4 guys?

Craic
01-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Snip

Here's what I'd like to see.

A shift more to man defense.
Find a way to better disguise man v. zone when playing zone.
Free up a LB rather than a safety to cover the TE when playing teams with big TEs.
Scheming to fix QBs exposing seams in the zone game after game after game.
Using a spy at least once in a while if we continue to play zone against QBs who are mobile.
Find a way to cover the RB when he comes out as a receiver.
Get a true NT or convert to four down lineman.
Stop relying on great talent to win games and start scheming to win games with average talent. That way, great talent can take the game over if possible, but it is not necessary (this especially helps when your talent has a season-ending injury).

That's off the top of my head.

86WARD
01-14-2018, 06:34 PM
The zone defense they use consistently gives up yardage in critical situations. If a team is running their scheme and they don’t have he players that can perform, they need to come up with a way to help those players. You can’t insert LJ Fort and expect him to pick up where Shazier left off. That was clear today. Fort p, mentally, played an excellent game, he just didn’t have the speed or the talent to get it done. You could see him attempting to do it, he just doesn’t have the skills to do it. At that point, you have to change something in your defense to either help that player or hide that weakness. What exactly is it? Who knows, but you can’t keep throwing the same shit out there and expect it to work in the 4th quarter when it wasn’t working in the first quarter.

Mojouw
01-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Here's what I'd like to see.

A shift more to man defense.
Find a way to better disguise man v. zone when playing zone.
Free up a LB rather than a safety to cover the TE when playing teams with big TEs.
Scheming to fix QBs exposing seams in the zone game after game after game.
Using a spy at least once in a while if we continue to play zone against QBs who are mobile.
Find a way to cover the RB when he comes out as a receiver.
Get a true NT or convert to four down lineman.
Stop relying on great talent to win games and start scheming to win games with average talent. That way, great talent can take the game over if possible, but it is not necessary (this especially helps when your talent has a season-ending injury).

That's off the top of my head.

Almost all of that gets fixed when you don't have below league average players at ILB.

Like 80% of that list is because VW, Spence, Fort, and whoever else is just not able to play in space in the NFL.

How many times did this board talk about ILB depth and play in the past 10 months? They gambled that they could get through thin at the position. Due to a horrific injury, they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and then beyond.

For weeks now teams have isolated Spence and exposed his lack of NFL caliber ability in both the run and the pass.

Craic
01-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Almost all of that gets fixed when you don't have below league average players at ILB.

Like 80% of that list is because VW, Spence, Fort, and whoever else is just not able to play in space in the NFL.

How many times did this board talk about ILB depth and play in the past 10 months? They gambled that they could get through thin at the position. Due to a horrific injury, they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and then beyond.

For weeks now teams have isolated Spence and exposed his lack of NFL caliber ability in both the run and the pass.

Except, these have been problems throughout Butler's tenure, and several of them were problems in Lebeau's tenure as well when we had superb ILBs. So no, I don't agree that just getting a better ILB fixes this. Not only due we need a better ILB, but we also need a better scheme to put him in the places he needs to be to make plays, as well as the other linebackers and OL and safeties and CBs.

plenewken
01-15-2018, 08:25 AM

You can add Porter and Lake to the list.

st33lersguy
01-15-2018, 08:27 AM
You can add Porter and Lake to the list.

The entire defensive staff save for john Mitchell can get fired

Hawkman
01-15-2018, 09:54 AM
45 points to Blake Bortles (Well 38 minus the fumble return).

Let that sink in. When you score 35 at home you should always win.

.........and that’s Tomlin’s fault?

- - - Updated - - -

Except, these have been problems throughout Butler's tenure, and several of them were problems in Lebeau's tenure as well when we had superb ILBs. So no, I don't agree that just getting a better ILB fixes this. Not only due we need a better ILB, but we also need a better scheme to put him in the places he needs to be to make plays, as well as the other linebackers and OL and safeties and CBs.

WHO?

Moose
01-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Agree 100% It's long overdue, and it's time for Rooney to step up like his old man would and shake up some useless crap ! Defense is laughing stock anymo

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Because of the amazing showing by the DL in their biggest test of the year? The front 3 had exactly 5 tackles. 5 in 61 Jaguars offensive snaps with 30 being runs by the back and 5 being runs by the QB. The DL also generated no sacks, hits, hurries, or negative plays. Not once was a Jags RB touched behind the line of scrimmage.

Why in the hell would the DL position coach get a pass on that performance? That being said I like Mitchell and think that he does a hell of job with the DL group.

But your leading run stoppers yesterday were Joe Haden, Sean Davis, Mike Mitchell, and Vince Williams. And everyone wonders why the Jags ran rampant? The DL and ILB got their asses kicked. And it was left to the DBs to clean up the mess.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Tuitt seems to have vanished in the last few games.

zulater
01-15-2018, 10:29 AM
The entire defensive coaching staff, including John Mitchell ( who figures to retire) needs to be gotten rid of. A new direction is needed. One thing I will say though is that Colbert and Tomlin failed Butler in as much as you knew going into the season that your ILB depth was paper thin with Timmons flying the coop. Shazier has had a history of missing games ( though nothing like what happened was foreseeable) How can you not either sign a competent veteran free agent or use a premium choice on this position? But as we know neither was done and we're left to grab Sean Spence off the scrap heap. Not a good back up plan at all!

Haley needs gone too.

ShoeHorn
01-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Tuitt seems to have vanished in the last few games.

I have a sneaking suspicion he has been playing dinged up all year, much more so than we were ever told

Shoes
01-15-2018, 10:50 AM
The entire defensive coaching staff, including John Mitchell ( who figures to retire) needs to be gotten rid of. A new direction is needed. One thing I will say though is that Colbert and Tomlin failed Butler in as much as you knew going into the season that your ILB depth was paper thin with Timmons flying the coop. Shazier has had a history of missing games ( though nothing like what happened was foreseeable) How can you not either sign a competent veteran free agent or use a premium choice on this position? But as we know neither was done and we're left to grab Sean Spence off the scrap heap. Not a good back up plan at all!

Haley needs gone too.

That has been a head scratcher to me also. It seems to be the mentality of the D coaching staff. They have done the same thing with play calling over the years.

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 10:57 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion he has been playing dinged up all year, much more so than we were ever told

The elbow injury in practice last week presumably did not help (it also appeared Hargrave played less than usual yesterday, presumably due to his back issues)

Although the biceps tear in week one was not season ending any word on whether Tuitt will now get off season surgery?

tube517
01-15-2018, 11:03 AM
The elbow injury in practice last week presumably did not help (it also appeared Hargrave played less than usual yesterday, presumably due to his back issues)

Although the biceps tear in week one was not season ending any word on whether Tuitt will now get off season surgery?

I didn't see Hargrave past the 1st quarter. I saw Alaalu and LT Walton come in one series and that was the last I saw Hargrave

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Haley needs gone too.

That has been a head scratcher to me also. It seems to be the mentality of the D coaching staff. They have done the same thing with play calling over the years.

I am not sure what they could have done about the ILB depth issues. They made their big play to "Solve" the problem when they went hard after Hightower. I mean that was a big-time move to address the issue.

For me the biggest source of frustration with this coaching staff is the seeming (and again I am wading out into waters that I do not know a thing about) refusal to attempt "outside the box" solutions to recurring problems. I know that Wilcox got in the doghouse over the course of the season and he never really worked out so to speak. But since Ryan Shazier went down, teams have simply been isolating on the Steelers less than mobile ILB and just going at them. We saw the team fail to remedy this using VW, Spence, Moats, Fort, and even Chickillo a bit. So WHY IN THE HELL DONT YOU TRY WILCOX THERE?

Sure he is really light of a LB, but his strengths as a DB are running downhill and hitting things. So at least try him out in some select packages. Like could he really be that much worse? They just seem to "slot" guys into roles and then "next man up" no matter what the results end up being. At some point you have to try the crazy and maybe dumb idea...

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
One of the armchair coordinators needs to explain to me what “scheme” things they would fix. Like with specifics and examples. I am no real fan of Butler’s and would have no strong feelings if he stays or if he goes.

The defense was precisely designed to funnel all playmaking through Ryan Shazier. Just like it used to be with Troy Polamalu. When you design a defense to highlight one player and you lose that player - you’re screwed plain and simple. Just like when Tom Moore used to say there was no point in practicing with the second string QB because without Peyton Manning there was no PLan B.

Sean Spence, Sean Davis, and Mitchell are just not playmakers in the middle of the field. They are complementary players at best. Guys you hope simply do their job so someone else can make plays. I have asked for 2 seasons now, who are the playmakers on this defense? There are many candidates but there was one - Ryan Shazier. Without him, no one was able to step up and wear the Superman cape.

Scheme does not get Sean Spence off blocks. He can’t shed blocks. No one in black and gold was able to beat their man and get pressure on Bortles today. Multiple times the man assigned to seal the edge lost contain and got blown off their spot. Scheme or execution? I have no idea, but I do know that I saw the Steelers lose the battle at the line of scrimmage more often than not today. Not sure what complex schematic issues there are in an ass whupping.

Again, not really waving the flag for Butler, but who are you going to bring in? Pettine just got hired. Capers is worse. Anyone know of any really up and coming 3-4 guys?I for one can't figure out why there was no plan b beyond picking Spence out of the garbage can. Wtf really that's the best you can do?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=Shoes;632086]

I am not sure what they could have done about the ILB depth issues. They made their big play to "Solve" the problem when they went hard after Hightower. I mean that was a big-time move to address the issue.

For me the biggest source of frustration with this coaching staff is the seeming (and again I am wading out into waters that I do not know a thing about) refusal to attempt "outside the box" solutions to recurring problems. I know that Wilcox got in the doghouse over the course of the season and he never really worked out so to speak. But since Ryan Shazier went down, teams have simply been isolating on the Steelers less than mobile ILB and just going at them. We saw the team fail to remedy this using VW, Spence, Moats, Fort, and even Chickillo a bit. So WHY IN THE HELL DONT YOU TRY WILCOX THERE?

Sure he is really light of a LB, but his strengths as a DB are running downhill and hitting things. So at least try him out in some select packages. Like could he really be that much worse? They just seem to "slot" guys into roles and then "next man up" no matter what the results end up being. At some point you have to try the crazy and maybe dumb idea...Sadly enough creativity of this coaching staff is at a Cowhereusq high

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Steelerette
01-20-2018, 06:48 PM
It's convenient to point to Shazier's injury, but maybe, just maybe, predicating your entire defense around a freak athlete's irreplaceable abilities is kind of a bad idea.

lipps83
01-20-2018, 07:53 PM
It's convenient to point to Shazier's injury, but maybe, just maybe, predicating your entire defense around a freak athlete's irreplaceable abilities is kind of a bad idea.

Exactly, if your defense is dependent on one person to be successful, it isn't a very good defense. For example see Lebeau/Polamalu when Troy just didn't have it anymore.

And hey, who did Butler learn from? Who was that guy again....the name escapes me.

Mojouw
01-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Yeah. I hate acquiring generational HOF talents and then unleashing them. Hella dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
01-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Keeping the defensive coaching staff is a mistake. Art needs to step in and change shit, otherwise which value over 30 will represent the number of points the Steelers defense surrenders in their playoff loss in 2018?

- - - Updated - - -

Particularly one as injury prone as Shazier.

Fact of the matter is a team needs depth to win a Super Bowl, it can't rely on high-end to bail the entire team out every week. Injuries happen, and you need depth to be able to keep it going when a star gets injured

BnG_Hevn
01-21-2018, 08:21 AM

Again, not really waving the flag for Butler, but who are you going to bring in? Pettine just got hired. Capers is worse. Anyone know of any really up and coming 3-4 guys?

So from that, you agree with funneling through one player, if that is the case? If one player going down turns a SB caliber team into a team that gets wonked by Bortles led Jaguars, something is wrong.

Born2Steel
01-21-2018, 09:24 AM
On the 'Wilcox' front, I have to think his issue is that he's another helmet first hitter. He actually knocked himself out cold week1 vs the Browns. He came back and played so I guess he got over that, but maybe never changed his technique? Just a guess, and since we lost shaz to the same tackling style, I can see why they held him back. Now, had they held Shaz back would it have changed anything? Maybe, maybe not, so let's not even open that debate.

At ILB, there were more than a few on here that were begging for some help at ILB before the season started. They did bring in Hightower and made an offer, and I think they may have talked with Zach Brown's agent, but there was a serious effort to do that in any case. We already know that will be a priority position this offseason. Just have to wait a little longer for it.

As for our safety play, inconsistent at best, and terrible for the most part. I would absolutely LOVE to see 2 new ILBs and 2 new Safeties on this defense come TC time. Of course that would mean everything else remains as is and status quo. Mitchell and Davis do not play well together. They don't even look like they play on the same team most of the time. I honestly have no idea who is to blame for the confusion back there. I'm almost tempted to offer Sutton as a Joker style CB/Safety/ILB just so he can call the defensive plays and alignments. It is that bad that I would hand it to a rookie, at least Sutton has been successful in that role in college.

The Dline played GREAT all season. I cannot put a finger on any one thing that happened against the Jags, but they got handled. Simply put, once our Dline was shut down, the rest was easy for the Jags offense. Did they run out of gas? Were there just too many injuries to overcome? Were the Jags Olinemen just that much better that day? Maybe a little of each? All I do know is this is still the strength of this defense. This Dline needs to stay together and continue to improve together. I am extremely proud of this group this season. Well done.

What exactly is the role of the Steeler OLB nowadays? Can anyone put a definition on the role of that position? No wonder it takes so long to know if a player can play there or not. Serious question, do we have a true pass rusher on this team at the OLB position? We have been a defense that eats up blocks with our Dline to make one on one matchups with LBs, so they can get to the QB and at least move him off his spot. I'm not saying the role doesn't change over the years, but don't we still need to have someone with that capability on this roster? I honestly do not know if we need to get better at this position or not, because I simply cannot define it anymore.

The CB group I save for last. I am pleased by this group this season. Burns is still learning, but improving, and that's what is important. Sutton has more potential than Burns, IMO. Hilton has been the icing on the cake for this group, and Haden/Gay are the vets that can really mesh this unit together. The move from playing a zone/tackle the catch scheme, to a man-zone hybrid scheme, seems to be working. We give up more 'big plays', as man defense does, but it allows for skilled CBs to better use their individual talents, which should create more passes defensed and turnovers. And I think it will in time. There's that word again, "TIME". A little patience with this group and I believe they can be special in "TIME".

hawaiiansteeler
01-21-2018, 01:47 PM
On the 'Wilcox' front, I have to think his issue is that he's another helmet first hitter. He actually knocked himself out cold week1 vs the Browns. He came back and played so I guess he got over that, but maybe never changed his technique? Just a guess, and since we lost shaz to the same tackling style, I can see why they held him back. Now, had they held Shaz back would it have changed anything? Maybe, maybe not, so let's not even open that debate.

At ILB, there were more than a few on here that were begging for some help at ILB before the season started. They did bring in Hightower and made an offer, and I think they may have talked with Zach Brown's agent, but there was a serious effort to do that in any case. We already know that will be a priority position this offseason. Just have to wait a little longer for it.

As for our safety play, inconsistent at best, and terrible for the most part. I would absolutely LOVE to see 2 new ILBs and 2 new Safeties on this defense come TC time. Of course that would mean everything else remains as is and status quo. Mitchell and Davis do not play well together. They don't even look like they play on the same team most of the time. I honestly have no idea who is to blame for the confusion back there. I'm almost tempted to offer Sutton as a Joker style CB/Safety/ILB just so he can call the defensive plays and alignments. It is that bad that I would hand it to a rookie, at least Sutton has been successful in that role in college.

The Dline played GREAT all season. I cannot put a finger on any one thing that happened against the Jags, but they got handled. Simply put, once our Dline was shut down, the rest was easy for the Jags offense. Did they run out of gas? Were there just too many injuries to overcome? Were the Jags Olinemen just that much better that day? Maybe a little of each? All I do know is this is still the strength of this defense. This Dline needs to stay together and continue to improve together. I am extremely proud of this group this season. Well done.

What exactly is the role of the Steeler OLB nowadays? Can anyone put a definition on the role of that position? No wonder it takes so long to know if a player can play there or not. Serious question, do we have a true pass rusher on this team at the OLB position? We have been a defense that eats up blocks with our Dline to make one on one matchups with LBs, so they can get to the QB and at least move him off his spot. I'm not saying the role doesn't change over the years, but don't we still need to have someone with that capability on this roster? I honestly do not know if we need to get better at this position or not, because I simply cannot define it anymore.

The CB group I save for last. I am pleased by this group this season. Burns is still learning, but improving, and that's what is important. Sutton has more potential than Burns, IMO. Hilton has been the icing on the cake for this group, and Haden/Gay are the vets that can really mesh this unit together. The move from playing a zone/tackle the catch scheme, to a man-zone hybrid scheme, seems to be working. We give up more 'big plays', as man defense does, but it allows for skilled CBs to better use their individual talents, which should create more passes defensed and turnovers. And I think it will in time. There's that word again, "TIME". A little patience with this group and I believe they can be special in "TIME".

$$$$

Rotorhead
01-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Well, we could move Gay to S and pick up one of the many safeties in FA. I would love a solid FA ILB, but I don’t see that happening.

Mojouw
01-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Gay would be one of the smallest safeties in the league. Not sure if that is a real problem or not - but it may prevent the defensive staff from being really high priority on such a move.

Rotorhead
01-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Wrong thread