PDA

View Full Version : Haley out as OC

polamalubeast
01-14-2018, 06:54 AM
No one can argue that Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley has helped Ben Roethlisberger play his best football. Since Haley took over for Bruce Arians in 2012, Roethlisberger has improved his completion percentage (65.2), yards per game (287.4) and passer rating (96.0).

Simply, he's better.

And yet, as the Steelers get set to play the Jaguars today in a Divisional Round playoff game, the relationship between Haley and Roethlisberger is in as bad a place as it's been in years. The communication has been an issue, one reason why quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner has come down from the booth to the sidelines to serve as a conduit.

It was Roethlisberger's idea, one coach Mike Tomlin agreed with.

All of which sets up a decision for the Steelers: Haley is a free agent after this season, a source said. While the Steelers have not sat down and considered staffing for 2018, surely they will when this season ends.

And how do they proceed: Do they bring Haley back, hoping the relationship improves because the product is so successful? Move on from Haley, with Fichtner as the offensive coordinator? Bring in someone new?

One option for Haley could be going with head coach candidate and offensive line coach Mike Munchak if he gets the Cardinals job.

Haley is expected to be on the sidelines today, even with a broken pelvis suffered after being attacked outside a bar on New Year's Eve. The decision facing the Steelers is not related to the incident, a source said.

Either way, Haley, Roethlisberger and the Steelers will play today. And depending on how they proceed in the offseason, it could be the last time they are together.

Ben Roethlisberger's Career by Offensive Coordinator:
Todd Haley: 55-30 (.647) W-L record, 65.2 completion percentage, 7.7 pass YPA, 284.7 pass YPG, 164-74 TD-INT, 96.0 passer rating
All others: 88-33 (.708) W-L record, 63.1 completion percentage, 8.0 pass YPA, 233.1 pass YPG, 165-100 TD-INT, 92.1 passer rating

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000906151/article/todd-haleys-future-as-pittsburgh-steelers-oc-at-crossroads

ALLD
01-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Trade Haley to Green Bay for Aaron Rogers.

steelcityboyz
01-14-2018, 07:47 AM
I never liked Haley and thought some of his play calling was of high school stature.. Personally I hope he leaves we can do better.

vasteeler
01-14-2018, 09:40 AM
The offense under Haley is better than any othe OC we have had in years... keep Haley

FrancoLambert
01-14-2018, 09:49 AM
When Ben issues his ultimatum..."he goes or I retire," Todd's gone. And it may have happened already.

Moose
01-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Haley isn't impressive on his play calling in my opinion.....it's like he's stuck on 1 page of the playbook. Never seems like there are NEW plays, or creative plays called. Maybe some one new would have new ideas. But sometimes you have to watch what you wish for.

Iron Steeler
01-14-2018, 10:00 AM
When Ben issues his ultimatum..."he goes or I retire," Todd's gone. And it may have happened already.
Thats probably the dialouge thats happening

lipps83
01-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Haley is a tool, and the least functional type. Basically a rock that is only good for smashing stuff here and there. You probably couldn't even skip him across a pond. He is what is keeping this offense 'good' instead of helping it to become 'great'. Actually, I wouldn't even say he is helping the offense be 'good', that is the skills of the players doing that despite his idiotic play calling.

Keep Munchak too. Damn I hope he doesn't go.

st33lersguy
01-14-2018, 10:21 AM
The offense is doing great due to high-end talent and despite his moronic playcalling

Hawkman
01-14-2018, 11:20 AM
I never liked Haley and thought some of his play calling was of high school stature.. Personally I hope he leaves we can do better.

WHO?

AtlantaDan
01-14-2018, 11:30 AM
The offense under Haley is better than any othe OC we have had in years... keep Haley

Haley served his function of breaking Ben of playing hero ball on every play and getting constantly clobbered under Ben's mutually indulgent relationship with Arians

Ben is at the stage of what remains of his career that he gets that on his own so Haley's most valuable contribution is no longer relevant

If Ben stays I bet Haley goes

If Ben retires I doubt Tomlin, Colbert & AJRII want to deal with a new OC and a new QB

I am much more concerned about Munchak leaving than whatever happens to Todd

Ben can overrule Haley but Munchak has made the O-line

Mojouw
01-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Be careful what you wish for.

Hawkman
01-14-2018, 11:41 AM
I think it’s a lot of horse shit that Rap-ass-Hat, throws out an article like that on our first playoff game. What a jerk. It certainly isn’t a distraction for the players, but for the fans........we shouldn’t be even discussing this. Time to focus on the game and hope Haley calls a great one. That’s the last I will contribute to this thread.

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Who's available right now that would be an upgrade from Haley? I wouldnt be sad to see him go. We've been better under Haley than Arians. Haley has made this offense good overall, but never anywhere near its potential. Id like to see him stay if there arent better options. The best receiver, best runningback, a top 5 QB, a top 5 Oline, and lots of other weapons year in and year out. Theres no reason this offense shouldnt be consistently fielding elite production.

3rd down. Red zone. PPG in general. It needs work.

tube517
01-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Maybe Fichtner has the same "Deal" that Butler got. Wait for an opening and it's yours.

Like was said above, I hope Munchak stays.

86WARD
01-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Not looking like a crossroads at all...more like he’s on the exit ramp at the moment...

tube517
01-14-2018, 01:44 PM

86WARD
01-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Not looking like a crossroads at all...more like he’s on the exit ramp at the moment...

Hopefully Smith and Butler are in the car with Haley out of town.

Hawkman
01-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Hopefully Smith and Butler are in the car with Haley out of town.

Again......replace them with who......are you currently interviewing candidate? Let’s get rid of everyone and start over again.

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Again......replace them with who......are you currently interviewing candidate? Let’s get rid of everyone and start over again.

Ben calls the shots on who will replace Haley if he goes - with that talent the Steelers would have no trouble attracting outside candidates but I assume Randy Fitchner would get it

As for Butler and the defensive coaches the failure to develop first round picks Jones & Dupree does not reflect well on Porter (or those who made the picks) and the ongoing secondary problems should put Lake in jeopardy. Butler's defenses have been shredded in the playoffs the past two seasons by Brady (who has done it to everyone) and by Jax (which is inexcusable).

If Cowher was the HC heads would roll - he regularly whacked assistants. If changes are made now it will be because AJRII demands it, as he did with Arains after the 2011 season. My guess is Haley goes along with one or more defensive assistants below Butler.

If changes are made it should happen quickly rather than wait for the new HCs to assemble their staffs.

86WARD
01-15-2018, 09:25 AM

I’d start with Fitchner as OC as a candidate. There are plenty of candidates out there for ST and DC. Smith is about 3 years over due. Let’s not act like there aren’t other viable candidates out there in the world. I’ve been a Haley supporter over the years but the fact that they can’t convert a first down with this Team is ridiculous. How do you take a play that has converted 18 of 19 first downs with Ben and remove it from the playbook? That’s unheard of.

Blowing up the whole coaching staff is unheard of as well...and maybe not the answer but something needs to be done.

That’s great if you don’t want to change the coaching staff, but that’s been the consistent problem year after year and until they start doing something different within that coaching staff, nothing will change.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Maybe Fichtner has the same "Deal" that Butler got. Wait for an opening and it's yours.

Like was said above, I hope Munchak stays.

This is what concerns me about the Steelers, it was a bad idea with Butler and it will be a bad idea with grandma Fichtner. Now Fichtner may be the best choice but at least bring in some competition. You have players compete to get the best of the bunch, why not do the same for coaches?

tube517
01-15-2018, 10:21 AM
This is what concerns me about the Steelers, it was a bad idea with Butler and it will be a bad idea with grandma Fichtner. Now Fichtner may be the best choice but at least bring in some competition. You have players compete to get the best of the bunch, why not do the same for coaches?

Fichtner gets along w/Ben but Ben's time is limited. Munchak is the one we need to keep. I'm indifferent to Haley. He can stay or go as far as I know.

Defense is the focus and where changes need to be made.

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 11:20 AM
In his chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo says Haley probbaly is gone and does not rule out Butler going as well after yesterday's cluster

Haley isn't likely to return and I'm not sure about Butler either. ...

I'm not ruling out wholesale changes on both sides of the ball. When that game was over yesterday and I was in the locker room it felt like an ending to me. I know they have important players under contract on offense and they like some of their players on defense. I'm talking about the whole coaching operation. It felt like it ending and that changes were going to come.

Also some very harsh words for Tomlin

When he did that interview with Tony Dungy and looked ahead to the Patriots Part I and Part II. That gave his players the freedom to do the same. It was inexcusable for him to do that and a fireable offense in my opinion.... this season was a circus and Tomlin was the ring leader when he did that interview with Dungy. ..

It starts with Tomlin. He's had more and more influence with this defense in recent years after Dick LeBeau's departure. Where were his adjustments Sunday?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-1-15-18/stories/201801150092

I suppose we should have seen this coming - defense held on against Pats until the last two drives but the abysmal Ravens offense shredded the defense in the game after Shazier's injury.

Lady Steel
01-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Dan. I think the writing was on the wall for Haley's departure. We'll see what goes down regarding Butler.

I'm actually shocked at those harsh words coming out of Ray's mouth. Wow!

Craic
01-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Because the context is different. Fichtner is the only one I'd be okay with. Otherwise, Haley needs to stay. Why? Because of Ben. At this point, Ben is as much the OC as anyone else. I want someone who speaks his language and understands his system, and there is only two people available who can do that. Fichtner and Arians. Of those two, which one would you rather have?

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 12:06 PM
952619357535899649That is fucking awesome. A prime example of why he needs to go his ideas are old and still suck

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
01-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Offer Lane Kiffen the OC job.

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Again......replace them with who......are you currently interviewing candidate? Let’s get rid of everyone and start over again.This is a bullshit question. I don't do NFL interviews. It doesn't have to be someone the fans identify as a great hire. There are lots of perspective hires you never even heard of. You heard much about Tomlin before we hires him. Give it a break

Shoes
01-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Because the context is different. Fichtner is the only one I'd be okay with. Otherwise, Haley needs to stay. Why? Because of Ben. At this point, Ben is as much the OC as anyone else. I want someone who speaks his language and understands his system, and there is only two people available who can do that. Fichtner and Arians. Of those two, which one would you rather have?

I'm sure it will be Fitch if Haley gets the boot, Arians won't be back. But I'm not so sure Fitch would be the long term answer. I get nervous with these in house hires.

- - - Updated - - -

In his chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo says Haley probbaly is gone and does not rule out Butler going as well after yesterday's cluster

Haley isn't likely to return and I'm not sure about Butler either. ...

I'm not ruling out wholesale changes on both sides of the ball. When that game was over yesterday and I was in the locker room it felt like an ending to me. I know they have important players under contract on offense and they like some of their players on defense. I'm talking about the whole coaching operation. It felt like it ending and that changes were going to come.

Also some very harsh words for Tomlin

When he did that interview with Tony Dungy and looked ahead to the Patriots Part I and Part II. That gave his players the freedom to do the same. It was inexcusable for him to do that and a fireable offense in my opinion.... this season was a circus and Tomlin was the ring leader when he did that interview with Dungy. ..

It starts with Tomlin. He's had more and more influence with this defense in recent years after Dick LeBeau's departure. Where were his adjustments Sunday?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-1-15-18/stories/201801150092

I suppose we should have seen this coming - defense held on against Pats until the last two drives but the abysmal Ravens offense shredded the defense in the game after Shazier's injury.

Tomlin is beyond reproach just ask him. He'll brush right over it.

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Sorry, I refuse to buy the whole "distracted", "looking past", and "bulletin board material" stuff. I truly believe that is over-hyped media driven narrative because all the folks covering the NFL need something to talk about. What about all the times teams talked about this or that and then went out and backed it up? That happens too and would seem to destroy the easy story line that saying anything is a path to defeat due to the brittle mindsets of the average NFL player...I don't get it.

The Jaguars ran 61 offensive plays and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM WENT FOR NEGATIVE YARDS! That's the story. Their front won the battle at the line of scrimmage. Why everyone has to be on a constant search for more complicated and deeper answers at every turn is really beyond me. Start with the obvious - the Pittsburgh Steelers got dominated upfront. Move to the next obvious question? Why and How did that happen? Unfortunately for the instant answer media age we all live in, the real answers to the second question require some detailed analysis and discussion. In short, a complex answer. But that answer doesn't fit the 5 minute deadlines we all run on now. So what do we get? We get "distractions", "came out flat", "poor preparation" (with no details on what was poor - just, you know preparation and stuff), "looking past the opponent", etc.

All of that are answers in search of a question. Ever notice how all these reporters and talking heads that come out and instantly provide an "analysis" of why a team loses are never heard from again when the question shifts to "what should be done next"? That's because all they have is hot air and cliches -- not actual answers.

One just has to hope that the decision making apparatus of the Pittsburgh Steelers takes the time and gets into the details enough to come up with actionable solutions.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Sorry, I refuse to buy the whole "distracted", "looking past", and "bulletin board material" stuff. I truly believe that is over-hyped media driven narrative because all the folks covering the NFL need something to talk about. What about all the times teams talked about this or that and then went out and backed it up? That happens too and would seem to destroy the easy story line that saying anything is a path to defeat due to the brittle mindsets of the average NFL player...I don't get it.

The Jaguars ran 61 offensive plays and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM WENT FOR NEGATIVE YARDS! That's the story. Their front won the battle at the line of scrimmage. Why everyone has to be on a constant search for more complicated and deeper answers at every turn is really beyond me. Start with the obvious - the Pittsburgh Steelers got dominated upfront. Move to the next obvious question? Why and How did that happen? Unfortunately for the instant answer media age we all live in, the real answers to the second question require some detailed analysis and discussion. In short, a complex answer. But that answer doesn't fit the 5 minute deadlines we all run on now. So what do we get? We get "distractions", "came out flat", "poor preparation" (with no details on what was poor - just, you know preparation and stuff), "looking past the opponent", etc.

All of that are answers in search of a question. Ever notice how all these reporters and talking heads that come out and instantly provide an "analysis" of why a team loses are never heard from again when the question shifts to "what should be done next"? That's because all they have is hot air and cliches -- not actual answers.

One just has to hope that the decision making apparatus of the Pittsburgh Steelers takes the time and gets into the details enough to come up with actionable solutions.

You may not buy it but players in the locker room like Decastro and I'm sure others did.

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 01:25 PM
You may not buy it but players in the locker room like Decastro and I'm sure others did.

And Foster and several others have said the total opposite. Additionally, the whole narrative doesn't match-up to what happened on the field:

1. Bell was one of the most talkative on social media prior to game and he went out and backed up every damn word.
2. Mitchell while not playing the greatest game ever, didn't do much that contributed to the loss either. Remember that deep ball was on Burns and Haden...
3. Ramsey was the most talkative Jag before and after the game and he got torched. The only player on the Jags D who had a good day was Telvin Smith (14 tackles a TD, etc).
4. Ben said he wanted a rematch and after the first two series or so went out and demonstrated in convincing fashion that the Jags Defense can not stop him. Several of the throws he made were absolutely ridiculous and at one point he completed 14 in a row. If "bulletin board material" was so damn disastrous, shouldn't the Jags secondary been able to use their super duper extra motivation to muster some sort of defense against the absolute strafing that Ben R put on them?
5. The Steelers o-line went out and stymied a damn good Jags pass rush for most of the afternoon. On some plays, Ben had enough time to do his taxes back there. Shouldn't they have been affected by looking past the Jags?

I could go on. But unless Cameron Heyward is going to be your poster boy for "looking past" this game, I don't buy it. I mean I guess that could explain why he had ZERO impact on this game...but does that fit at all with his personality and attitude up to this point?

Shoes
01-15-2018, 01:31 PM
And Foster and several others have said the total opposite. Additionally, the whole narrative doesn't match-up to what happened on the field:

1. Bell was one of the most talkative on social media prior to game and he went out and backed up every damn word.
2. Mitchell while not playing the greatest game ever, didn't do much that contributed to the loss either. Remember that deep ball was on Burns and Haden...
3. Ramsey was the most talkative Jag before and after the game and he got torched. The only player on the Jags D who had a good day was Telvin Smith (14 tackles a TD, etc).
4. Ben said he wanted a rematch and after the first two series or so went out and demonstrated in convincing fashion that the Jags Defense can not stop him. Several of the throws he made were absolutely ridiculous and at one point he completed 14 in a row. If "bulletin board material" was so damn disastrous, shouldn't the Jags secondary been able to use their super duper extra motivation to muster some sort of defense against the absolute strafing that Ben R put on them?
5. The Steelers o-line went out and stymied a damn good Jags pass rush for most of the afternoon. On some plays, Ben had enough time to do his taxes back there. Shouldn't they have been affected by looking past the Jags?

I could go on. But unless Cameron Heyward is going to be your poster boy for "looking past" this game, I don't buy it. I mean I guess that could explain why he had ZERO impact on this game...but does that fit at all with his personality and attitude up to this point?

I agree the media can and is a bunch of hacks but if the players did their jobs, the loss must be on the coaching staff, starting with Tomlin.

hawaiiansteeler
01-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Report: Todd Haley may not be back with Steelers next season

Todd Haley's future with the Steelers is very much in doubt

Sam Quinn
1/14/18

Todd Haley has been a polarizing figure for the Pittsburgh Steelers ever since he joined the team. He has feuded with Ben Roethlisberger, his play-calling has been questioned by fans all season, and now, after a terrible loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, his tenure with the team may soon be over.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Todd-Haley-may-not-be-back-with-Steelers-next-season-113707830

Psycho Ward 86
01-15-2018, 03:18 PM

This.

Look at the players who were looking ahead. Bell? Mitchell? Bell played a vintage Bell game and was outstanding. Mitchell sucked about the same as he does on average. Our front 7 hasnt been dominated like that all season. Even Cam Heyward looked like Cam Thomas out there

Mojouw
01-15-2018, 03:29 PM
I agree the media can and is a bunch of hacks but if the players did their jobs, the loss must be on the coaching staff, starting with Tomlin.

It doesn't have to be that binary. It is possible that the players didn't look ahead, the coaching staff had a decent plan, but the players just got beat on the field. Who knows? Certainly no one outside of the locker-room at this point. Over the next weeks and months actual information and analysis will appear that will provide some insight into the actual process that lead to the outcome.

Prior to that we are all just kinda flailing around in the dark looking to blame someone or something.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 03:50 PM
It doesn't have to be that binary. It is possible that the players didn't look ahead, the coaching staff had a decent plan, but the players just got beat on the field. Who knows? Certainly no one outside of the locker-room at this point. Over the next weeks and months actual information and analysis will appear that will provide some insight into the actual process that lead to the outcome.

Prior to that we are all just kinda flailing around in the dark looking to blame someone or something.

Indeed, but it sure would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the FO. :chuckle:

fansince'76
01-15-2018, 04:00 PM

http://www.gifdivision.com/uploads/4/6/0/3/46032175/12_-_3arp0tf.gif

Blaming the outcome of yesterday's game on an interview that Tomlin had with Dungy WEEKS AGO is RIDICULOUS.

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Sounds like Team Ben is putting out the word I am staying but guess who has to go. Interesting the Bouchette story refers to some key players on offense (I define that group as the three Bs, Pouncey & DeCastro) having Haley issues. My guess is Pouncey and DeCastro deal with Munchak, which could mean AB or Bell also have Todd issues.

Ben Roethlisberger wants to play at least 3 more seasons; Todd Haley may not return

Ben Roethlisberger said publicly on Sunday he will return to play in the 2018 season. He has told teammates he wants to play at least another three....

Todd Haley just finished the final year of his contract, and it is not common for a Steelers coordinator to return under those circumstances....

Haley has done some good things with the Steelers offense and with Roethlisberger at quarterback, particularly helping him cut down on the large number of sacks he had experienced throughout his career.

One thing he did not do, however, was build rapport among some of his staff or support among key players in that offense, including Roethlisberger.

Two days after their loss to New England in the AFC championship a year ago, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan that he was contemplating retirement (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-talk-pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown/stories/201701240140). After he decided to return, he insisted concerns about his health, his family and recent CTE tests prompted retirement thoughts.

However, a Steelers source surmised that some biting words from Haley the day after the loss in New England prompted a frustrated Roethlisberger to bring up retirement publicly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139

(http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139)

stillers4me
01-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Sounds like Team Ben is putting out the word I am staying but guess who has to go. Interesting the Bouchette story refers to key players on offense (I define that group as the three Bs, Pouncey & DeCastro) having haley issues. My guess is Pouncey and DeCastro deal with Munchak, which could mean AB or Bell also have Todd issues.

Ben Roethlisberger wants to play at least 3 more seasons; Todd Haley may not return

Ben Roethlisberger said publicly on Sunday he will return to play in the 2018 season. He has told teammates he wants to play at least another three....

Todd Haley just finished the final year of his contract, and it is not common for a Steelers coordinator to return under those circumstances....

Haley has done some good things with the Steelers offense and with Roethlisberger at quarterback, particularly helping him cut down on the large number of sacks he had experienced throughout his career.

One thing he did not do, however, was build rapport among some of his staff or support among key players in that offense, including Roethlisberger.

Two days after their loss to New England in the AFC championship a year ago, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan that he was contemplating retirement (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-talk-pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown/stories/201701240140). After he decided to return, he insisted concerns about his health, his family and recent CTE tests prompted retirement thoughts.

However, a Steelers source surmised that some biting words from Haley the day after the loss in New England prompted a frustrated Roethlisberger to bring up retirement publicly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139

(http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139)

Please post as a new thread....I've made many requests about not burying stories within other threads. They get overlooked plus they don't get pinged to twitter. I'll repost as a separate thread. Thanks. :cheers:

fansince'76
01-15-2018, 04:17 PM

I think massively upgrading the OL over several drafts and hiring a competent OL coach for a change had something to do with that...

AtlantaDan
01-15-2018, 04:23 PM
Please post as a new thread....I've made many requests about not burying stories within other threads. They get overlooked plus they don't get pinged to twitter. I'll repost as a separate thread. Thanks. :cheers:

I thought about posting a new thread but I regarded the main point of the story being the P-G joining the Haley is out bandwagon with claims other players along with staff have Todd issues and Ben claiming Haley was a reason he was thinking of retiring after last season. That ties into the increasing pressure to say goodbye to Haley.

The flip side of stories being buried in threads is 10 threads running versions of the same story.

As far as Ben saying he wants to play three more seasons being a story line that supports its own thread I will not regard that as credible until he redoes his contract to defer some of his 2018 $$$. Ben has been known to change his views.

:drink:

tube517
01-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Bryant says he wants to come back, too. Rumors circulating that Haley is leaving.

:scratchchin: :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
01-15-2018, 05:10 PM
I think massively upgrading the OL over several drafts and hiring a competent OL coach for a change had something to do with that...

It had EVERYTHING to do with that imo.

Shoes
01-15-2018, 05:11 PM
It had EVERYTHING to do with that imo.

Amen!

hawaiiansteeler
01-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Steelers vs. Jaguars: 4 Winners and 4 Losers in the Steelers’ season-ending loss to Jacksonville

By Jeff.Hartman
Jan 15, 2018

LOSERS

Todd Haley

When I think about the loss to the Jaguars, the failed fourth-and-short situations will always come to mind. The jet sweep plays against a fast and aggressive defense epitomize Haley simply out-thinking himself, on more than one occasion. Haley isn’t fully to blame for the team’s loss, they did score 42-points, but his situational football sense needs some serious help. For the first time in a long time, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Haley let go when the offseason officially settles in.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-2017-2018-preview-playoffs-divisional-round-news-updates-roster-depth-chart-tickets-jaguars-how-to-watch/2018/1/15/16891274/steelers-vs-jaguars-winners-and-loser-in-the-steelers-season-ending-loss-to-jacksonville-playoffs

86WARD
01-15-2018, 07:56 PM

It’s not so much “looking past” but all the talk about NE this and Patriots that took some of the focus off of preparation for Jacksonville and if you don’t want to buy that, then all the talk als fueled the opposing locker room...that is pretty much a proven fact. You don’t need to give another team any “extra” motivation in the playoffs.

NCSteeler
01-15-2018, 07:59 PM
It’s not so much “looking past” but all the talk about NE this and Patriots that took some of the focus off of preparation for Jacksonville and if you don’t want to buy that, then all the talk als fueled the opposing locker room...that is pretty much a proven fact. You don’t need to give another team any “extra” motivation in the playoffs.I personally think this defense totally looked past the Jags . They did not prepare for this team at all and it showed. The coaching staff was busy writing game plans for new England .

fansince'76
01-15-2018, 08:16 PM
It’s not so much “looking past” but all the talk about NE this and Patriots that took some of the focus off of preparation for Jacksonville and if you don’t want to buy that, then all the talk als fueled the opposing locker room...that is pretty much a proven fact. You don’t need to give another team any “extra” motivation in the playoffs.

As it was pointed out elsewhere, it was more the media doing that talking than anyone else.

AtlantaDan
01-16-2018, 11:18 AM
From Tomlin's end of season press conference

Haley is dead man walking

hawaiiansteeler
01-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Todd Haley’s Contract With Steelers Expires

January 16th, 2018

Todd Haley‘s contract with the Steelers has expired, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. As Bouchette explains, the team does not typically allow a coach’s contract to lapse if they intend to keep him, so this could indeed be the end of his time as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator.

Haley is reportedly at odds with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his off-the-field behavior probably doesn’t help matters. This season, Roethlisberger requested that QBs coach Randy Fichtner coach from the sidelines instead of the press box so that he can provide a buffer between him and Haley.

to read rest of article:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/01/todd-haleys-contract-steelers-expire

Fire Goodell
01-16-2018, 03:21 PM
I can't believe people are putting the blame on Haley, where a lot of the blame hasn't been on Butler.

Haley didn't surrender 350+ yards, 38 points, 0 red zone stops, 0 sacks, 0 takeaways. If you score 42, hell, even 30 at home that should be a win.

Jacksonville is as one dimensional of an offense there is. Stop the run. Do that you win. Obviously the defense wasn't up to the task.

BlackAndGold
01-16-2018, 03:32 PM
When should we expect to hear that Fitchtner is promoted to OC?

Friday?

tube517
01-16-2018, 03:46 PM

Friday?

Ben's having a party at Tequila Cowboy Friday night??

AtlantaDan
01-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Friday?

One theory is if the hammer drops it will be be before the coaching staff takes their exciting trip to Orlando starting next Tuesday to coach the Pro Bowl, which allegedly thrills Tomlin

NCSteeler
01-16-2018, 06:54 PM
One theory is if the hammer drops it will be be before the coaching staff takes their exciting trip to Orlando starting next Tuesday to coach the Pro Bowl, which allegedly thrills Tomlin

953316755476221954He should be the Pro Bowl is the epitome of Tomlin coaching no preparation sloppy oorah football.

st33lersguy
01-16-2018, 11:03 PM

If he's excited to coach the pro bowl, something's wrong with him. He should be embarrassed that all he has to show for 9 pro bowlers is pro bowl coach

AtlantaDan
01-17-2018, 10:21 AM
Haley's condition clearly terminal now that vultures like Peter King are circling

Tomlin may need to fire offensive coordinator Todd Haley; whatever happens on the offensive staff, a team with this talent has to be better than eighth in scoring and 20th in rushing yards....

I also think the offense has to be more disciplined. Sloppy play at the end of the game against New England—even with the very close replay reversal on the Jesse James catch-no catch at the goal line—cost them dearly.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/17/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-todd-haley-offseason-changes-mmqb-peter-king

86WARD
01-17-2018, 11:15 AM
It’s been reported that it’s official and he will not return to Pittsburgh.

86WARD
01-17-2018, 11:16 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180117/f8a9b5f0a2de93347b6077dd3f79ea23.jpg

salamander
01-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Not sad to see Haley leave, but the defense still needs to be addressed...but that's a discussion for a different thread.

NCSteeler
01-17-2018, 11:21 AM
This needs to be a wake up call to Tomlin. He must change a few things in his coaching style and what he allows and expects from his coaches and players

steelerdude15
If he's excited to coach the pro bowl, something's wrong with him. He should be embarrassed that all he has to show for 9 pro bowlers is pro bowl coach

Could just be PR talk.

vasteeler
And yet Butler still on the team... SMH

tube517
01-17-2018, 11:25 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/17/todd-haley-out-as-steelers-offensive-coordinator/

Todd Haley out as Steelers offensive coordinator

Crash probably rented a party room at the Tequila Cowboy

AtlantaDan
01-17-2018, 11:29 AM
It’s been reported that it’s official and he will not return to Pittsburgh.

Yep - This from the P-G

Todd Haley’s tenure as Steelers offensive coordinator ended Wednesday, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/17/todd-haley-fired-steelers-offensive-coordinator-search-mike-tomlin-coaching-changes/stories/201801170168

tube517
01-17-2018, 11:35 AM

Grandma Fichtner! :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
01-17-2018, 11:35 AM
And yet Butler still on the team... SMH

Someone was going to go - I agree someone on the defensive staff should be gone as well (given the flameouts of first round picks at OLB how does Porter survive?) but I get the move

No indication the best player on the Steelers defense has been taking shots at the coordinator for years or that Butler was working with talent close to the level of the offense - the two 4th down plays that worked on Sunday were due to raw talent, not play calling - axing both coordinators is a lot of self-inflicted disruption

Plus Butler has goodwill banked with the organization that Haley, who by all indications is a jackass, never did

Shoes
01-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Might be munch's job, he didn't go to AZ for the second interview

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/17/report-mike-munchak-wont-interview-with-cardinals-again/

tube517
01-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Might be munch's job, he didn't go to AZ for the second interview

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/17/report-mike-munchak-wont-interview-with-cardinals-again/

Munch stays

Ben staying

Bryant staying

Haley leaving

Quick somebody tell Richard Mann! :lol:

AtlantaDan
01-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Munch stays

Ben staying

Bryant staying

Haley leaving

Yep - no question Haley was not beloved - he also becomes the convenient scapegoat for everything related to an under performing offense

st33lersguy
01-17-2018, 11:57 AM
https://lh5.ggpht.com/hKoH8M8AuADok1MG6A4tennzImKRzCy4gvYQJzK5FSAzg3iYe6 TUnKTTlz7nwkMlEhc=w300

Born2Steel
01-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Yep - no question Haley was not beloved - he also becomes the convenient scapegoat for everything related to an under performing offense

I think that's the major point. The offense did not under-achieve. The talent put up 42 points on the Jags, despite Haley's incredibly horrendous play calls. This offense should be putting up those points each week. Something was holding them back, and it's not the talent level.

JayC
01-17-2018, 12:02 PM
the 4th and inches calls are unforgivable. fuck haley

Craic
01-17-2018, 12:06 PM
I think that's the major point. The offense did not under-achieve. The talent put up 42 points on the Jags, despite Haley's incredibly horrendous play calls. This offense should be putting up those points each week. Something was holding them back, and it's not the talent level.

For the first 6-8 games, it was the QB and the RB. When they got their act together, the entire offense changed. As I've said in numerous threads now, I really don't care for Haley one way or another, but if you ask why this team didn't make it to the AFCCG, the vast majority of the blame falls on the defense, so changing OCs is not going to get us to the next step.

BlackAndGold
Without Haley, Ben is probably retired due to injuries.

Hope he finds work elsewhere, I for one am thankful for all the work Haley did. He was never the problem.

tube517
I hope his landlord locked up the place.

tube517
01-17-2018, 12:18 PM

AtlantaDan
01-17-2018, 12:34 PM
For the first 6-8 games, it was the QB and the RB. When they got their act together, the entire offense changed. As I've said in numerous threads now, I really don't care for Haley one way or another, but if you ask why this team didn't make it to the AFCCG, the vast majority of the blame falls on the defense, so changing OCs is not going to get us to the next step.

Everyone will correctly remember the defensive collapse against Jax, but without the defense holding the fort while the offense kicked field goals until the offense showed up starting around the Titans game this team was likely not getting a bye and certainly might have lost on the road in Jax even if the defense was not horrible (this has been an entirely different offense on the road for years, which is on the QB or the OC).

And going into turtle mode in the second half of the Pats game along with the end of game cluster arguably is the reason it was not Pats-Jags last weekend so significant blame can be distributed to Todd as well for why the Steelers are not playing this weekend.

Coaches wear out their welcomes and Haley wore out his with important players, perhaps some coaches, and maybe the owner (not a good move when your job is on the line in any occupation to make the news for getting rolled on New Years Eve).

I bet Butler has more goodwill banked at all levels of the organization than Haley did and he did not make the personnel choice to have no viable Plan B for the player you built the defense around going down in Cincinnati.

Since I am not certain canning Butler will get the Steelers to the next step either (Tomlin seems to be far more hands on with the defense and Tomlin is not going anywhere for now) I am for Haley going if only to eliminate one source of drama.

lipps83
01-17-2018, 12:40 PM

hahaha, that would be the play of the century.

Bluecoat96
01-17-2018, 12:53 PM
Somewhere in the depths of their mom's basement, Mr. Crash came in his pants at the news of Todd Haley getting canned.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Shoes
01-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Post of the day!

Moose
01-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Haley gone ! That's great....now what about the DEFENSE ROONEY ?? Stupidity ???? Doing the same shit over and over....not making any changes.....and expecting different results !!!!!! BUTLER--PORTER---LAKE--?

vader29
01-18-2018, 04:28 AM
:lol:

Hawkman
01-18-2018, 06:10 AM
Munch stays

Ben staying

Bryant staying

Haley leaving

:chuckle:
.......but is Nix staying:noidea::chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

Post of the day!

I think it was the bar fight.:wink02:

Edman
01-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Haley is gone. Hopefully Lebeau Jr follows suit.

86WARD
01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Doesn’t sound l8ke Defense is going anywhere. Danny Smith needs OUT!

steelcityboyz
01-18-2018, 05:34 PM
He should be the Pro Bowl is the epitome of Tomlin coaching no preparation sloppy oorah football.

Sent from my XT1575 using TapatalkUnless Tomlin changes a few things on how he coaches he will have a standing invitation at every pro bowl. I wouldn't be excited I'd be embarassed.

Craic
01-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Haley gone ! That's great....now what about the DEFENSE ROONEY ?? Stupidity ???? Doing the same shit over and over....not making any changes.....and expecting different results !!!!!! BUTLER--PORTER---LAKE--?

I'm okay with Lake and Porter. They don't have a lot of say in who gets handed to them to train, but they're doing the best they can. Change the DC and then assess how the assistants are doing in a better scheme.

Mojouw
01-18-2018, 09:45 PM
I'm okay with Lake and Porter. They don't have a lot of say in who gets handed to them to train, but they're doing the best they can. Change the DC and then assess how the assistants are doing in a better scheme.

Name on player not named TJ Watt who has seemed to get any better year to year under Porter and Lake. Shazier?

Now look at the assembly line of player in and improvement out that Mitchell, Munch, and Mann have been running at DL, OL, and WR.

Porter and Lake may not be part of the problem but they certainly aren't providing evidence that they are part of the solution either.

Shoes
01-18-2018, 10:00 PM
Name on player not named TJ Watt who has seemed to get any better year to year under Porter and Lake. Shazier?

Now look at the assembly line of player in and improvement out that Mitchell, Munch, and Mann have been running at DL, OL, and WR.

Porter and Lake may not be part of the problem but they certainly aren't providing evidence that they are part of the solution either.

I think TJ excelled because of JJ, Hope he spends the entire off season with JJ at the cabin. :chuckle:

Craic
01-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Mike Hilton? Sean Davis? When he was in there, Cameron Sutton? Getting Haden into and adjusted to the system? Burns wasn't as good as we hoped this year, but sophomore slump is a real thing, and he still flashed some great skills. As for LBs, Watt and Shazier both got better as did Fort and Matakevich (the latter being injured unfortunately). But, once again, if you don't put your places in a place where they can excel, they will never excel.

st33lersguy
01-18-2018, 11:48 PM
Mike Hilton? Sean Davis? When he was in there, Cameron Sutton? Getting Haden into and adjusted to the system? Burns wasn't as good as we hoped this year, but sophomore slump is a real thing, and he still flashed some great skills. As for LBs, Watt and Shazier both got better as did Fort and Matakevich (the latter being injured unfortunately). But, once again, if you don't put your places in a place where they can excel, they will never excel.

Davis regressed significantly in year 2 and was out of position all year. What did Matekevich and Fort do on defense?

tube517
01-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Toss sweeps on 4th and 1 to Saquon Barkley?

stillers4me
01-21-2018, 11:58 AM
If Haley actually gets hired, can we post the announcement in the Around the NFL forum, por favor?

This same thread started out as a Will Haley Get Canned, to Haley Gets Canned, to Haley Talking to the Browns. :frusty:

Thanks. :peace:

st33lersguy
01-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Haley to the browns would be hilarious

hawaiiansteeler
01-21-2018, 01:02 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/haley.jpg

AtlantaDan
01-21-2018, 01:27 PM

Haley has received a strong endorsement from Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22168769/ex-steelers-offensive-coordinator-todd-haley-talks-cleveland-browns

No strong endorsement from Ben?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srw3RdiIlrQ

hawaiiansteeler
01-21-2018, 01:46 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/dc/2f/88/dc2f88e1ba3878642bb775420bfe18a0--my-boys.jpg

Lady Steel
01-21-2018, 02:05 PM
https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F04%2F08%2F63595730599314 19581434703904_byef.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=949&h=2b35511fbe53f1a1b3d21f4df8e6617fd19f453bc4e19233 dcfa59b7b370bfb2&size=980x&c=4066529707

Mojouw
01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
I kinda want to see a Haley led offense drop 35 on the Steelers while Fichtner gets like 12.

This place might literally catch on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady Steel
01-21-2018, 04:27 PM
I kinda want to see a Haley led offense drop 35 on the Steelers while Fichtner gets like 12.

Oh, that would not be good. Not good at all. :lol:

Bluecoat96
01-21-2018, 08:35 PM
I'm interested to go back and watch some old school DeAngelo Williams highlights from Memphis....when Fichtner last called plays for an offense. Will we see any similarities, or will everything remain the same?

steelerdude15
01-21-2018, 08:51 PM

It does in every game day thread. :wink02: :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
01-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Will everything remain the same?

Maybe we will get the snap off with more than one or two seconds left on the play clock and run a hurry up rather than just no huddle offense - I was watching the clock when Brady brought the Pats back in the 4th quarter - none of the apparently calling in an order for the postgame meal while the clock ticks to zero. IMO it turned the game when the Jags got the delay of game late in the first half on what would have been a first down pickup into field goal range

Craic
01-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Davis regressed significantly in year 2 and was out of position all year. What did Matekevich and Fort do on defense?
Davis had typical sophomore troubles. That's far from "regressing." In fact he's made some big plays that have either helped set the tone of a game or give us a victory. I'm thinking of the last games against the Ravens and Bengals, in particular. Matekavich and Fort played much better than their projections at the beginning of the year. The argument isn't about how good they are, it's about whether they've gotten better.

DesertSteel
01-21-2018, 10:32 PM
I'm interested to go back and watch some old school DeAngelo Williams highlights from Memphis....when Fichtner last called plays for an offense. Will we see any similarities, or will everything remain the same?

The biggest difference is that Ben will be able to audiblize.

pczach
01-22-2018, 05:51 AM
Maybe we will get the snap off with more than one or two seconds left on the play clock and run a hurry up rather than just no huddle offense - I was watching the clock when Brady brought the Pats back in the 4th quarter - none of the apparently calling in an order for the postgame meal while the clock ticks to zero. IMO it turned the game when the Jags got the delay of game late in the first half on what would have been a first down pickup into field goal range

That has to be built into the offense, and the quarterback has to have the blessing of the OC and the head coach to do it. That is something that is practiced over and over again, as the quarterback trains himself to make calls quickly, get to the line quickly, and run plays when he knows what defense the opponent will be in and the personnel that is already on the field. That catches the defense in the personnel that they already have on the field, or forces them to try to substitute which can be used against them if you snap the ball before a player gets off the field. That only happens if the quarterback is trusted to make those decisions. Haley apparently never had that trust, never wanted to relinquish his control, or both. If the team can just be at the line of scrimmage and get the defense for one 12 men on the field penalty that extends a drive each game, it makes sense.

Keeping Fichtner allows Haley's offense to stay in place. Ben already knows everything about the offense. It would just be a matter of making adjustments to the offense if they choose to. They can put Ben under center more. They can build in more play action passing. They can put in quarterback sneaks, and they can give Ben more control and emphasize a true hurry up offense in situational football. Putting Ben under center more would also be a precursor to running quarterback sneaks because Haley never figured out that they can't be run from the shotgun. :chuckle: