PDA

View Full Version : Good Bortles versus Bad Bortles

Mojouw
01-11-2018, 10:30 AM
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/11/16876746/blake-bortles-nfl-playoffs-breakdown

Nice breakdown of what Bortles looks like when it all goes wrong and what he looks like when it all goes right.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Lots of info there. The fact is that Bortles has all the arm strength, size and experience to be productive. The thing I notice the most is that he has "happy feet" in the pocket a lot and I think the Steelers collapsing the pocket would be an important part of making Bortles make bad throws.

The other thing is the "predetermined throws into bad situations". He has a nice drop, plant and throw in one of those gifs and its right into close coverage that is almost picked off. Something there tells me that he isn't great at reading coverages and given this much time in the NFL, that isn't great.

IMO, the Steelers D line should focus on "tackling the RB on the way to the QB" and either an ILB or dime backer like Golden or Gay should be aware of Bortles scrambling for yardage when his pocket breaks down. Its an aggressive one-gap technique, but one that relies upon the 2nd level to clean up the tackles in case the front 4(or 5) miss the tackle on the ballcarrier. Tougher to do without #50, but gotta trust the next man up.

Rotorhead
01-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Lots of info there. The fact is that Bortles has all the arm strength, size and experience to be productive. The thing I notice the most is that he has "happy feet" in the pocket a lot and I think the Steelers collapsing the pocket would be an important part of making Bortles make bad throws.

The other thing is the "predetermined throws into bad situations". He has a nice drop, plant and throw in one of those gifs and its right into close coverage that is almost picked off. Something there tells me that he isn't great at reading coverages and given this much time in the NFL, that isn't great.

IMO, the Steelers D line should focus on "tackling the RB on the way to the QB" and either an ILB or dime backer like Golden or Gay should be aware of Bortles scrambling for yardage when his pocket breaks down. Its an aggressive one-gap technique, but one that relies upon the 2nd level to clean up the tackles in case the front 4(or 5) miss the tackle on the ballcarrier. Tougher to do without #50, but gotta trust the next man up.

Fortunately both Gay and Hilton are solid tacklers at that level, maybe one of them can be a QB spy for stretches in the game (if we do well stopping Fournette for the most part).

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Fortunately both Gay and Hilton are solid tacklers at that level, maybe one of them can be a QB spy for stretches in the game (if we do well stopping Fournette for the most part).

Hilton will be on the slot and the question becomes if Gay or a LB ends up on Marcedes Lewis in pattern. IMO, Bortles will try and game manage rather than take shots downfield if the game is close, so he will use his legs when there is nobody to pass to. I honestly like the idea of Davis, or Bince Williams on a delay blitz to pressure the QB.

IMO, the key is for the Steelers to get ahead and let the Jags have to play from behind. That is when Bortles will force something.

86WARD
01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
The Jags will be aggressive early on and if Bortles hits on a couple key passes and builds some confidence, he could be dangerous if he starts hitting completions and starts using his legs. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Fournette is a secondary option...