PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Game Plan vs. Jags

GBMelBlount
01-09-2018, 07:56 AM
If you were running the Steelers offensive vs. the Jags, what would your general game plan be?

Mojouw
01-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Same as it always is. Put the ball in the hands of my QB. Maybe encourage him to not exclusively throw at Jalen Ramsey this time.

I really think the Jags defense is imposing. I honestly do. But as has been pointed out - the Steelers moved the ball well on them last time and if those FGs were TDs, they would've had 21 points at the half.

cubanstogie
01-09-2018, 10:30 AM
the beauty of Leveon Bell is he can do everything. If they stop him running the ball, get him the ball through passing game. A lot safer passes than throwing hit 20-30 downfield as well. Ben needs to take a page out of Tom Bradys playbook and take what defense gives you. don't fall in love with big play. The big play will come eventually. Their offense has looked so bad the last 3 weeks as long as Steelers don't turn it over they win IMO. Bortles is not going to consistently drive their team 80 yards.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2018, 11:13 AM
As much as the Jags cornerbacks get talked about, Telvin Smith was arguably the biggest game ruiner when we last played. He's one of the few linebackers in the league that isnt a mismatch for Leveon Bell in the passing game. When we attack the middle, a lot of those passes are going to have to go a distance, because Telvin sat on Bell's underneath routes all game and pretty much negated him there.

He's not Shazier fast but he's definitely up there. Intermediate middle passing game: That's where Juju and Mcdonald come into play

43Hitman
01-09-2018, 11:20 AM
As much as the Jags cornerbacks get talked about, Telvin Smith was arguably the biggest game ruiner when we last played. He's one of the few linebackers in the league that isnt a mismatch for Leveon Bell in the passing game. When we attack the middle, a lot of those passes are going to have to go a distance, because Telvin sat on Bell's underneath routes all game and pretty much negated him there.

He's not Shazier fast but he's definitely up there. Intermediate middle passing game: That's where Juju and Mcdonald come into play

I think the bolded is key to this match-up. They basically just spied Bell when typically you see that on a QB. However, with JuJu and McDonald now in the fold in a big way, that is a good/great counter to their spy.

DesertSteel
01-09-2018, 11:26 AM
I think the bolded is key to this match-up. They basically just spied Bell when typically you see that on a QB. However, with JuJu and McDonald now in the fold in a big way, that is a good/great counter to their spy.
Agree. I think a big dose of JuJu and McNugget in the first quarter will open things up for AB and LeVeon.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2018, 11:36 AM
What about throwing deep to open up the intermediate passing game.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Agree. I think a big dose of JuJu and McNugget in the first quarter will open things up for AB and LeVeon.

Crossing routes: Bell running shallow and Juju or Mcdonald running deeper. Telvin will cover Bell when the Jaguars are in zone and pay for it big time

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Born2Steel
01-09-2018, 12:10 PM
May be one of the last chances to put down this Jags team, if they keep building the way they have. Could be the beginning of our new rivalry.

Maybe we could try bringing in a rookie QB after halftime?

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Bell had 10 catchs(on 10 targets)in the last game against the Jaguars but he had only 46 yards in his 10 catchs....

teegre
01-09-2018, 02:01 PM
My gameplan...

Firts of all, most will not like this, but I would sit AB for the first three drives. If the Steelers’ offense struggles and/or the Steelers fall behind, then (and only then) would I bring in AB.

I’d run Bell a lot, using Hubbard as the sixth O-lineman. It takes one of their DBs (their strength) off of the field. Once they start crowding the LOS, hit JuJu and/or McDonald across the middle. Once they start dropping their safety back, more runs. Repeat until ad nauseum.

Bell
BB
AV - Foster - Pouncey - DD - Gilbert - Hubbard - McDonald
JuJu Bryant

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 02:12 PM
The only game that matters for the steelers right now is against the jaguars and they have to do everything to win this game

The AFC title game do not matters right now, the only game that matters is against the jaguars.Do not think it's going to be easy against the jaguars since they're way better than last year's dolphins, it's not even close.

Their defense is loaded it's ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

I would stop to play Brown only if the steelers have a big lead at the end of the game, otherwise the steelers must do everything to win this game

86WARD
01-09-2018, 02:24 PM
If they are going to pass: Shallow crosses to JuJu. Checkdown passes to Bell. Seam passes to McDonald/James.

Otherwise...just run the ball with Bell.

teegre
01-09-2018, 04:23 PM
If they are going to pass: Shallow crosses to JuJu. Checkdown passes to Bell. Seam passes to McDonald/James.

Otherwise...just run the ball with Bell.

:nod:

If AB were healthy, I’d have ZERO problem attacking Jalen Ramsey, cause AB had 10 for 157 against him last time (and that was even after a TD got called back). AB can eat anyone’s lunch... ANYONE’S!!!

Fire Goodell
01-09-2018, 06:00 PM
we gotta do diddley poo offensively we gotta make some first downs, we gotta run the ball, we gotta try to run the ball, we gotta complete a pass, we can't suck

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 06:06 PM
we gotta do diddley poo offensively we gotta make some first downs, we gotta run the ball, we gotta try to run the ball, we gotta complete a pass, we can't suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI

86WARD
01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
:nod:

If AB were healthy, I’d have ZERO problem attacking Jalen Ramsey, cause AB had 10 for 157 against him last time (and that was even after a TD got called back). AB can eat anyone’s lunch... ANYONE’S!!!

I don’t know...Xavier Rhodes was pretty good against him...

Iron Steeler
01-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Run out of 4 or 3 wide sets. Leveon envolved in passing game. Don't force feed AB. Ben maybe run to pick up somw first downs. If we dont turn the ball over 5 times we should be ok

teegre
01-09-2018, 08:28 PM
I don’t know...Xavier Rhodes was pretty good against him...

True

That said, AB had 5 for 64 yards against him... which expands out to a 1000 yard season. (How spoiled we have become. LOL)

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2018, 11:56 PM
True

That said, AB had 5 for 64 yards against him... which expands out to a 1000 yard season. (How spoiled we have become. LOL)

AB would have had a 100 yard game easily if not for DPI (which was called at least) on a deep strike down the sideline

I think we'll be able to benefit a lot from a wide variation in offensive sets. The Jaguars played an incredible amount of zone last time. I say we exploit that with some 3 receiver stacks and crossers so that some of the weaker links like Aaron Colvin end up covering AB instead of Ramsey or Bouye

hawaiiansteeler
01-10-2018, 12:44 AM
Former Steeler DeAngelo Williams dropping truth bombs about Todd Haley

By: Curt Popejoy

There is no Pittsburgh Steeler, past or present, who can elicit the kind of emotional response that running back DeAngelo Williams can. And the reality of it is he’s doing nothing but telling the truth.

Williams talked about the last time these two teams squared off and the lack of rushing the football. And what he thinks about offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s job if they don’t do a better job this time around.

In case you don’t remember what Williams is talking about let us remind you. Running back Le’Veon carried the football only 15 times for 47 yards. This was the second of a four-game stretch that included games of 35, 32 and 35 carries, respectively.

Instead, Haley had quarterback Ben Roethlisberger put it into the air 55 times. This is the second-highest amount of the season. The Jaguars were able to key on the passing game and ended up picking off Roethlisberger five times.

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/09/former-steeler-deangelo-williams-dropping-truth-bombs-about-todd-haley/

teegre
01-10-2018, 06:20 AM
I think we'll be able to benefit a lot from a wide variation in offensive sets. The Jaguars played an incredible amount of zone last time. I say we exploit that with some 3 receiver stacks and crossers so that some of the weaker links like Aaron Colvin end up covering AB instead of Ramsey or Bouye

Plus... bubble screens. :wink02:

Mojouw
01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Former Steeler DeAngelo Williams dropping truth bombs about Todd Haley

By: Curt Popejoy

There is no Pittsburgh Steeler, past or present, who can elicit the kind of emotional response that running back DeAngelo Williams can. And the reality of it is he’s doing nothing but telling the truth.

Williams talked about the last time these two teams squared off and the lack of rushing the football. And what he thinks about offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s job if they don’t do a better job this time around.

In case you don’t remember what Williams is talking about let us remind you. Running back Le’Veon carried the football only 15 times for 47 yards. This was the second of a four-game stretch that included games of 35, 32 and 35 carries, respectively.

Instead, Haley had quarterback Ben Roethlisberger put it into the air 55 times. This is the second-highest amount of the season. The Jaguars were able to key on the passing game and ended up picking off Roethlisberger five times.

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/09/former-steeler-deangelo-williams-dropping-truth-bombs-about-todd-haley/

Cool story if you don't really give a crap about facts or anything.

The Steelers ran roughly 32 plays in the first half. 10 of them were designed runs (http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57306/PIT_Gamebook.pdf - see page 6). They also targeted Bell 6 times in the passing game.

Once the wheels fell off in the second half and they got down big, then the massive switch to passing came along. Additionally, if you look at some of the drives, the reason for the lack of runs was getting too far behind the chains due to failed plays or penalty. Hard to run when down and distance is working against you!

This is not a defense of Haley - his red zone stuff stunk in this game. But rather, the answer is far more complex than "DDDrrrrrr. Call more Runs!" Once again proving that Twitter is not a platform for nuanced commentary.