PDA

View Full Version : LeBron says Cavs have edge.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-01-2010, 10:43 PM
LeBron: Cavs have free-agency edge

ESPN.com news services

CLEVELAND -- One month from the start of the NBA's free-agency frenzy, LeBron James has handicapped his field of suitors.

The Cleveland Cavaliers lead the pack.

In his first interview since the Cavs' season ended with a shocking, second-round loss to Boston, James told CNN's Larry King that Cleveland has "an edge" to re-sign him when the greatest collection of free agents in league history hits the open market on July 1.

King, who interviewed James at the two-time MVP's home near Akron on Tuesday, asked the superstar if Cleveland has "an edge going in?"

"Absolutely. Because, you know, this city, these fans, I mean, have given me a lot in these seven years. And, you know, for me, it's comfortable. So I've got a lot of memories here. And -- and so it does have an edge," James told King.

"It's going to be a very interesting summer and I'm looking forward to it."

Also during the interview, James said he can't wait for July 1 to arrive and that he has not yet decided where he'll sign.

"I'm far from close," he was quoted as saying in a transcript posted on WEWS-TV's website in Cleveland. "July is still a month away, less than a month away. I've thought about it, but I haven't began to strategize exactly."

The interview will air Friday on CNN's "Larry King Live," capping the program's 25th anniversary celebration on the network.

Other than his postgame interview, James has not talked to the media since the Cavs were eliminated fron the playoffs.

James also made his first comments about former Cavs coach Mike Brown, who was fired in the aftermath of Cleveland's startling loss to the Celtics. James said he was sorry to see Brown let go after five seasons.

"He was a great coach, five great years we had together and we turned a franchise that hadn't seen a lot of things in a lot of years," James said.

The 25-year-old James heads a star-studded free-agency summer class featuring Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and others.

The New York Knicks, Chicago Bulls and New Jersey Nets are among a group of teams expected to make a strong push for James, who is humbled by all the attention as well as recent comments by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who wants him to sign with the Knicks, and President Barack Obama, who would like to see him step into Michael Jordan's shadow with the Bulls.

James seemed intrigued by the Clippers and the chance to play near Hollywood.

"They've got some really good players. Some really nice, solid pieces that, if they add a free agent here or a free agent there, it could be a really good team. It's a great city. But at the same time, it's not always about the city. It's about winning. If you put me and Bosh on the same team, if you put me and Dwayne Wade on the same team, a lot of teams would be much better. You know, the Cavs would be much better."

And while he'll consult with advisers, family and friends, James said the choice of his next team will be up to one person.

"It's going to be me," he said. "I'm going to have to sit down and say 'where do you want to play'?

James has spent all seven seasons as a pro with the Cavs, who offered him a contract extension last year and can give him $30 million more than any other team in a maximum-length deal.

James has kept a low profile since Cleveland's season ended. He did not speak to reporters when he helped judge an amateur slam dunk contest during a public appearance on Saturday.

On Saturday, former NBA player Darryl Dawkins, who judged the dunk contest with James, said he believed that Cleveland's All-Star should follow his heart.

"He should go where he thinks he'll be happy," said one of the most powerful dunkers in league history. "Make the right decision for your family and get as much money as you can. If he leaves Cleveland, basketball as we know it here is going to go down. They have to do what they can to keep him here. I would like to see him stay in Cleveland, but he has to do what is right for him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743

suitanim
06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I'm still thinking he'll stay. I think the Cavs will make some offers like the Tribe did to keep Thome, stuff like a statue out front of the arena and stuff like that...little extra perks. Ultimately it's his love of the area that will keep him here...

tony hipchest
06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
that is some tintilating lips service offered by mr james to larry king (due to sweet talk and playing nice to the media, cleveland supposedly had the edge of luring cowher out of retirement, too).

but money always speaks louder than words.-

LeBron James could bring Chicago championships — and $2 billion

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?articleId=33441

Bob McDermott has seen the LeBron James effect firsthand: Crowds at Beer Bistro, his West Loop restaurant, more than doubled on the four occasions the NBA phenom played at the United Center last season.
"The Bulls landing LeBron would be a huge boon for business," Mr. McDermott says. He's not the only one seeing dollar signs as the Bulls pursue Mr. James, arguably the most-coveted free agent in sports history. Broadcast execs are giddy over the prospect of ratings and ad sales leaping back to Michael Jordan-era levels. Apparel shops, ticket brokers and bar and restaurant owners say the 25-year-old megastar would spark a frenzy of spending by local high-rollers and out-of-town professionals. Tourism officials gush over the exposure Chicago would get from near-constant national telecasts.

The LeBron effect could add up to as much as $2.7 billion if he plays here for six years, estimates University of Illinois at Chicago economist John Skorburg. The catch: He'd have to take the Bulls on deep, annual playoff runs, sprinkling in at least a few NBA championships along the way.

Longtime Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf — mum on the chances of King James bolting Cleveland for Chicago, per league rules — would be hard-pressed not to dream of the 13-straight sellout seasons he enjoyed with MJ, when the United Center's luxury boxes bustled with corporate bigwigs.

If Mr. Reinsdorf wins this summer's sweepstakes for the Ohio-born Mr. James, it would provide an economic spark to a city that missed its shot at the global sports spotlight when last year's Olympics bid failed. The prospect of welcoming Mr. James, basketball's most popular star since Mr. Jordan, has many in the city's business community reminiscing about the collective pride and enthusiasm that permeated Chicago in the championship-rich '90s.
"The Bulls during the Jordan era changed the whole flavor, the whole attitude of the city," says Mesirow Financial Holdings Inc. CEO James Tyree, a Bulls season-ticket holder for nearly 30 years. "I used to get more business done at Bulls games than anybody could dream of. I long for those days."
Mesirow dropped its corporate suite after Mr. Jordan's retirement, but Mr. Tyree says he would consider re-upping for Mr. James. He and other Bulls fans likely will have to wait until July 1, the start of the NBA's free-agent signing period, to find out how close the Bulls might be to recapturing past glories.
Mr. James has top billing in a stable of superstar free agents, including Chicago native Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat. The Bulls are among a handful of teams that cleared salary-cap room to offer those elite players the NBA maximum of around $16.5 million a year. Various gambling Web sites give the Bulls the best odds of landing Mr. James should he leave Cleveland, which is still considered the favorite.
Chicago offers a big-market setting for Mr. James to increase his exposure. The New York Knicks also have salary-cap room and could make a stronger fame-and-fortune pitch. But that franchise lacks the Bulls' nucleus of young talent, which NBA pundits believe offers the best chance for Mr. James to grab his elusive first NBA title — the real key to enhancing his endorsement deals and other commercial opportunities.
"Chicago has to convince LeBron that he can win championships there," says Paul Swangard, managing director of the University of Oregon's Warsaw Sports Marketing Center. "To maximize his off-court earning potential, it's all about getting rings."
To be sure, Mr. James' achievements don't yet measure up to Mr. Jordan's. He has yet to win a championship after seven seasons (Mr. Jordan won his first of six titles in his seventh year), with one NBA Finals appearance. This season he and the Cavaliers led the league in wins but put up an anemic fight in a second-round playoff loss to Boston.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/images/random/LeBron-James-as-a-Bull.jpg
Crain's photo illustration by Jason McGregor
Photos by Erik Unger, Getty Images and NewsCom
Still, Mr. James might have just as much star wattage as Mr. Jordan did in his heyday, given the proliferation of digital media and the global reach of today's NBA. Even playing in Cleveland, Mr. James' $28 million in annual endorsements dwarfs that of any other current NBA player.

"LeBron has the potential to transcend international boundaries the way only a handful of athletes have, such as Jordan, (Tiger) Woods and (Muhammad) Ali," says Jim Andrews, editorial director of IEG LLC, a Chicago-based sports marketing consultancy.
Mr. Reinsdorf has misfired on past attempts to land big-name free agents after dumping salary — including infamously sending mascot Benny the Bull to greet then-superstar Tracy McGrady at the airport. (Mr. McGrady chose Orlando.)
The dearth of star power has left the Bulls relatively punchless over the past 13 seasons; the club hasn't made a playoff run since Mr. Jordan's 1998 retirement, and it was bounced by Mr. James' Cavaliers in the first round this spring.
Some economists say that while signing Mr. James would be very good for the Bulls, the estimates of his financial impact may be inflated.
Landing King James alone wouldn't produce the full economic benefit, allows Mr. Skorburg, the UIC economist. His analysis, which estimates a $450-million-a-year boost for the Chicago area over six seasons, hinges on deep playoff runs significantly extending the Bulls' season every year.
Hosting 10 playoff games a year (the Bulls have averaged 1.6 a year over the past decade) would generate nearly $5 million at the United Center on tickets, concessions, parking and other spending, Mr. Skorburg estimates. Across the metro area, he calculates another $40 million per game would be spent on TV ads, sports-bar tabs, pizza deliveries and the like.
That doesn't factor in the halo effect of national exposure. Cavs games were broadcast nationally on major networks 36 times last year — double the Bulls' national telecasts. "All of the television shots of the city during the broadcast will make people more likely to come visit us," says Marc Gordon, CEO of the Illinois Hotel and Lodging Assn.
The other pro sports teams in town would ride Mr. James' coattails, too — especially the high-flying Blackhawks, whose corporate suites often are packaged with the Bulls'. Higher ad rates, which have been known to double following a championship season, would lift Comcast SportsNet, co-owned by the Bulls, Hawks, Cubs and White Sox.
"All the teams would prosper from a LeBron effect," New York-based sports-television consultant Lee Berke says. Returning to an NBA championship could boost the Bulls' value by 20% to 50%, history suggests, to between $613 million and $760 million, according to Forbes magazine's estimate of the franchise's worth. The value of the Miami Heat shot up more than 45% from 2004 to 2006 thanks to an NBA title. Even storied franchisees get a big lift: The Celtics' value rose 22% in two years with their 2008 championship; the 2004 league title pushed the Detroit Pistons' value up 41% in two years.

LeCheddar can be magic johnson, jordan, gretsky or lemieux...

or he can be jim brown/bernie kosar. seems like a no-brainer to me.

he sounded pretty excited in the king interview for the little powwow he has coming up with all the other free agents.

will be very interesting to say the least.

Mach1
06-02-2010, 10:57 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he stays but if he had half a brain he'd get out while he can.

suitanim
06-02-2010, 11:00 AM
:yawn:Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawnnnnnnn:yawn:

SteelersinCA
06-02-2010, 12:38 PM
he sounded pretty excited in the king interview for the little powwow he has coming up with all the other free agents.

will be very interesting to say the least.

That's going to be the deciding factor, not the bikes he gives away to little poor kids in Akron. "Where can the best combination of us free agents go and win a title?" Anyone who says otherwise is delusional and most likely washing LBJ's nuts with their tongue.

suitanim
06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Bunker Map and a couple little braintrust buddies all piling on with the same horseshit again...imagine that.

LOL at CA...listen, skippy, you're from Ohio...NO amount of self-hating ranting against your old stomping grounds can change that. You can move away and hook up with all new winning championship frontrunning teams, bash away mindlessly against anyone and everything that reminds you of that fact, but, at the end of the day, you are...

Still.
From.
Ohio.

tony hipchest
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
WTF is this shit?

"bunker map"? "little braintrust buddies"? "skippy"?

i see old habits are impossible to break and this sociopathic behavior will be transposed onto this site.

there is a very relevant article posted about the economic impact james signing would have in chicago (let alone any city other than that shithole cleveland).

to see a grown many cry, divert, deflect, and decieve because a contrary opinion to his own is posted is absolutely pathetic.

we WILL talk about lebron james and other sports and some may not like the opinions being held. they need to get the F^%K out of the kitchen if they cant stand the heat and go join a freaking cavaliers board, instead of whining about "horseshit" and people "piling on".

this is a PITTSBURGH steelers board and it is inevitible to have a large population of people with direct ties to PITTSBURGH and the state of PENNSYLVANIA.

cleveland sucks.

76ers> cavaliers
steelers, eagles > browns, bengals
PITT, PSU > OSU
penguins> bluejackets
pirates, phillies > indians, reds

if you cant handle it gtfo and quit trolling this board with bs lbj, osu, and indians threads. its almost worse than having LITP infect the board with pro patriots and "tom brady is the greatest ever" threads and posts.

the sad thing is the dumbassed "official" OSU thread was ignored for so long, the author felt the need to hijack it himself and start running smack just to get attention *look at me* then beg for it to be moved to the smack forum as if he had been victimized.

:troll:

i wont have much more to say on the matter (on the open board) cause i respect what FS, HTG, and XT have provided, and im sure they see the lack of self control and petiness that infected this board, even before many (such as myself) had joined.

plus its really not that far of a stretch to believe that if lebron quit on his team, he will quit on the city of cLEAVEland.

we will see, and if im wrong, i wont give 2 shits. i will still root for him as a player and enjoy watching him play while the homers can DIAF.

$2.7 Billion!

X-Terminator
06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I hate to get harsh, but if anyone thinks that we are going to put up with the same bullshit that went on over at SF, you have another thing coming. I will lock this thread down in a New York fukking Minute if things get out of hand.

We started this board to give everyone a chance to come over, engage in some good Steelers/sports talk, and, most importantly, have some fun. We did NOT start it for people to continue their petty ass childish vendettas from the other board which shall not be named.

I suggest you all read the Code of Conduct again. Flaming, baiting, etc. will NOT...repeat NOT...be tolerated here. If you cannot get along, make use of the "ignore" feature.

So please, keep it clean.

tony hipchest
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
no problem. i reviewed the COC and saw nothing about bowing to the altar of all teams OHIO because another member may have a special affliction for them. since the abusive, offensive, trolling, obnoxious or provocative post still reamains, and this thread was addresed after my post with the repeated "you" i will assume it is directed at me.

Hijacking threads not only takes away from the original content of the discussion but is unfair to other members who wish to address the topic at hand.

there is nothing wrong with saying if lebron had half a brain he would get out of the "mistake by the lake". everyone knows this.

i think suggesting lebron james fans are ballwashers is a fair statement. so are ovechkin fans who think he is better than sid. its a common and known fact.

i hope this thread doesnt get shut down. saying we cant talk about lebron, is like saying we cant talk about (or rip on) a-rod, tiger, jimmie johnson, tom brady, p. manning etc. kobe bryant was called a little bitch when he sold shaq out in his rape investigation, pushed shaq out of town, ran phil jackson off, and demanded a trade. if king james wants to wear the crown, and his fans want to exault him, they must accept what comes with the territory.

many people laugh at and clown #48 when he wrecks, yet HTG is able to take it like an adult. there are thousands of pirate fans who dont get bent out of shape when they hear opposing fans say they suck.

i dont see that penguins fans around here have to tiptoe around flyers or habs fans. first and foremost this is a pittsburgh [steelers] sports board, i feel a certain level of respect should be paid. i would feel differently if i were posting on a cavaliers board.

X-Terminator
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't want to lock the thread down, but it's up to you, and by that I mean you, Suit and SteelersinCA. Discuss LeBron all you want, but like I said in another thread, NO personal attacks. Period.

SteelersinCA
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
If my post in this thread was a personal attack, I apologize, I do not see it as such but we all have different perspectives. I thought my point was a generally accepted one by people who even tangentially follow the NBA, after all the pow-wow has been all over sports talk radio for days.

X-Terminator
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
If my post in this thread was a personal attack, I apologize, I do not see it as such but we all have different perspectives. I thought my point was a generally accepted one by people who even tangentially follow the NBA, after all the pow-wow has been all over sports talk radio for days.

I'm just trying to nip this in the bud before it escalates, man. That's all. Sorry if I was harsh, but I wanted my point to get across. I've seen these discussions get out of hand before, and I don't want it to happen again.

Anyway, carry on.

tony hipchest
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
not harsh at all and no need to apologize. ive said from the get go that protecting the integrity of this board (essentially a gift from you three) is #1 in my book. my fun and entertainment takes a back seat to that. if i didnt get goaded into losing my cool over there, it certainly isnt gonna happen here.

i will consider the 3rd party put on notice.

SteelersinCA
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm just trying to nip this in the bud before it escalates, man. That's all. Sorry if I was harsh, but I wanted my point to get across. I've seen these discussions get out of hand before, and I don't want it to happen again.

Anyway, carry on.

It's all good XT. You have a job to do, no worries.

kmsteelerwr15
06-02-2010, 10:41 PM
And now it's time for a Bobcats fan's wishful thinking....

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c54102/x2_172c9b4

....if only...but we all know this won't happen. :Cry:

suitanim
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Effectively moved to the flame thread....sorry for spilling other garbage from SF onto here.

Trivisonno from WTAM says that the "Le Tour" is a farce...Lebron is already signed and is only doing the FA thing for pub and to attract other marquee players to Cleveland. I'm not posting that as fact, because it's not, but he's the big dog in Cleveland radio and it's interesting to pass along.

tony hipchest
06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Effectively moved to the flame thread....sorry for spilling other garbage from SF onto here.
SMH...

unfreakingbelievable :doh:
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/29367/original/shipment-of-fail.jpg

Shea
06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I hate to get harsh, but if anyone thinks that we are going to put up with the same bullshit that went on over at SF, you have another thing coming. I will lock this thread down in a New York fukking Minute if things get out of hand.

I understand that you might be annoyed and tired of "some of the bullshit that went on over at SF" and I get where you personally are coming from even if I might disagree.

But although I like and deeply respect you, I'm worried from your responses to a few threads that you are trying to change a dynamic on this new board compared to the old - a board that not only thrived but was fun.

I beg you to please not try and change what works due to this being a new site.

SF was a major success because of the way it was moderated and this site will also thrive if the same approach is taken here.

If things start changing then we won't have the same community here, and the feel of this new board will not only change but will lose the posters in which made another site great.

Just my two little cents.

Hope you get and understand where I'm coming from.

X-Terminator
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I understand that you might be annoyed and tired of "some of the bullshit that went on over at SF" and I get where you personally are coming from even if I might disagree.

But although I like and deeply respect you, I'm worried from your responses to a few threads that you are trying to change a dynamic on this new board compared to the old - a board that not only thrived but was fun.

I beg you to please not try and change what works due to this being a new site.

SF was a major success because of the way it was moderated and this site will also thrive if the same approach is taken here.

If things start changing then we won't have the same community here, and the feel of this new board will not only change but will lose the posters in which made another site great.

Just my two little cents.

Hope you get and understand where I'm coming from.

Wanting a few people who have been at each other's throats for the better part of a year to refrain from flaming each other on the open board is "changing a dynamic?" How? And how does that do any good for the image of the board if we allow that to go on? How is that going to attract new members, and KEEP them around?

We have it written right in our COC that flaming is NOT permitted. If they insist on busting each other's balls, then take it to PMs or email, or put the person on ignore and don't mention them at all. Again, I do not think that is an unreasonable request. So long as they do that, there won't be any issues, and the board will be fun for everyone.

tony hipchest
06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
shea, im definitely with XT on this one. the admin have stuck there necks out to put this site together in such short order. they have their hands full, just to see that it is visually appealing and operable, let alone getting the word out and regular maintenance. several other regular posters have traded in their 'normal' status to assist the admin and help moderate.

this donation of time is commendable, and it is quite a sacrifice to abandon "normal status" and become part of mgmt.

i feel the last thing any of them need is to be policing every single thread looking for personal attacks, flaming, baiting, and essentially babysitting.

i feel they have bent over backwards to make it as smooth of a transition for us, therefore i feel we are obligated to assist them facilitate the transition.

personally i have found some of the new posts to be completely self serving, deplorable, reprehinsible, and completely taking for granted the forum we have been given.

the old board thrived without the display seen in the inaugural SU thread lockdown. infact the some of the old boards most temultuous times were spurned with similar outbursts precipitated by a single common denominator.

the old board is completely unmoderated now, and an open invitation exists for any kids who wish to continue with this childish behavior 9and like XT says, we can always take things behind the scenes).

i, for one, wont be the person to shit on XT, HTG, FS, LLT, DDF, or S4M, on this new site.

i am wishing for ultimate success.

X-Terminator
06-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Thank you for that, Tony.

We are providing this board for you and all of our members, and we want this to eventually be THE place to go for Steelers talk on the internet. But we need help from the members too, and some things just can't be accepted. Believe me, we'd MUCH rather sit back, work on improving the site and ban spammers and trolls than have to get involved in e-fights between members.

Shea
06-04-2010, 01:14 AM
=tony

i, for one, wont be the person to shit on XT, HTG, FS, LLT, DDF, or S4M, on this new site.

i am wishing for ultimate success.

Don't get me wrong here Tony.

I feel the exact same way, and have even expressed that to the majority of people you've mentioned.

I'm not ever going to "shit" on any of the above because I care and like them, and believe that isn't even a matter of debate.

Looks like what I'm trying to express isn't coming across in the right way.

And that's my fault, and hell I might even be wrong.

I just strongly believe that when someone posts something, whether it stems from the old the board and the feelings created within that, that we should be able to tell how we feel back and also include our individual feelings within the same scenario.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not above wondering when I am, or admitting it when it's presented to me.

But I don't want to see, here or anywhere, that the appropriate time to tell someone that they are a douche will make a thread worthy of locking.

Again, probably not expressing properly what I'm trying to say, and again PLEASE nobody take offense but that is where I'm coming from.

And hell, hockey is just about been put to bed and there's no football, perhaps I need to spend my extra time away from forums and hit the books.

Maybe in the meantime, I can find a way to post without being a bitch.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Cleveland has President Obama on its side now.

Obama: Great if LeBron stays in Ohio

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The president is on the record again about LeBron James -- and this time, the people of Cleveland may be happier about it

President Barack Obama told CNN on Thursday that it would be a terrific story if the basketball superstar stayed with the Cleveland Cavaliers instead of switching teams as a free agent.

Said Obama: "That's a town that has had some tough times." The president said it would be a wonderful statement to Cleveland if James said: "I'm going to make a commitment to this city."

The president stuck to his point that James needs to find a winning situation with a good team and coach.

But he did not gently nudge James toward the Chicago Bulls, Obama's hometown team, as the president did in an interview last month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5249055

Mach1
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Cleveland has President Obama on its side now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5249055

I wouldn't be to happy about that. Whats obaaamas track record when campaigning for someone.

suitanim
06-04-2010, 11:42 AM
The hypocrisy of some people is absolutely unfathomable..."It's okay for ME to make personal attacks because I did it on another forum, or I thought he said something bad about me, but not okay for HIM to..."

WTF ever.

Anyway, why did this thread get hijacked? That's a violation of the forum rules. Back on topic: The newest UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor (want to clarify that...) is that LBJ is already signed with Cleveland to a max contract, and his FA is more about seeing what other teams offer him as well as attracting FA's to Cleveland.

Ironic that so much attention is being paid to "a choker"...why do all these teams want him if he sucks so bad?

suitanim
06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Ferry stepped down today...figured he'd be handed his walking papers otherwise. The plot doesn't really thicken because both moves were expected...

Mach1
06-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Yaaawwwnnn

xX-TSK-Xx
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Cavs are pulling out the big guns. Probably not going to happen. Izzo's name is thrown around every year and he still hasn't left MSU.

Izzo linked to Cleveland job

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Tom Izzo insisted recently that he has no interest in coaching in the NBA until he wins at least one more NCAA title at Michigan State.

But that stance might not stop the Cleveland Cavaliers from trying to hire Izzo as their next coach.

The News-Herald in Northern Ohio reported on its website Sunday night that the Cavaliers -- fresh off dismissing coach Mike Brown and parting ways with general manager Danny Ferry -- have formally extended an offer to Izzo to replace Brown.

The Cavaliers did not confirm or deny the report, declining comment Sunday night.

This is hardly the first time Izzo has been linked to the Cleveland job. Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is a Michigan State graduate and a longtime Izzo admirer who, according to NBA coaching sources, also investigated the feasibility of hiring Izzo in the summer of 2005, when the Cavs also flirted with Larry Brown before hiring Mike Brown.

Yet it figures to take more than a shared allegiance to a university or even Gilbert's reputation as one of the NBA's biggest spenders to tempt Izzo, given that the Cavaliers have no assurances that they can re-sign LeBron James this summer.

Izzo tried to quell the inevitable speculation about joining the Cavs in a recent interview with ESPN.com's Andy Katz, saying: "I don't have an interest [in the NBA] until I win another championship."

He did appear to offer some hope of a future jump to the pros when he told Katz that "I'll never say never." Yet Izzo quickly added: "My name always comes up [for NBA jobs], but that doesn't mean they've talked to you."

Speaking specifically about the Cavaliers' interest in 2005, Izzo insisted: "There was so much made that Dan Gilbert is from Michigan, but that was more manufactured because I didn't meet with them."

Attempts to reach Izzo on Sunday night were unsuccessful.

ESPN.com reported last week that Gilbert has not abandoned hope of hiring a big-name coach despite the fact that Jeff Van Gundy has informed interested teams such as the New Jersey Nets and Cleveland that he intends to stay in television as an ESPN/ABC analyst for at least one more season before returning to coaching.

Charlotte's Larry Brown and Kentucky coach John Calipari -- who is friendly with James and sat near Cleveland's bench during its Game 5 home loss to Boston in the second round of the NBA playoffs -- are two more marquee names that have been mentioned as potential Cavs candidates. ESPN's Byron Scott and Milwaukee Bucks assistant Kelvin Sampson, meanwhile, are already under consideration in Cleveland, sources say.

Izzo hasn't seriously considered a move to the NBA since the summer of 2000, when the Atlanta Hawks pursued him hard after Michigan State won its only title in the Izzo era. The Spartans, though, have made six trips to the Final Four in the past 12 seasons, establishing Izzo as an East Lansing legend.

Izzo is under contract at Michigan State through 2016 and earns an estimated $3 million annually. There's little doubt Gilbert could double that salary, but the Cavs will remain a franchise in flux until they have a commitment from James that he's re-signing. Interest in Izzo could thus prove to be futile, similar to Cleveland's reported hopes of pursuing Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson or Duke's Mike Krzyzewski.

Gilbert said last week after Ferry's departure that he hopes to have a new coach in place by the start of free agency July 1, but he also acknowledged that filling the job so quickly might not be possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5259123

suitanim
06-07-2010, 10:40 AM
ALL these guys are saying they are staying...that's the nature of the beast. Word is that Ferry is out because he bucked Gilbert, who wants to be more hands-on in pleasing James. That will almost certainly help the Cavs retain LBJ...

I still think the Cavs will make a major play for Calipari, and if they get him, that's the tell-tale sign that James is on-board. My guess is that talks with Izzo are just smoke or maybe a back-up plan...Thibodeau signing in Chicago, IMO, hurts the Bulls chances. Does James really want to play for another defensive minded coach? Izzo sort of fits that mold, too...It looks like at least one source is reporting that the Cavs already made the offer to Izzo, so we'll have to see.

Also, rumor has it that NY is looking at Mike Brown as their next coach...that will kill James chances of playing there.

tony hipchest
06-09-2010, 09:09 AM
LeBron James has no say in coach and GM hires says Cleveland Cavaliers owner

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert said superstar free agent LeBron James will not be consulted during the team's search for a new coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/08/AR2010060805012.html

*gasp* what a slap in the face of the best player in history, hometown hero, super-duper-star.

does anyone really believe this? "bu..bu..bu..the owner said it so it must be true". :sarcasm:

this can only mean one of two things. either the owner is blowing smoke, or they could care less about what james thinks.

wexell.

check.

SteelersinCA
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
LeBron James has no say in coach and GM hires says Cleveland Cavaliers owner

Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert said superstar free agent LeBron James will not be consulted during the team's search for a new coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/08/AR2010060805012.html

*gasp* what a slap in the face of the best player in history, hometown hero, super-duper-star.

does anyone really believe this? "bu..bu..bu..the owner said it so it must be true". :sarcasm:

this can only mean one of two things. either the owner is blowing smoke, or they could care less about what james thinks.

wexell.

check.

I think as great as LBJ is, Dan Gilbert, or any person with that kind of money, is not going to be told what to do with their investment by a person in LBJ's position. LBJ is great and a worldwide icon, but Dan Gilbert is in another echelon of rich. People like that don't go around asking for business advice from people like LBJ. Just not happening. Now are there some discussions about what LBJ would like to see happen, i.e. what kind of help does he expect? Sure. But to say that LBJ has any impact on what coach gets hired is ludicrous. Even if LBJ leaves Cleveland and the Cavs go under, Gilbert will have made his money on this investment.

SteelMember
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I think as great as LBJ is, Dan Gilbert, or any person with that kind of money, is not going to be told what to do with their investment by a person in LBJ's position. LBJ is great and a worldwide icon, but Dan Gilbert is in another echelon of rich. People like that don't go around asking for business advice from people like LBJ. Just not happening. Now are there some discussions about what LBJ would like to see happen, i.e. what kind of help does he expect? Sure. But to say that LBJ has any impact on what coach gets hired is ludicrous. Even if LBJ leaves Cleveland and the Cavs go under, Gilbert will have made his money on this investment.

Agreed.

There is some similar talk here in Atlanta with Joe Johnson. I realize he isn't the caliber of a LBJ, but the thought of having a player influence these types of decisions, especially when he's not signed to the team (I know, LBJ is all but a lock... yada, yada) seems a bit outlandish. Sure, ask their opinion, but don't give him the power to choose when he's not a definite to be there himself. Because you could be left with a coach that wasn't necessarily at the top of your list, and the player walks anyway.

suitanim
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Taking the high road here...

As I stated, Mike Brown is being given serious consideration for the NY job. Even if he's not, he WILL be considered and almost certainly hired by one of the teams currently shopping for a coach. That is one team that is a stone cold, iron clad 100% LOCK to not retain the services of Lebron James.

If the Cavs are taking the Spurs route (which they did to re-sign Tim Duncan) of simply trying to make the organization as strong as possible without the input of the player in question, that's fine. There have also been rumors flying that James has had NO contact at all with the Cavs since the end of the season, which would support that. But I think the proof is in the pudding: Mike Brown was fired in spite of having the best record two years in a row with James approval. Does anyone SERIOUSLY think for a moment that if LBJ went to Gilbert and said "Brown is solid, please keep him" he'd have been fired?

James has a hand in this decision...probably a big one. Gilbert is simply responding and defending against the scuttlebutt that's he's somehow lost control over his organization, which he hasn't. But, if Gilbert ignores James thoughts and input in regards to who his new coach will be, then the Cavs deserve for James to walk. It's not the tail wagging the dog, but you've got to prioritize pleasing the leagues best player.

tony hipchest
06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Does anyone SERIOUSLY think for a moment that if LBJ went to Gilbert and said "Brown is solid, please keep him" he'd have been fired?

James has a hand in this decision...probably a big one.
wrong.

if ben has no influence on retaining arians, im sure the same goes for LeAdvisor.

Speaking at a news conference, Gilbert strongly refuted theories that James has had input on previous hires, the firing of coach Mike Brown and general manager Danny Ferry's recent departure.
"The concept that LeBron James has been involved in any way, shape or form with firing our head coach, involved in the transition to General Manager Chris Grant and will be involved in future coaching decisions and hires is totally, 100 percent and patently false," Gilbert said. "The truth is the truth.

oh, and i totally agree about the cavs deserving for james to walk.

SteelMember
06-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I though there was some similarity. :noidea:

Mike Woodson did nothing but improve the team every year as far as wins , and getting to the playoffs, but that didn't save his job. Getting over the hump "IN" the playoffs was one the biggest reasons. Same as the cavs. Joe Johnson and Josh Smith were both at odds, and unreceptive to Woodson in the playoffs. Isn't that similar to what your saying about LBJ's relationship with his coach?

All I meant was the coach always seems to take the hit in these situations, and it shouldn't be the same disgruntled players being asked how to fix it by influencing the next hire. Rick Sund is trying to squash the same ideas here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I think most of the Free Agency in the NBA is pretty much settled, but they are just waiting for the Finals to finish and then start the media frenzy as per league rules. I think Lebron is gonna stay.

Not sure if Izzo make the jump to the NBA. He apparantly told a group of auto dealers that he wanted to stay at MSU instead of taking $4mil and going to Oregon.....but nothing was said about Cleveland.

SteelersinCA
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
If you have a clash of egos, which could be the possibility in Shitland, Gilbert is going to win.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/54/biz_06rich400_Daniel-Gilbert_LIVH.html
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/lebron-james-net-worth/

Gilbert is 10 times as rich as LBJ, take a minute, sit back and contemplate that. 10 times as rich. If you think Dan Gilbert the guy who went from $5000 from pizza money in college to worth 1.1 billion and rising is letting LBJ or any other monkey he pays to dance for him call the shots, you're crazy. There is a difference between feeling LBJ out, even though Gilbert says no way shape or form and letting him make decisions. Bottom line is, no way in the world someone of Gilbert's status gets bullied into making decisions by someone in LBJs position. Not happening.

suitanim
06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh, the many, many ways are people wrong in this thread…shall we count the ways?

First, Gilbert vs. LBJ wealth. Wrong and wrong. Conservatively, LBJ is worth about 200 mil (as I quoted earlier) just in endorsements. He had a 93 million dollar deal with Nike (which shoots the erroneous 90 million number right out of the water). He also has deals with Microsoft, Upper Deck, Coke, Allstate, et al…that Nike deal was recently re-upped, so it’s safe to assume that deal will be bigger than before.

As for Gilbert, that data is 4 years old...and everyone in Cleveland knows that Gilbert has been off Forbes billionaires list for a couple years now. He writes home loans...in a depressed home buying market in a recession where the average home price has dropped by double digits.

And here’s a link proving the braintrust wrong on James worth...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2008-02-13-lebron-state-farm_N.htm

James, a State Farm customer since 2004, also has deals with Nike (MKE), Coca-Cola (KO), Microsoft (MSFT), Upper Deck and others. Fortune Magazine estimated he has about $170 million in endorsements.

Again, this is conservative because the terms of the new Nike deal are not disclosed...and this data is a couple years old, BEFORE he re-upped the old 7 years 93 million dollar deal with Nike. There are whispers that the new Nike deal itself is several hundred million dollars...

And LOL at Gonzo...I posted the link on that one...asked and answered. Just to run salt in the braintrusts’ collective open wound, here’s a few links. First, the schedule of the show:

http://www.cleveland.com/autoshow/index.ssf/2008/01/event_schedule.html

Then the report FROM the show:
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/bill_cowher_is_a_hit_in_clevel.html

…and a bonus link from the PPG.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07175/796764-87.stm

And why not pile on? Here’s Terry Pluto, Purlitzer prize nominated Cleveland sports writer and author of several books on Cleveland sports on the James/Gilbert situation.

http://blog.cleveland.com/plutoblog_impact/lebron_james/rss.xml

Granted, there’s a lot of information here, and it’ll be tough for people who “know more” to listen to someone who actually has his pulse on the situation, but, well, there it all is…

tony hipchest
06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
checkmate.

Oh, the many, many ways are people wrong in this thread…shall we count the ways?

sure.

James has a hand in this decision...probably a big one. .

WRONG! lmao. as for the rest of the gibberish and deflection/diversion and blogwriters and cowher speaking schedules, it doesnt hide that YOU ARE WRONG!

jim wexell > some random clevelaaand "sports" hack who happens to have a blog. :rofl:

suitanim
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Wexell is a fuckin' piker compared to Pluto...

http://www.terrypluto.com/

Triple fail, and bad even by the uber low standards of bad prevailing in your garbage posting, Bunker....

I'll wait for the better elements (relative, of course) of the braintrust to reply...if they can. This is pretty much game set, and match...

SteelersinCA
06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Maybe someone needs a lessons on pay vs net worth.

'For an individual, the value of a person's assets, including cash, minus all liabilities. The amount by which the individual's assets exceed their liabilities is considered the net worth of that person.'

Topping out at 190 mil in endorsements does not mean he is worth 190 mil.

But the numbers gave is just a diversion from the truth. No one in Gilbert's position is getting told what to do by someone in LBJs.

suitanim
06-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe someone needs a lessons on pay vs net worth.

'For an individual, the value of a person's assets, including cash, minus all liabilities. The amount by which the individual's assets exceed their liabilities is considered the net worth of that person.'

Topping out at 190 mil in endorsements does not mean he is worth 190 mil.

But the numbers gave is just a diversion from the truth. No one in Gilbert's position is getting told what to do by someone in LBJs.

Good point...in fact, James' worth is probably already approaching a billion, which is his goal (and I know what the numbers are...and how net worth versus gross worth is factored)...and this data is old, too...

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/28/news/newsmakers/lebron_james.fortune/index3.htm

Other than that, nothing from either of you worth noting. Other than the usual telling me I'm wrong, whether I am or not...

Oh, just as an aside, this article was "The Power 25" or the most powerful 25 people in business from Fortune magazine. Lebron was the only athlete featured. Dan Gilbert was nowhere to be seen.

Ask 10 people on the street in the US who Dan Gilbert is, and 3 might know. Ask 10 about LBJ and nine will. Go to Brazil, or China, or South Africa and repeat the same. 1 out of ten for Gilbert, and probably 7 out of 10 for LBJ.

I'm sorry you guys are biased and angry at me, but it does nothing to change the facts...James has a say in his next coach.

tony hipchest
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Wexell is a fuckin' piker compared to Pluto...

http://www.terrypluto.com/

Triple fail, and bad even by the uber low standards of bad prevailing in your garbage posting, Bunker....

I'll wait for the better elements (relative, of course) of the braintrust to reply...if they can. This is pretty much game set, and match...

homer.

you can take your link and flush it. i dont care about cleveland. i dont care about cleveland sports, and i most certainly dont care about some cleveland hack whos word you take as gospel. if he were so great he wouldnt be writing about the browns, indians, and cavs.

even peter king was smart enough to get out of that shithole cincinnatti.

what i do appreciate is the connundrum you are faced with and the stance that now has you painted in a corner.

cavs owner > pluto piker

:lol: oh and wexell still knows 1,000,000X more than you about the steelers and THAT is what ultimately matters the most on a steelers board.

you were owned in this thread. time to move on to something new.

tony hipchest
06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry you guys are biased and angry at me, but it does nothing to change the facts...James has a say in his next coach.

Speaking at a news conference, Gilbert strongly refuted theories that James has had input on previous hires, the firing of coach Mike Brown and general manager Danny Ferry's recent departure.
"The concept that LeBron James has been involved in any way, shape or form with firing our head coach, involved in the transition to General Manager Chris Grant and will be involved in future coaching decisions and hires is totally, 100 percent and patently false," Gilbert said. "The truth is the truth.

-the owner of the cleveland cavaliers

run along now with your squeaky red nose, rainbow afro wig, and ovesized red honking shoes.

be sure not to trip or you may make us laugh even more. :rofl:

http://galleryoffunctionalart.com/buckingham/images/whap_resize.jpg

suitanim
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaawn....

Any intelligent posts from the upper tier of the braintrust are welcomed. Any actual logical and factual disputing of the facts will be refreshing as well...I'm pretty much done with the third string...in fact, I feel a little low and dirty having responded to the dimmest and lowest at all....

tony hipchest
06-09-2010, 08:49 PM

http://galleryoffunctionalart.com/buckingham/images/whap_resize.jpg

http://mat.ellis.name/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/clown.jpeg

SteelersinCA
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Good point...in fact, James' worth is probably already approaching a billion, which is his goal (and I know what the numbers are...and how net worth versus gross worth is factored)...and this data is old, too...

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/28/news/newsmakers/lebron_james.fortune/index3.htm

Other than that, nothing from either of you worth noting. Other than the usual telling me I'm wrong, whether I am or not...

Oh, just as an aside, this article was "The Power 25" or the most powerful 25 people in business from Fortune magazine. Lebron was the only athlete featured. Dan Gilbert was nowhere to be seen.

Ask 10 people on the street in the US who Dan Gilbert is, and 3 might know. Ask 10 about LBJ and nine will. Go to Brazil, or China, or South Africa and repeat the same. 1 out of ten for Gilbert, and probably 7 out of 10 for LBJ.

This isn't a question of fame. Notoriety is not an issue at all. I guarantee if you look at the world's 50 most wealthy men, the average person on the street wont know 45 of them. I'm not sure what that proves when we are talking about who has the power. LBJ is the face of the organization, Gilbert is the money.

That article says the road to 1 billion, not that he is even sniffing it yet. 190 mil is a far cry from 1 billion. Surely you can see that? I'm not biased or angry at you, maybe I just know that people with that kind of money don't listen to people who work for them when it comes to strategic decisions about their investments. I'm sure middle management loves to think the CEO listens to the suggestion box, but that doesn't make it so.

suitanim
06-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm trying to be patient here...This was 3 years ago...
http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/14/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm

Beyond that qualification, Carter said James is very interested in putting his money to work for him, rather than just look to income from pay and endorsements to build his net worth.

In March he announced that he had bought a stake of undisclosed size in privately-held, high-end bicycle maker Cannondale. Carter says James also has lower profile investments in a number of business start ups and in real estate.

"It's impossible to get to a billion dollars by endorsement deals," said Carter. "The biggest deals only take you so far. It's how you make money when you're asleep that's going to get you there."

Cavs James team...
http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2010/06/cleveland_cavaliers_are_lebron.html

Maybe half, maybe more of Gilbert's net worth IS the Cavs.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/32/biz_07nba_Cleveland-Cavaliers_324902.html

LeBron alone boosts Cavs value by 100 million...
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/06/lebrons-100-million-impact-on-the-cleveland-cavaliers/?partner=whiteglove_yahoo

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey, it appears that the Cavs have a "Brain Trust" too. Any of you guys in on that one??

Although Izzo, Scott and Van Gundy are at the top of the Cavs' list, the team has a handful of other candidates on its radar as well, according to league sources.

Some members of the Cavaliers' brain trust are not sold on Izzo and would prefer to consider candidates with NBA experience before settling on the Spartans' coach.

"Whether LeBron stays or not is the million-dollar question, I'm sure, for Tom," said South Florida coach Stan Heath,
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5268981

SteelersinCA
06-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey, it appears that the Cavs have a "Brain Trust" too. Any of you guys in on that one??

Although Izzo, Scott and Van Gundy are at the top of the Cavs' list, the team has a handful of other candidates on its radar as well, according to league sources.

Some members of the Cavaliers' brain trust are not sold on Izzo and would prefer to consider candidates with NBA experience before settling on the Spartans' coach.

"Whether LeBron stays or not is the million-dollar question, I'm sure, for Tom," said South Florida coach Stan Heath,
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5268981

The thing I don't get is why would Lebron want an unproven college coach in Izzo or a proven loser of a coach at the NBA level in calipari? If that's the case, maybe Gilbert is right in not listening to him.

suitanim
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Dribble Drive Motion offense? Maybe LBJ likes the idea of no offensive plays...

Also, Calipari had a little success with New Jersey...they made the playoffs one year. He was in the league at a bad time, and it wasn't a great time for the Nets either. Calipari makes infinitely more sense than Izzo, as he has a few years in the NBA and one year as Larry Brown's assistant. Izzo is 100% through and through a college coach....I never put much stock in this Izzo stuff anyway. i just think it's a red herring to divert attention away from other things the Cavs have cooking...

Mach1
06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Also, Calipari had a little success with New Jersey...they made the playoffs one year. He was in the league at a bad time, and it wasn't a great time for the Nets either. Calipari makes infinitely more sense than Izzo, as he has a few years in the NBA and one year as Larry Brown's assistant. Izzo is 100% through and through a college coach....I never put much stock in this Izzo stuff anyway. i just think it's a red herring to divert attention away from other things the Cavs have cooking...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/310120/news_lebron-james-check-my-stats-1.jpg

suitanim
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Thank you for your in-depth analysis and invaluable contribution to the discussion.

SteelersinCA
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Ok, but word is Izzo is taking the job. I mean this in all seriousness, if Izzo indeed is offered and accepts the job, do you still believe LBJ had input into that hiring? If so, why would he want Izzo?

suitanim
06-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I honestly have no idea. They know each other through Nike. The real word is that no one knows anything, other than Izzo is taking a close look. He said just last week (and emphatically, I might add) that he would not leave MSU until the won another championship. Gilbert is being secretive...BUT they have also talked with Byron Scott, and may have, in fact, even gone as far as interviewing him.

There are more than a few reports floating around that Izzo is (wisely) waiting on James. I have to believe that James approval, and NOT FA decision, since they honestly cannot wait that long to hire a a coach. This sums it up nicely and has some info from someone close to Izzo...

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/09/tom-izzos-future-might-be-decided-by-lebron-james/

SteelersinCA
06-11-2010, 10:43 AM
That's the rub, I can't see anyone taking the job without some sort of confirmation that LBJ is staying.

suitanim
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Which moves us BACK to square one...If they hire a coach prior to "Le Tour", it almost HAS to be with the tacit approval of LBJ...meaning he's staying.

If they wait, it means the Cavs have no idea either way, and James probably has no say.

It's complicated...who wants the job without LBJ? Probably any assistant in the league would take it, but no marquee coach is going to take the gig and then be baited and switched if and when James bails. So, James has a big say in this process one way or the other (directly or indirectly)...if they sign some no-name assistant, that action alone could prompt him to walk, and Gilbert will watch 1/5 to 1/4 of the worth of his team (which accounts for 1/2 or more of his total worth) evaporate in one day.

I don't think LeBron is lording over Gilbert. But the owner most definitely has to be giving very careful and deliberate consideration as to how his actions over the next 2-3 weeks will impact the next 10 years of the franchise, both in net worth as well as ability to compete in the NBA. It's also important to note that one of the reasons that Ferry left was the fact that Gilbert wants to be more involved in the day-to-day, and maybe even play-by-play actions of the team. A guy that hands-on is certainly going to place very high priority on pleasing the heart and soul of his team.

SteelersinCA
06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree with your last paragraph, but a hands on owner is never good. I also agree James has a huge indirect say which is a far cry from direct input. I think Izzo is more a product of Gilbert's Michigan ties than any tie to LBJ.

suitanim
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Now the media is creating "a frayed relationship" between the Cavs and James.

Guess the story, as is, isn't sexy enough already...

suitanim
06-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Now Izzo is basically saying he will only take the job if James will indicate to him personally that he'll be back.

That's smart...if I was him, I'd stick on that point. He's going to be challenged enough as it is making the transition...but doing it without James will really stack the deck against him.

suitanim
06-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Izzo takes a pass. He reached out to James, James did not answer. To me, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement from LBJ. So, whether or not he has a say, his lack of words on Izzo either way seemed to speak volumes to Izzo himself...which in and of itself means he had a pretty big impact on who will NOT be coaching him if he stays.

SteelMember
06-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Izzo has a pretty sweet deal already.

A couple extra million probably wasn't enough to lure him away from his comfort zone.

suitanim
06-16-2010, 08:56 AM
He makes 3 million a year.

The Cavs were offering 6. The money was there to make the move...this is ALL about James. He's either not coming back and can't tip his hand (which he would have had to do if he'd have returned Izzo's call), or didn't want Izzo as his coach.

SteelersinCA
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
The opposite is also true, which earlier reports seemed to indicate LBJ would be supportive of Izzo being hired to coach the Cavs, he's not coming back.

suitanim
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Which is what I said: He's either not coming back, or he doesn't like Izzo as his HC. IF it's the latter, he just decided who was NOT going to be coaching him. Time will tell...and that's the beauty of all these debates. Jordan didn't win his first championship for 7 years, but he also played college ball. James is young.

Regardless of where he goes (if he goes), I'll still support him. I think he's potentially the greatest basketball player the World has ever known...and he grew up 10 minutes from where I was born, AND he didn't disparage where he's from at any time. That counts for a lot....

X-Terminator
06-17-2010, 09:22 AM
This thread was moving along nicely until the personal attacks started once again. Any more such posts will be deleted on sight. Let's keep this discussion clean.

suitanim
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
People never learn...they shouldn't poke the bear.

Anyway, the latest: During the Dan Patrick interview, Izzo hinted that his own loyalty to East Lansing kept him from signing on with the Cavs, and he also stated that he thinks James is being "tugged by the same thing". He also heard lot's of positives from people in James camp. Dan Patrick asked him point blank if he thought James was staying and Izzo said he thought he was.

So it looks like Izzo gave it serious consideration and simply decided that, James or no James, he just wanted to stay in college ball. He also made it clear that this was the very last time he'd take a look at the NBA. BUT not knowing what was going to happen was the ultimate factor in his decision, so in that regard, LBJ had a direct influence on the hiring (or not, in this case) of his possible next coach...at least according to Izzo himself...

HometownGal
06-17-2010, 03:15 PM
This thread was moving along nicely until the personal attacks started once again. Any more such posts will be deleted on sight. Let's keep this discussion clean.

I'm out of town on vacation for a couple of days and come back to this shit again. Jesus Christ - it's beyond the point of being ridiculous anymore.

Folks - the vendetta that was created on the board whose name shall not be mentioned is NOT going to carry over here. No fucking way, no fucking how. I adore all of you, but the shit is going to stop or some heads are going to roll around here. Yes - we are more lenient than that other place but this ongoing fued and suck up bullshit is not conducive to the health and growth of this board and your behaviors are not only unacceptable, but childish.

Get over yourselves or buy a couple of voodoo dolls and prick away.

Please - let's end this juvenile lunacy, k?

suitanim
06-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Hey...it's like I said. People take a stick and poke a bear, KNOWING it's a bear, then act all surprised when the bear bites them, and get all weepy and "victimmy"...

The solution is simple: Don't personally attack me, and I won't retaliate. I promise not to launch any preemptive attacks, so that should bury the matter forever. After all, there's only one of me, and a half a dozen (give or take) of them, so as long as my side (read: Me) holds up my end of the bargain, this is over.

As far as this thread, I moved it back onto the topic...

HometownGal
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Hey...it's like I said. People take a stick and poke a bear, KNOWING it's a bear, then act all surprised when the bear bites them, and get all weepy and "victimmy"...

The solution is simple: Don't personally attack me, and I won't retaliate. I promise not to launch any preemptive attacks, so that should bury the matter forever. After all, there's only one of me, and a half a dozen (give or take) of them, so as long as my side (read: Me) holds up my end of the bargain, this is over.

As far as this thread, I moved it back onto the topic...

Thank you suit. :drink:

X-Terminator
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Thank you suit. :drink:

Ditto. :drink:

tony hipchest
06-19-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm out of town on vacation for a couple of days and come back to this shit again.

damn. me too. :dang: looks like i missed some pretty good deleted posts.

so it looks like izzo bailed out.

which in and of itself means he had a pretty big impact on who will NOT be coaching him if he stays.

of course this is false.

the owner of the cleveland cavaliers came out and said as much. the owners word (or FO) is final. its like gospel... there is no debating this point.

SteelersinCA
06-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I was gone a few days, I don't think I attacked anyone, if so, apologies.

Shea
06-20-2010, 11:23 PM
I was gone a few days, I don't think I attacked anyone, if so, apologies.

No, you didn't do anything wrong. Someone jumped in and did defend you though.

Turns out they are just a whorshipping dolt though. :hail:

:behindsofa: :wink02:

HometownGal
06-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Back on topic, please. :pray:

suitanim
06-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Izzo reached out to Lebron. Lebron failed to reach back. In essence, LBJ's silence was deafening.

Nadroj 20
06-27-2010, 03:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5333896

According to this LeBron is leaning toward Chicago.

GitNoLuv
06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think Lebron is "leaning" in any direction. I believe he is weighing all of his options.

That being said, Chicago is a bad fit for him because he plays a similar game to Rose (slash to the basket...although it's more like a rhinoceros in LBJ's case) and either find the open man or finish. Both Rose and LBJ need to have better shooters around them to maximize their talents...and Rose/LBJ are not exactly great shooters.

Nadroj 20
06-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't think Lebron is "leaning" in any direction. I believe he is weighing all of his options.

That being said, Chicago is a bad fit for him because he plays a similar game to Rose (slash to the basket...although it's more like a rhinoceros in LBJ's case) and either find the open man or finish. Both Rose and LBJ need to have better shooters around them to maximize their talents...and Rose/LBJ are not exactly great shooters.

Yea i dont think Chicago is the best place for him either, but more because of the living up to Jordan and being compared to him with everything he does. Thats kind of already the case but it would increase big time if he plays for the same team as MJ.

But that executive saying "I think its a done deal" does keep my interest.....

GitNoLuv
06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Yea i dont think Chicago is the best place for him either, but more because of the living up to Jordan and being compared to him with everything he does. Thats kind of already the case but it would increase big time if he plays for the same team as MJ.

But that executive saying "I think its a done deal" does keep my interest.....

Yeah, I ignore the playing under MJ's shadow...because the converse argument (why else did he change his number from 23 to 6) would come up. It's not one anybody can win. I take James' word at face value til he's proven he doesn't deserve his word to be taken at face value.

As far as "executives" go...give me a few minutes of effort...and I am sure I can find you just as many "sources" that indicate he's staying in Cleveland, going to Miami, going to the Clippers, sign and trade with Dallas...and I'm sure there's another I've forgotten about.

Nadroj 20
06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I ignore the playing under MJ's shadow...because the converse argument (why else did he change his number from 23 to 6) would come up. It's not one anybody can win. I take James' word at face value til he's proven he doesn't deserve his word to be taken at face value.

As far as "executives" go...give me a few minutes of effort...and I am sure I can find you just as many "sources" that indicate he's staying in Cleveland, going to Miami, going to the Clippers, sign and trade with Dallas...and I'm sure there's another I've forgotten about.

Yea you are right about that

xX-TSK-Xx
06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
If LeBron leaves Cleveland, does anyone else think he becomes public enemy number one in the state of Ohio. I think he might get so much hate for giving up on the Cavs that he will have a hard time returning to Akron even. I'll probably lose respect for him if he leaves.

SteelersinCA
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Why? He's been with the Cavs seven years and hasn't won a championship. Does he have to suffer his whole career to earn Ohio's respect? I think that's insane. If he's smart he leaves; Akron is his home not Cleveland. Cleveland didn't claim Akron until LBJ came along, it's not a suburb and nobody living in Cleveland gave a shit about Akron until LBJ. LBJ doesn't give a shit about Cleveland either, he loves Akron. Akron is his home and his love.

GitNoLuv
06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
If LeBron leaves Cleveland, does anyone else think he becomes public enemy number one in the state of Ohio. I think he might get so much hate for giving up on the Cavs that he will have a hard time returning to Akron even. I'll probably lose respect for him if he leaves.

Naw...this isn't like Art Modell stealing a franchise away from the city and shipping it to Baltimore. Lebron still needs to do what's best for Lebron...and I am fairly confident that Lebron would continue to host various functions/charities for Akron if he left.

venom
07-01-2010, 07:42 AM
This looks just about right,,,,, I can dream can't I ? lol

http://hoopsworld4.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/lebron-in-knicks-uniform.jpg

xX-TSK-Xx
07-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Thats a pretty big dream. Knicks are probably behind Cleveland, Chicago, New Jersey and Miami in the LeBron sweepstakes.

Nadroj 20
07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Byron Scott (http://http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/01/cavs.scott.accepts.ap/?ls=iref:nbahpt1) is the new coach of the cavs.

The Duke
07-01-2010, 01:02 PM
This looks just about right,,,,, I can dream can't I ? lol

http://hoopsworld4.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/lebron-in-knicks-uniform.jpg

Hey, a fellow knicks fan :wave:

I still have my doubts it happens though....

tony hipchest
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
question-

has there been a moratorium placed on speaking freely about the ultra douchbaggery of labron james around here?

BSPN is having a 3 hour sportscenter special leading up to his hour long thursday primetime (longtime most coveted spot in television) announcement special?

talk about making yourself bigger than the game. :doh:

i get that this is the biggest story in the world right now, which leads me to even more astonishment there has been no outrage or even a comment on this board.

its bigger than obama, BP oil spill, even netherlands/spain in the world cup.

i can only imagine the reaction if brett favre pulled this money grabbin stunt. or worse yet, brady, kobe, a-rod, ovetchkin, or jeter.

what gives? (and save me the "he's doing it for charity" BS, which is nothing more than an income tax write off.)

SteelersinCA
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
question-

has there been a moratorium placed on speaking freely about the ultra douchbaggery of labron james around here?

BSPN is having a 3 hour sportscenter special leading up to his hour long thursday primetime (longtime most coveted spot in television) announcement special?

talk about making yourself bigger than the game. :doh:

i get that this is the biggest story in the world right now, which leads me to even more astonishment there has been no outrage or even a comment on this board.

its bigger than obama, BP oil spill, even netherlands/spain in the world cup.

i can only imagine the reaction if brett favre pulled this money grabbin stunt. or worse yet, brady, kobe, a-rod, ovetchkin, or jeter.

what gives? (and save me the "he's doing it for charity" BS, which is nothing more than an income tax write off.)

Some have expressed disappointment in the other thread, but I don't think that many really give a shit, it is the NBA after all.

tony hipchest
07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Some have expressed disappointment in the other thread, but I don't think that many really give a shit, it is the NBA after all.

what "other thread"?

you mean labron james discussions arent contained in labron james threads? dont tell me LBJ talk is infecting every other basketball thread on this board! :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocV5bGHdYag

anyways, i know its just NBA but if you watch ESPN (or tune into just about any other media outlet) you would think that Jesus Christ's return was being broadcast live on television, or even more remarkable, that it was a presidential election, and a black man who wasnt even a citizen had been elected.

Wallace108
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
"Hey megalomaniac
You're no Jesus
Yeah, you're no
Fu**in' Elvis."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyHA1aRbHgg&feature=PlayList&p=3FDB6EE4599596E0&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=21

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Meh, I honestly hope he stays in Cleveland now. Bosh, Wade, Boozer, Stoudamire are all signed up, so its the Cavs with Byron Scott and most of the same supporting cast that has failed the past few years in the playoffs.

Man, I liked the Mark Price, Brad Doherty, John Williams, Ron Harper, Craig Ehlo era Cavs. Fun to watch. Now James is gonna be surrounded by the same chumps and maybe get ray Felton. Same old sorry ass Cavs.

tony hipchest
07-07-2010, 11:54 PM
not sure if you know this, but brad doherty is absolutely superb as a NASCAR analyst on ESPN. not doing so bad as the owner of a team either. not quite the crossover success as joe gibbs, but still...

i think i read in one of these basketball threads here (it was probably in the RIP j. wooden thread) a poster saying that labron wouldnt go through this whole televised PPV inauguration speech/hour long special, if he were gonna kick cleveland to the curb.

i tend to agree.

i too, am starting to hope he remains in cleveland. the city is cursed and he will never win a championship there. it almost makes him easier to root for as one of the greatest players who is also a lovable loser.

plus he will always have his fame and fortune and when bill russell and magic die, he can easily afford all of their rings at auction. when all is said and done, he can probably afford to buy a team that already has a trophy in the case that he can sleep with every night if he wishes.

i will still enjoy watching him play (much like brett favre) no matter where he lands or how he gets there, even if it is for the hated knicks or in that craphole cleveland.

suitanim
07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Hmmmm...gotta wrap up a loose end here.

If LBJ has this thing on ESPN and leaves Cleveland, it'll be a huge kick in the teeth to the people of NE Ohio. It will make sense to have the hype-fest if, and ONLY if, he decides to stay. He'll need the hour to explain why he did what he did so the people of NY, Miami and Chicago still welcome him. He already hangs out in those places and he won't want to lose that connection. Nothing he can say in 6 hours will ever make the people of Ohio forgive him for leaving. This will be like "the fumble" and "the drive" all over again.

If he goes to Miami, he'll also add validity to the argument some make (which is absolute garbage, total gutter logic, seeing as he's still only 25) that he's nothing without a title. There are several great players on Bostons squad that went forever without winning anything. They aren't any lessor players because of it. It's a combination of hatred and jealousy only that sparks arguments like that.

If he joins Bosh and Wade with the Heat, he'll be admitting he can't do it on his own. Jordan needed Pippen, and Kobe needed Shaq (and now he has several quality players around him) to win, while LeBron was going it on his own for the most part. He still needs his Pippen, but Jordan didn't have Pippen AND Magic Johnson...it's almost unfair, stacking the deck like that. He'll definitely win titles in Miami if he goes but those titles will be diminished, and will diminish him.

Regardless, I'm glad the insanity is almost over.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Chris Broussard is really putting his neck out on the line with this one. He has been reporting since late last night LeBron was set to go to Miami. With as much as these "sources" change the location of LeBron's team next year, I won't really believe it untill he makes the "Decision".

Another rumor going around is LeBrom was able to land Chris Paul in a trade and will announce his departure from the Hornetts.

In my opinion Paul/James > Wade/Bosh.

Nadroj 20
07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
The Heat went and resigned Wade and got Bosh. New York went and got Amar'e and have david lee (for now anyway). Chicago got Boozer and already has rose and noah. What has cleveland done to keep him?

SteelersinCA
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I think he's already diminished his legacy by being such a prima donna. I think Miami is a terrible fit and unless these guys take millions off their contracts won't have the cap room to bring in anyone of substance to win a title. I think saying they are a lock for titles is tremendously shortsighted. I think Chicago is marginally better than the fit in Miami, but at least they are a young up and coming team which will have quality players around him. If he really cared about the Cavs, he's a moron for doing this to them. Since 2004 he's been holding them hostage making them waste money on overpaid old guys when they could have been building a championship team. He made them feel like they had to go and do it this year.

Consequently, what's left for the Cavs? Who do they get to help LBJ compete? There isn't really anyone left. They now have to contend with a greatly improved Chicago team, a greatly improved Heat team, a Celtics team that while older is not much different and a Magic team for which they now have no answer for Howard. I can't see Cleveland being a smart choice for him, simply because he handcuffed them into not being a smart choice.

Lebron's legacy will be how he screwed himself out of being the greatest ever.

venom
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
The Miami 3rd Degree Burn . As of 3:30pm , NY talk radio is reporting that LeBron is going to the Heat . We'll see .

suitanim
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Chris Broussard is really putting his neck out on the line with this one. He has been reporting since late last night LeBron was set to go to Miami. With as much as these "sources" change the location of LeBron's team next year, I won't really believe it untill he makes the "Decision".

Another rumor going around is LeBrom was able to land Chris Paul in a trade and will announce his departure from the Hornetts.

In my opinion Paul/James > Wade/Bosh.

Well, where there's smoke...
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/02/chris-paul-trade-rumors-could-be-the-next-talk-of-the-town/

There is also a rumor that Paul left Octagon and signed on with James' agency, which would also an interesting corollary to all this. And there is no doubt that Paul/James >>> Wade/Bosh.

The fact is, LBJ will need help to win his title. I still like Jamison as a Cav, and Shaq was open to staying (for less money). If James stays, I'd like to see Hickson on board as well. Anthony Parker and Andy are hustlers, and I'd like to see what Telfair can bring to the table when healthy. Other that that, I'm not attached to any particular players currently on the roster. If James stays it will be interesting to see what moves they make this year to solidify the team. If he leaves, it pretty much leaves all 3 major sports teams in Cleveland looking forward to (in the Browns and Indians cases, at best) .500 seasons next year.

It seems there is confirmation that he's rented a bunch of Cabana's in Miami for a big blowout this weekend on South Beach, so maybe he is headed to Miami.

Honestly, I would. The taxes in Ohio are too high, and the weather sucks 4-5 months out of the year.

As far as the Heat as a good fit, well, Jesus, it's a no-brainer. Wade and Bosh alone make the Heat instant contenders, and the X-factor of having the leagues best player along for the ride seals the deal. Wade can pretty much do it all, including dish the ball, and Bosh is a scoring and rebounding machine. I don't buy the argument that there are too many egos, as these guys are friends and this was a plan they had in mind all along. Also, the whole "There's only on ball" thing is off as well. The 3 guys are different enough that there's a roll for all 3. They could literally create a dynasty for the next 6-7 years. Toss in the Riley factor, and I ask, who will beat them? And how?

Mach1
07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm sure Wade can teach him how not to quit in a game.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
The Miami 3rd Degree Burn . As of 3:30pm , NY talk radio is reporting that LeBron is going to the Heat . We'll see .

They're reporting that he has book 30+ rooms in Miami for his party. What a narcissist.

tony hipchest
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
They're reporting that he has book 30+ rooms in Miami for his party. What a narcissist.

smokescreen. it certainly seems like that with all preliminary reports saying he's going there.

hes in NY/Conn for melo's wedding.

it seems to good to be true that he would nuke millions of clevelandites in an hour long primetime special. i still have a feeling he is setting up the media, and letting cleveland get a little taste of what it would be like w/o him.

i'll believe hes gone when hes gone.

tony hipchest
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
is the whole miami thing a ruse?-

Adam_Schefter (https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)
RT @EthanJSkolnick (https://twitter.com/EthanJSkolnick): Heat pulled its Welcome LeBron ad from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Confirmed.

suitanim
07-08-2010, 08:28 PM
LBJ to Miami. Ohio not happy right now...

steeldawg
07-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Anytime someone drops a bomb on cleveland it makes me smile

SteelersinCA
07-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Anytime someone drops a bomb on cleveland it makes me smile

I love watching that shit hole suffer.

tony hipchest
07-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm sure Wade can teach him how not to quit in a game.

true dat. ...or series.

and if not, atleast the LeFishing is much better in miami than in the mistake by the lake.

SteelersinCA
07-08-2010, 09:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM&feature=related
Shit never gets old, hahahaha F cleveland!!!

venom
07-08-2010, 09:22 PM
http://cdn.holytaco.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/cleveland_steamer2.jpg

venom
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Whats the worst thing that ever happened to the city of Cleveland ?

The drive
The fumble
Red right 88
The shot
Jose Mesa
The betrayal
The mistake on the lake
http://www.barminggraphics.net/1159/images/children_laughing.jpg

silver & black
07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Whats the worst thing that ever happened to the city of Cleveland ?

The drive
The fumble
Red right 88
The shot
Jose Mesa
The betrayal
The mistake on the lake
http://www.barminggraphics.net/1159/images/children_laughing.jpg

I loved Red Right 88... but Jose Messup broke my heart!

silver & black
07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
true dat. ...or series.

and if not, atleast the LeFishing is much better in miami than in the mistake by the lake.

Don't bet on it. Lake Erie is one of the best fisheries in the country.

steelerdude15
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
No way do the Cavs have an edge, since LeBron will be leaving, what way do they have to win anything. James was the king on that team, James was the supporting cast on that team, James was the team.

Edman
07-08-2010, 10:35 PM
So, not only is Lebron a defector, he's a liar too.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
No way do the Cavs have an edge, since LeBron will be leaving, what way do they have to win anything. James was the king on that team, James was the supporting cast on that team, James was the team.

He won' t be "king" on his new team it will be interesting to see how many times he "quits" on them.