PDA

View Full Version : Divisional Playoffs: Jaguars Round 2

Edman
01-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Big Ben gets his wish. The Jaguars are returning to Pittsburgh, where they humilated the Steelers back in October. 30-9, and Ben had one of the worst games of his career as he was picked 5 times and Pick Sixed twice. Ironically, it wasn't "Sacksonville" that did the Steelers in, it was their secondary that ruined Ben's day. No doubt Jacksonville will try the same strategy again. Stack the box to stop Bell, lure Ben into throwing and jump the routes.

Their Defense is ferocious, and one of the main reasons why they should be feared, but Bortles is not very good. Fournette ripped the Run D apart as well, with a game-sealing 90 yarder. Jacksonville caught Pittsburgh right in the nadir of their early-season doldrums when the Offense was finding itself. The Steelers are a far better team now than they were then, but we'll see.

This game will be held in check thanks to the Jags Defense alone though, they're that good.

teegre
01-07-2018, 04:47 PM
The Jaguars offense only scored 9 points last time.

On the last TD (90 yards), the Steelers HAD to sell out, in order to try to force a punt. With all 11 defenders in the box, once Fournette slipped through the line, it was 85 yards to pay dirt. That’s a misleading 7 points.

The two pick-sixes accounted for the final 14 points.

SUMMATION:
9 points

st33lersguy
01-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Game time will be 1pm unless there's a forecast for ice, then the game will be moved to Sunday night

teegre
01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Game time will be 1pm unless there's a forecast for ice, then the game will be moved to Sunday night

Interesting. Wouldn’t the ice be worse at night??? (I’m really asking, because I left that area of the country before I understood such things.)

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-07-2018, 04:54 PM
The Jaguars offense only scored 9 points last time.

On the last TD (90 yards), the Steelers HAD to sell out, in order to try to force a punt. With all 11 defenders in the box, once Fournette slipped through the line, it was 85 yards to pay dirt. That’s a misleading 7 points.

The two pick-sixes accounted for the final 14 points.

SUMMATION:
9 points So we need to come out of the gate firing and score 10 points and then play Bill Cowher ball the rest of the game. Not a bad strategy.

Hawkman
01-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Interesting. Wouldn’t the ice be worse at night??? (I’m really asking, because I left that area of the country before I understood such things.)

Could be ice in the morning, and take a while to melt, possibly being better by evening. At least roads will have been salted.

vader29
01-07-2018, 04:55 PM

teegre
01-07-2018, 04:58 PM
So we need to come out of the gate firing and score 10 points and then play Bill Cowher ball the rest of the game. Not a bad strategy.

As Chris Berman once said about the AFC North: they play blackjack.

14... hit me.
17... hit me.
20... HOLD!!!

(Yes, 10 points might actually do it.)

01-07-2018, 05:05 PM
As Chris Berman once said about the AFC North: they play blackjack.

14... hit me.
17... hit me.
20... HOLD!!!

(Yes, 10 points might actually do it.) After watching today's game I don't doubt it. Plus Bill Cowher ball will probably get us 2 field goals to add to our 10 point score. Ps. you are rocking the analogies today!!

Iron Steeler
01-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Sell out on stopping fournette. Man to man coverage the wide outs.

Offense spread them wide. And run with 3-4 wide receiver sets. If BEN gets into a groove let him get in the hurry up.

I feel like if we can get a 2 score lead early it will make it easier on our defense , bc now we are forcing Bortles to beat us.

polamalubeast
01-07-2018, 07:22 PM
I do not want our defense to give the easy big passing play(and blown coverage) that our defense has given in the second half of the season.

Stopping the run, yes, but not to be too vulnerable against the pass.

Hawkman
01-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Play more Hargrave.

Shoes
01-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Bortles turn to throw five picks. Ben will throw 5 TD's!

01-07-2018, 08:08 PM
The Jax D is good but far from the likes of the Ravens back in 2,000 where they was able to win a SB with Dilfer. They can only go so far with Bortles and their run ends next Sunday. I mentioned earlier the Bills wr's and te's drop a ton of passes and if not, think they wouldn't even got past them.

teegre
01-07-2018, 09:32 PM
The Jax D is good but far from the likes of the Ravens back in 2,000 where they was able to win a SB with Dilfer. They can only go so far with Bortles and their run ends next Sunday. I mentioned earlier the Bills wr's and te's drop a ton of passes and if not, think they wouldn't even got past them.

Plus, the Bills out-thought themselves.

First-&-goal from the 1.
They have Shady McCoy.
So...
They pass three times. :doh:

01-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Plus, the Bills out-thought themselves.

First-&-goal from the 1.
They have Shady McCoy.
So...
They pass three times. :doh: I blame Haley!

SteelerFanInStl
01-07-2018, 09:39 PM
I blame Haley!

LOL! It was such a Haley thing to do.

Shoes
01-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Blake Bortles completed 12 of 23 passes for 87 yards and a touchdown against the Bills.

StillCurtains
01-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Big Ben gets his wish. The Jaguars are returning to Pittsburgh, where they humilated the Steelers back in October. 30-9, and Ben had one of the worst games of his career as he was picked 5 times and Pick Sixed twice. Ironically, it wasn't "Sacksonville" that did the Steelers in, it was their secondary that ruined Ben's day. No doubt Jacksonville will try the same strategy again. Stack the box to stop Bell, lure Ben into throwing and jump the routes.

Their Defense is ferocious, and one of the main reasons why they should be feared, but Bortles is not very good. Fournette ripped the Run D apart as well, with a game-sealing 90 yarder. Jacksonville caught Pittsburgh right in the nadir of their early-season doldrums when the Offense was finding itself. The Steelers are a far better team now than they were then, but we'll see.

This game will be held in check thanks to the Jags Defense alone though, they're that good.

This is a Steelers team that can really come out fresh and ready to go. They know what this team is capable of doing so I think the top point of enphasis is to protect the football. Truthfully if the Steelers have no turnovers on offense then this game will be halfway won.

Second I think that the Steelers offense should get physical with them. Ramsey likes to tend to feel he is getting in players' heads with his great coverage and physical play. We need hard blocks thrown by JuJu to spring Bell. JuJu making catches in the middle of the field and stiff arming guys like Ramsey and Bouye to the ground as they try to help make tackles. The same for Bell, stiff arming these guys to the ground while they try to provide run support.

The offense needs to take the physical battle to their defense. Test their manhood then talk and let them know about it. Doing these things on offense as well as not giving them turnovers renders them powerless. It erases both the physical and mental edge that they like to play with. It will frustrate them and make them crack causing them to start drawing flags.

The defense is the head of the snake. Cut it off by not only scoring on them, but by doing what I mentioned to them every single play for 60 full minutes.

Fire Goodell
01-08-2018, 01:44 AM
The jagoffs faded and we are gonna smoke them like we did Miami

I'm really not convinced that they're better than us, and their win was a fluke.

EzraTank
01-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Blake Bortles completed 12 of 23 passes for 87 yards and a touchdown against the Bills.

But he ran for more yards than he passed and KILLED the Bills defense getting huge first downs. All the more reason to play man to man, load the box and STAY IN YOUR LANES. Let them come to you.

If you remember history in 2007 the Jags won in Pittsburgh then beat them again in the playoffs in Pittsburgh. But F history!

Ben needs to use his patented "pump fake" and run a lot of double moves to beat the Jags aggressive pass defense. Ramsey loves to jump routes and this can be used against him. It all comes down to running and throwing perfect timed routes. Even the best defense in the world can't stop timed passes that lead receivers. If Ben and the offense can do that we will win. Bortles can't hit sand throwing in a desert and his timing is pathetic. Keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his ARM and we win. Stack the box, play your lanes, and don't let Fournette or Bortles run.

Rotorhead
01-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Is the Bills Def really that good? Because the Jags were not able to do anything against them. If we use the Bills Def gameplan and are as effective, then we win this game as our offense is far far better than the Bills. We are better at every level.

polamalubeast
01-08-2018, 10:40 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Bills Def really that good? Because the Jags were not able to do anything against them. If we use the Bills Def gameplan and are as effective, then we win this game as our offense is far far better than the Bills. We are better at every level.

Not great

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2017.htm

86WARD
01-08-2018, 10:51 AM

The Bills Defense is pretty decent.

Steelers stop the run, stop the scramble and they’ll win the defensive side of the ball.

Heavy dose of Bell both on the ground and as a checkdown; shallow crosses to JuJu and they’ll be fine. Same type of game plan that they’ve used recently.

Edman
01-08-2018, 10:55 AM
If you remember history in 2007 the Jags won in Pittsburgh then beat them again in the playoffs in Pittsburgh. But F history

It was Mike Tomlin's first season, and grinded the team into dust at that point. If the Steelers weren't beaten here, New England would destroy them the following week. Plus Jacksonville actually was a better team than Pittsburgh. They were an impressive 12-4 in 2007.

Willie Parker was out with an broken leg and were the Steelers stuck with Dookie Davenport at RB.

This definitely one game where its set for Ben to embarrass the Jaguars Defense. Jacksonville is good, but inexperienced and is going into this with the idea that they have the answer for the Steelers Offense and can just duplicate the performance of Week 5. A couple of pump fakes should throw them off balance.

polamalubeast
01-08-2018, 11:01 AM
It was Mike Tomlin's first season, and grinded the team into dust at that point. If the Steelers weren't beaten here, New England would destroy them the following week. Plus Jacksonville actually was a better team than Pittsburgh. They were an impressive 12-4.

Willie Parker was out with an broken leg and were the Steelers stuck with Dookie Davenport at RB.

The jaguars were also the favorites for this games in 2007 and they have almost choked against us....This year, the Steelers are favorite by 7 points.

Also, as you say, the steelers were not healthy for this game in 2007 it was ridiculous.No Parker,no Aaron Smith and some others who played was not healthy like Polamalu and others.

polamalubeast
01-08-2018, 11:14 AM

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Ho do Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts get to call a playoff game. That duo is in the Don Criqui-Beasley Reece level of talent. :doh:

DesertSteel
01-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Ho do Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts get to call a playoff game. That duo is in the Don Criqui-Beasley Reece level of talent. :doh:
Fortunately, they usually turn the crowd noise up so loud that I can't even understand what these guys are saying most of the time.

tube517
01-08-2018, 11:44 AM

Beasley Reece level is just bad.

Eagle and Fouts are the #2 team. That's scary.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cbs-sports-unveils-new-look-booth-pairings-for-upcoming-2017-nfl-season/

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Beasley Reece level is just bad.

Eagle and Fouts are the #2 team. That's scary.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cbs-sports-unveils-new-look-booth-pairings-for-upcoming-2017-nfl-season/

I used to think Fouts was just a vanilla, down the middle guy with some good QB insight from all his experience and Ian Eagle is McLovin from Superbad. But Fouts definitely has an anti Steelers bias and in hindsight McLovin is so much more insightful and animated than Eagle.

tube517
01-08-2018, 12:04 PM
I used to think Fouts was just a vanilla, down the middle guy with some good QB insight from all his experience and Ian Eagle is McLovin from Superbad. But Fouts definitely has an anti Steelers bias and in hindsight McLovin is so much more insightful and animated than Eagle.

You win the internet!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2018, 12:25 PM
You win the internet!

I'm just sayin'
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/images/photos/thumbnail/2011/04/12/92786_KD0217.jpghttp://www.namespedia.com/image/Mclovin_8.jpg

vinny600
01-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Just watched Steelers/Jags game from week 5 and I feel much better about this rematch. We actually moved the ball rather well on them the whole game. The biggest problem I see is 3 red zone trips, 3 field goals. We have to score 7 when we get in the red zone. Plus I had forgotten that Ben did connect with AB for a TD that was called back on a Decastro hold.

I also hadn’t remembered that both the pick 6’s were rather fluke. The first one was tipped at the LOS (which Jacksonville is very good at so not totally by chance), and the second one was tipped out of AB’s hands by Ramsey straight to the safety. One of the other interceptions JuJu fell down so it looks like Ben threw it straight to the safety when in reality it would have been right where JuJu should have been. Also on the last INT it should have been Defensive holding because Ramsey yanked AB to the ground by his arm. Oh and the AB TD that was called back was against Ramsey, whom AB owned that game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

teegre
01-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Just watched Steelers/Jags game from week 5 and I feel much better about this rematch. We actually moved the ball rather well on them the whole game. The biggest problem I see is 3 red zone trips, 3 field goals. We have to score 7 when we get in the red zone. Plus I had forgotten that Ben did connect with AB for a TD that was called back on a Decastro hold.

I also hadn’t remembered that both the pick 6’s were rather fluke. The first one was tipped at the LOS (which Jacksonville is very good at so not totally by chance), and the second one was tipped out of AB’s hands by Ramsey straight to the safety. One of the other interceptions JuJu fell down so it looks like Ben threw it straight to the safety when in reality it would have been right where JuJu should have been. Also on the last INT it should have been Defensive holding because Ramsey yanked AB to the ground by his arm. Oh and the AB TD that was called back was against Ramsey, whom AB owned that game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good points.

Good post.

Welcme to the board.

polamalubeast
01-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Edman
01-08-2018, 03:24 PM

A Million Stan Humphrieses will never match Tim Tebow. Nothing will top losing to Tim Tebow in 2011. Nothing. Blake Bortles isn't good, but at least he can throw the ball at the pro level.

EzraTank
01-08-2018, 03:29 PM
A Million Stan Humphrieses will never match Tim Tebow. Nothing will top losing to Tim Tebow in 2011. Nothing. Blake Bortles isn't good, but at least he can throw the ball at the pro level.

Did you watch yesterday's game? He was brutal, and made Trent Dilfer look like Joe Montana.

polamalubeast
01-08-2018, 03:47 PM

DesertSteel
01-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Getting Borltled would be worse than getting Tebowed.

SteelerFanInStl
01-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Agreed. Bortles is a way better NFL QB than Tebow ever was (not saying that he's good). Bortles, Carr, Manning, Prescott and Dalton all had very similar years this year and they were all better than Mariota, Flacco, Cutler and many others. He's far from the worst starting QB in the NFL. He's just average.

polamalubeast
01-08-2018, 05:08 PM

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkNice observations!!! Welcome to the board!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 11:56 AM

tube517
01-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Why? Steelers use a fullback. Isn't that a dealbreaker for Arians??? :chuckle:

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 02:26 PM

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2018, 02:59 PM
40% of Bortles' throws have been crossing routes (22%) or non-screen passes to RB's (18%). Throw in screen passes and this dude is seriously allergic to throwing past 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Hilton is going to be huge for us

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000904725/article/divisional-round-one-undertheradar-storyline-for-each-team

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Villanueva says the Steelers started preparing for the Jaguars last week, assumed they would win.

Ben is also undefeated in home Divisional round playoff games (3-0) and (5-1) overall in all Divisional round playoff games (The lone loss being his start with a separated shoulder against the Broncos in 2015 with no Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, or Deangelo Williams)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-2017-2018-preview-playoffs-divisional-round-news-updates-roster-depth-chart-tickets-jaguars-how-to-watch/2018/1/9/16866582/despite-what-was-said-steelers-had-prepared-for-the-jaguars-during-the-bye-week-afc-playoffs-nfl

polamalubeast
01-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Villanueva says the Steelers started preparing for the Jaguars last week, assumed they would win.

Ben is also undefeated in home Divisional round playoff games (3-0) and (5-1) overall in all Divisional round playoff games (The lone loss being his start with a separated shoulder against the Broncos in 2015 with no Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, or Deangelo Williams)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-2017-2018-preview-playoffs-divisional-round-news-updates-roster-depth-chart-tickets-jaguars-how-to-watch/2018/1/9/16866582/despite-what-was-said-steelers-had-prepared-for-the-jaguars-during-the-bye-week-afc-playoffs-nfl

It was the good decision of the steelers to prepare against the Jaguars and I'm not surprised.

This is not the first time a team has done that ... Jim Harbaugh did the same thing in 2011, preparing for the saints during their bye week....

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Mojouw
01-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Filling gaps, staying in assigned lanes, not over-pursuing, and then getting the guy on the ground will be the defensive keys against the Jags. So much of their offense is running and then yards after the catch by receivers after they get you going one way and go back the other way...

...Unfortunately, several of those things have been constant struggles for the Steelers defense this year. If the defense that played KC shows up they are good. If the defense that played the Bears shows up -- Ben and the offense better score 45.

Shoes
01-09-2018, 07:56 PM
The first Jags game is still a burr in Bens A$$. I think we will see Ben super focused and very aggressive (in a good way). The gut playing starts on both sides of the ball this weekend. They have the added motivation to bring home #7 for Dan Rooney and Ryan Shazier. And everyone wants to see James Harrison reject his ring since he didn't earn it. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
01-10-2018, 08:29 AM

polamalubeast
01-10-2018, 09:46 AM

polamalubeast
01-10-2018, 01:15 PM

tube517
01-10-2018, 03:00 PM

polamalubeast
01-10-2018, 03:13 PM

polamalubeast
01-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Fire Goodell
01-10-2018, 04:11 PM
Well shit...

Good thing we signed Alualu, he's been solid when given PT

Rotorhead
01-10-2018, 04:19 PM
WTF is up with all the practice injuries? Burns and now Tuitt?

Hawkman
01-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Well shit...

Good thing we signed Alualu, he's been solid when given PT

I was hoping for 4 down linemen in some sets......and dare Bortles to throw it.

Fire Goodell
01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
I was hoping for 4 down linemen in some sets......and dare Bortles to throw it.

True, well I hope the sling was just precautionary. We can't afford to get injuries before we even play 1 game

Rotorhead
01-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Here is the latest I could find on both teams for injury reports (it is from BSPN so take it for what it is):

If these are accurate, there will be a heavy dose of Bell to open up the passing game this week. Looks like Tuitt is minor so no issue there. Burns is the biggest question mark. Hopefully he will be good to go by game day.

Cornerback Artie Burns (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3051921/artie-burns) (knee) was a new addition to the injury report on Wednesday. The Steelers need all the corner help they can get after allowing 10 passing plays of 40-plus yards over the past eight weeks. His recovery over the next four days will be crucial. Defensive end Stephon Tuitt (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16798/stephon-tuitt) (elbow) also appeared on the report, but I'm hearing his injury is minor. And good news for the Steelers: Wide receiver Antonio Brown (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/13934/antonio-brown) (calf) was a full participant at practice, and teammates said he looked like his normal self.

After being relatively healthy on defense all season, the Jaguars have three linebackers banged up: Telvin Smith (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16891/telvin-smith) (ankle), Paul Posluszny (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/10478/paul-posluszny) (abdomen) and Blair Brown (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2980639/blair-brown) (foot). Smith is the team's emotional leader and the best playmaker, so he's the most important of the three, especially since he'd likely be covering running back Le'Veon Bell (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15825/le%27veon-bell). Brown was injured in Wednesday's practice, which could be an issue if Posluszny cannot play as he was next in line. That would likely force the Jaguars to stay in nickel most of Sunday's game.

AtlantaDan
01-11-2018, 12:24 PM

Born2Steel
01-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Will miss the games this weekend due to an out of town basketball tournament. So, here's what I think will happen:

Steelers will beat the Jags, and this one won't even be close.

Patriots will find a way to once again exploit a Lebeau defense and send the Titans home.

The Falcons go into Philly and beat the Eagles for another road playoff win.

Maybe the best matchup, on paper, for this weekend, the Saints at Vikings. Both defenses are playing well. I think the Saints have more weapons and will out last the Vikes.

See everyone back on here Sunday evening or Monday morning, and you guys can let me have it for how wrong my predictions were. Enjoy!

Rotorhead
01-11-2018, 12:57 PM
I actually agree with you on all those outcomes.

AtlantaDan
01-11-2018, 02:13 PM

Hope so, but I doubt Tuitt would say "yeah, I doubt I will go Sunday" even if that was how it is looking

86WARD
01-11-2018, 03:26 PM
I think a lot of people are taking this Jags team way too lightly. This teams defense is better than good. They are premiere. Best outside rushers in the league. Probably top-5 DT tandem in the league and we don’t need to mention how good the DBs are. If Ben throws two interceptions (he averaged 2.5 per playoff season and heard something that he’s thrown an average of 2 at home in playoff games) this team is screwed. They’ll fall right into the hands of the Jags Defense. Especially if the Jags are aggressive, which I expect they will be. They’re pretty much playing with nothing to lose...which makes them even more dangerous. If they can hit a couple deep passes to get Bortles confidence, Ben turns the ball over twice, the steal a possession, the Jags Defense can hold their foot down on the Steelers and Pittsburgh may not come back. As this game gets closer, I’m getting worried...people are taking the Jags very lightly...hopefully the team isn’t.

tube517
01-11-2018, 03:32 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/steelers-playoff-injury-report-burns-tuitt-hargrave-sit-thursdays-practice/

Steelers Playoff Injury Report: Burns, Tuitt, Hargrave All Sit Out Thursday’s Practice

Hargrave now with a back injury

Rotorhead
01-11-2018, 05:15 PM
I think a lot of people are taking this Jags team way too lightly. This teams defense is better than good. They are premiere. Best outside rushers in the league. Probably top-5 DT tandem in the league and we don’t need to mention how good the DBs are. If Ben throws two interceptions (he averaged 2.5 per playoff season and heard something that he’s thrown an average of 2 at home in playoff games) this team is screwed. They’ll fall right into the hands of the Jags Defense. Especially if the Jags are aggressive, which I expect they will be. They’re pretty much playing with nothing to lose...which makes them even more dangerous. If they can hit a couple deep passes to get Bortles confidence, Ben turns the ball over twice, the steal a possession, the Jags Defense can hold their foot down on the Steelers and Pittsburgh may not come back. As this game gets closer, I’m getting worried...people are taking the Jags very lightly...hopefully the team isn’t.

That is a lot of "ifs". If Been throws 2 INT's, If Bortles plays good, If our running game doesnt get going, If their DL outplays our OL . . . and we have a pretty good defense also, not to mention the best WR in the game, the best RB in the game, the best rookie WR in the game, Ben playing far better than earlier in the year and I think Gilbert was out the first game. I am not taking the Jags lightly, I just like our talent far far better than that of the Jags.

polamalubeast
01-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Worst case scenario again....

ShoeHorn
01-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Don’t forget about the weather. Florida teams have always sucked in cold weather and Sunday looks to be freezing. Many of the Jags key players have spent their entire college and pro careers in the south. Here’s hoping they have no interest in playing football when they can’t feel their toes for the first time in their life!

FrancoLambert
01-11-2018, 07:34 PM
WTF is up with all the practice injuries? Burns and now Tuitt?

And now Hargrave.

Yeah....the bye week certainly gave us the chance to get healthier.

teegre
01-11-2018, 07:40 PM

AB has 10 for 157 against them... with a TD called back.

20 of the Jaguars’ points came off of 4 INTs (two pick-sixes and two chip-shot FGs).

SUMMATION:
As long as BB doesn’t throw 5 INTs, the Steelers should be good... because, Bortles can’t score without a shortened field.

86WARD
01-12-2018, 12:31 PM
3 INTs were because Ben was either being hit or in the grasp. IF the O-Line doesn’t keep him clean, those INTs could show up again.

86WARD
01-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Worst case scenario again....

Yes. I was tired of being the positive guy around here...

86WARD
01-12-2018, 12:33 PM
AB sat out and sent home from practice with illness. Tomlin says he should play Sunday as long as he’s over “the bug”.

Tuitt and Burns full participants in practice.

Mojouw
01-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Yes. I was tired of being the positive guy around here...

I agree with you. There is A LOT to be worried about in this game. Also, if I was in charge of the Jags on offense, I would subvert expectations on the Steelers. I would use play action and then just have Bortles fling it deep. He can't complete high % passes anyway, so go with the big play shot. Not like the Steelers have had NO MASSIVE problems with deep passes...

AtlantaDan
01-12-2018, 01:20 PM
AB sat out and sent home from practice with illness. Tomlin says he should play Sunday as long as he’s over “the bug”.

Tuitt and Burns full participants in practice.

If AB has the real deal flu that has been going around he will be sick for a week - even Toradol cannot fix that

teegre
01-12-2018, 02:10 PM
If AB has the real deal flu that has been going around he will be sick for a week - even Toradol cannot fix that

Crap. Just like last season, when 15 of the Steelers got the flu the week before the AFCCG.

Mojouw
01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
More here on how and where the defense is vulnerable: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2018/afc-divisional-round-playoff-preview-2018

Also this nugget that is sure to make heads explode: "He [Haden] actually hasn't charted too well this year, and certainly not better than Artie Burns (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/49392/artie-burns), who has had his own share of struggles in this defense. According to Sports Info Solutions, Haden allowed 7.3 yards per pass (ranked 52nd), compared to 6.5 yards per pass for Burns (ranked 30th)."

teegre
01-12-2018, 02:25 PM
More here on how and where the defense is vulnerable: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2018/afc-divisional-round-playoff-preview-2018

Also this nugget that is sure to make heads explode: "He [Haden] actually hasn't charted too well this year, and certainly not better than Artie Burns (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/49392/artie-burns), who has had his own share of struggles in this defense. According to Sports Info Solutions, Haden allowed 7.3 yards per pass (ranked 52nd), compared to 6.5 yards per pass for Burns (ranked 30th)."

Interesting.

That said, there was a stat from a few week ago back, that showed that the Steelers were like 27th in ppg given up without Haden, but 1st in ppg when Haden does play.

Mojouw
01-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Interesting.

That said, there was a stat from a few week ago back, that showed that the Steelers were like 27th in ppg given up without Haden, but 1st in ppg when Haden does play.

I think I saw something like that too. Wonder if they are more willing to leave Haden and Burns on islands when both are in the line-up. Allows doubles and pressure from others?

I just wish the secondary generated more turnovers. They just don't seem to get their hands on a lot of passes. I have no idea why...

AtlantaDan
01-12-2018, 02:46 PM
I think I saw something like that too. Wonder if they are more willing to leave Haden and Burns on islands when both are in the line-up. Allows doubles and pressure from others?

I just wish the secondary generated more turnovers. They just don't seem to get their hands on a lot of passes. I have no idea why...

This nugget in terms of watching TJ Watt for defensive scheme

Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler is known for slot blitzing, but he’s also a proponent of rushing three and dropping eight into coverage. This would be a great way to contain Blake Bortles’s scrambling and force the struggling QB to make decisions late into the down. The Steelers have a presnap tell here: If T.J. Watt is standing up over the center or guard, an eight-man coverage is on the way.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/12/divisional-playoffs-preview-eagles-falcons-patriots-titans-steelers-jaguars-saints-vikings

polamalubeast
01-12-2018, 03:01 PM
I agree that jaguars are a challenge for steelers, so the steelers need to be ready

The deep ball in defense is my biggest concern ....

86WARD
01-12-2018, 06:05 PM
I agree with you. There is A LOT to be worried about in this game. Also, if I was in charge of the Jags on offense, I would subvert expectations on the Steelers. I would use play action and then just have Bortles fling it deep. He can't complete high % passes anyway, so go with the big play shot. Not like the Steelers have had NO MASSIVE problems with deep passes...

Same. You do that and Bortles completes a couple, he’s gonna have confidence and that’s a bad thing.

Born2Steel
01-12-2018, 06:12 PM
What good does it do to sit around and worry about things we have zero control over? Not taking the Jags defense lightly at all. Their offense, maybe I am. If we take care of the things we can, we win this game. Steelers are the better team.

polamalubeast
01-12-2018, 06:24 PM
Always a lot too much worry in this forum

Our problems against deep pass are mainly because of blowns coverage.Let's hope that will be fixed because of the bye week.The steelers worked on that during the bye week.

Otherwise, each team has strengths and weaknesses and the steelers and the jaguars are not different, so do not go crazy with the best and worst case scenario.

cubanstogie
01-12-2018, 06:52 PM
I have no worries with Bortles, my worries are Fournette, Bortles threw one pass in second half last time. I suspect he’ll have a couple of big plays due to our secondary miscommunications but as long as we stop the run which includes Bortles running,Steelers will get the W.no pic sixes and hold them to fg’s. I think it’s about time for Haden to have pic 6.

Born2Steel
01-12-2018, 07:00 PM
I have no worries with Bortles, my worries are Fournette, Bortles threw one pass in second half last time. I suspect he’ll have a couple of big plays due to our secondary miscommunications but as long as we stop the run which includes Bortles running,Steelers will get the W.no pic sixes and hold them to fg’s. I think it’s about time for Haden to have pic 6.

If you break down what the Jags offense did against us the last meeting, it comes to 9 points. 2 pick sixes, and 1 90 yard run that we cannot allow to happen this week. Take that 21 points off the board and the Jags score only 9 points. Again, we have to take care of what we do. We are the better team.

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2018, 07:20 PM
What good does it do to sit around and worry about things we have zero control over? Not taking the Jags defense lightly at all. Their offense, maybe I am. If we take care of the things we can, we win this game. Steelers are the better team.

Agreed and the Steelers won't be taking the Jags lightly. They'll be ready for this game. If anything, from what I've been reading across the web, it seems like the Jags and the national media are taking the Steelers a bit lightly based on beating us the first game.

cubanstogie
01-12-2018, 09:00 PM
I would love to see steelers come out in no huddle, and assuming they’re not going 3 and out continue with it. The more chances we have the better, as opposed to playing patsies you want to keep Marcia off field. Plus it will fatigue their D.

steel striker
01-13-2018, 08:25 AM
I think the Steelers need to get to an early lead and, control the game. We don't want the Jags to have the lead into the 4th QtR that could be dangerous and, stop the run make force Brotles to make plays. I think JUJU and, Bell could have big games with Mcdonald as well. I expect Ben to plat a great game as well.

teegre
01-13-2018, 08:37 AM
Stop the run.
Spy Blake.
Win.

AtlantaDan
01-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Forecast of 16 degrees ENE wind at 3 mph at kickoff tomorrow then rising to a toasty 17 degrees by 4 pm

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/15241:4:US

Glad to see minimal wind in forecast should not be a factor for both passing and kicking games

polamalubeast
01-13-2018, 09:55 AM

- - - Updated - - -

polamalubeast
01-13-2018, 10:22 AM

vader29
01-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Other teams fans just never learn. :thumbdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUH-GGvhIys

stillers4me
01-13-2018, 10:31 AM

tube517
01-13-2018, 10:54 AM

Tomlin playing poker again. :chuckle: :poker:

Mojouw
01-13-2018, 01:12 PM
I wish this game would just happen already. I really need to stop sitting in the dark hate watching Broncos-Steelers 2011 and trying to determine if Bortles is better or worse than Tebow!

Seriously, I’m like some Kleenex boxes for shoes and jars of pee away from being late stage Howard Hughes.

polamalubeast
01-13-2018, 01:14 PM
I wish this game would just happen already. I really need to stop sitting in the dark hate watching Broncos-Steelers 2011 and trying to determine if Bortles is better or worse than Tebow!

Seriously, I’m like some Kleenex boxes for shoes and jars of pee away from being late stage Howard Hughes.

Same thing for me!

The wait is so long and I am so nervous, like I am before each game, especially in the playoffs.

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Pretty much sums up a lot things we've been assuming: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01/film-room-wait-49ers-score-44-jacksonville/

Use the tight end and RB as outlets. Run Bell heavily and use playaction to crack Telvin's sideline to sideline speed

SteelMayhem72
01-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Sorry guys but I won't be watching, my wife is in a coma and I would appreciate any prayers you could throw my way. Love you guys, go steelers and God Bless!

Born2Steel
01-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Sorry guys but I won't be watching, my wife is in a coma and I would appreciate any prayers you could throw my way. Love you guys, go steelers and God Bless!

Take care of what you need to take care of. Prayers absolutely, no question.

cubanstogie
01-13-2018, 11:33 PM

So sorry, puts thing in perspective. Tomorrow just a game. Much more important things in life. Praying for your wife and family.

Shoes
01-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Praying for your wife & family!

Lady Steel
01-13-2018, 11:41 PM

Keeping your wife and family in my prayers. :hug:

SteelerFanInStl
01-13-2018, 11:52 PM

Sorry to hear it. My thoughts and prayers go out to your and your family.

Rotorhead
01-14-2018, 01:08 AM

Will keep your family in my thoughts.

SteelMayhem72
01-14-2018, 02:49 AM
Take care of what you need to take care of. Prayers absolutely, no question.Thanks brother

SteelMayhem72
01-14-2018, 02:49 AM
So sorry, puts thing in perspective. Tomorrow just a game. Much more important things in life. Praying for your wife and family.Thanks a lot everybody!!

SteelMayhem72
01-14-2018, 02:50 AM
Praying for your wife & family!Thanks brother

SteelMayhem72
01-14-2018, 02:51 AM
Thanks so much everybody!! Go get em Steelers!!!

01-14-2018, 03:10 AM
Very sorry to hear and prayers sent Steel Mayhem and God Bless you guys.

pczach
01-14-2018, 07:55 AM

So sorry to hear that. You take care of the things that really matter in this world. I'll be praying for both of you and keeping you in my thoughts.

Stay strong. All the best.

Moose
01-14-2018, 10:25 AM

So sorry SteelMayhem72, stay strong for your wife, she needs you and your strength now more than ever. My prayer's will be coming your way for a good, healthy recovery for your wife and family. Stay strong my friend. GOD BLESS

AtlantaDan
01-14-2018, 10:31 AM

So sorry to read what you are going tgrough

Prayers for your family and you

43Hitman
01-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Damn man, I'm really sorry to hear that. We're sending prayers to your wife and family. Be strong!

FrancoLambert
01-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Praying and hoping for a good outcome for your wife. Hang in there.

Hawkman
01-14-2018, 11:26 AM

You take care of her.....we’ll hold the fort down here for you!

Mojouw
01-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Best wishes to you and your family.

86WARD
01-14-2018, 07:01 PM
That is a lot of "ifs". If Been throws 2 INT's, If Bortles plays good, If our running game doesnt get going, If their DL outplays our OL . . . and we have a pretty good defense also, not to mention the best WR in the game, the best RB in the game, the best rookie WR in the game, Ben playing far better than earlier in the year and I think Gilbert was out the first game. I am not taking the Jags lightly, I just like our talent far far better than that of the Jags.

Well...worse case scenario...

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Well, at least we didn't blow a 17-0 halftime lead like the Vikings did. SMH.

fansince'76
01-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Praying for you all. God bless. :pray:

BostonBlackie
01-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Well, at least we didn't blow a 17-0 halftime lead like the Vikings did. SMH.

Final: Vikings 29 Saints 24

tube517
01-14-2018, 07:21 PM

Prayers sent your way.